/hpg/ - Headphone General

- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

jdslabs.com/store#b-stock
amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher-Munson_curves
youtube.com/watch?v=n2nVNYihFx4
ebay.com/itm/331898415596
hifishark.com/
hifishark.com/model/sennheiser-hd-600
vocaroo.com/i/s1zFUBOBg7cM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for the best dynamic in the market.

Focal Utopia

Related

Headsets come with a mic. Those are not headsets. Google image headset.

>Budget
40$
>Location
US
>Source
Computer
>Style
Full Sized Headphones
>Open/Closed
Closed
>Comfort Level
Preferably High
>Preferred tonal balance
Equal
>Past headphones
N/A

are moon audio cables worth it?

memes

Yep. They definitely provide larger soundstage, more impactful bass and less harsh treble.

Is buying an Objective 2 on B stock a bad idea?

jdslabs.com/store#b-stock

Best headphones for $50?

Closed or Open, Full size, everything else doesn't matter

hyperx cloud and qpad qh-90 is both rebranded pro 80 but with a removable mic, might be cheaper (and also go on sale) depending on region.

Add the Qpad QH-85 to that list, which is the semi-open cousin (rebadged Hi2050).

>Budget
£100ish
>Location
UK
>Source
Fiio x1/Pc
>Preferred type of headphone
Full size
>Open or closed
Open/Semi
>Comfort level
Don't care
>Past headphones
memezer kraken 7.1 or some shit

>Location
United States
>Source
Computer
Full headphone
>Open or closed
Closed, looking for lots of isolation
>Comfort level
Good enough to wear for long periods of time
>Preferred tonal balance
Normal? none?
>Past headphones
cheapies

I have a USB slot next to my headphone socket on my laptop

When I accidentally put the jack in the usb (all the time) sparks fly out

Is this normal?

for got budget

>budget
$100

I was thinking of buying a pair of AKG 240. This is my first headphones that arent $10 worth so can someone redpill me on this set? Is it worth it? My budget is very limited

amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA

v6 is wired differently from the 7506 iirc.

v6 has some crossfeed, 7506 has both channels totally isolated. not something you would notice in casual listening I think. some people say the v6 also has a slightly more bass.

Where's the fucking anime???

anime is for children

are there any concrete mods out for the mk3 yet?

Great sound.
Don't buy them.

Get some closed headphones.

redpill enough?

CAL for closed, 668b/681 for open. you could probably get a pro80 or hi2050 for close to that as well, though I wouldn't say they're better. v6 is also not much more so if you can get that go for it.

>Get some closed headphones.
What are some good ones in the $45-60 range?

Not as far as I know.
I'm satisfied with my current setup though, can provide more details if you want.

These cables are such snake oil that you are probably a troll.

xpt100 for home only use. m40x if you might take them out. hd280 for maximum isolation at the cost of comfort and some sound quality.

Im new to this. Help me out here. Im buying these for watching films and listening to music (flac), do I really need to care if the sound is seeping out?

Have an odd request..

>Budget
$100
>Location
Texas, USA
>Source
mp3 player
>Open or closed
most likely closed

My job is working outside, mowing the lawns at the city parks. I live in the southern USA and it is very hot during the summer, so I really have 1 requirement:

They must be durable. The headphones will get knocked off my head every now and then. They will get tossed around a bit. They will get dirty. If they can't be durable, then they need to be affordable enough to be able to replace now and then.

Also, it gets hot out there. I sweat a lot, even during the winter months. They need to be able to withstand copious amounts of sweat.

Sound quality and comfort level are negotiable, I'll be on a lawnmower all day anyway and the sound will get drowned out by that no matter how loud I make it.

Any recommendations?

seethe k240 isn't bad though, but personally most of the time the 668b or sr850(basically a 668b) are less and a bit better imo.

Kill yourself.

of mods you did on the mk3?

I own a mad dog but never did the mods myself.

I stopped believing in product fetishisation.
Go to a professional audio equipment store and ask what they got.
Try a few out on the spot, buy what you subjectively prefer.

Just don't go to consumer stores.

Yeah, I've got a pair of modded T20RP Mk3s. Basically it involves masking tape, Shure SRH1840 pads, some Paxmate and some low density wool felt.

are you in the same quiet room with someone else? you might want to keep your orgasm noises private.

you should really get IEMs for that. the most isolating headphones are clamp monsters that will not serve you well in the heat. se215 for max isolation

are there any measurements out there? I'm set on closed headphones though, unless it's an actual upgrade like a pm3 or something.

I want a pair but I just can't deal with that bright orange cable.

Don't have a measurement rig sadly, so I just kinda tuned it to my own ears. It probably wouldn't be an upgrade for you anyway.

xpt100 has got more isolation than hd 280.

yeah the cable system on those models has always been weird and useless. but you can use any male to male 3.5 cable. my mad dogs came with a v-moda (who make great cables btw) and that\s what I use.

Best cheap headphones focused on clarity?? Open or bluetooth is a big plus

Pls help

hi2050, 668b, 681. piston 3 is damn cheap and sounds very clear and detailed but it is an IEM.

Hi2050 too expensove for me at 150, can you tell me about the other two?

Also good bluetooth headphones?

Are there any modern boomboxes/things-in-a boombox-form-factor that are actually good?

>Budget
£50 although that can be flexible
>Location
UK
>Source
Computer
>Open or closed
Closed ideally
>Comfort level
Gonna be using a lot so they should be quite good
>Preferred tonal balance
Not bothered
>Past headphones
Shitty gaming headset that needs replacing with something actually worthwhile.

150 what? yen?
they (used to anyways) be like $35

superlux 668b and 681, akg-like clones that sound very good for the money, usually around $50. hi2050 is a beyer-like clone btw. there aren't that many cheap open headphones, probably because they're hard for chinks to design and just harder in general to make.

bluetooth and clarity don't really go together well, many headphones only support bad versions of bluetooth.the best, APTX is still subjectively so, it's a closed-source thing I think. also most bluetooth headphones have signatures that are very "populist" (is that the right word?). basically bass heavy and/or v-shaped, no well defined mids and extended highs which is where you get a lot of "clarity". plus basically all of the really good bluetooth are very expensive.

but if you have to, air-fi matrix 2, $60.

probably. were those apple boombox good? I think they're cheap on ebay now.

>10-band eq that visualizes the changes in a little window with a graph.

bretty cool

read the sticky, Sup Forums is not your buy advice board

Just bought some DT 990's

Did I fall for the meme?

I love treble and bass so.

HD600 of closed phones? MSR7? 7506/V6? T50RP mods?

fiy i love my k7xx's

Do you have them in your possession now? Or did you just order them right now? I want to ask a question if you do have them.

Just ordered them right now. So I can't tell you much other than what I've read. sorry user.

But it was a mixup of the 770's and the 990's but I decided to choose the 990s for the bigger sound stage.

Fyi. I love my fortex th900

Oh well. My question was if you had them can you test this out.

If the bass and highs not so pronounced if you lower the volume? Then they would be the best headphones for low volume listening.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher-Munson_curves

>$80 (will go a little higher if need be)
>US
>Computer, phone, PS4
>Full sized
>Closed
>High, obviously
>Whatever

>Sony gold headset thing
>Some old shitty turtle beach headset
>Some $20 sony crappy headphones from fucking walmart
>Earbuds that aren't comfy

I've not really had a set of dedicated headphones. Mostly, I just get a headset for whatever console I'm playing, and that doubles for listening. Well they've all snapped in half, and I'm mad about it.

Sup Forums wiki says get headphones and a desk mic. Will this work if I play on PS4? If not, how about something that will at least sound good, and last a while. A bare minimum of people able to listen to my PS3/4 output, while obviously plugging into my PC and smartphone, is required.

Last thing I had was the Sony Gold headset. It was fairly comfy, and the sound was decent; but I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. Price limit is basically something that'll replace those, without actually buying them again, because they snapped in half after two years.

?

pm3

V6 or 7506

does the hyperx cloud work on console? if so get that.

Unfortunately for you reporting it will have no effect, but feel free to stay mad.

MDR 7506 + Auray Sheep Skin Pads.

Thanks.

Bluepill me on Koss Portapros

they are the most professional sounding / portable headphones available at the $30 price point.

They also have a god tier retro look if you are more into fashion than sound quality.

Porta Pro >>>>>>>>> Grado

they sound really good, especially for the price. they're also one of the only headphones that don't touch glasses frames at all if that bothers you. don't pay $50 though, pay around 30. if you can't find them get the ksc-75.

There's a reason they're still around despite being from the 80s

Whats the cons?

They catch in your hair if you adjust the headband.

Cable could be delicate. But if it broke who cares man lifetime warranty!

The metal bands up top WILL pinch and pull your hair

The firm/light slider always goes back to firm at the slightest pressure

The hooks for folding will touch your ears if you have huge ears

Describe the sound of your headphones with a song
youtube.com/watch?v=n2nVNYihFx4

Bought a very slightly used AKG K141 Studio first "made in Austria" revision") for $45.

Did I do good?

Fuck you, make your own thread next time. She's basically 2.5D anyway.

It says nothing of the sort in the Sup Forums sticky smart guy. True, Sup Forums isn't a buying advice board but it's literally impossible to avoid those questions about technology. We've been over this many times. Your autism is spilling a bit too much lately. This thread helps with the catalog clutter and focuses the inevitable questions of what to buy into one thread with a streamlined template to keep it minimal. And this isn't "What headphones to buy?" -general. It's a general for discussing headphones and personal audio. All of which completely fit into the board rules. You wouldn't want to see Sup Forums catalog without a general dedicated to audio.

If you despise these threads so much, feel free to hide them. Otherwise move on, reporting won't do shit.

If you can rationalize paying that much for looks and more convenient length, maybe. They are ridiculously overpriced.

Cute Genelec but you need to dust off.

doesn't catch your hair if you have long hair in my experience.

oh and btw im a girl

Just because you think and dress like a girl, doesnt make you one.

nah just a neckbeard/manchild

>Budget
100 euros but can put 15 euros more if necessary
>Location
germany
>Source
internal sound card but might buy an amp in the future
full-sized
>Open or closed
either is fine
>Comfort level
2nd priority 1st is sound
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral or v shaped not sure since i listen to alot of metal
>Past headphones
no good headphones

I've been thinking about the hd 518 or m40x but i wanted to ask people who know their shit

thanks in advance

Sub /hpg/
Mind lending a hand in making a selection? It's been a long time since I've purchased a pair. Many thanks in advance.

>Budget
$100 usd

>Source
PC

Full sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Willing to compromise but I'll be wearing them for long periods

>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy

>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 555

What did you order? Pro or Premium? How many ohms?

If it's too clampy. Please stretch the headband to not squish the pads. The headband is made of metal. Or you'll end up with flat pads eg. ebay.com/itm/331898415596

xpt-100, very comfortable. V6 is a bit less comfortable and you will probably need new pads but it is also less, that would be my personal pick but the sig is harsh on poor recordings. m40x is great but if you're only using them at home the xpt-100 has better comfort. if you really want v-shaped you could maybe afford an m50, dt700 would be even better, but I don't know your local prices.

I think DT770s are like 140 euros in Germany. Good price, but a bit above his budget.

seeget a 770 if you can stretch, or eq a v6, m40x, or xpt-100.

the CAL you would probably love and it's only $50, but comfort is not that great, not bad but the fit is not very good and the pads are on the small side, and I would not recommend replacing them because they have a particular size and even stuffing them fucks with the sound quite a bit.

>Budget
50-150 USD
>Location
USA
>Source
Galaxy Note 4/ SMSL M2
IEM
>Open or closed
IEM
>Comfort level
I dealt with Etymotic and that didn't bother me.
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral.
>Past headphones
Etymotic MC5

I'm looking at the Shure SE215 particularly because of the Removable cable, but they look like they're really bassy.

Features I'd like:
Removable Cable
Microphone

The sure se215 isn't neutral at all. Go for the etymotics hf5, or if you want to save some money try the soundmagic e80s.

>The sure se215 isn't neutral at all. Go for the etymotics hf5, or if you want to save some money try the soundmagic e80s.
Yeah, I realize that but there's not much around that price range with a removable cable.

AFAIK, the only IEM at the $100 price point is the SE215.

Crosstalk from wiring, but the effect is extremely small and not at all like crossfeed. It is of minimal importance.

Several models from Audio Technica and Dunu around that price point. I don't know if any have the mic controls by default, but you can just order one.

>Several models from Audio Technica and Dunu around that price point. I don't know if any have the mic controls by default, but you can just order one.
Ah yes, I forgot about the AudioTechnicha ATM-IM50.

Anyone had one of those?

So I found a nice meta-headphone shopping crawler for poorfags: hifishark.com/

It lets you search by model number across multiple audiophile Buy/Sell Forums, Ebay, Amazon, Yahoo Auction, etc. without needing to dick around in each one individually, for example:
hifishark.com/model/sennheiser-hd-600

Fucking cool user

Hey /hpg/, it's finally come time to replace pic related after 7 years. I need some opinions
>$40-$90
>US
>Using in a PC
>Full-Size, preferably a wee bit bigger than the HD201
>Closed (but I would take a good deal on open)
>Comfort>quality
>HD201s and other shitty headphones

>HD201s and other shitty headphones
didn't mean to imply HD201's were shitty, whoops. I do like them.

someone on /hpg/ recommended me a budget microphone (zalman mc-1) i get a whole lot of white noise and i am unsure on how to fix it?

Is the microphone rigged/ Or is it just shit.

vocaroo.com/i/s1zFUBOBg7cM

Hey /hpg/,
I'm looking for a decent pair of headphones before I leave for college. Thanks in advance!

>Budget
$200

>Location
US

>Source
PC (Looking into amp/dac)

Full sized

>Open or closed
Preferably closed

>Comfort level
Willing to sacrifice a little sound quality for added comfort

>Preferred tonal balance
Probably neutral but not too important

>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD439

I have the IM50. Compared to the SE215 it has less bass amount, which makes it not sound like farts in every genre, but is still bassy compared to an Ety or SE535.

Tried turning down the gain?

how do i do that on fedora

Hi2050 are 100$ on aliexpress

The air fi matrix 2 looks very promising