NASA scientists and engineers use Ubuntu

>NASA scientists and engineers use Ubuntu
>half of Sup Forums can't even use it

what's your excuse smarter people than you use Ubuntu and you don't want to use it?

>but I do complex shit that I can't do on noobuntu

they program robots and space ships with that shit. what do you do?

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/16.04/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How somebody is butthurt over not installing Gentoo.

Of course you can use Ubuntu to interface with a bunch of shit. But Ubuntu is not built to allow for the lever of user interface customization I want. It's possible but I'd have to rip out a bunch of stuff and replace it. Why not start with something that is built for my interests?

>Not Linux for Niggers, the easiest to use distro

Look friend, this is my hobby. Ubuntu is great but I want to rice my desktop and have an aesthetic pleasing computer-human experience that will guide me to zen.

Also they're scientists/engineers , I'm a computer scientist. Of course I'll use some weird niche shit for the hell of it.

>they program robots and space ships with that shit

You can bet your ass I'd be programming robots and space ships if I was given access to the kinds of money NASA has.

Nasa also uses Node.JS. That doesn't make it a good thing.

i post on screenshot threads

>program
You can program with punch cards. You can program with DIP switches. Programming is one of the lowest and simplest uses for a computer there is.

>appeal to authority

>You can bet your ass I'd be programming robots and space ships if I was given access to the kinds of money NASA has.

if you are not working for NASA, Google or IBM is because you are not that good

>NASA, Google or IBM
I'm not american and not interested in wworking for a big company at this point. I'm also not good enough, but that's not the main reason I don't work at those places.

that's not entirely true.

I am not talking about you liking them or not. They are top institutions that create shit that change the world.

even if you don't like them, they do things most people (and you) can do because of their lack of knowledge

some say you could do that with the net installer but i dont believe it

>I want to rice my desktop and have an aesthetic pleasing computer-human experience that will guide me to zen.
then you don't care about "Linux", you care about your desktop environment

this

bro, can you please speak coherently? I have no idea what youre saying, or what point youre trying to make

If NASA used node.js, would it make node.js better? Oh. They already do.

NASA contracts most of their designs out you dumb fuck.

It's not only NASA, Ubuntu server has become the de-facto cloud server OS for biggest technology companies.

If you use Ubuntu or Debian on your home PC you automatically acquire valuable sysadmin/devops skillset. Just by using it.

Given such advantages using broken hobbyist distros is idiotic.

They had to standardize on something. Obviously they went with the default user interface on the most popular and well supported free (as in beer) Linux distro. They also can afford top of the line workstations, so are not concerned with the GUI being bloated.

Maybe you should tell us what point youre even trying to make? There are plenty of people on Sup Forums who use Ubuntu. I personally run both Debian and Lubuntu. I prefer Debian, but my desktop runs Lubuntu, as it allows hassle free installation of GPU drivers, and I use my desktop for Linux gaming. I dont run Unity because I dont like it.

Ubuntu does indeed have a Net Installer. It is even lighter than Debians Net Install

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/16.04/

check out all dem supported architectures :^)

arm64, armhf, ppc64el, ppc 32-bit, ppc 64-bit, ppc e500mc, s390x

The ISO is like 40MB, so yeah, its obviously minimal

Sup fags, tinkering robotics fag here. I use Debian on most of my tinkering shit (read: raspberry pis, Arduinos, etc.) because so many popular distros are based upon it, because there's distros of it adapted specifically for most of the hardware I use, and because it therefore is very likely to have a compatible solution to a given problem already written. If I were NASA I'd use Ubuntu, because it's one of the few distros that has professional support (via Canonical), and because lots of tinkerer shit is targeted towards Ubuntu users to encourage wider adoption.

When I did computer-based X-ray scatter processing of biomolecular structures in undergrad, we used largely Red Hat with KDE. I assume this was, again, because Red Hat was professionally maintained. We did modeling that relied on iterated Monte Carlo simulations trying to reproduce scattering curves, which was very processor and data intensive, and much of the software we used was written in-house. Most of the staff used Macs because of the education discount, and because (they said, anyway) it was more easily cross-compatible with the servers' *nix environment. In grad school doing cryoelectron microscopy, we used Red Hat for most heavy lifting 3D processing, because we wrote/modified that ourselves and it's easier to fuck with the guts, but Windows for electron microscope data gathering and raw image processing, because that's how the microscope company wrote the software blobs.

tl;dr it just werkz

Fucking dumb n00b

There are a lot of small companies which make high level tech shit that bigger companies buy

Being a CRUD codemonkey at a big company like IBM doesn't take an enormous amount of skill.

No I work at nasa and one of my colleagues installed Gentoo on some machines unironically

this, honestly

anybody who isn't a fucking faggot uses numerous distros depending on their needs, it's lowkey autistic to insist on golden hammering your chosen code chunk into every conceivable niche of computing

This. The amount of manchildren brainlets here is disgusting