"Download RAM" has been memed into reality

Well, in this case vRAM actually

>Right now it's only confirmed on the early retail cards, so this might change in the coming weeks - so do not buy an RX 480 with 4GB of RAM absolutely, 100% hoping it has 8GB of RAM as this will change.
>Right now, WCCFTech purchased a retail Radeon RX 480 4GB model and flashed it with the vBIOS for the 8GB model, and 8GB of RAM appeared - a nice, free upgrade, eh?

Here's the source:
tweaktown.com/news/52891/amd-radeon-rx-480-4gb-models-8gb-ram-unlocked-bios-update/index.html

What you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-4gb-cards-8gb-unlockable-bios-update/
youtube.com/watch?v=nXehxmJxrI8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think they are full of shit and the BIOS may report 8GB but when you actually run anything that uses more than 4Gb it's gonna crash and burn.

How do they know that it actually has 8gb vram and that the bios isn't simply hardcoded to report that number?

That's what I thought, or maybe it's low-quality memory like the 3.5 case. They would sell their shit costing less with the same amount of samsung memories.

>wouldn't*

Fixed

>Flash 4gb GTX 960's bios into GTX 970
>It finally has 4gbs of VRAM

check the source next time

wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-4gb-cards-8gb-unlockable-bios-update/

all 480s ship with 8gb

In this case it's most likely they had no choice and had to do this for the first run. So they're probably real 8GB cards.

These 4GB cards should disappear in a few months, maybe less

>NVidia's 4GB = 3.5GB
>AMD's 4GB = 8GB
Ok, NVidia sucks

Hold your horses. What is point of selling real 8GB masked as 4GB which is actually cheaper.

Because probably the 4GB version's are just 8GB with RAM problem.

Reviewers were sent flashable bios to change between 4gb and 8gb versions

>AMD planned this thing out
OK AMD ARE YOU SERIOUS

This. And this is how products like this are sold- bits of it that don't work are disabled and then it's sold as a lower end part

Although in this case with vRAM, that shit is tested before even being stuck to the card

>make a $200 GPU with 8GB Vram
>wants to make more profit
>use software to gimp it to 4GB
>sell the 8GB version for $230

This is only the first badge of cards. Production lines for 4GB models aren't ready yet, so they rebadged some 8GB models.
Original report was that the reference model is 8GB only and only custom cards will have 4GB as an option. Shortly before release they must have changed their mind and decided to release a 4GB reference model.

if the RAM chips were faulty they wouldn't be put onto the card in the first place.

The 4Gb version doesn't exist and they sold a tiny number of gimped 8Gb in very few markets to make it look like it exists. There is no 480 at $200.

Nvidia on suicide watch?

You'll never escape the reach of the jews, never.

Am I visiting the Dead Sea?

Because this smells like salt.

Holy fuck, how can Nvidia cope after being BTFO so much in just one month?

>salt
Yeah, your "salt" here

>what you guys think

Where's AMD's fix for rx 480?

Werent there claims that GoW was gimped by Nvidia in the first place? Also nice shill post.

gow was a xbox 360 game so it was an nvidia game
also it had hbao+ that you couldnt remove it it literally destroyed amd cards

did i ever say people were samefagging?

Yeah but I wasn't being salty
And I don't live near an ocean
or a salt factory
or the damn dead sea mate

>ENG
Sure thing pajeet.

Actually the 960 vram is gimped too...

Source?

His ass

fuck your clickbait shit, pastebin

>people who don't know how binning works

so thats why i couldnt find any 4GB versions for sale

this isn't binning, this is "we only have one production line ready and want to put out two versions of a card"

It'd be binning if the vrams weren't tested to be working before even being put on the card

>secretly cuck your early adopters out of $50

No, it's not.

>low-quality memory like the 3.5 case
shows how little you know

Let them have an argument user.

the 360 literally used an ATI chip.. you're thinken ps3

Of a lower quality.

There's probably a reason they disabled the RAM On some cards in the BIOs, like disable extra cores on CPUs and GPUs before, not all cards will run correctly after it's been flashed

>390 is still the faster

Fuck poolaris

see

It would be beyond retarded of them to release fully functional 8gb versions of the cards as 4gb versions

>that itty, bitty, teeny, weeny, tiny, miniature, bottle neck of a memory bus

how many years of driver optimization has the 390 had over the 480? Also the 480 does it at much less wattage

>1060 = 2.75gb or 5 and 7/8ths

Confirmed nvidia will crash and burn.

If true this definitely hearkens back to the days when some athlons and phenoms were unlockable for more cache and/or cores. At the time, that was seen as pretty awesome of AMD to offer options like that, even if some of the disabling was on purpose, similar to how Intel/AMD sell chips with and without unlocked clocks at different price points.

Are we going to react negatively this time, though? Just want to make sure I know how to act to avoid being labeled a shill.

no, it would be
>"we only have one production line ready and want to put out two versions of a card"

no pal, you are fucking stupid
>youtube.com/watch?v=nXehxmJxrI8

nvidiots will react negatively because they're blind fanboys

everyone else will just grab for a 4GB model for now and hope they get an 8GB board.

>Also the 480 does it at much less wattage

Polaris = Poor performance per watt

Yes, reviewers get the first cards of the productionline, and they started with 8gb because they estimated that would be the main target.

But the reviewers also have to review the 4gb RAM, so they just flashed the bios.

>poorlaris

Get a 1060 and go away...

>I'm all out of shilling fuel
that's great ...

This is pretty poor work Sanjay. You won't get paid for this one.

I've notified your supervisor.

They take off the fucking heatsink and reveal the 8 GB of RAM on the PCB you fuckheap.

You're probably right, but they could still just be dummies, then you'd only need one automated process instead of two.

>what is DCC

>nvidia says their card has 4GB
>it's only 3,5
>amd says their card has only 4GB
>it's actually comes with 8GB
who are the bigger liars?

Wait I can do what?

>4 gigabytes means 8 gigabytes

literally can't make this shit up

Then post it m8, this is an image board after all.

8 - 4 = 4
4 - 3.5 = 0.5

Looks like AMD are the bigger liars.

Some x800pros could be modded (with pencil lead in some cases) to a full x800xt as well.

I've always kinda thought that AMD is the one company that actually makes products the way enthusiasts enjoy - through a combination of incompetence and innovation, lol. That's the kind of mistake enthusiasts love to exploit, and it leads to them buying that equip ment just so that they can take advantage of it.

No, amd said they'll give you 4, and they delivered.
So they did not lie, but forgot to mention 4 other gigs.

so its like amd gave you four cookies, but forgot to tell you about the four extra?

They did not forget to mention anything. AMD did this before. You paid for 4GB then you hacked your shit to unlock 4 more. Its is how it has been. Now you guys want to say AMD are lairs but when you take an Intel chip and unlock it for extra power shit is ok. Fuck off assholes enjoy your 3GB 1060s

Oy vey! Buy my 8GB card goy! It's way better than that stinking peasant 4GB one you have right now goy. And it'll only cost you 50 more shekels!
>(hand rubbing)

>8gb vram
>on a 1080/1440 mid card
Why?
Not even GTA V will use that vram and the hardware is not fast enough for it anyway.

Not a Green Goy btw Nvidia will get shit on if the 1060 has 3gb as leaks suggest, many new games use around 3.5 (rip 970 owners)

4-6gb is a sensible level of vram for this price range

WEAK

Marketing. inb4 skyrim mods..

so the cookies were there just because amd was nice?

Nvidia said they'll give you 4, and they delivered.
So they did not lie, but forgot to mention that 0.5GB is thrash.

>jewvidia: buy 4gb actually receive 3.5gb
>Based AMD: buy 4gv actually receive 8gb
Nvidicucks lose again. Amd is literally the anti-jew

>paid more money for a 8GB card
>not jewed

B T F O
T
F
O

!!!!!AH HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!
NVIDIAAAAAA FUCKING GOT SMASHEDDD

No, thia sucks for the people who bought the 8GB but 90% of those people dont know how to flash a bios. Most people would want the 8GB but to make a 4gb would cost more money for AMD. This also proves in a few weeks the 8GB will be $199 and the 1060 6GB will be higher. Nvidia 1060 DOA!!

If they really drop the price of the 8GB version to 200 that'd be great.

lol

Isn't the 8GB model also running the memory at a higher clock speed?

When you reflash the bios to unlock the 8GB does it also clock up the RAM?

>I paid 30 extra for the 8GB....

I feel like an nvidiot cuck now, getting jew'd on

will the 480 be enough for modded skyrim?

There's so many factors which could possibly effect that question that it's impossible to answer. What's the rest of your rig? What resolution?

Yes, glorious VRAM will save you

yea if you get the 8GB version and not the 4 ah ha ha ha ha ha

i5 4690k
1080p
8gb ram

No way

Apparently yes. It's the same card, you just need to unlock its potential.

Should be fine mate, you might want to get another 8GB of ram to be safe.

kek. but I guess the trade-off is that flashing your bios could void the warranty.

Just checked mine. Holy shit, it's real, kek

why is the 480 such a confused little card?

timestamp

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA
Fucking AMD is selling 8GB for the price of 4GB!!! Good shit!! I'm looking all over NY for the 4GBs cant find them.

>Fucking AMD is selling 8GB for the price of 4GB!!!
The last 4gbs of memory probably doesn't work properly, has anyone of note tried flashing a card?

>if the RAM chips were faulty they wouldn't be put onto the card in the first place.

No, companies do this with their products literally all the time.

Defective chips that still work under full capacity are put into lower end products.

Hence taking a defective RAM chip, limiting the address space, and sticking it in your budget line.

Boom. You just recycled defective silicon.