HD 7950

I have no idea what in hell AMD and Nvidia are thinking, considering that this card can overclock enough to rival a 960, when it's fucking 4 years old. One of the best cards of all time though, hands down.

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/24.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's pretty normal for flagship cards to perform on par with mid-range 2 years later.

THEN WHY DO PEOPLE HATE THE 480 FOR BEING ONLY SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN 970?

Nvidia pays shills to spread disinfo because they have to Jew to keep their market share instead of actually making decent hardware

neat

Because the 480 is the best Polaris card available. If the 490 or a Polaris fury was out, there would be better comparisons to be made to make amd look like shit

because polaris is only meant to be a midrange card. the next best architecture from amd is vega

Tahiti die really was something
>first gen GCN, Southern Islands
>32CU
>32 ROPs
>384bit memory bus
>up to 1000mhz core clock stock
>up to 6Gbps memory clock, 288GB/s bandwidth
>3GB frame buffer
>32Gpixel/s
>4TFLOPs
>300w~

Had a lot of longevity, and some of them had solid OC headroom. A cherry die was hitting a bit north of 1400mhz, a few actually got near 1500. I remember when the 7950 started raping the shit out of the 660ti, and started equaling the 670. Then the 7970 was toe to toe with the 680, and eventually pulled ahead.
Of course the RX 480 smashes it now at half the power, but it shows what can be done when no expense is spared in designing a chip. A GPU that actually remained relevant from 2012 to mid 2016.

Those aren't people, those are shills.

this is a 2012 card, nigglet

this is a 2011 actually...

its simple amd said between 970-980
amd got it done
paid shills overhype it to pascal titan levels literally just being idiotic as always
card gets out exactly where amd said so
paid shill crys because amd delivered with the whole memory on it

>announced on December 22, 2011
doesn't mean shit
anyway, i still have a vapor-x 7950 that spent two years mining NONSTOP and it has 0 issues. even the original fans are in perfect condition. fucking love this card, still feel 0 need to get anything else

HD 7850 here. Made back what it cost in 2 days of mining Litecoin. Another $4000 from the dogecoin craze.
It's been an awesome thing, it's okay for modern games, can only manage Forza Win10 on medium at 1080p.

actually if you wanna play the new dx12 games you will kinda have to since your ACE engines arent programmable

My 7950 starts to shit itsself at 1050 :(

Overhyped by fanboys. They said it'd destroy Titan X.

Would happily keep mine if it weren't for VR. The 7950 is just not fast enough even OCed. Also I feel stupid for not OCing before. For fun tried and hit 1.2Ghz at 1.25v with some serious vdroop. Was stable for gaming with an extra 15% performance but it didn't like furmark.

>Of course the RX 480 smashes it now at half the power
Yeah, just most of it is from PCI-e slot.
RX480 got pretty shitty hashing results compared to Nvidia, even for the price.
You can have 3 Nvidia cards without powered risers no problem, RX480 will melt your ATX connector, because they ignored standards.

If Nvidia won't overvalue or somehow fuck up GTX1060, it will crush RX480 in all aspects.

such a shill
>melt your atx connector
forgets to say the guy had 3 480s on a motherboard with 2 pcie slots on riser cards and on a 450 watts psu..

>paid shills just dont give a fuck anyone with their lies as long as the money flows in

i can play the new "dx12" games just fine

>if it weren't for VR
are you people this fucking retarded? nobody's stopping you from lowering some settings to get the fps you need. god fucking damn

All you have to say is made up shit.
While AMD cards might melt your 'ATX connector', nvidia cards will melt your case
That is if the fan doesn't fail first and it just combusts

I guess you haven't tried it then. Some VR games are light on resources or allow for adjustment. Lucky's tale worked great. Eve valkyrie was a juddering pixelated mess no matter what I did.

Both major headsets have stated the minimum requirements as a 970 or 290. The 7950 simply does not meet the required computational power and most game creators will expect at least the minimum spec.

Finally this really isn't something you want lowered visual fidelity on. The pixel density is low enough that low settings look abysmal. As for FPS, ATW does a great job keeping nausea down but you can still see objects stutter which looks like crap.

Would the RX480 be able to equal the longevity of Tahiti?

Have a R9 280X right now that I want to replace with a 480.

When Tahiti launched it was a top performing design. There was nothing out there that could undercut it.
The Polaris 10 die wasn't designed to be the most efficient, or powerful, just to be as economical as possible. 32 ROPs don't cut it any more. The high power consumption stems from its high clocks necessary to increase pixel throughout, and from the power hungry high clocked memory on the narrow memory bus.

Theres already a planned replacement in the works for it, the RX 485, though nothing is known about it yet. I'd suspect a refreshed PCB, lower power consumption GDDR5x, and slightly higher binned dies. It would be pretty easy to drop the 480 down close to 120w total board power.

I had 2 of them, they were fucking toasters but ran eyefinity well, still got a good price for them when I sold them a year ago

>SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN 970
kek

The 480 in the majority of games can't beat the 970 and the 3% performance gain it was going to receive now has to compensate for their power fiasco.

IT WAS GOING TO GET A PERFORMANCE INCREASE BUT HAD TO CANNIBALIZE IT BECAUSE THEY CAN'T GET THEIR SHIT TOGETHER
HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

>The 480 in the majority of games
Not true, it's about 50:50 if it beats the 970 or not.

this made me laugh my fucking ass off I must say

also 480 is shit

Still have this card 7950 boost running solid without even overclocking
All games run at high at 1080p with atleast 50fps including dark souls 3
Only ones which cannot run at high(gives like 40fps at high) are witcher 3, division and you all know how shit these games are optimised

I'm still using my 7970GE, feels bretty good

the pixel density of the highest res headset is shit anyway, so what's the point?
enjoy your grid vision

It's mostly a draw but who cares and fuck AMD, I miss ATI.

All the benchs I've seen show the 480 taking it in the ass from the 970, with a couple of exceptions for minor games. Nowhere near 50:50.

Then you should get your benchmarks from somewhere else.

Well show me the truth then.

Why do Nvidia fanboys feel the need to bait people so hard? That's an extremely overclocked 970, and almost all of the reviews have an overclocked 970 in them because they didn't have the reference anymore.

Hurf durf
I own an "extremely overclocked" GTX 970, a Gigabyte G1 Gaming, and that's what pretty much everyone-but-asus-buyers owns, so that's what you need to compare it to. The 480 won't be able to match it well even with the "extremely overclocked" versions, not enough to escape the performance of the GTX 1060, so what's the point?

Do you ever get tired of posting dumb shit? I'd imagine shitposting is tiring.

NVIDIOTS ON SUICIDE WATCH

>EXOC
Nice shilling.

>I am too poor to afford a 970 so I was wishing so hard for the 480 to match it TWO FUCKING YEARS later instead I got half a card because AMDsucks and now I need to defend it with my life

k
I'm selling my 970 anyways, if you guys want to suck my cock I could offer a discount.

If I suck your dick twice do I get a double discount?

Willing to suck cock for 970 no shame in my game

I could overclock an old Voodoo card to be as fast as a 1080 if I had infinite cooling

>forgets to say the guy had 3 480s on a motherboard with 2 pcie slots on riser cards and on a 450 watts psu..
Yeah, and you forgot to say that he powered the cards separately and that he had 3x 280X before that without problems. You are the shill here.

No rupees for you, Sanjay.
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/24.html

>Comparing aftermarket OC to stock

>The 480 won't be able to match it well

We don't even have aftermarkets 480 yet, unless you have some secret underground information. Hopefully you're a paid Nvidia astrosurfer, or you're living a very sad existence.