HummingBad malware said to have infected 85M Android devices, be generating $4M/year

9to5google.com/2016/07/05/hummingbad-malware/

>No Privacy
>No Updates
>No Security

Can we put the Android meme to rest already?
Yes, iphones are overpriced, but they are so much better than this shit.

A quarter of a million US devices. So I'm guessing a bunch of poo2loo's 2.3 devices.
Memeing aside, infecting 100 devices a day? Fuck that shit.

Chance to be affected if you're stupid

Or always being affected by locked down and shit OS

Geee, I wonder which is worse.

I like android but the no updates shit is unacceptable. Even my shitty windows notebook has updates, why cant android have?

Can i just root my phone?

This is what happens when you let freetards have control. Google just needs to lay down the law and dictate terms for using Android.

That would make it even worse. When you have root privelages, malware can do even more damage, but even if you don't, it can still try to use some exploit to get them without you knowing it. Think about it, you could get your device to not boot when you have root easily, and malware could screw with it in a way that could make it hard to completely remove.

Well your problem is that they had a female programmer.

you phone is a literal botnet and the only thing you care about is updates?

>linux
Of course they won't work without GNU components, you can't even compile linux without GCC. xkcd is an idiot.

Android has always sucked massive balls.

So how does this work on devices that can't be rooted?

The S7 Edge for example

Not only this but every single app alternative is better on iPhone. Just a fucking joke android is. But that's what a poorfag like me gets.

I'm a poorfag too but I saved up and grabbed an SE

android simply isn't worth the hassle anymore, I think Samsung is going to end up developing its own OS eventually

god.
Root doesn't affect anything on Android, you have to grant it first.
And stop using so many damn commas

but user, it can be rooted now

> the main countries affected to date are China and India
It makes sense, if you are dumb enough to fear a malware made to infect Pajeets then using iToys it's the right choice for you
Fuck off and die shill

Do you even understand what being rooted means? You're retarded.

Poo's gonna loo, what else is new

>go to fishy apk website
>download malware apk
>check install from unknown sources
>click apk
>asking if you want to install the apk
>click yes
Wwaaaahhhh I got malware on my phone buhuuuu

This. Most people are safe as long as they use common sense.

Also iPhones have way to many fatal flaws to be a usable platform for anything other than calling or texting.

>inb4 grandpa scolds me for using my phone for other than texting or calling

Samsung already did develop it's own. It's called Tizen mate. There are also other Mobile OS's that are Linux not to mention Windows and Symbian is still around I think.

>literally all third world nations
kek, why can't poorfags keep their shit together?

you already have a virus
it's called touchwizz

Because the phone companies can get away with it. To keep all their devices up-to-date, they'd have to put resources into it that could otherwise be directed at whatever new devices they're churning out. It doesn't help that component manufacturers aren't lifting a finger to make it easier.

You lot should have realised by now that, out of the realistic alternatives, Nexus devices are the only remotely acceptable options.

What do you call someone who shills for free? They're not a shill because they're not being paid so idk

>it makes the devs 500 thousand USD a day
>actually never mind it's only 4 million a year
>oh wait that's 4 thousand a year

And it died the moment it came out.

>what are custom ROMs
I have a Motorola Atrix 4G from 2011 that runs 4.4.4 KitKat. Soon this will be fixed and my 5 year old phone will not be vulnerable.

C U S T O M R O M S
U
S
T
O
M

R
O
M
S

This lmfao, is he just trolling us?

Youre autistic for just using that pic

You don't even have to go this far. Just don't install APKs outside of the google play store and f-froid/github. That's literally all you have to do to not get infected. Android even begs you to reconsider when you allow unknown sources.

@55446266
Youre autistic for just using that response. I'm not even gonna give you a you.

I've honestly never looked back after buying an iphone. Don't let shitty Sup Forums memes dictate what you should use or buy.

what font is dat?

>@
Fucking redditor. Piss off.

I love how the only times xkcd gets me to chuckle is when it's an edit

1. Most people here on Sup Forums buy Android for reasons other than price. If you hadn't noticed, many of the popular Android phones may cost as much as an iPhone.

2. All of the "No ..." claims you have made do not apply to Cyanogenmod. Privacy issues are caused by Gapps, not by Android itself. Update issues are caused by phone manufacturers making their own version of Android and then not updating it (whereas Cyanogenmod was relatively quick to fix things like the stagefright vulnerability). In terms of actual vulnerabilities, Android doesn't have too many. The problem is the aforementioned update issues causes them to stick around for a while. Allowing users to do stupid things like downloading viruses is not a security vulnerability. Security vulnerabilities are where applications are able to obtain permissions not granted by the user. If the user allows an application they foolishly downloaded from a shady site to do whatever it wants, that is their own fault.

A rooted phone just means that a superuser binary has been installed. It is not always done through a security vulnerability, as a superuser binary can simply be flashed through a recovery if the bootloader is unlocked. If a phone has a superuser binary installed, applications can be given root IF AND ONLY IF the user gives it permission. There is a prompt given to the user explicitly asking permission. This is much akin to how Windows asks permissions to give an application administrative permissions. Ultimately, it is a fault of the user if malware gains root privileges.

If root privileges were obtained through a vulnerability that can escalate an application's privileges to install the su binary, then obviously a malicious application might use that vulnerability to escalate its own privileges and wreck havoc. This problem is once again completely mitigated through the use of custom ROMs (and note, I will only recommend Cyanogenmod, as it is relatively well maintained compared to other ROMs).

san francisco ;^)

If you like Android you'd get a Nexus. They are the only devices designed for Android the way Google intended it to be, with updates within a week of official release. Anything else, no matter the price, is just a piece of junk that'll be left to rot within 6 months.

>What are OTA updates
I'm no nigger mobile and just got like 5 updates last year

It's easy to get malware if you download pirated apps from freeappsbypajeet.co.in.

how did you get 5 updates when 6 in total have been released so far you idiot

Freedom isn't free, bros.

Boost uses their own Android ROMs and so updates are not in sync with nexus updates you dingus.

>expecting anything else from an app downloaded outside the Play Store

>posted from his """""""secure"""""""" pajeet custom rom

Explain to me how a rooted device could be given superuser access without you accepting the request through supersu?

>mfw my 1 month old LG G5 is vulnerable to Stagefright
Going back to Nexus when the new devices come out. Fuck LG.

>purchasing an Android phone without plans to install a custom ROM
You deserve it for wanting to be part of the botnet.

The LG G5 literally has zero custom ROMs available.

That's why I say you deserve it. If you actually cared about security you wouldn't have gotten it in the first place because you would realize that using stock Android with the Gapps botnet and depending on your carrier to push updates is stupid.

>just install custom roms that you have no control over
>that you don't audit the source of
>that has unknown security features (if any)
>that is based off of stock android anyways

Why are people so afraid of stagefright so much? I mean most android phones have this exploit but nobody has been hut thus far. It literally requires a user to open a video sent by a stranger or some shit so getting it is harder than you think.

It shows that the manufacturer and your cell service provide don't give two shits about supporting the device that they sold you.

You can get infected simply by receiving a video in an MMS message or embedded in a website.

>You can get infected simply by receiving a video in an MMS message or embedded in a website.
If it was that simple then why haven't we heard about the millions of users infected yet? The only reliable vector for infecting Android users is to link them to download an APK away from the google playstore and try and trick them into allowing "unknown sources" which Android will beg the users to reconsider and warn them of impending doom.

"install linux, it doesn't get viruses"

you mean you didn't realize that when they told you you won't be getting Android L/M/N because "fuck it lol"

android is the wangblows of mobile operating systems

This. The only reason Android is getting so much heat is because how popular it is.

But Cyanogen In(curry) in itself is botnet. Yeah there is a setting to switch off telemetry after install. But then again, I don't appreciate software that compromises my security by the way of a default opt-in.
So in short, git gud and roll your own.

>ITT: retarded Android users

>torrents on a phone
>encryption is full of backdoors
Just like Android's encryption.

Still small numbers compared to desktop shit.

I call them a fanboi

I see this guys in every iPhone thread.

Why are you invested in trying to convince other people that iPhones are shit? Different people have different needs.

Also, as an iPhone users, your pic makes absolutely no sense. You should try it before saying its shit m8. A life lesson.

Popular with poor people going off the countries that have been infected lol

>Popular with poor people going off the countries that have been infected lol
>lol
You're so funny user. You should check out www.reddit.com they have a lot of funny memes over there that you simply must check out.

fuck my laggdroid. the only reason i dont have windows phone is because me and my friends use snapchat a lot.

well its fucking ugly

What seems to be the problem? Using a laggy platform is better than using a dead one imho.

You're phone is probably old as shit. What are you using anyway?

Its funny because its true
lel

stop suffering son. get an iPhone

see and pic related

>samefagging this hard

>stop suffering
>get an iPhone

Pick one.

>trying to hide your samefagging this hard
Do the world a favor and neck yourself.

ANDROID BTFO

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH

POORFAGS

Why is anyone still using that excuse of OS?

>muh ricing

Literally kill yourself plebs

>tfw all these people love their purchase so much that they're willing to do it every year

see and

>iphone
>lags

good joke m8

POOR

AHAHA

Virus infested garbage.

Enjoy your botnet nigger

>>iphone

good joke m8

>iphones lagging are so rare that he has a video of it save on his computer

lmfao

If I did this with android I would run out of space in 2 minutes

poorfags are pathetic

>Enjoy your botnet nigger
You couldn't be a more sour grape even if you tried. I used to own an iPhone 6S Plus before I got my S7 edge btw.

see and

>lying on the internet

You couldn't be more mad even if you tried, poorfag.

>rare
>every single apple toystore on the planet is packed to the brim every day with iDiots coming in with iToys that shat themselves after the first crippleware update

>lagdroid
>virus
>no updates
>botnet
>insecure

no thx, im not poor.

Your post is not fanny, I am still waiting for update for my motorola milestone (1gen), I have Android 2.1 and google store is not working since 2012

see and

fuck android only because no turbo 2 root

I guess fuck moto/VZ for that though.

I love these memes, do you have any more?

Make up your mind you raging autistic faggot

>memes
Haha. Whatever you have to tell yourself at night, poorfag.

I would like to use this post to point out that there are literally *thousands* of us freetards willing to maintain and audit updates for obscure devices but you fuckwits can't see past the corperate bullshit that these companies ram up your assholes after you PAY them good money.

The same goes for peripherals like gpu's. You idiots could literally be playing vidya on free, high performance operating systems that respect your privacy if you just put pressure on companies like nvidia to kick their ludite legal teams in the as.

You really don't have any more? Well that sucks. Those were still good memes though.

HTC one max. Only thing i dislike about the phone is its pretty slow, otherwise it would be perfect. Yeah there's CM12 and 13 but they use different audio drivers which are shit.