EGPU General

eGPU General

It's becoming viable after 10 years edition

Information (Warning: OLD thread): forum.notebookreview.com/threads/diy-egpu-experiences.418851/

Adapters:
Mini PCI-e (requires Power Supply)
ebay.com/itm/V8-0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-Mini-PCI-E-/322175172852
banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1011222.html
amazon.com/Bplus-version-interface-mPICe-Length/dp/B00ZI33ZQK

ExpressCard
banggood.com/Expresscard-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009976.html
ebay.com/itm/Expresscard-V8-0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-/282051720067

Thunderbolt 2 via DisplayPort
amazon.com/Akitio-AMZ-T2PC-TIA-AKTU-Thunder2-PCIe/dp/B00LTAUTHE

Thunderbolt 3 via Type C USB
NOT YET RELEASED: razerzone.com/store/razer-core

ViDock is dead. There are cheap chink alternatives linked that work well with most business branded laptops such as Dell Latitudes, or Lenovo Thinkpads. Consumer branded laptops are a hit or miss, unless it's a current gen alienware or gaming laptop.

>tfw mDP and not TB

:(

Bought pic related hoping a Type C USB thunderbolt dock gets released that isn't overpriced like the Razer core. It's now viable to replace our desktop PCs with a laptop, realistically. There are enough ports, graphics processing power to do it.

Is Sup Forums really filled with normies pretending to be autists? eGPUs are the future and will be commonplace in 2 years.

Is the xps 13 any good?
Thinking of getting one for coding and some occasional light gaming

Does the new XPS 13 work with external graphics? It's a consumer branded laptop so who knows.

Would it be possible to get an eGPU to run well enough for VR?

If it's viable I might consider getting an old ALICE frame and rigging up my own ghetto backpack for the vive or something.

I'm wanting to do the same thing but I'm not buying shit until it's proven to be compatible.

That and sneaky cheeky chinky eGPU docks.

I'm confused. Why would someone do something so stupid and retarded like this when they can just build a custom desktop PC and put it in a mini-ITX enclosure for portability?

Why jump through so many hoops only to end up with a GPU being bottlenecked by the 1-2Ghz processor on a shitty laptop?

Does the new XPS 13 work with external graphics? It's a consumer branded laptop so who knows.

I don't think the laptop CPU of today is a bottleneck but I can't understand it either. The desire to not have duplicated components (2 PCs) is so great that it overcame rationality.
Having two PCs is actually fucking nice in case the other breaks down.

Because I don't want separate machines. I already use my laptop for everything.

Being able to come home and dock it to get desktop grade GPU is a very appealing idea.

Without the internal GPU eating up your power and thermal envelope most laptop CPU's will be able to stay turbo'd indefinitely.

Why not get a tablet PC like the Surface 3/4 and come home and play vydia on your desktop PC.

I don't think you understand how bad the CPU bottleneck on laptop processors are. Ultrabooks throttle to ~1Ghz when under load and this will reduce a massive amounts of FPS.

You're literally paying more for less by doing this eGPU gay shit.

Have you thought clearly about the exact pros and cons of having one PC instead of two?

I travel. I use my laptop a lot so I need a real keyboard. Surface keyboard is no good for me.

I use a full size laptop that can stay at higher clocks no problem. I guess I'd have to see how ultrabooks handle.

>Paying more

I think everybody interested in eGPU is aware of that. I could also lug around a thinkpad because i would save money but I chose to pay more for what I want.

It's not just that you're paying more but you're paying more for less. Might as well buy apple products at this point.

>I have never heard of cloud syncing

Not everything is about raw power for your dollar. I know that might be hard to understand for some people.

Rather than make an analogy about that why don't we just agree people have different needs and they can afford what they desire.

no, it's not going to be commonplace.

>Travel year round
>Frequently through areas with no internet
>Just use the cloud bro

No?

Your files would already be in sync before you left you fucking idiot.

Let me explain the mentality of people here. If you don't lead a sedentary life you're consider a hobo regardless of your income, and you should get your life in check by becoming sedentary. Welcome to Sup Forums.

> I've never been away from muh merica'

You're calling me an idiot and you're pushing cloud storage? Ok.

Yes. I forgot that everyone on Sup Forums was some super bigshot businessman CEO who needs to fly to attend important meetings every single week.

In what way does a person's country of residence determine how cloud services differ?

Is eGPU passthrough a thing?

Because I leave my moms basement for work and school, hence why I need a laptop.

>budget laptop GPUs on par with GTX 480

>once mobile pascal comes out, budget laptops will be even faster

Is there even really a need for eGPUs now? Laptop GPUs are reaching parity with desktop GPUs, and even when they don't they really close the gap.

They've even managed to cram fucking desktop 980s in laptops now.

Fuck yeah, dude. I use one for my asus laptop that I bought earlier this year for 800 USD. It has the best mobile CPU available right now but the gpu is a wimpy gtx 960m.

I just bought a gtx 1070 for it and now I can run shit on my laptop at Max settings at my laptop's 2k resolutions (even higher on my 4k TV but the fps starts to dip) without it dropping below 76 fps. It's nice to use when I'm at home and feel like playing games whilst laying in bed like Jabba, and since the gpu isn't in an enclosed space it doesn't heat up like a motherfucker.

It has been for years with ExpressPort which is found on most laptops 4 years ago. The problem is it's exclusive to mostly business laptops with bioses that support it.

The future now is Thunderbolt, which a lot of laptops are coming with now. Thunderbolt also enables additional USB ports. M$ is also becoming more friendly as Dell, Acer, Razer, and other companies are pushing for eGPUs and actually releasing them on the market for the first time.

>Is there even really a need for eGPUs now? Laptop GPUs are reaching parity with desktop GPUs

Are you serious? A 960M is garbage and is on par with a low end Radeon desktop card. It also has trouble fitting in ultrabooks and uses a ton of battery and gets hot.

CPUs on the other hand are able to compete very well against desktops, since most programs these days can barely take advantage of an i7-6800HK.

I have a macbook pro dual booted to win10. I also have a gtx 760 laying around. Should I get an akitio thunder2 box?

The 760 takes two PCI power cables for some reason. Does the akitio have two, or would I need to buy a different GPU?

The 960M is as fast as a 750 Ti/GTX 970, which is decent for plenty of games.

There are also some compact laptops with 970Ms which are as fast as desktop GTX 770s/HD 7970s and more than fast enough for most anything at 1080p.

With mobile pascal coming out soon it should be even easier to make compact laptops with decent gaming ability.

>GTX 970

Fuck, I meant to say GTX 480.

Fuck no it's not. My asus has one and without the external gpu I have it can barely run Fallout 4 on low at 1080p without it constantly dropping below 60 fps. Meanwhile my old desktop with a 780ti can run it on ultra at 1080p without it ever dropping below 67 fps.

Shit, I was still typing out my butthurt response before I saw this. Guess I'm the fool now.

>tfw TB2 not TB3

Again, fuck i meant the GTX 1080

Aye niggers.
I got an x220t
What's a setup to keep me on the laptop's native monitor

Depends on the bios or motherboard. Some work on the laptop's screen, some don't. Usually it's the latter. It's a hit or miss on every laptop out there.

Guys I've got a Dell inspiron 1545 and I want an eGPU, what do I need to do first? I just want to play Gmod

Can you be specific?

I run my vive on my external gtx 970 + macbook pro on bootcamp.
For some reason VR games are laggy if my gtx is not plugged to an external screen. When it's plugged to an external screen it works perfectly.
Non VR games runs in high/ultra in 1920*1200 @ 60fps (gat V for example) on the internal screen.

I recently tried to use my e gpu on windows 10 and I can't make it work. It's plug and play on windows 8.1 but for whatever reason not on windows 10, any idea ?

>have a macbook pro
>Gabon give you a free vive pre
>want a gaming pc but don't want to spend 1k$
>make your own diy e cpu for 450$ (enclosure + psu + gpu)
>still have your laptop, but now when you come home you have a decent gaming pc
>plus it's way easier to transport than any computer (I could fit 2 laptops + 2 egpu in my backpack and still have room)

btw :
>No throttling since the internal gpu is deactivated entirely
>Retina screens are so comfy
>Cpus aren't the bottleneck for most recent games

Not really an issue anyway, a gpu rarely output 16gbps of data, you won't see the difference for usual laptop resolutions.
You still lose performances but it's not do to the TB itself

Pic related, vive for scale

>Gabon

Damn auto correct ...

I'm temped to get a TB solution that would work on both my imac (TB2) and my macbook for when I'm on the go.
but I don't want to bring a whole separate monitor with me when I go on trips so I'd only use it for lan parties which I never do.

I just hope that the 2016 macbook pro is good.
the thought of a skylake i7 @2.6ghz, iris pro, gt 1050m, 16 gigs of ram, and that sexy 1tb pcie ssd makes me moist.
but all the rumors point it at being an amd gpu which is absolute garbage with AMD's terrible thermals, and horrible cpu overhead which matters a hell of a lot more on a laptop (especially one that runs hot)

You only need the extra monitor for VR though.
I'll receive an headless ghost soon, maybe it'll do the trick and let me play VR without the external screen.

I have a Thinkpad T520.
Should I get a Mini PCI-E adapter or an Express Card one?

I'm just gonna buy the Razer Blade Stealth desu senpai :^)

pre good. iris 540 can play arma 3 extra high textures, the rest low at around 50-55fps with an undervolt.