SLI 280x or 1070/1080

I have the option of buying a scondhand 280x for 155$,and use it in SLI.

Or i could buy a 1070/1080 when the price drops.

Is the extra money for the new cards worth it,or should i just go SLI?

i have a 1440P monitor.

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-vive-displayport-incompatible,news-53397.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Never go for sli if you can help it.
The new cards are absolute beasts and if you can find them for a good price definitely go for it.

>The new cards are absolute beasts

The same performance as a 980 Ti and a staggering 20% more than a 980 Ti. For 20% more money. That's what you get from a new generation and a node shrink.

ABSOLUTE BEAST

The 1070 is not MUCH better than a 980ti, but it still is.
Not to mention that the 1070 will begin receiving performance upgrades in the form of drivers, whereas the 980ti has reached peak performance and will either stay there or get worse with new drivers.
If OP is interested in vr the 1070 will again absolutely destroy the 980ti.

Not really interested in VR for now,but if i'm going to spend a lot of money on a card already,i'd rather buy from the latest lineup anyway.

I'm trying to sell my 280x but it seems the moment I mention TDP everyone runs away

I really like my 280x,but i just doesn't keep up on 1440p. It's a great card for 1080.

Yeah, except for the witcher 3 and the poorly optimised average ubisoft game. If I don't sell this keeping it might not be so bad, but I kinda wanted something nvidia for a few specific reasons.

1070 is even cheaper than a 980ti in Sweden, why even bother buying a fucking card that's getting gimped?

never consider Xfire or SLI.

Its hell on Earth.

>recommends 1070
>talks about 980ti getting gimped
>he thinks it's not going to be the same for the 1070 when the 1170 comes out

come on nvidiots

What are you, poor?

>Not wanting to waste money on bullshit is being poor

Well with that logic you are clearly not very good with money, or you are a fucking welfare child. Either way fuck off faggot

I FUCKING KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO REPLY ME THIS,

KILL YOURSELF

>SLI an AMD card
T R I G G E R E D

>secondhand 280x
Sure, go for it.

lel
tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-vive-displayport-incompatible,news-53397.html

1070 cant vr while the 980ti can

Key your other card. You can use it in a spare system or use it with DX12 multi-GPU games for an extra boost should they ever come out (kek).

>tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-vive-displayport-incompatible,news-53397.html

The 480 is a $200 card and it can VR also.

>not buying a 1080 and then using your old card as a dedicated physx card

1070 for sure. Doubt that your PSU can even handle CF 280x

Just don't mention it

470 or 480 would be a lot better. I had a 280x (sold for 190USD), getting 470.

Is the Display Port really incompatible? Or is it some kind of multioutput problem and the Vive works off the DP when nothing is connected to HDMI?

Is that GTAV? How are you in Australia?

1070/1080.

It doesn't have to be the exact same card like with SLI?

The last few gens are more than strong enough to handle physx and normal load.

Plus there are several benches showing that having a physx card weaker than your primary card actually lowers overall performance in physx-enabled games.

not to mention the additional driver overhead and power usage for an increasingly limited number or games.

I have a 280X crossfire and a 1070

Crossfire 280x overclocked are at stock 1070 performance, so it's a $150 upgrade vs a $400 upgrade for similar performance. Of course 1070 goes ahead when overclocked.

Also some games just straight up don't support crossfire/sli so that's shitty.

Also crossfire OCd 280x is like having an open oven and not very comfortable in summer, especially if you don't have AC.

Power consumption is high as well if that is an issue for you.

I have the 1070 and it's amazing.

[spoiler]I haven't played a single game since having it, except Transmission, a Halflife 2 mod.[/spoiler]

amd 280x can be sli'd? i thought they used crossfire.

Ur a dummby, CF is NVIDIA/INTEL only, while SLI was invented by ATI & AMD & STEVE JOBS

>spoiler
GTFO

[spoiler]go suck a cock[/spoiler]

>Or i could buy a 1070/1080 when the price drops.

If you are waiting for price drops, you won't ever be able to buy a 1070. They have monopoly on the high-end market, they can sell the card as expensive as they want to.

GAYMD fags confirmed.

FINALLY FOUND ONE YEEESSS

It's pretty cool. Not sure what to play with it, though. Fucking Arma 3 still gets 45fps, because the game is optimized like dirt.

The reason I'm excited is because fucking Fry's sold me a faulty 970 and I've been waiting for a month for step up.
Good thing it's just under a month since I bought it and I have 30 days to return

That sucks. They have a stupidass name, but I've never ordered from them either. This is the first time I've been able to buy a card that just came out. Pretty cool. Hoping to get VR at some point, but setting up all that VIVE shit looks like a nightmare.

>280x
>SLI

nvidia's marketing wasn't that good you fucking retard

>$484.58
condescendinganimegirl.png

>>>/neogaf/

>buying a full 100 bucks above msrp
are you fucking retarded

>>>/reddit/

or prove that you can install Gentoo

> or prove that you can install Gentoo
I don't jack off to shitty Sup Forums memes. May want to go check your priorities and learn what a vagina is. With the raging amount of autism you're exuding, I honestly wouldn't rule out you being a furfag or brony.

What am I gonna do wait until September when the price is $380?

That is exactly what everyone else is doing and what you should have done you dumbshit.

It's called crossfire.

And no. Multi-gpu rigs never work as good as a single unit, no matter the specs.

Stick to whatever you have now and wait for the fixed RX480 or the 1070 assuming it's not a VRAM scam like the 970.

I calculated this shit
I paid 300 for my 970 and with tax that was 330
EVGA was gonna step me up to the 1070 and make my pay tax again for 140 total
140 + 330 is 470 after taxes regardless so there's not shitfuck I can do about it. You guys will pay like 40 in tax anyways and I'll only be paying $50 more

You paying 50$ more is exactly what the jews want, Good goyim, good.

I just checked out your mom's vagina last night. It's loose

>crossfire
no.
you'd be better off stabbing your eyes out and running games at 1 fps