When did you realize that free software really is the last hope?

When did you realize that free software really is the last hope?
All other technology is being carved up and partitioned by the rent-seeking megacorporations.
The TPP will extend copyright protections to 500 years and make it impossible to use any word longer than 4 letters without getting a C&D.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/intel-me-and-why-we-should-get-rid-of-me
libreboot.org/
libreboot.org/faq/#amd
github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/X200-X201-Hardware-Flashing-with-Raspeberry-Pi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just a couple of months ago.

>rent-seeking

What?

>rent-seeking
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking

I only recently started giving a shit about free software, and it's lame how misinformed (or pretty much brain washed) most people are.

Reminder to vote for Donald Trump. Trump has spoken against the TPP and called it a horrible deal.

But he is also for government backdoors in encryption.

Donald Trump supports NSA surveillance.

Reminder that Intel has backdoors in all CPUs newer than ~2009.

fsf.org/blogs/licensing/intel-me-and-why-we-should-get-rid-of-me

Libreboot can remove it, but only on older hardware.

AMD has something similar on hardware newer than 2013.

>amd has hardware never than 2013
what?

>AMD has something similar on hardware newer than 2013.
source?

Does anyone have an infographic about TPP?

libreboot.org/

libreboot.org/faq/#amd

Why is this forum full of inane comments?

I'm in tears.
I really thought AMD was better than this.

No, Richard, it's just fucking Linux!

Oops forgot my name, sorry guys.

I think that someone needs to break the AMD/Intel oligopoly on mainstream CPUs.

What are you reffering to as Windows is, in fact, PissOfFuckingShit/Windows or as I've recently taken to calling it, HorribleInaneUsedByRetards/Windows.

Most people aren't taught about freedom in software so therefore, they are only taught about submitting to the owners of proprietary software.

Hi guys. I heard I have some fans here. SING WITH ME : oh baby baby baby ooooooooooh baby baby baby noooo

I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL

It's OK to use the abbreviation “PC” to refer to a certain kind of computer hardware, but please don't use it with the implication that the computer is running Microsoft Windows. If you install GNU/Linux on the same computer, it is still a PC.

The term “WC” has been suggested for a computer running Windows.
-RMS

wait you're not banned yet?

Also the products made by Apple should be named like this : iPhone - iFag , Mac - Shit of dog

Your comment is inane

Free software is beatiful, but it is like art and won't make you earn a living (except for a few very special cases when it happened).
In most cases you will end up writing proprietary programs if you consider CS as your career.
There's no other way.

That's right. Please consider donating to FSF so I can go buy some nice burritos. Thank you!

You fucking obese piece of shit, don't call it GNU/Linux again.

Most software is not proprietary though. The majority of software is written and designed in house, whee all users of the software have the four freedoms.

It's actually GNU/Emacs/Linux.

Sweet. Do you have a guide how to flash the X200 using the Pi? What version of Pi is that btw?

That is right. Developers who create proprietary software should die.

I don't know, I own a laptop with libre hardware.

This is the guide I used:
github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/X200-X201-Hardware-Flashing-with-Raspeberry-Pi

It is the pi 2b.

This person is either confused or a troll:

>free software spiel
>on a closed source imageboard

lel it's like pottery

Thx user. One final thing: what did you use as your power source? ATX psu?

The pi has 3.3v pins that work fine for flashing. Some people get an external PSU, but it is not usually needed.

Holy shit, nice. I was always weary of fiddling about with the power side of things.

Cheers familam

Yeah, the process was very straightforward.

I am currently working on librebooting a t400 I got free as in beer from work, and a t500 I got for $30. On those models you have to remove the motherboard and the heatsink to get to the BIOS chip. I fixed that design flaw with my rotary tool.

>all those deletions

Holy fuck it removed my system32!

Thanks janitor for deleting all the namefags.

Hmm, I am contemplating removing the whole board etc. while I'm in there to change the thermal pad with paste. Now I'll need to get a new Pi.

>I fixed that design flaw with my rotary tool

kek

I think all versions of the PI work fine for librebooting. I just got the newest one that was available when I did mine so that I could use it for other things as well. Also, for me it was a lot easier to ssh into the pi than to use a monitor and keyboard plugged into the pi. There were a lot less cables to deal with and a smaller chance of bumping the bios clip.

Better kill yourself you fucking faggot. Just use Windows and stop thinking you are special. Do something productive, you disgust me, freetard. Go and find a job, stop fapping to Stallman. Fucking disgusting freetard, tired of this shit, worthless whore. I hate all these freetards who can't contribute to something, instead they tip their fedoras all day.

I'll probably get one of the later ones as I have the original and it is painful to use.

Must feel good if not relieving when the libreboot screen shows up for the first time.

Fookin saved XDDDDDDDD

I am back. Now who the fuck banned me. Who. Tell me who. This is a retard site filled with retards, just use Windows and so something productive. Linux is shit. Fuck you mods, FUCK YOU!!!!! If someone bans me again, his mother will fucking die!! I pry to satan every night so be careful motherfucker, I'm coming for you

This bothers me because SEA has always been my escape plan; if life gets too shitty i was going to go live in like Malaysia or something. But never mind now.

Where are your dubs??????

Get out

You get out, it's my fucking board!!!!!!!!!!!! Le summer XDDDDDDD

lt was 2007

Who the fuck are you? Who is this? Satan is coming :DDdDD :(((((((((( fuck run

>read this
>see your post in the other /tech/ board
>had to do a double take

jej. got an x200 waiting to be librebooted myself, messed it up the first and second time going at it. should get motivated to try it again some time soon.

Long time ago, but more recently I realized how unfree the GPL is and how much more free BSD/MIT are.

Nothing wrong with people using the GPL but it's not really free because it restricts what I can do.

I don't give a fuck what stallman says is 'free' or not. That guy is going to ruin his lifes work in his last years because he can't hand the torch and fights silly battles like calling it GNU/Linux

>peaceful
>educator and mentor
>gives the result of his labor to others for free
>works to promote user freedom-- for free
>derided and despised by the powers that be
>yfw when you realize that RMS is actually the Jesus of computing not Jobs

>have a job writing software for research institute
>use Linux full-time at work and at home
>married to an 8/10 programmer waifu
>whiny douche on Sup Forums goes full retard-- "get a job! Do something productive. Stop fapping to Stallman"

The GPL only restricts others from making your code non free. I think that there are places for GPL and the BSD/MIT licenses.

I do agree with Torvalds that the GPLv2 is better in many ways than v3 though, but they both have their uses.

It also restricts distribution of any software that uses it without making the source or the GPL-licensed components in it available. This is problematic if your software is essentially a bunch of pieces of GPL glues together with some proprietary code, because the research it took to design this architecture encompasses much of the intellectual property of the new software. In other words people can figure out how your proprietary software works just by knowing (some) of the ingredients.

source of the GPL-licensed*

>When did you realize that proprietary software really is the last hope?
FTFY

I have completely given up on Linux after trying millions of different distros. Linux is a huge fucking joke as a desktop OS. It's literally unusable garbage whose best function is to serve as a ricing OS to show off in desktop threads. That's literally it.

You really do get what you pay for. In this case literally something unusable.

If you use it text only it shouldn't be slow. I used SSH for commands and I used SFTP so that I could prepare all of the files on my computer and copy them over with thunar.

Yeah, I just copied and pasted my post from lainchan instead of retyping it all. What caused your flash to fail the first time? Mine went through well once I had all of the pins connected properly.

Try getting a job in IT in your shitty free software utopia.

That is exactly what it is designed to stop. People who use the GPL license want to be able to use the changes that others make and for others to be able to use their changes. If you make GPL code proprietary then the people who use it do not have freedom, and you do not contribute anything back.

What runs on 99% of supercomputers and runs 80% of webservers?

I like how Trumptards never reply when they're given huge obvious facts that ruin their delusions. It's like they go catatonic for a few hours until they have fully erased the inconvenient information from their mind.

That wasn't his question you cuckfuck

Most jobs in IT use at least some free software.

I'm pretty sure Intel AMT can be disabled with a simple setting toggle in the BIOS/UEFI setup. Or does it continue to run in the background even when disabled or something like that?

>The AMD firmware has a major security flaw because if a virus infects it, it will have control over the entire computer
>The AMD firmware is a "tyrant" by preventing any BIOS that is not signed by AMD from booting

Okay? The latter sounds a lot like a solution to the former theorical problem.

You have to really want to install malware in your BIOS for that to even have a chance of happening.

There are certain components that you can disable, but some still run always. Also, there is no way for you to know if it actually stopped running. The new CPUs also require proprietary blobs to function.

But you need to run proprietary code to get the CPU to function. So you as the owner of the computer have no idea what is written in that code, and what it is executing.

Oh, you got a computer from "work"? What do you do at your job, user? Does you or anyone at your employer program software for a living?

It infringes on my freedoms to choose who gets to see my changes.

What kills me even more is fsf projects require you to legally give ownership to them (giving them the ability to change licences with out my permission - even to a proprietary license.)

Emacs is a good example of a project that actively dissuades folks from contributing new features.

first time was the power supply. second i'm really not sure what the problem was.

You don't understand.

Proprietary software is what makes jobs programming software economically viable.

I am not defending the abuses of any big business here. I want things to change for the best. But forcing GPL licensing on everything is throwing the baby with the bathwater and would deprive many of us of the amazing privilege if earning our living doing what we love.

Free software can make you as much money as plumbing or building or cabinet making or architecting. You just don't understand how because you only understand one way to make money in software.

Considering we're talking about the CPU, chances are that it does not run code of its own accord 99.9% of the time or that would be a serious performance problem.

Lot of jobs is integration and maintaining of software.

Provably lot more of those jobs than jobs writing just straight up software which is expensive.

only fucking plebs think jobs is the anything similar to computing. he never even coded

The "freedom to choose who gets to see your modifications" is not a freedom at all. It is a power that harms the users of the software.

You don't understand what the FSF requires in their projects. What they require is the implicit right to change the license of the software that are a part of the GNU project. They change the license with your implicit permission. You are allowed to contribute as many new features as you desire but they will not accept it into their distribution system if you are not willing to allow them to choose the license that they want to distribute it.

>Proprietary software is what makes jobs programming software economically viable.
This is false.

>I have completely given up on Linux after trying millions of different distros. Linux is a huge fucking joke as a desktop OS. It's literally unusable garbage whose best function is to serve as a ricing OS to show off in desktop threads. That's literally it.
Depends what you need to do. I'm a programmer, I definitely prefer Linux for my work. It's simply a lot cleaner than Windows. I like bash more than Powershell, I like having a fully fleshed out package manager, I like the way Linux handles permissions, environment variables, the file system, the window manager, etc. more than Windows. I could go on.

It's fine as for MOST people as a desktop OS, especially now that everything is moving to the browser. My parents use Ubuntu and they aren't tech savvy at all. Ubuntu runs far better on their old laptop than Windows. All I had to do is show them how to start the browser, how to use the word processor, how to install updates. That's all they need. That's all most people need.

That said Linux is definitely lacking in some areas, I don't see how most creative professionals could do their work on Linux. All the best creative software is on Mac or Windows. And of course gaming is lacking, everybody knows that.

I understand that. My point is just that it dissuades some people from using it in their software. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is debatable, and I'm not here to debate it. Just stating the fact

I work at a computer repair shop.

There are businesses that make money on free software. Companies like Redhat sell support for their software.

Most software is not proprietary software, the majority of software is written in house for businesses, and everyone using it has the four freedoms.

Open source is bullshit for startups. You make a good startup and open source it, guess what MS or IBM or Google are just going to take your code and idea and do it much faster and better and sell it before you've even got 100 users. If discord was open source it would be dead. Same with utorrent, before it died anyway. Same with anything. Open source is a meme people contribute to so they can put it on their resumes for a real job.

It's too bad that open source does not concern Stallman one bit.

I don't see how proprietary software is inherently bad. Stallman mostly talks about how proprietary software is evil as if that is just an accepted fact. He makes the ridiculous accusation that not making your software effectively public property is an evil thing because... well if you don't, then you are controlling people!

Also, the FSF are a bunch of whiny children who want their way and their way only. They are mad at the open source crowd because they don't open their source for the right reasons. It doesn't get much more childish and petty than that.

Unless you have a groundbreaking algorithm ala Pied Piper, free and open are functionally the same. They both mean anyone else can take your idea and sell it.

Except for the fact that people sell open software all the time. This works because most people are not willing to compile stuff from source and support it themselves.

I don't want to run proprietary software on my computer, because I want to know what I am running. With proprietary software, the software does not have to tell you everything it is doing.

Windows 10 is an example of a program that has malicious features baked in. If it were free software, you could easily find and remove all of those features.

Supporters of Open Source and Free Software work together on almost everything, even though the FSF does not like their ideology.

Sometimes people with different goals result in the same outcome. That doesn't imply the goals are the same. A company whose business model is open source is not the same as a company whose business model involves free software but is not open source.

Whoever controls the software controls the user. For example, if you install MS Windows, your computer is controlled by Microsoft, it will not be controlled by you. This is inherently evil because this situation means that the software owner holds power over the user who uses the software. Stallman is not mad at the open source crowd. Stallman is mad at anybody who writes and distributes proprietary software.

There seems to be no better place to ask this, what is wrong with so called tyrant devices? I mean from hardware manufacturer's perspective it's okay to say this device is designed only to run this software. If it's a critical component it's probably more like a must.

I do think forcing people to only use certain versions of software is bad but it's not like devastating bad. And when you say my software should be run everywhere then you are becoming something like a benevolent tyrant, but a tyrant nevertheless.

And lastly, Tivo did nothing wrong.

Whenever I buy a machine, that machine should be obeying me who owns the machine and not the manufacturer/distributor who built the machine. If I feel that the software needs to be modified to suit my own purposes, then the machine should not be designed to disable itself at the will of the manufacturer. This is what it means to be defective by design.

About 2 years ago, when I got my first job in the industry after leaving college.