overclock.net/a/database-of-motherboard-vrm-failure-incidents
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>he thinks computer parts are an investment
kys kthnxbye

>3. buying a 8800 gts 512mb

why

that card can still play anything that isn't the witcher 3 at resolutions

Microsoft surface pro 2

1600usd gaymen pc. sold it for half as much.

>thinkpad t61p (fucking GPU died 6 months later)
>some shitty headphones I forgot the brand of
>WD blue 2.5" 500GB
>NZXT H240 (not too bad, just found a better one for the same price on sale as soon as it arrived)
>Alcatel OT-980
>ellipsis 8 tablet (free, but required to pay for data)

Nexus 7 2nd gen in 2016. I have two only because one I got angry with.

1. AMD FX6300
It was dirt cheap and overclocks great but pretty much giving up the ability to use Hackintosh wasn't worth it.
2. Xperia Z3C
Shit is falling apart and Sony updates even killed LTE. Sure it made me realise how hopelessly shit Android is but that's not worth 400 bucks.
3. PS3
Didn't want to wait 2 more months for GTA V on PC and wanted to give console exclusives a try. They suck.

They don't suck. It's just your deluded with all the pc masterrace mindset.

But user, I did love console games before, on PS1 that is. The PS2 had 2-3 nice ones too, while the newer generations had ... nothing special. Some were impressive from technical aspect but just dull when playing.

It's less of a console vs pc thing and more because of the inflated budgets, the devs can't afford to take risks and make identical shit. It just hit PC less because the initial investment is smaller.

they're an investment in not buying a better version of the same thing in 2 years

I kinda regret buying a nexus 5 instead of a 5x but the support is great and it cost $150 instead of $300

Big Java xth edition

I bought this book for my Java course first year uni. Big mistake, 100% useless lmfao.

Managed to sell it to some poor sod the next year though.

Bought 4 480's for crossfire, I'm currenly homeless as my house burned down

Can I sue AMD?

every tablet i have ever purchased

what was it about tablets that you didn't like

same

>GT 240
My 8600 GT died by shit drivers and I needed something quick, while it was marginally faster than the 8600 GT, it was a waste of 100$ because I couldn't wait to buy something online. I am still just as impantient. 2 months later the 5850 came out and I was absolutely blown away.

>7850
My gigabyte 5850 fans were failing (1 actually failed), and its coil whine had gradually gotten worse. I decided to upgrade to a 7850, I looked into it, saw it used way less power and bought it. I used it for about a year but it wasn't worth the money I spent on it. If I were a bit wiser at the time I would have just bought a 2$ fan.

>AMD MSI motherboard
Had perfectly good 8320 and PC at the time, the VRMs blew, destroying various parts of my PC and my room was filled with poisonous gas which I then inhaled. Awesome.

Other than the MSI motherboard, they weren't horrible purchases and I actually regret giving away my older PC parts to my friends. I really appreciated those parts.Lots of nostalgia

None. I do my due diligence before dropping cash on anything.

I have gotten a few gifts that had I spent any amount of money on, I would have regretted it. But otherwise, no regrets

A second GTX 980. A reference card at that.

At least I've learned my lesson and wont ever buy reference or SLI again.

>Had perfectly good 8320 and PC at the time, the VRMs blew, destroying various parts of my PC and my room was filled with poisonous gas which I then inhaled. Awesome.

jesus

*SLI
*Nvidia-

The RX 480 isn't even housefire-capable. VRMs are too high quality... The GTX 480 on the other hand....

fuck you bitch my house actually did burn down from AMD's 480s

either my phone was just as good or laptop was the better tool for the job

>VRMs are too high quality

user pls

Nothing can out do the GTX480. Their are so many jokes on this card.

>This is the person who that happened to-

The moral of the story is to NEVER buy an MSI motherboard

and if you have one, throw it in the trash and buy something else instead. Especially an AM3/AM3+ motherboard. They bill them as overclocking/high end motherboards but they have worthless VRMs and they no protection against overheating, etc.

I've only done a few things as stupid in the past, but they aren't purchasing issues. More just general regrets.

>Upgrading to 850w fully modular PSU after my 750w semi-modular PSU slowly died out
>Replace PSU, decide to use the old modular connections as they were physically the same and by the same brand, check manual for any indication this would cause a problem, nothing in the manual.
>All of my hard drives are instantly destroyed (over 6TB)

Another one
>Fixing 1500$ monitor at work, changing out the video board
>My co-worker can't get a cord out of the video board
>I grab the cord and it instantly just falls to pieces
>I was set up god damn it

Another one
>Working on special machine at work
>hard drive bay won't come out like usual
>Have to pry it out
>Thing is different, bay is spring-loaded
>Hard drive bay springs back into my hand
>it's the cheap, thin and sharp metal
>Cuts directly into my fingers, straight to the bone
>have to call someone to watch machine while I spend an hour with an EMT

Another
>fixing PSU on work machine
>change every cap, etc.
>nothing works
>fuck it, I'll just hit it with a heat gun
>I'm not even paying attention just watching youtube
>The point at which I was hitting had a heatsink on some chips I suspected were going bad
>I hear a fucking GUN SHOT NOISE
>PSU is smoking
>the PCB literally turns slightly brown near the area I was hitting with a heat gun
>TFW there was a cap underneath the heatsink that just imploded

I've got plenty more stories

>link to news article stating GPUs started fire

more pls

Whatever you say shill

Shit, I have an MSI motherboard now...

>get 6 machines with dedicated amp's with Bose stereo systems
>5 fail right outside of warranty
It was horrible and they acted like it was an isolated incident

>State law says one guy has to have access to a safe with 800GB tapes in a special server room that acts as a giant faraday cage
>I ask said guy what was in the safe
>He just opens it and hands me the tapes

>We had a guy who worked concerts and AV equipment and yet was almost entirely deaf. He would come in and screw up sound boards and piss off bands all the time
>He sees someone recording a bands performance on their phone
>He literally gets into a fight with a 50 year old woman wrestling for her phone
>Gets fired next day

>Work on GT 430s and Quadro 2000's all day every day
>almost all of them are still good even though people tag them as bad, usually it's just a bad fan
>Make up stupid mods to get lower temps, put in bigger fans and remove shrouds, replace and put on heatsinks for the GPU and memory modules.
>Come into work a day after my supervisor gets a promotion to another property
>See 50+ Quadro graphics cards thrown in the trash
>New Supervisor: They were broken.

>People repeatedly vandalize my machines
>Pour coffee in bill validators
>Use emergency window-breakers to take out screens
>I've seen more than one asian guy piss on the machines
My face when I go get a janitor to clean them up

>>State law says one guy has to have access to a safe with 800GB tapes in a special server room that acts as a giant faraday cage
>>I ask said guy what was in the safe
>>He just opens it and hands me the tapes
whats supposed to be on the tapes?

Here's a database of VRM failures on OCN.

overclock.net/a/database-of-motherboard-vrm-failure-incidents

You'll see the overwhelming majority of them are on MSI AM3/AM3+ boards

>>See 50+ Quadro graphics cards thrown in the trash
did you take them and sell them for 20 bucks each on ebay? coulda made fucking bank bro.

>Ps Vita: Its a dead meme

hundreds of millions of dollars in transaction history, survielance video for about a month, server back-ups, etc.

The way he just casually gave it to me like it was no big deal seriously freaked me out. Funny thing is this guy is an IT pro and technologically he seemed a little lost talking about networking. Our IT department also has a pretty low overall skill. That guy in particular was actually one of their best.

I would give some IT guys a laptop and aa brand new SSD and ask them to install windows 64 bit on the SSD and they looked at me like I was asking them to hack the gibson.

i spent $1000 on a really nice wooden desk, built to order and shipped to me.

kinda worth it but not really, as its just a regular desk, but big enough that it could be a dining table. it does look great though

Not worth it, my work very rarely lets anyone take anything home. They wouldn't even let me take one DisplayPort to DVI adapter home despite having over 100 in stock for repairs, and the machine that used them no longer in existence.

We literally have adapters to things you wouldn't even think of. specially pinned-out USB-to-phonecord, weird proprietary stuff like that.

every case i bought before the define r5. every fan i bought before noctua redux.

Fallout 4 on this Steam sale: took me long enough to get it working on my monitor so I couldn't return it anymore
I think Bethesda did it on purpose

i played that shit for one day and couldn't keep my eyes open. wish i could get my money back,

Really? what was wrong with it? I had a freesync monitor and a r9 290 and didn't have any problems?

This is a bit outdated for me, I have an MSI mobo for i5 6600k

Still, this makes me feel a bit concerned especially because it wasn't very expensive...

>some nvidia 3000 agp gpu
>literally melted parts of my motherboard
If I had only known about the housefire meme sooner

Getting an iPhone 6 on a verizon contract

At least I got insurance and i'm replacing it since I cracked the screen.

Windows Vista
I bought that shit on launch
10 is still worse, but I didn't pay for that so I don't think that really counts.

it was boring but it ran fine

Getting even half return on used tech is pretty good

Zowie AM: was never comfy to me and broke a year later)
Samsung 830: not enough space, but it runs fine)
Huion H58L: Drivers are never good no matter how you look at it. Don't by Chinese tablets; stick with Wacom

>I bought that shit on launch
Not sure if I feel compassion or disgust.

if the copper itself in the motherboard can't handle the heat of the electricity then it's going to start melting things fast.