Kernel Development Thread

who's developing or has developed a kernel? any (horror) stories to tell?

I just started writing on a few weeks ago while Im on summer break, this shit is slow going.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.osdev.org/Why_do_I_need_a_Cross_Compiler?
littleosbook.github.io
os.phil-opp.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have you done any systems coding before? If not have you previously studied OS theory?.
If you haven't done either expect your project to end abruptly. I'm about a year into mine (sans breaks, three years with.)

I went through the IntermezzOS tutorial but haven't done anything else

Oh yes, I took all my college undergrad and graduate classes in operating systems, and I've mucked with linux kernel modules, as well as written a small kernel for the MSP430. AMD64 is a different monster all together

Well then you should fare much better than most! Seriously, half the forum (possibly more) on osdev is purely "What's a Cross compiler" or "Why isn't my code working". I've built a small kernel and boot loader. Nothing extremely functional yet. What platform will you be developing on?

Developing on, or developing for?
I'm developing on linux on a thinkpad, and I'm targeting x86_64 because:
A) I want to boot it on my own hardware
B) I don't need a cross compiler (just -fno-stack-protector and a linker script for nasm)

I'm also using grub as a bootloader, but once I can get usermode on my kernel, I'm going to write my own.

I made JOS in college. Was fun. Making a scheduler was fun

whoa whoa whoa. How is -fno-stack-protector and nasm a replacement for a X-compiler. Seriously, I would love to know how you'll handle things like missing SO's and what not?

I'm not using any shared objects. as long as the architecture matches, its all good.

wiki.osdev.org/Why_do_I_need_a_Cross_Compiler?

I'm assuming the first two Paragraphs here aren't exactly accurate are they?

Gnu hurd

I dont include any system headers, so it doesn't matter what OS it thinks it is using.

Neither does mine, but I'm guessing if I used the same build scripts and what not with a regular compiler it wouldn't run right. I'll have to test it! Thanks for the idea!

I replaced my cross gcc with my native one in my Makefile. It seems to work for the most part other than a few warnings, and my assembler erroring out on some intructions. I'll see if I can't just specify a few different flags.

yeah it basically makes no difference, unless you cant be bothered to define the uintXX_t types yourself or are actually compiling for a different architecture. Also I have been compiling my kernel with -pedantic on and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

How does one into kernel development? I took an OS class and a compilers class and have some general understanding of assembly.

littleosbook.github.io

Also the OS dev wiki and forums

>littleosbook.github.io
I'll give this a read, thanks for the help! I'm just a bit curious, why is everyone in this thread working on OS stuff? Is it just for fun? Part of your job? Resume building?

im OP, and I'm doing it because I'm bored out of my mind while I wait for a week until I start work, and this keeps my occupied.

I had an OS class in university, now I just do little things for fun

I start work in a couple weeks as well. I'll probably keep it up as a side project while I work. What language are you using? C or something new and hipster like Rust?

Recent college grad? Where are you starting work?

Not him but any examples of "little things for fun"?

C, but I follow that guy doing the really good writeups on a kernel in rust, and give him pointers sometimes.

Google

which guy is this?

i'd rather not say

>Google

Right on, I start on the 18th. I won't be far from you

I'm OP, (working at google)
almost tempted to be a tripfag in this thread

at mountain view campus? I'm in seattle

Oh, Seattle? Did you graduate from uw too? Small world. I'm in California now

nope, I'm actually from the east coast, I just wanted nothing to do with meme valley. I'd much rather live in kirkland

no, I meant who is the rust guy?

Right on, I don't like it much either. I'll probably only be here for 2 or 3 years then move somewhere that isn't a bubble.

Happy Independence Day, man.

you too. i can watch the marina park fireworks from my porch here, its pretty sweet

haha oh shit sorry, its this guy
os.phil-opp.com/

Do eet feggit

way to kill the thread creep

do you ever use IRC, if so, what nets/chanels

I'm on rizon a lot for weeb stuff

what kind of weeb? gintama or yuru yuri

bumping a gud thread