Anyone fall for this meme? They say sitting is the smoking of our generation...

Anyone fall for this meme? They say sitting is the smoking of our generation. I made a DIY standing desk but I get exhausted after a couple hours. It gets better over time though.

Other urls found in this thread:

hermanmiller.com/products/seating/performance-work-chairs/embody-chairs.html
edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/24/sitting.shorten.life/index.html?hpt=he_t1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hermanmiller.com/products/seating/performance-work-chairs/embody-chairs.html

You need carpeted floors and the right footwear for a standing desk to work; especially if you're not baby height. 8 hours everyday standing on a hard floor in dress shoes will leave you unable to walk normally.

I had the same stamina issue standing more than a couple hours. Start strengthening your core. You don't have to go /fit/ mode, but doing some pushups, situps, crunches, etc. in the morning helps a ton in the long run I promise. I started doing this along with running before work and it has done wonders.

It's not sitting that's the problem, it's the being a lazy asshole that is.

All the 'even an hour of sitting kills your children and rapes your mother' statistics are extrapolated from data that's like
"People who sit more in the day tend to die earlier" so they calculate just how many years people lose from extra hours of sitting

>8 hours everyday standing on a hard floor in dress shoes will leave you unable to walk normally.
8 hours sitting everyday is linked to cardiovascular and digestion problems. Alternating is key i guess.
There are studies that show exercise doesn't cancel the negative impact of sitting all day

u ever work retail m8

You need comfy shoes desu.
and going from sitting all day to standing all day is just as bad.
You need to get one of those really expensive height adjustable desks.
Also get a foot pedestal or something you can alternate putting your feet on.

>sitting is the smoking of our generation
>in the millions of years of homo history
>of the trillion homos who ever lived
>sitting only became a thing now

This lol
wtf, whats so great about standing and so bad about sitting?

>edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/24/sitting.shorten.life/index.html?hpt=he_t1
Here's some article about those studies

It doesn't fucking matter what you stand on or how hard the floor is, it only affects heel comfort.

Standing doesn't have the same negative impact on your cardiovascular system as sitting. It's not 'just as bad'. Also burns more calories. Not much, about 20-40 an hour, but it adds up over the weeks.

People had been sitting to rest or eat for millions of years, but that's minutes, maybe half an hour at a time. Prolonged sitting like we have today is a new thing.

enjoy your varicose veins

>People had been sitting to rest or eat for millions of years, but that's minutes, maybe half an hour at a time. Prolonged sitting like we have today is a new thing.
no, pls stop

>no, pls stop
Help me, I don't like what I hear!

Seriously, our ancestors were way to busy trying to survive to spend hours sitting around doing nothing.

its not about sitting or standing, faggot, its about not doing any manual labor or sport.

ppl all around the world have been sitting and laying all day long with perfect health, while doing 10-14 h of manual labor during the day hours. But if you sit all day instead this, from young age you are doomed, fucking faggot city pleb

There is very little solid study suggesting standing desk is superior to sitting desk in terms of health.

You fell for the PR-driven hype with very weak science behind it.

I agree that inactivity is a problem, but I don't think that sitting is the prime culprit.

>grandad is the healthiest guy I know
>spends most of his day doing work around the house, gardening, cleaning out the water tanks, etc
>nothing that's too taxing
>walks to grocery store once or twice a day, not a long walk maybe about 3 km back and forth
>this is all he does, healthiest, most fit person I know
It doesn't take much to be healthy and faggots like you are blowing things out of proportion. Sitting down is fine, but if you act like a fatass, no shit you're gonna get fucked by your body.

Let me tell you something bud. I'm a uni lecturer. I teach 4-6 hours a day. Meaning I'll be on my feet in front of the class for almost as long per day. My feet are killing me. Every morning I get stiff ankles and it hurts. So, yes. It's a meme. Mix sitting down and standing up. Don't do extremes.

/thread

>Media science reporting
Media science reporting is grotesquely bad. Imagine if a sports reporter didn't bother getting the scores right or double checking who actually won- that's media science reporting.

everything they said about standing vs sitting was disproven this thread is stupid and pointless go fuck yourself

I've had a standing desk for about 6 months now. You need to mix standing and sitting. Either extreme isn't healthy. Get a comfortable drafting chair.

It's strengthened my core and vastly improved my posture. Dropped a few pounds too without any change in my regime or diet. Down from 205 to 197. I work at home and have carpet in the office, I couldn't imagine wearing shoes all day while standing.

You need to alternate, standing up turned out to be a meme and also has side effects.

too lazy for sauce, use goygle

What if I work out every other day and jog occasionally? Not everyone is a retarded fatass like you, down syndrome mongoloid.

I recently picked up one of those elliptical machines that fits under your desk to help keep my activity level up some while working. Probably good that I work from home with how sweaty I can get from using it.

what kind of retailjob has you wearing dress shoes, then again i'm in cali where our corporate culture is way more casual you can wear sneakers to work in an office without getting any grief as long as you are being professional and getting your work done without showing up with flip flops a tanktop and shorts