Can someone explain what exactly is Vulkan? At first...

Can someone explain what exactly is Vulkan? At first, I thought it was a whole new next-generation graphics API like DX12. However, I have heard a few mention that it's not a full replacement for OpenGL.

IT'S GOING TO KILL NVIDIA FOR REAL THIS TIME!

Vulkan is meant to be used in combination with DX12 to produce high fidelity cross platform gaming experiences on linux-based operating systems.

An OpenGL successor, that no relevant game will use.

Why nvidia?

It's another thing that AMD users have to wait for before being disappointed again

OpenGL is a higher level API that gives the programmer less low level control of the graphics hardware; this means that it's easier to work with OpenGL for programming tasks that OpenGL provides but it's harder to write your own low level programs for OpenGL.

Vulkan is an open graphics API. What this means is that anybody is allowed to look at the technical Vulkan specification and then implement it freely. Vulkan is not directly related to the OpenGL API, it is a new API designed to give more low level control of the graphics hardware to the programmer. Vulkan does less than OpenGL so that means it's harder to use the Vulkan API to make it do what OpenGL does but it's designed to give the programmer more control of the hardware.

tl dr version

dx12 is actually dx11.3 with mantle added features
vulkan is open gl with mantle added features

Why can't we just write assembly for the GPU? Why the abstraction bullshit?

>graphical application development with GPU assembly: just kill me now edition

I don't blame you for not understanding, Vulkan doesn't concern you directly. All you need to know about Vulkan is that console developers and mobile computing (cell phone) developers will have an easier time controlling their hardware to deliver fast 3D games.

>being biased

Vulkan is not Opengl. Vulkan is based upon Mantle which was designed to not be Opengl.

>Unreal Engine 4
>Source
>idTech 6
>Not relevent

It's marketed primarily as an API for mobile phones.

No it's not.

have you seen any game actually using it so far from them?
nope not a single one only doom said it will get it in the "future" when the game stops to be a relevant one and nvidia will have the means to do async..

Talos Principle
Dolphin
Dota 2

Vulkan is going to be supported by desktop AMD graphics and Nvidia graphics.

Vulkan only got released earlier this year. It's going to take time for games that were started this year (after Vulkan) to mature and get published.

what part of "From them" you didnt understand?
also dota2 is on s2 and dolphin isnt really a game now is it..

Are you mentally handicapped?

Show me one DX12 game "from them"

none zip nada that wasnt my point if you didnt understand it....

>Talos Principle
a shit port made by croatians, that performs much worse
>Dota 2
irrelevant
>Dolphin
get the fuck out

it's like dx12 but can run on windows 7 as well.

>>Talos Principle
>a shit port made by croatians, that performs much worse

>this fucktard doesn't know about based Croteam's glorious optimization

Current Vulkan games use a wraper, no real Vulkan games.

Its marketed as mobile API for now because Android is the only one that currently supports it while all others still work on it.
It will probably end up being supported on every console(Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are all working with/on Vulkan) along with being supported on every major engine(Valve, Amazon, Epic, Blizzard, EA, Unity are all working with/on Vulkan) and supported by every big hardware manufacturer(Nvidia, AMD, ARM, Intel are working with/on Vulkan).

I love Croteam, but their Vulkan port is a joke

I read a YouTube comment that said it was just a wrapper.

NVIDIOTS ON SUICIDE WATCH

But Nvidia currently has the best Vulkan support.

>what is a compiler the post

go to r/programminghumor you first year student fuck.

When somebody says "developing in assembly" that generally means "developing in assembly", not "compiling to assembly". Your attempt to be witty backfired. What're you going to do now that you embarrassed yourself on an anonymous internet forum in front of dozens of strangers?

OpenGL has an open spec as well and everyone is allowed to implement their own version of it. No need to point that out for Vulkan; otherwise I'd agree to most of what you're saying.

>dota 2
>boot up vulkan display drivers for skylake iris 540
>crash to desktop

K den not like intel been showing off intel running dota 2 all fucking god damn 2014-2016

>intel
>drivers
Literally worse than AMD

>why nvidia?
Because nvidia's cards are massively outperformed by AMD's cards that are even a few years old, in terms of raw compute power. The reason nvidia cards perform better in games, is because of the software being used, and anticompetitive tactics being used, involving the software, as well as AMD's lack of budget to create proper drivers, which pertains to the former.

Low level APIs such as Vulkan and DX12, harness, to an extent, the raw compute performance of the hardware, pulling AMD away from any software inefficiencies and focusing on hardware ability, which is what AMD excels at.

Nvidia would seriously need to step up their game, which has consisted of
a) Anti competitive moves to either cripple games running on AMD hardware, and creating better drivers as they have the cash to do so.

b) creating hardware as cheap as possible, massively outperformed by AMD, in raw compute power.