warosu.org/g/thread/S31187918
warosu.org/g/thread/S30460828
warosu.org/g/thread/S30578752
warosu.org/g/thread/S30199788
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128839
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83UN2370
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why was the stupid questions thread renamed to small questions thread

It's been going back and forth between stupid and small since these threads first became a thing. Which it is just depends on what OP decides it is

This

I guess it's sensitive summer

OP here, been here for 5 years.

So why are you still here if you became an SJW?

I'm not an SJW you piece of shit

People trying to forget it used to be Stop Queefing
thread

can we rename the stupid questions thread to annoying questions thread?
>/aqt/ a cutie

no.

That's not true at all. Searching the archive shows "small questions thread" only becoming a thing very lately.

Yes it is, I remember when these threads first started being a thing.

I remember the opposite.

Must suck to be going senile at such a young age.

Well why don't we devote the rest of this thread to arguing about it, come to a final yet resentful decision and move on with the next one?

That was especially clever and witty, m'sir.

Best lightweight web based cpu/network monitor for Ubuntu 14LTS?

Something like pic related

Shut up we're arguing here

Eat a dick

How often should I change the cpu thermal paste? Last time I applied thermal paste was almost exactly 1 year ago, should I change it now?

that's the spirit

No. The only reason to redo the paste is if you did it wrong the first time

is this a good choice?

shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/13-series/13-windows/

I have 800$ budget

4chanX recently was updated, now, everytime when I post a reply it opens a new tab with the thread I replead to. How to turn this off? Please help.

You want to redo it only if it looks degraded if you have taken the heatsink off. Which you shouldn't really be doing unless you're reseating everything

Go to the options (Wrench). Under the "Posting and Capatcha" section there is a "Open Post in New Tab" option. Uncheck the box.

So my SIM card stopped working when I got a new phone and tried to cut it to a smaller size. I still have an old backup phone but the number on the SIM is obviously different. Is there a way for me to access my WA account tied to the number of the SIM card I fucked up, maybe through my email account?

Sure you have.

It's actually been longer, I started coming here sometime in 2010. Why so doubtful?

Looks like they either removed it or my eyes are gettin' old.

Is it accepted to refer to Waifus as Ani-bae's

pcpartpicker.com/list/BkXxYr

Could I get some feedback on this build? I don't plan on doing any overclocking. My budget is around $1000 and I figure it's probably unoptimized. I don't know much about monitors, but I just picked a smaller and cheaper one with good reviews to start off and would maybe replace it with something nicer or add or another a couple months down the line.

what distro has nvidia drivers on their repo?

What are you planning on using it for?

i want to work as a product manager/sales person in the medical technical field, i have no programming experience, what programming language would be extremely beneficial to learn? i'm already going to learn SQL in college.
And i have 8 weeks of summer in which i have a lot of time.

With 1.12.0.0 (2016-06-19) The options to disable QR Shortcut, Bottom QR Link, and Open Post in New Tab have been removed.
github.com/ccd0/Sup Forums-x/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Sorry, I forgot that. I would like to run intensive games at 60fps on at least medium settings. Anything higher than that would be nice, though I don't have a good frame of reference. Some games I want to play are XCOM2, Mordheim, The Witcher 3. If those can run at 60fps on medium settings, I would be more than pleased. I have no plans for any kind of intensive professional work. The most I would do would be working in Photoshop.

t-thanks ccd0

Ditch the fan and paste, and you're better off going for an i5. Sandisk is a good ssd brand to consider. Probably a 550 watt power supply gold rated would be ideal. Get a Rx 480 not a 390 and for god's sake get at leas a 23 inch monitor

Are you gay?
[ ] Yes
[ ] Yes
[ ] Maybe

Reply back to this post with the checklist ticked to your preferred answer

>Are you gay?
>[X] Yes
>[ ] Yes
>[ ] Maybe

never touched a programming language in my life before.

should I learn python 2, python 3 or css? i'm tired of being a useless sack of shit.

>[x] Yes
>[x] Yes
>[x] Maybe

Well what do you want to do
Never python 2, only 3 if you're going for python.
Python 2 is finished

For gaming you want to ditch the FX-8350, probably go for a i5-6400
Considering you're not overclocking the stock heatsink will be fine.

For 1080p you could wait for a non-reference RX480 or just get a 970.

8350 is okay, i5 is better if you can
don't use the stock cooler as said. Those are shit. Specially the one of the FX 8350 that I have. It's noisy and cool nothing. (I got a pure rock and it's a nice one. hyper 212 is one a lot of people recommend so I guess it's a good one too).

get a RX 480, it is better than a R9 390

don't take a seagate HDD

if you modify the GPU make sure to modify the PSU too.

Are you gay?
[ ] Yes
[ ] Yes
[ ] Maybe
[X]

What mobo do I use in lieu of the Gigabyte? It's not compatible with Intel. I'm looking on PC Part Picker and it doesn't look like there are any heavily reviewed options.

Haven't really put much thought into that yet, but definitely not super complicated 3D games. I was thinking web design stuff and programs that use a website's API to display information, example: a native Windows program that makes browsing my local news site more compact and organised, and puts the article's content and it's comments right next to each other.

Look for an H110 or B150 chipset if you're getting a i5-6400

Also don't bother with a full tower, you'll never need it all.

Tripple X hardcore

>For 1080p you could wait for a non-reference RX480 or just get a 970

You're really just going to want an rx480, reference if you want to spend less, non-reference if you want the best value. 970 is a stupid buy when the rx 480 is available no matter how you frame it unless you really like Nvidia over AMD. GTX 1060 is also coming and could be an option, but I don't think it's going to be as cheap

newfag

I dont know if this is the right place, if its not, just tell me.

I'm looking to run Gamecube and Wii games on 4k internal res on Dolphin. My R9 270x and i5 4690k cant handle it. What is holding me back?

Also, how the fuck do i overclock ram on an MSI gaming gd45 z97.

Lastly, is ram overclocking worth it?

emulators are shit because it's like translating a language, it's slower than reading the languages being interpretted to.

no.

no.

Ok, so I redid the list substantially based on the feedback. It pushed the price a bit above my budget but I won't gripe about it. I'm not seeing RX480 in stock on pcpartpicker unfortunately. Also, my wattage has dropped to 330W... Is this just a bug (maybe because the graphics card isn't in stock or I picked the wrong one in the list?) or is it really that low now? That can't be right.

Shit, forgot the link:
pcpartpicker.com/list/Y3g2RG

aight thanks mate. Any way i can make the translating faster? Would a skylake or higher end gpu do it?

the RX 480 reference only takes about 150w. Getting your hands on one is still tough at the moment; they're selling out pretty quickly everywhere. They released about a week ago, so if you can wait another week or two there will be aftermarket cards and more stock. The GTX 1060 releases in two days, so you can also try your luck with that.

What is the minimum SSD for business use?

I assume a cheap SSD like ADATA SP550 or SSD Plus wont be enough for this.
Last HDD the business used lasted 48655 Hours in 5 and half years and still going but worn on a computer with a low end AMD CPU and 1GB RAM and is time to replace it so i was called to build a new one for them.

It will be pretty much a low end computer but not prebuilt tier low end, it will be mostly a facebook, MSOffice, and skype machine.

I was thinking of building them a computer like:
G3240
a B85 mATX motherboard
240GB high end SSD
Cheap mATX case.
500B PSU.
4GB RAM
IGPU.

But i have a problem chosing a SSD for them since im not sure what counts as high end in a SSD, for a HDD i would just trow a WD Blue or Black.

Unless you're worried about noise the stock cooler is fine

Sine this setup is using less power than your previous one 550W should be fine.

You could get a dual core pentium and overclock the living shit out of it, some of the best emulator benchmarks are from doing this.

I have the opportunity to sell my GTX 970 for $300 canadian, should I do it and just get a 1070 instead ?

get 2 rx480s fag

Ah okay. I'll just set up Newegg to keep me notified then I suppose. What about nonreference? Do they stock around the same time or is it all just random? I've actually never even heard the term until you guys brought it up. It kind of surprised me when I looked it up.

[spoiler]thank you for helping me because I literally didn't know jackshit outside of the wikis[/spoiler]

Yes, but wait for aftermarket 1070.

Thats probably about the best price you could hope to sell it for. If you want to upgrade I'd go for it.

You don't need a "high end ssd" for business. Any cheap old one will do, as long as it has good reviews to indicate low failure rates. Most sandisk/samsung/intel work fine, even their cheaper ones. It's really going to be a matter of size for you, because the speeds of most any modern ssd are all going to be way beyond what you need.

What is the life span of a CPU? What could actually fail under normal usage? I have a LGA1155 mother board and a h60 cooler for it so I want to buy a 2500k on ebay for $100. Is the thing going to shit the bed after a year at 4.5ghz? I figure they'll have the same value in october when I'll have money for a new system so I'm not really spending any money. Same with the ddr3 sticks I'll need.

This is for all my fellow waitfags: at what point do you finally decide to upgrade to a new product? Since new generations of hardware come out almost every year and for the most part seem to get better and better, especially when it comes to video cards. I've been waiting since Kepler and have had my eye on Vega/big Pascal but I'm tired of waiting desu

Why does my computer lag like shit after a bit of idling?

reddit.com/r/amd is pretty much the only resource for now. Non-reference cards are still not "revealed," but they should be coming in a week or so. Reference cards are going to be hotter and use a blower fan, while non-reference cards are going to be cooler/use more power/overclocking possible and use a custom fan. Stock RX 480's are fine, but if you pay a bit more you'll get a better card. Price/performance may still be in the stock rx 480's favor, however.

Epicscale

Rather than speeds the focus will be reliability because the business owner asked for a SSD.

He will still use the classic low end APU and 250GB seagate HDD on the other computers i build for him on the rest of the computers.

10+ Years, way less if you overclock it and have shit cooling, also bad luck on the silicon lottery.

Gotcha. I'll probably just splurge the extra bit for the non-reference card if it comes out soon. I won't be buying the parts until another two weeks or so anyway.

Is there any reason to use the 80-characters-per-line standard today?

youtube.com/watch?v=EIPggCgYK38

what does Sup Forums think?

>Epicscale
I dont have it installed.

Fucking kek. Could i disable 2 cores and do that shit xD?

What is a solid way to test overclocks for CPU and GPU, and how long do i run the benchmarks/loaders for?

>xD
user please.

Right, and the pricey ones aren't expensive because of increased reliability, they're more marketed to enthusiasts. It's like buying hyperfast ram. It may be faster, but it shouldn't really last any longer. If you're really worried about reliability, consider a raid setup or improve your backup. Any ssd that isn't a super shitty model or brand is probably going to last about the same, except for the multi-cell varieties that probably cost more than your whole build

i actually use that unironically. I dont see the problem with it, but my bad.

>4k
Not possible, not even close with recent hardware and your current hardware.
Atleast at 60FPS, +-30 would be possible.

It's only been happening the past ~3 months.

Just searching the archive shows it literally never happened before this year. It was always Stupid questions general, pretty sure it's one faggot who got butt hurt about it and is here literally every day because he is a NEET and can force it to be small questions general until that becomes the standard and other anons start doing it for him.

Just to recap, don't buy any fans, and if you find a cheaper 550w PSU go for it.

>it literally never happened before this year
It's been happening since at least 2013.

show me the first small questions thread from "2013" in the archive then.

this shit has been popping up for less than a month

the rx 480 is a great card; you'd have to be a nvidia fanboy to think otherwise. It does what it says on the tin, a $200 1080p/60fps graphics card. If you have a 1080p 60 hz monitor, anything higher than the rx 480 would be wasted money. If the GTX 1060 has better performance and a similar price, it will be a contender. If it has better performance and a higher price, it won't be.

Have a few.
warosu.org/g/thread/S30656134
warosu.org/g/thread/S31187918
warosu.org/g/thread/S30460828
warosu.org/g/thread/S30578752

And a Little Questions Thread from 2012
warosu.org/g/thread/S30199788

Also if you notice while looking through the archives, there are also threads that call them small/stupid questions, which clearly shows that both were a thing and were going back and forth between the two.

Its been happening since 2012.
OP is a faggot.
Problem solved.

Which motherboard would you pick?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128839
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83UN2370

They're nearly identical but the Thunderbolt thing seems like futuristic tech. They're both the same price right now so do I just get the more 'expensive' one that dropped down to the same price as the other?

>Thunderbolt thing seems like futuristic tech
Same way firewire was the future of all tech!!!!!

And remember zip drives?

usb is the standard, and will remain so.
Firewire was apples special snowflake connector, to force people to buy more product to deal with their bullshit market ploy.

Remember tape drives?
Oh wait, they are still used today (LHC) for archival and other means.

lolbolt is meme and should be disregarded.

Firewire was Apple's superior solution to USB. Thunderbolt isn't even Apple's.

Isn't the USB type C connector changing all of that now though? It can do thunderbolt/USB 3.1 on the same connector and still be able to daisy chain a bunch of displays at 4k each.

So I set up my Freenas box.

Installed a FEMP stack in a jail.

Successfully configured nginx, mysql and php server..

When I visit my dynamic DNS address it shows Me the nginx success page and I can load the php config output page. (Which I deleted immediately after successful testing out of paranoia).

Anyway. How to tell if my Freebsd jail is isolated from the host Freenas? I'm security paranoid. Also, how to tell in general if my (now internet facing box is being attacked or has any security flaws etc.

Firewire wasn't mean to remplace USB (In fact, USB didn't existed when they began to design it( They're solved in that time two different problems.
And also, Apple didn't developed it alone. Sony was involved too.
In many ways, Firewire was superior to USB. But, finally, USB got the market for the same reason that UNIX got the market: It was worse, but simple to implement.