Welcome to /fht/ - Friendly Hackintosh Thread

Welcome to /fht/ - Friendly Hackintosh Thread.

Previous thread (in bumplimit): Ask questions, discuss tips and tricks, discuss your favorite software, and share your experiences.

Users of all skill levels are welcome. Let's keep it civilized and remember to not feed the trolls.

OS X on Apple hardware is also welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

9to5mac.com/2016/06/15/macos-sierra-gatekeeper-changes/
tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-nuc-skull-canyon-i7-quad-core-hackintoshability.193403/
youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-grZUg5ug
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's the actual point? Save money or not to support apple?

to run OS X? Some people prefer it and/or it has some specific software. And yeah, not everyone has money or wants to support Apple.

>hackitosh general
Fuck, why hackintosh?
Why not just make a friendly Apple general instead?
/fag/, nigga

it'd get flooded with iOS users
nice name though :)

>>>/global/rules/2

in my case i built one partly to save money, but mostly because i needed a fairly specific hardware profile (or rather, a hardware emphasis) that apple wasn't doing.

i have a rMBP and i wanted something to drive 24" 4k panels as an extended desktop. teleport would make those monitors act as an extended desktop, but i needed something that would give me DP 1.2 (or better) and the GPU power to drive it. as an added aside, i kind of wanted something to throw a fuckload of hard drives into.

the mac pro seems able to do 4k at 60Hz, but it'd be like $3k starting. and i'd have to plug in a bunch of external hard drive enclosures.

there are rumors that apple is going to announce a thunderbolt display with some sort of integrated GPU. i have no idea how that'll work (i'm not familiar with any spec that would make that possible, and i have misgivings about the future of any hardware without software support from other operating systems), but in theory that would nullify the 4k rendering need i have (assuming i'm willing to dump my monitors for thunderbolt displays, which i'm not).

if you think it doesn't belong here, then report it. otherwise, stop being a whiney cunt.

thunderbolt 3 natively supports external gpus. so it makes sense if apple makes a 5k thunderbolt display with a strong gpu in it. also opens up gaymen possibilities for macbooks without paying extra 1000 bucks for overheating pile of shit mobile GPUs.

Has anybody gotten a working OS X install in the Intel Skull Canyon NUC yet?

oh i didn't know that. thanks

well that kind of adds another issue; in order to jump on board with the external GPU setup, i'd need to toss my P2415Q and my UP2414Q AND i'd need to toss my rMBP since the 1Gbps Thunderbolt 1 would evidently not support external GPUs.

i can definitely see the future you're describing, and i'm up for it, but i don't want to feel the need to replace my rMBP just for that. the last major thing i needed to do was replace the battery because i was getting tired of having ~70% of the charge it originally had, and if that's the only real shortcoming after ~3 years (and another year later it's going strong still), then i'd really like to keep my laptop and just incrementally upgrade the hackintosh.

that thing has 32GB of RAM, something like 12TB of hard drive space, a good video card that i won't need to upgrade for a while (but i'll be able to if i really want to), so i really like this setup.

i really think it'd be great if apple could get into the idea of pushing a central computer at home that really handles intensive shit like driving 4k-8k displays, storing fuckloads of your content, etc... while you use a relatively "thin client"-ish kind of laptop. i might be okay with the retina Macbook if it was a little less anemic (but that was the issue with the first generation MBA, so maybe the next iteration will be the first viable one).

anyway, i digress. the hackintosh serves as a very minimal server machine but primarily as a desktop extender, which linux and windows would be pretty terrible at for various reasons.

Should be compatible, someone claims that he has it working without BT, WiFi and SDcard

well if that integrated GPU is not replaceable, then those monitors will age badly since the GPU tech moves very fast.

tb3 is backwards compatible but on egpu subject, not sure about tb1 or tb2. because they don't have e-gpu thing in their specification but apple can of course release a driver for them in 10.12. because it would be weird if those monitors required tb3, it's just not logical in business sense if only a rare portion of apple users can use it.

oh my GPU isn't integrated; it's a GTX 970, which is pretty overkill for someone like me (who at most might do some CUDA processing stuff but generally speaking just using it to render desktops). i just needed a card with a few DP 1.2 ports or better and the GTX 970 was coming out with a handful of those ports, making it a pretty natural-seeming choice.

the danger in my mind is apple really cracking down on hackintoshes and the upgrade path ending abruptly. the best alternative to teleport if you need cross-platform support appears to be synergy, but it's not nearly as good. i could switch to a debian system, but the whole illusion would be pretty much ruined.

i'd get a better server but a MUCH worse desktop extension.

Fuck off with your shitty Apple threads, iPajeet.

os x is a NeXT product

1) there's a button to hide threads. if you're so frustrated, just hide this shit. stop acting like a helpless victim.
2)
>iPajeet
what's the joke here? pajeets are famously windows users. for any youtube tutorial with a screencapture of OS X dubbed over by a pajeet, there must be 10 or 20 similar Windows XP videos.

I was talking about thunderbolt displays with integrated gpu.

I need os x for my professional work so either way I will get hackintosh or a real mac. I'm using a hackintosh right now with a gtx 980.

IGNORE THIS SPAM BOT AUTIST

Why the fuck would you want a locked down piece of shit OS running on your fucking computer, this is fucking insanity.

for doing actual work with proprietary exclusive software.

>locked down piece of shit
Come back when you know what you're talking about.

a lot of people seem to be extrapolating their experiences with iOS onto OS X. OS X isn't especially locked down unless you either
A) don't know how to use a shell (in which case what options are you really looking at? windows?)
or B) don't have root access (which is not a surprising constraint seeing as most school computers don't give root access to students, and i get the sense that a lot of zealots on this topic are in school.

Locked down? No more than other unix. OS X combines the best of Linux and Windows.

i think that a hackatosh is a great becuse mac os is a great os (not gaming) and apple likes to fucking make u have like mountans of money

>osx isn't locked down
It's getting more and more locked down. Right-click open doesn't open 3rd party software and there's no longer an "Anywhere" option in Gatekeeper.

See changes in Sierra:
9to5mac.com/2016/06/15/macos-sierra-gatekeeper-changes/

Now is literally the worst time to get into OSX, you're 10 years too late.

yeah, these are all overridable through the shell, hence all the caveats i made.

OSX already has rootless since El Cap, you're not doing any advanced shit with the OS through the shell.

csrutil disable

And rootless can be disabled.

I think you are talking about system integrity protection.

just type 'csrutil disable' and remove it.

>needing to root a fucking computer like you do with a phone
Jesus fuck Apple, this is just sad.

>waah preconfigured settings

do it while you are installing the OS?

How can I get a copy of OS X without an Apple product?

thepiratebay
kickass torrents

Might as well use Linux.
Not even Windows is this locked down.

also overridable.

if at some point it becomes impossible to override these things, then i'll agree that it's troubling, but gatekeeper and UAC (on the windows side) were so toothless and easily overridden that nobody seemed to use them. disabling them was too trivial a cost.

raise the time commitment required to (roughly) the duration of 1 reboot and suddenly nobody's willing to go through the trouble of disabling SIP. homebrew and all this other shit is sufficiently motivated to move into /usr/local and whatnot.

and, again, it's still possible to disable it - it's just not an option in the GUI anymore. and that's fine if you know how to use a shell (and if you don't, you shouldn't be fucking with that sort of shit anyway, should you?)

>Might as well use Linux
Why would I use Linux when I can do everything I did in Linux and more in OS X?
>Not even Windows is this locked down
You're right, Windows is even worse.

How do I verify they aren't tampered with?

>Not even Windows is this locked down.
you should double check your facts before you post.

I would just pirate a vm image, download the legitimate image from the App Store, and use that

verify checksums against trusted sources

honestly dude you shouldn't go off road and do a hackintosh if you're not willing to spend a minute or two reasoning shit out on your own.

check md5 hash

Where can I get a checksum to compare against?

Yes. Thank you. Good luck with your general.

>your

>i can do everything i did in linux and more in OS X?
>More in OS X
>OS X

What's so funny?

>Can do MORE on OS X
>MORE
my sides

can you run Adobe Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, MSOFFICE or FCPX in (BSD/GNU)/Linux?

Actually Technically Yes you can on Linux

How retarded are you?

maybe only msoffice. Others are incompatible even with aid of Wine

I throw in a 6850HD and a 280X

Both have the exact same desktop performance: At times it will lag slightly when doing things like switching desktops.

It al

This, I need Illustrator frequently and I could never get the fucker to work with WINE. Only way to make it work was through a virtual machine. What's the point?

Can be very illegal but hey you can do it
If theres a will theres a way , may lead to viruses but hey it theres a chance.

Shit I didn't even finish my post.

I was going to ask, since I've seen people say that nvidia cards work better with this, and to be honest I'd like to use this as main OS, should I grab a GTX 970?

Where can I get an OS X iso from? Preferably El Capitan

What you need to do is download a vmware image from a torrent site and use it to create the USB installer with Unibeast.

I have a Mac. Come over to my place and bring an empty USB and I'll hook you up.

RUTRACKER
No! Unibeast is bad. Use Clover.

How is it bad? It makes the process actually not the fucking pain in the ass that people usually complain about.

boot1: error

like Chameleon is really old, not uefi supported. There are many other reasons to use Clover.

Found this user tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-nuc-skull-canyon-i7-quad-core-hackintoshability.193403/

oh wait it apparently uses Clover now. Nevermind

I'm interested in using Hackintosh as my main OS but I need to know how stable it is.
Have you anons ever had stability issues? Freezing, crashing, kernal panic, that sort of stuff?
Need to know before I make OS X my main OS for work.

POO IN LOO

>facebook OS
>main OS for work

epik

No, never, not even once
i use:
OS X Mavericks (since 2015)
i5-4440
gtx 770
gigabyte motherboard

Poo in the loo, iPajeet.

nice samefag

Fuck off, iPajeet.

Almost the same specs as mine although I use El Capitan

GTX 770 is the best GPU. Best for both OSX and Linux!

What audio player is best?

What video player is best?

POO

I. no one answer. Try Cog, iTunes, cmus, clementine, other ones
II. MPV

IN

SAMEFAG's MOUTH

LOO

Anybody got the RX 480 to work yet?
I don't want to upgrade to Sierra, getting El Cap to work was enough pain in the ass.

lol nope only gpu manufacturer who publishes drivers retroactively is nvidia

You know, something tells me that the 1060 will be supported before the RX 480 is.

God I wish I didn't have to use an AMD GPU with hackintosh. I trade it without losing money, all I'm getting is something inferior on the nvidia side. Like a 960. Fuck the 960.

>eating shit from your hands

guy seriously what's the joke you think you're making here? i've genuinely never seen a pajeet with a mac.
for that matter, all the obnoxious tech tutorial videos that i see seem to be some generic thickly-accented indian walking people through shit in windows.

i swear to god i just googled "os x tutorial indian" and this was the second result after some musical instrument thing:
youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-grZUg5ug

I have my HD 7850 working perfectly in el Capitan, working with stock kexts. Apple usually add native support for GPUs that are in their actual macs, so we might see support in the next OS X version. Don't know if its possible to back port to older versions though.

You can't create applications for iOS on Linux, do you not understand?

maybe this is the right place to ask, i dunno if this question deserves a thread of its own.

my gf spilled water on my laptop and now it's temporarily fucked (not sure if i should try to fix it or just use it as an excuse to upgrade). she feels bad about it so she gave me her 2009 Macbook to use in the interim. I have all my shit backed up so its not a huge deal, but a thought occurred to me - if i plug in my external, will her computer even be able to run my shit? like if i want to boot up a windows program (word, some game, whatever) will OSX run it? if there is an issue, is there anything i can do to fix it or mitigate it?

any responses appreciated

Fuck off iPajeet.

a u t i s m o

Yeah, my 280x works out of the box, however it's not exactly a beast here. It's mildly annoying that sometimes the animations decide to lag once in a while.

You have 2 options:

-You could use wine, there's a few wrappers out here. Though games are quite a pain in the ass to work with.

-You could actually install Windows and dual boot into it.

>you are general

>whut

Either this or a riced out KDE distro, Sup Forums has never seen it in real life so they're projecting a little fantasy.

can anyone even remember where did apple is gay meme come from?

do your fonts look like this too?

can i make them better?

specifically talking about the copyright text at the bottom, but there are other places where fonts look sketchy, like when you enable dark bar and dock