Why not just get the Nitro RX 480? The pci express issue is gone, the card performs perfectly well for 1080p 60fps

Why not just get the Nitro RX 480? The pci express issue is gone, the card performs perfectly well for 1080p 60fps.

Why decide to get a gtx 970 over this? The card actually has 4 gb of ram, or 8 gb for a bit more. I really don't see an issue with this card. I think it is just the hype that got out of hand when people claimed it could take on a 1070. This isn't even high end, its a mid range card so it should compete with the 970 and 1060.

This should be a go to card for budget builders who want to enjoy 1080p 60 fps. Yes, I know the gtx 1060 isnt out yet so we dont know its price or comparison, but why all the hate? What is a legit problem with this card other than the pci issues on the REFERENCE MODEL, the aftermarket models would have these issues fixed along with new drivers and overclocked editions of the card. Why so much hate?

Other urls found in this thread:

scalibq.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/amds-polaris-debuts-in-radeon-rx480-i-told-you-so/
scalibq.wordpress.com/2016/06/04/the-damage-that-amd-marketing-does/
scalibq.wordpress.com/2016/06/16/gameworks-vs-gpuopen-closed-vs-open-does-not-work-the-way-you-think-it-does/
hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility/
scalibq.wordpress.com/about/
youtube.com/watch?v=COEwgUI6D3w
geforce.com/whats-new/articles/mirrors-edge-catalyst-geforce-gtx-1080-1070-hyper-settings
reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2vcepp/discussion_4gb_vram_being_used_at_1080p_in_2/
youtu.be/COEwgUI6D3w
youtu.be/KSj2xIHlbTI
community.amd.com/thread/202410
youtu.be/snhSYWiRJFc
forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2016/07/06/nvidias-gtx-1060-outperforms-radeon-rx-480-matches-gtx-980-in-leaked-benchmarks/amp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i don't think it does 60fps on ultra settings on most games. nether does the 970.

the only reason people should go with the rx 480 is if they're still on an old card and don't already have a 970/390/290/7970.

unless you really want shadow play and see a 970 for $239 again.

Why not just a get a 1060?

Its just one week away.

I dont see a reason why not if it is better for around the same price ill pick it up, but I just dont understand all the hate this card is getting.

I have a 660ti

What do?

I'm only planning to do 1080p gaming.

Because its a terrible product, 2014 performance in 2016 and horrible power usage, compare the die size against the GTX970 and you will see.
This shit should be $150, not $250. Aftermarket GTX970 have already been as cheap as $240 for almost one year, it wasn't until recently that prices for the 970 increased which must be because they ceased production and there is nothing to replace it for now until the GTX1060 is released.

i'd buy one but it's not fucking out yet

when is this shit coming out? i checked newegg and amazon and it's not there

I'm waiting for it OP. I did not care about the PCIe thing, it's was really blown out of proportion. Anyhow the Sapphire should have better cooling with a little OC. Thats all I care about.

1060/6GB-Reference vs 480/8GB-Custom

The GTX1060 will have better performance /watt.

The GTX1070 already does.
Performance should be like a GTX980 and it should OC as well as the 1070/1080.

No hard date for the US but it's already showing up in the UK for pre-order and arrival 22nd of July.

Face it shill, the 480 could put out Titan X performance on 50 watts and you'd still bitch.

All that text you just typed will be obsolete when BF1 comes with DX12

Where in my post did you got the impression I was complained about Polaris because it was a good product?

Did the logical thought that maybe I was complaining because Polaris indeed fucking sucks even crossed your mind?

Is this a good upgrade if i have a trix 290?

Typical AMD brainwashed shills behavior, you can't say something bad about AMD because they immediately get into a frenzy trance trying to defend "their" company even when you're just stating facts.

Same here, waiting for a 1070 myself.

You just mad that the 4GB polaris came with 8GB and the 4GB 970 came with 3.5

Are you high or on the spectrum? Both?

Anything over 970/480/1060 is going to be pretty much a waste at 1080p. Get what you want.

No.

Funny how people predicted how bad Polaris would turn out.

scalibq.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/amds-polaris-debuts-in-radeon-rx480-i-told-you-so/

scalibq.wordpress.com/2016/06/04/the-damage-that-amd-marketing-does/

scalibq.wordpress.com/2016/06/16/gameworks-vs-gpuopen-closed-vs-open-does-not-work-the-way-you-think-it-does/

Shiet, guess ill wait for vega, thanks.

Reasoning?

>The pci express issue is gone
evidence?

Apologize.

same here

>people predicted how bad Polaris would turn out.

Sends us to the same "BLOG" no one heard of, with the same guy posting 3 blogs. kek Is this your blog?

Look at them Red Arrows!!!

hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility/

Apologize to Kyle, AMD shills are you not man enough or what.

>Sends us to the same "BLOG" no one heard of, with the same guy posting 3 blogs.

Kek, as if that makes you right.

You know everything he predicted turned out to be correct.

Open Vs Closed? No one cares we all use windows to game.

No one cares man the card is selling, thats the bottom line.

>Who is Scali

scalibq.wordpress.com/about/

Windows only plebs need no apply.

Hay guyz check out my blog don't forget to like comment and subscribe ^^;

Oh but I thought the GTX970 was a terrible card yet it sold so much, the best selling GPU in years in fact.

Whats wrong?

Serious lack of consistency there AMD shill.

wccftech rumors say it will be available at 14th of july at some point

The 970 in my mind is a bad card only because the .5GB has a slow memory controller which in 2016 will not cut it. The RX480 is a bad card because of the fixed PCIe issue, you cant fix that .5GB controller with a driver. Your arguments?

>wccftech
Take it with a grain of salt...how everrrrrrr wccftech has been on the ball with the Polaris new lately so next week you and me can both hope.

The 970 is objectively better than any non-Nvidia part thanks to GameWorks™, PhysX™, and their world-class GeForce Game Ready™ drivers.

>you cant fix that .5GB controller with a driver. Your arguments?

youtube.com/watch?v=COEwgUI6D3w

and countless more, you can use the Sup Forums archive to search for more youtube links.

it was never a problem.

The only people who complained were overly concerned AMD shills who worried on behalf of the people who bought the GTX970.

There was a pic of someone using Assassin's Creed Unity to showcase the problem, you can clearly see in the screenshots the game is using DSR +MSAA to hit 4GB of Vram usage, when the game already has problems reaching 60FPS at 1920x1080, even a 1070 stock has problems reaching 60FPS in some areas at that resolution.

The FPS tanked not because the memory usage but simply the lack of raw power.

You're fucking with me lol

>gone
Nice try pajeet, but the testing after the fact has not happened. And only PC Per and Toms Hardware measure at the slot. Please wait for the all clear from them before shilling.

The 970 is an really good card it only need 3.5 but we are talking about the Sapphire RX 480 thanks now go away.

nice arguments but the 480 is competing with the GTX970, which was released two years ago ;)

There's no reaosn to considering the GTX970 NEITHER the 480 when the GTX1060 is coming out soon anywya.

You have to be a die hard retard AMD fanboy to buy a 480 without at least waiting for GTX1060 benchmarks and price.

So I can't buy what I want?

Only you're a idiot amd fanboy as I have stated before ;)

A logical person would wait for the GTX1060 to be released and compare both.

But you have convinced me to get the 970 -=)

Good choice, it's a good card, better than the 480 too, hell even the 290/390 are better than the 480.

Because it won't be sold at that 199 dollar price point which made it even moderately appealing in the first place. This card could be between 270-300. It's literally worthless at that point.

>people still dumb enough to get the meme 970 after 3.5

LOL

You aren't going to buy anything anyway, poorfag. Quit acting like this is a big decision you need help on. We all know you came here to argue and shill.

GTX 1060 or 970/ RX 480, whichever is cheaper.

I'd choose between the 1060 or 480, as the 970's 3.5 GB issue will likely be frequent occurrence as most AAA titles, nowadays, like vram, a lot.

Jesus even with hairwerks on, the 480 is on top.

>1080p
>2016

No. Vram is not a limiting factor here. 4gb will be perfectly fine for the forseeable future especially if you're playing at 1080p. You really think devs will start making making their games require more than 4gb vram? You've got to be a fucking retard to think that. Even old 750 ti's run perfectly fine with 2gb like they can play gta 5 on high without issue. There's way too big of a user base out there who have 4gb and less vram than there is with cards that have over 4gb. It's literally under 1% on the stream hardware survey that has over 4gb vram.

I like a dead give away it is when a post uses ™ .
I hope you like your 5 rupes in your Accounts from Nvidia Shill.

4GB is ok

>tfw waiting for zen apu

Are these both running at the same resolution? I'm just curious because the images are not identical frames of the scene.

>23 games tested
>6 flat out didn't work + Ashes of Singularity meme
>4 more weren't even smooth to play comfortably- witcher being one of them
>some fucking insane power use

If you're going to spend 500, just buy a fucking 1070, or add like 100 bucks and get a 1080.

>Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst from EA DICE is now available, offering gamers hours of fun in a massive city tailor-built for fast, fluid movement in first-person. For this latest release, DICE has taken PC visual fidelity to a new level, taking full advantage of the power of our new GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070 graphics cards.

>Making full use of their blistering performance, and 8GB framebuffer, DICE is able to dramatically increase environmental detail and shadow quality on the new 10 Series graphics cards, and further improve the quality of reflections, visual effects, environmental maps, image based lighting, motion blur, and Resolution Scale’s downsampling. Classed as “Hyper” settings, these enhancements enable users to explore a richer, more detailed city on the very best PCs and graphics cards, delivering the definitive Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst experience.

geforce.com/whats-new/articles/mirrors-edge-catalyst-geforce-gtx-1080-1070-hyper-settings

>l-look at this one setting which was specifically made for these new flagship 1440p cards with 8gb vram
>i-it doesn't work well on 4gb s-so thar means 4gb is d-dead
Neck yourself

Kawaii af

>but two 4gb cards for $400
>get free 8gb

How can Novidya even compete?

I have a 290 non x you sperg You're argument of 4gb being dead just got blown the fuck out so hard you have no rebuttal. Neck yourself.

LOL 8/4!!

Your *

MSI RX 480 X Gaming version

4GB will be a limiting factor, though. Shadows of Mordor already requires 6GB for their ultra texture pack at 1080p and more games are already using 4GB of it.

reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2vcepp/discussion_4gb_vram_being_used_at_1080p_in_2/

1080p on GTA V is mostly CPU dependent, so a higher frame rate is expected with a high speed processor, but with more graphic dependent titles and unoptimized console ports being pushed in the market. 4GB will no longer be the recommended size for gayming PCs.

>1080p 60fps

My card from YEARS ago already does this. This card is the worst fucking meme ever. Where the fuck is my HBM2 that will do 4k 100fps?

Those would be high end cards. This is a $199 mid range card. I apologize that you lack the proper brain functions required for processing this information. It is possible that your last memory controller might be slow.

>4gb card with a slower .5gb segment
>runs perfectly fine
youtu.be/COEwgUI6D3w

>290x
>no memory compression
>still runs perfectly fine
youtu.be/KSj2xIHlbTI

Vram is almost never the limiting factor, ever.

>world-class GeForce Game Ready Drivers

the 1070 and 1080 are both ~70% better performance/watt than the 480. that gap is larger than the gap between the 970 and 290/390 despite the hawaii chips being extreme housefires and AMD supposedly designing a new architecture (hint: it's actually just the same old GCN) and moving to a 14nm process.

if the 1060 isn't a massive gimped piece of trash then it's going to be the undisputed superior choice to the 480. it's up to AMD now to make a competitive product if they want to win more business.

Is the six pin still an issue or can I just use a new motherboard for it?

6pin issue is waiting for a driver update thats was to be released today but was delayed because they rolled it into a bigger update. The after market cards will carry a 8 pin connector.

undervolt it but keep the clocks the same

How old is your Motherboard? 2007?

>2014 performance in 2016
This argument of "2 year old performance" has been thrown around since the 480 came out and it has been retarded ever since. The 1060's rumoured 980-level performance would also be "2014 performance in 2016". All new cards below the flagship are always compared against the performance of the GPUs of yesteryear, then evaluated on how much they've lowered the price of entry for such performance. In fact, it's been the entire point of the 480's marketing and stated purpose, to bring the VR entry point - which has been the 970/390 level of performance - to $200. This isn't a detriment in any way or a point in your favour or proof that the 480 sucks. This is a thing that has been happening in GPU value measurements forever.

>This shit should be $150, not $250.
Why? Just because you say so? It's as fast as cards that were $300 recently for $200. Why isn't that enough?

>Aftermarket GTX970 have already been as cheap as $240 for almost one year
They haven't even been as cheap as $240 for one month. It's only about 3 months that the 970 and 390 came down below $300, and only a couple of weeks that some have been hitting around $250.

>drivers will fix it

drivers aren't going to fix a GPU that inherently needs too much voltage to operate and they certainly won't fix circuitry that pulls too much current over the pcie bus.

unless your saying AMD has magic code that can change physical circuitry now?

>I have no understand of the issue
>I'll just talk out of my ass anyway

Nice

>2014 performance in 2016

because it's equivalent performance to a REFERENCE 970. with the same perf/watt. despite the newer process and architecture. AMD should have delivered something much better than this, the 480 had to be at least stock 980 performance to be a really good card at it's price point. instead, now the 970 is still a better option despite the gimped memory and the fact that it's 2 years old.

>They haven't even been as cheap as $240 for one month.

i bought a 970 for $250 over a year ago, you can find them on meme-stock for $230 and second hand for much lower if you're autistic and patient enough.

Sorry I don't work at AMD nor can I speak for their engineering department, Thank You.

>muh unlockable memory

the extra memory doesn't make up for the cost of a new motherboard

the problem is well documented, AMD put too many power phases on the board (because poolaris is poorly designed and requires too much voltage) and provisioned them so that half of them can pull from the pcie bus, causing unsafe amounts of current to be drawn.

KEK

community.amd.com/thread/202410

you truly do get what you pay for

See image for 3 people getting their RX480s tomorrow. I'm excited for them.

>Why not just get the Nitro RX 480?
Only two DisplayPort. Some dipshit decided to cater to owners of archaic hardware rather than people with modern monitors. I'll just have to take my business to a less shit company.

>hurr i dont know what pwm is
Weve been able to adjust voltages on gpus and cpus for ages idiot.

Kids board was already trash.

The fact that the 480 basically matches a 970 2 years later is terrible. Some benchmarks show it to be faster than the 970 and some show it to be slower but the main point here is its competing with an upper midrange card from 2014 whereas the 1060 will be competing with the flagship 980 and probably overclock to much higher performance levels.

As we can see in this benchmark it requires an oc to compete with a standard evga ssc 970 which is in actual fact slower than a 980 when compared with its standard clocks to a reference 980.
youtu.be/snhSYWiRJFc

The 480 was just a bad card all together and doesn't even get better vr scores than a 390 and any aftermarket 970 which is currently £29 cheaper here and even cheaper in places across europe.

then you reduce the stability and performance of the GPU by undervolting it. that still leaves the 480 without OC headroom (because you're then putting it back into unsafe power draw territory) due to the bad VRM provisioning.

this entire fiasco reeks of AMD attempting to rig benchmarks by forcing the higher voltage/clocks out of the box then trying to change it a week after the card launched.

>if the 1060 isn't a massive gimped piece of trash
1 9 2
>NoVideo memeory strikes again

So much for >muh architecture specifically built for 14nm. If any evidence does come out proving pascal is a die shrunk maxwell then that makes it even more laughable. An arch optimized for 28nm which has been die shrunk to 16nm outperforms and is way more efficient than one specifically built for 14nm according to amd. What a joke.

>3GB/6GB
>192 bus
>$350
>5 per State

git Hype

forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2016/07/06/nvidias-gtx-1060-outperforms-radeon-rx-480-matches-gtx-980-in-leaked-benchmarks/amp/

Get

Fucking

Hype

1060 confirmed BEAST of a mainstream card.

With both cards at stock speeds the 1060 is weaker by 12% in 3d mark

Also the 480 at 1.4/1.5 (idk which) almost reach the 980ti.