/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.parabola.
wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd
archhurd.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BusyBox
howtogeek.com/211144/how-to-get-windows-and-linux-clocks-to-display-the-correct-and-matching-time-dual-boot/
pretentiousname.com/timesync/
download.thinkbroadband.com/1GB.zip
rg3.github.com/youtube-dl/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration
aur.archlinux.org/packages/lib32-gnutls28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first

Real new thread

Fuck off (thanks for the bump tho).

no u

What software can I use to control another computer remotely? Mainly to check that the temps are fine, turn it off, make it download and seed torrents. I'm willing to install any distro or even BSD, and I don't care if the tool doesn't have a GUI (but it would be better if it had one). Both computers would be connected in LAN.

ssh secure shell

see

I hate when you guys do this, it's just nonsense.

Already abandoned that thread because it was shit. You're one of those retards that call GNU/Linux Linux.

This.

Blame the OP of this thread. He was too autistic to accept that GNUless Linux things do exist and created this thread.

No I'm not. I'm one of the people who accept that it's been known as Linux for years and that GNU/Linux isn't the only Linux.

Both OP are stupid.

y'all posting in a troll thread.
for real help and friendly discussion, go here: **********************************************

wiki.parabola.
nu/Parabola_GNU/kNuBSD-fire
wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd
archhurd.org/
etc
>It's just Linux
aight

I'm dualbooting Xubuntu and Windows 7 and whenever I boot into Xubuntu, the clock in Windows gets set four hours ahead. Any idea why this happens or how I can stop it?

Show me one "Linux" that doesn't use GNU dumbass, you can't because it doesn't exist. Even if it existed, it would mean that this thread is for GNU/Linux and your thread is for retarded hobbyists who make their own OSes with the Linux kernel. I bet you call Coca Cola coke.

Well, he has the Alpine argument, which is using Busybox instead of coreutils. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BusyBox

>Warning: Do not expect full drop-in replacement and compatibility. Certain utilities may not exist and for those that do, there may be missing options. One purpose of this Wiki is to document missing features and the problems they cause.
kek

It's a known bug that happens in some dualboot combos. It happens because Linux uses global time and Windows uses some offset somethingsomething. You can either change the Linux setting so it uses somethingsomething as well, or just do ONE of these on Windows:

howtogeek.com/211144/how-to-get-windows-and-linux-clocks-to-display-the-correct-and-matching-time-dual-boot/

pretentiousname.com/timesync/

Whatever you do, remember to keep away from /flt/, because the place where you get actual answers to your problems is /fglt/.

Linux kernel discussion, Alpine Linux, Ångström (iirc), OpenWRT

That's because busybox was made for embedded systems like smart TVs etc, not for desktops.

screenfetch or it didnt happen

Where did I say I was running one of them?

Then you should call it /lkdalÅoWRT/. Your thread is doomed to fail because the OP isn't clear enough.

Allow me to correct myself, you should actually call it /flkdalÅoWRTt/. You wouldn't want to lose even a tiny percentage of the huge userbase of /lkdalÅoWRT/ systems by dropping the friendliness, right?

Let's just move on with the topic and ignore the troll?

Why the fuck does everyone keep calling me a troll? Eat a dick you piece of shit.

Why? Because you started a flame war and you know it. No leave and reply to yourself in your silly thread.

I started nothing more than a proper Linux thread.

gnu sjw

please rename the thread to /fsgnlt/ for Friendly SystemD Gnu Linux Thread to properly represent the operating systems that we are all discussing, or I and other members of my vocal but minor Cult of SystemD will spend our many free hours sliding this thread. Thanks.

No. This thread is for all GNU/Linuxes, even the ones that don't use systemd yet. Feel free to make your own and watch it die with 10 replies if you care that much.

SystemD isn't part of the core system, nor is KDE or Mozilla Firefox. Try harder.

Will installing Linux lower my power consumption? I've installed various distributions but looking to find one that fits my CPU the most.

>Pic related

it's my current setup. I don't hate windows 10, it's process management and inconsistency throughout the OS bothers me though.

What if I use linux and no gnu cancer?

What kernel is /fglt/ is using atm?
user0@primary:~$ uname -ov
#47-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 24 10:09:13 UTC 2016 GNU/Linux
user0@primary:~$

3.13.0-91-lowlatency

Power consumption depends on your hardware as well. If you are virtualizing/watching/rendering HD videos, it'll still take power

$ uname -a
Linux A-chan 4.6.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.6.2-2 (2016-06-25) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Then you're a faggot hobbyist and you belong in the contention thread. Look up /flt/ and you'll find the place where people like you troll each other for endless hours.

1.- If you're talking about energy and the money it costs, not that much really.

2.- Some light DEs can improve a laptop's battery duration.

3.- If you're talking about the general usage of resources, yes it can; you can even make the lightest distros run in 20ish years old computers.

4.4.6-gentoo

see

just got arch to run (almost complete linux newbie). installed herbstluftwm because I wanted to do as little with a GUI as possible for learning purposes, but now I'm thinking about getting a backup DE if I need something done quickly and don't want to look up the wiki or something.

Suggestions for a DE? I got Budgie, LXDE and Xfce on my list. LXDE looks horrible but battery life is of some importance.

Ah, I see we have non-believers in our midst. Well we have special ways of dealing with you. You see, when the soup-thin logic and rhetorical tricks that worked on the other suck- uh I mean cult members is found lacking, we have to use our secret weapon: nagging. Nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag and nag some more. When the dumb non-believer gets tired of your nagging he will either give in to your demands to make you shut up, or not have enough time to keep up with the nagging (once again, our schedules are very free) and have to concede. Either way we win!

>when your bait gets 0 replies and you have to bump it
>whoreslaughter.flac
>implying that giving credit where it's due is a bad thing

Fuck off to your contention thread.

So I'm having a wierd problem: I'm dualbooting windows 10 and fedora 24. Fedora is my main OS, but I've noticed that I get a lot of slowdowns on my internet dl speed. I can never complete a speedtest because I always get latency errors. If I reboot to windows, my internet behaves perfectly and speedtest says I have my complete dl speed. Wtf is going on?

I finished my install of Gentoo yesterday. And today I've been compiling and fixing package conflicts.

Holy crap, portage is complicated. Ever other distro is Fisher-Price OS compared to Gentoo. I can see why people called it 'a time-sink OS'. I've spent six hours today reading documentation, fixing problems and I haven't even started X yet (I've compiled it though).

um are you using systemd?

With speedtest, do you mean a website for testing speed?

>Fedora
Yes

People meme it for a reason.

yes, speedtest.net
streaming trhough youtube-dl is also stuttering a lot with any quality

it is worth it in the end
offers a degree of customisation and perfection that is difficult to achieve elsewhere

monitor journalctl for helpful information
check the right Ethernet module is being used
use wireshark for further diagnosis

Linux ci20 3.18.3-ci20-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 1 16:40:39 BST 2015 mips GNU/Linux

make sure youtube-dl is updated to the july release, there's been some major changes to the delivery of videos

I've no solution, but an alias,
speedtest='curl download.thinkbroadband.com/1GB.zip > /dev/null'

Hope anyone has fun with it.

gonna have to compile it, fedora RPM packages aren't being signed

rg3.github.com/youtube-dl/

2016.01.01 is stable but has issues
2016.07.01 is the latest and works good

Does anyone here use openrc and what are some good resources to learn how to use it and write your scipts?

forget it, livestreamer is working without any lags

Manjaro has a OpenRC spin if you want to play with it in a VM.

Can't get past may 4th on journalctl, im getting a bad message error

man pages, gentoo wiki

OpenWrt uses ash

try
journalctl -b -e -f

to monitor error messages

Anonymous Sup Forums logs my ip address, nice contribution to the conversation btw!

Literally "how to be a hipster: the wiki"

IP addresses they log are dynamic, retard

>dynamic
That doesn't even make sense...

All it's reporting is a metric fuckton of QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow) every fucking second, which apparently is a kde bug that exists since 2012

I don't expect you to understand

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration

Trying to disable mouse acceleration on xubuntu.

I've tried "man libinput" but there's nothing. Where would you find information for all the settings? There's all these profiles for mouse acceleration, how do people figure this stuff out?

Because you're trolling, attention whore.

This is the last pity (you) I'll give you.

1. The IPs they log are dynamic IPs and they do not pinpoint my username of my host, neither they track my browsing patterns.

2. There is absolutely no reason for you to post trips posts such as . Attention craving like a hungry girl will make you look more pathetic

3. Trips are there for a different reason, where an identity is really necessary to verify the poster. I post trips as well. See . Compare that post to yours.

4. Hate to break it to you but I am pretty sure NO ONE cares about your tripcode "!C4paIc36b", you are not famous and will never be with the retarded posts you make.

If you are not able to cope up with user board culture you should crawl back to twitter or blogspot where you think you are remotely important or relevant to anybody in the internet.

Bottomline: Go back to where you just came from

#rektandburied

New laptop will come today, and I've already downloaded Xubuntu. Laptop has DOS on it, so I think there's only one partition. I know that installing Ubuntu is pretty straight forward but I don't know how to create partitions. I tried it a few years ago and I remember it messed it up. Any help, anons?

bump

use the guided setup and you'll be fine.

aur.archlinux.org/packages/lib32-gnutls28
>they still haven't fixed this package
holy fuck, how hard is it to fix a fucking pkgbuild?

seriously guys why the fuck can't I install this?
$ sudo pacman -U gnutls-3.3.23.tar.xz
[sudo] password for user:
loading packages...
error: missing package metadata in gnutls-3.3.23.tar.xz
error: 'gnutls-3.3.23.tar.xz': invalid or corrupted package

default / zoomed

does this look weird to anyone else? it seems squashed.

In what way is Ubuntu 16.04 worse than 14.04?

how do i fix glitchy audio? Its fine for the most part but especialy when i'm listening to spotify web it will start crackling constantly

sorry i forgot to mention i'm using a 970A-DS3P, that might be relevant.

For the Germans among us, I've translated the "open source" and "GNU/Linux" copypastas into German so we can now enlighten non-English speaking people.

Ich muss dich kurz unterbrechen. Was du da Linux nennst, heißt tatsächlich GNU/Linux, bzw. wie ich es seit kurzem nenne, GNU plus Linux. Linux ist an sich kein Betriebssystem sondern nur ein Teil eines vollständigen GNU-Systems dessen Funktionalität vor allem durch die GNU corelibs, shell-Werkzeuge und andere wichtige Systemkomponenten bereitgestellt wird. Die Summe all dieser Teile bildet ein Betriebssystem, wie es im POSIX-Standard definiert ist.

Viele User benutzen unbewusst täglich eine modifizierte Version des GNU-Systems. Aufgrund von einigen historischen Gegebenheiten wird die heute am weitesten verbreitete GNU-Version Linux genannt, und vielen Benutzern dieses Systems ist nicht bewusst, dass es sich im Grunde um das GNU-System, welches vom GNU-Projekt entwickelt wurde, handelt.

Linux gibt es wirklich, und diese Leute nutzen es auch, aber es ist nur ein Teil des Systems das sie nutzen. Linux ist der Kernel; das Systemprogramm, das die Ressourcen des Computers den anderen Programmen zur Verfügung stellt. Der Kernel ist ein integraler Bestandteil eines Betriebssystems, für sich allein ist er jedoch nutzlos; der Kernel kann nur im Kontext eines vollständigen Betriebssystems arbeiten. Linux wird normalerweise in Kombination mit dem GNU-Betriebssystem verwendet: das gesamte System ist dann GNU, dem Linux hinzugefügt wurde, oder GNU/Linux. Alle sogenannten Linux-Distributionen sind in Wirklichkeit Distributionen von GNU/Linux!

Hallo! Du hast gerade den Begriff "Open Source" verwendet.

Dieser Begriff wurde von einer Gruppe erfunden, die nicht mit dem Free Software Movement in Verbindung gebracht werden wollten. Bei "freier" Software (was einer der zu bevorzugenden Begriffe ist) geht es nicht um den Preis; man würde dann von "gratis" oder "kostenlos" (free beer) sprechen. Stattdessen geht es um Freiheit! Die Freiheit von Software und ihren Nutzern ist es, wofür sich das Free Software Movement einsetzt.

Also was ist freie Software? Freie Software ist jedes Programm, das dem Nutzer die vier Software-Grundrechte zusichert:
> 0. Das Programm auszuführen, wie und wann man es wünscht.
> 1. Den Programmcode anzusehen und zu verändern sodass das Programm tut was man möchte.
> 2. Exakte Kopien des Programms weiter zu verbreiten.
> 3. Die von einem selbst modifizierte Version des Programms zu verbreiten.

Einige Leute entschieden, dass sie die Rechte des Nutzers einschränken wollten; aber den "offenen" Quelltext nur studieren und modifizieren zu dürfen ist nicht genug! Damit werden die Bemühungen des Free Software Movement untergraben weil es den soziologischen Freiheitsaspekt freier Software ignoriert und sich nur auf die technischen Aspekte konzentriert.

Aus diesen Gründen bitte ich dich, in Zukunft die Begriffe "frei" oder, wenn notwendig "FLOSS" (free/libre and open source software) zu nutzen, wobei der letztere trotzdem vermieden werden sollte.

Hey fellas i was wondering if i can install linux on a part of my hard drive. New to all this stuff so i wanna try Linux master race™

/flt/ pls, been stuck on this for a while now
I am using Debian. I'm trying to install PeaZip. I got the .deb file and installed it using

sudo gdebi peazip_6.0.3.LINUX.GTK2-2_all.deb
sudo apt-get -f install

When I try to open a .zip file I get an error message:
>Failed to open file "file.zip"
>Failed to execute child process
>"peazip" (No such file or directory).

what do

ext4, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, barely over two weeks. I should add that this happened after I set ibus-daemon to open at startup.

And another ibus-daemon is located in /usr/bin.

I tried dual booting Ubuntu once so I could learn what Linux was about.

However, I had this one problem where, after restarting my PC, I would instantly get into Ubuntu. When I was supposed to see the options between Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

To this I concluded two things.

I either fucked the installation up and Installed Ubuntu over the Windows partition.

Or something happened and I dont know what, since I did everything as indicated on your regular dual booting guide (create a partition of X size using X windows utility, boot into the ubuntu cd, etc)

Now I am afraid of trying again. How do I do this right?

Why do so many distros freeze? I've tried many but after a little while they just freeze completely.

What did your logs say?

$ uname -ov
FreeBSD FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE #0 r297264: Fri Mar 25 02:10:02 UTC 2016 [email protected]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

Working on installing arch. (We have the ability to start a MATE session! Wew!)

So I'm not sure how else to normally do it (IE, is startx the only way to?) but I had a question about how I made it work.

I edited the xinitrc file, and in addition to adding exec mate-session, I also needed to comment out exec xterm -geometry 80x66 +0+0 -name login

What does this line mean, and why does startx work to start a MATE session when I edit this out?

exec xterm created a basic xterminal -geometry specifies the dimensions of that terminal +0+0 the location and -name login.

Idk what that does to this very day.

you can eliminate the entirety of
twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login