GNUzilla and Icecat

Thoughts on GNUzilla and Icecat ?gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

The best Firefox fork available. Security features out of the box and free software.
It also has an extremely cute logo.

How the heck am I supposed to use this on YouTube? Is there an addon for this?

It works out of the box. There is a built-in addon to convert webpage video players to the inbulit HTML5 player.

It doesn't work because of LibreJS

>captcha: Pain Place

You can disable LibreJS either selectively or browser-wide. Of course it depends on your browsing habits, but a lot of sites break with Free JS only. Very unfortunate. Be sure to give preference to those that support your freedom.

>but a lot of sites break with Free JS only
broken by design, what a neat feature.

Proprietary software is indeed a scourge that can be considered broken by design, since it steals all authority from users.

At least it doesnt leave the user hitting the table hard and calling the devs cunts because its not working properly.

You have it the wrong way around. That scenario can only occur if the user is using proprietary software, since the user of free software has the freedom to modify his software in any way he pleases, rather than being at the mercy of the developers to make it work correctly.

>because everyone has the time and knowledge to reprogram their browser!

But what if I'm not a coder?

I am completely for free software but in some cases a proper fully fledged libre replacement is not available... and if I since I don't code all I can do is wait for someone to release what I want under a freedom respecting license or just use the proprietary software that already works...

Yes, I can learn to code if it's really that important, and start a project and and find people to help me... but just how much work is that?

How many people are there that have been in this scenario who are actually willing to invest hours upon hours of time to create something when there is not a proper free software alternative to something?

>Using things that start with GNU when there's any alternative
I believe you're what's called a GNOOSER

You could pay someone to fix it.

IceCat is great for most things.
Breaks a bunch of websites for me though (might just be the Fedora distribution).
I.e. Breaks Facebook and the Sup Forums NoJS CAPTCHA

Any other options?

So basically an even less functional version of Iceweasel (which is crippling enough for some websites)?

You can get most of the functionality with a few plugins and move on with your life

Looks like a timesink to me

Fortunately Free Software facilitates communities of programmers sharing their work, which you can benefit from even if you don't yet know how to program.
Icecat provides many benefits, even if you allow non-free JS.

Thats plenty of options already.
Point is, someone has to do it. So you can: Do it yourself, wait for someone to do it, pay someone to do it, ask someone nicely to do it, ask someone nicely to pay someone to do it and so on and so forth.

You're a fuckin Stallman shill and the reason why it will never be the year of the Linux desktop.

>Looks like a timesink to me
sadly a lot of open sourcy is this

How can someone be a shill for free software? They gain nothing.

>How many people are there that have been in this scenario who are actually willing to invest hours upon hours of time to create something when there is not a proper free software alternative to something?
Did you know that software is not grown on trees? Software is actually developed over periods of weeks and months. Software exists today because somebody took the time to develop it in the past.

True but why make it even harder on yourself? This is coming from someone currently running debian stable btw

I am well aware of that...

I was asking how many people are actually willing to develop software or ask people to develop it any time there isn't a quality alternative to a proprietary application... versus simply using the proprietary software and carrying on with whatever the fuck they were doing.

Iceweasel is called Firefox now

People are trained to understand only one type of computer software - does the software do the job today or does it not work today. If people only judge software on this metric, then they aren't going to hire developers to write software for them. The people who hire developers to write software are those who understand this issue of software development. This is no different to how the rest of the world works like building a house, building a boat or building a business. None of these things grow on trees and need time to be built and developed.

Well how about that, I'm behind the times as usual. Just installed firefox-esr instead.