Arch vs Gentoo

Which one should I use as a main desktop?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System
gpo.zugaina.org/www-client/inox
github.com/gcarq/inox-patchset
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes.

Gentoo or riot

Gentoo, you fucking idiot.

Install exherbo.

>Linux
>Desktop
Have fun not being able to do anything

Gentoo is a meme just like miatas.

Arch if you want to play with that shit and have too much time, debian if you want something that's good and will get the job done.

Alternatively fedora if you want arch update frequency.

Come at me boys.

Ubuntu like most people with a job

>Debian
>Get the job done

Good one.

Arch doesn't allow you to play with shit nearly as much as Gentoo. All arguments for Arch apply doubly to Gentoo.

Debian is good.

>Arch vs Gentoo
Special olympics?

its a lot harder to break the package manager on arch

I should note that Arch very often breaks when you "play with it", because the packages are pre-compiled so they make assumptions about what is present and isn't on your system, while Gentoo doesn't make assumptions unless you tell it what assumptions to make, so it doesn't break as often.

Arch even breaks when you don't play with it sometimes, but with Gentoo it's actually tested before being put out in the wild.

Portage has never broken for me in the three years I've used Gentoo

Gentoo allows you to remove a package without removing its dependencies to fix issues while pacman would require you to uninstall everything that depends on that package too, meaning extra download time.

Since Gentoo is source-based it allows you to build packages without support for things if you don't need support for those things. Arch is primarily binary so you just get whatever they give you.

Fedora, install one of the other two onto a laptop.

Oh, and I guess I should tell you this works in reverse as well. Arch packages may not be built with certain flags, but you can make portage build them with whatever obscure flags you want. One thing I always do (however unnecessary) is rebuild sudo with insults like OpenBSD does by default.

I have to disagree.

Arch should never be used because it's shit.

Fedora should be used over Gentoo on a shitty laptop because of the compiling part. If the laptop is good use whatever but Gentoo is good on desktops.

(desu I prefer Debian to Fedora but to each his own)

you've never forgot to update after a few months and then tried to install a package?

At this point it's either ubuntu or gentoo.

My picture OP.
Fuck everyone else and their gentoo / arch shit.

If you for whatever reason is mentally handicapped and really want something else install fedora.

Fucking bunch of ricer neets with their arch / gentoo memes.

You just don't know how to maintain a source based distro because you're retarded. Portage is the best package manager and I can use Pacman on Gentoo if I wanted. Can you use Portage on Arch? No.

so you're not denying that doing this one simple mistake that anyone can make completely mangles the system beyond repair? thought so.

I use Gentoo at work and school. Fucking sick of that meme.

That happens to Arch too, but for a different reason than Gentoo. Generally that issue doesn't happen in the stable tree though. All I can say is that this is a problem with all rolling release distros, and if you can't keep a rolling release distro updated there is no reason to use a rolling release distro.

Not Ubuntu. I don't like the Amazon botnet. Debian is swell though.

If you said Debian or Gentoo I'd agree.

Slackware is nice too.

Ricer neets is Arch. Gentoo is the distro that was professional enough for Google to make ChromeOS out of it.

For one that's not breaking Portage. That's not breaking anything. That's just choosing your own dependencies.
Two, if you want to learn more about software then you have to learn how to maintain your own dependencies. It's about freedom of choice.
Three, it's geared towards devs and network professionals, not retards.

well if my professional dev friend who has used gentoo for years says he can't fix it i'd count it as broken. get off your high horse god damn self proclaimed genious

You have problems in all rolling-release distributions if you don't update them for a while, although I'll admit that it's a different one.

>beyond repair

If you think it's impossible to repair an old version of GCC that can't compile itself you're retarded.

>Download binary copy of recent version of GCC
>Compile recent copy of GCC with binary copy of GCC
>Update system

It isn't that hard.

Your professional dev friend isnt as professional as you think. See

i think the issue was with everything being masked.

Funtoo

I agree with everything you said except for Arch being shit. I just think Gentoo is better for a machine with a small amount of packages just to make your life easier.

Ah. That really is a problem with portage, but you can easily unmask if you understand the config files.

Arch just doesn't have any advantages.

Then you just unmask. Gentoo's masking policy is awesome.

which you should if you use Gentoo/Funtoo

There is no real reason to use Funtoo nowadays. Please give an advantage over Gentoo.

Gentoo prevails where other distributions fall short.

I should make this sound less confrontational:

I used to use Funtoo because of the Git-based portage tree, but now Gentoo has one.

Having zippier emerge --sync was worth having a tree that was delayed by about a day, but now I dont see a reason for it.

>Main desktop
Arch
>Toy VM
Gentoo

Prove me wrong.
Hint: you literally can't

I've honestly never met a professional that uses Arch Linux.

The entire thread so far has proven you wrong.

I liked it, I think it's a decent distro for what it is. I really liked the AUR.
>inb4 you try to start an argument
I am not going to reply.

Do I count? I make 55k per annum

Debian and its derivatives are also the most popular among distributions, so it pretty much has the best compatibility and support compared to everything else.

I would say "no, it's the exact opposite", but I just realised there's not even a reason to use Arch as a toy in a VM.

I don't think it matters much anymore.
I installed Funtoo before Gentoo on my desktop.
My laptop runs Gentoo works fine same as my desktop :)

Gentoo uf you have a fast computer and patience to compile everything, otherwise arch.

But remember that arch has systemd.

But what do you do?

Really? Last time I checked it takes 15 minutes to compile X

I work in an accounting farm, my job is not related to CS though.

Ok I won't start an argument. I'll just tell you that the AUR is a collection of unmaintained, old scripts that download packages from git when you could easily do that yourself.

The only AUR "packages" that are maintained are the ones for meme WMs.

The way most distros work is that they have one big repository (or set of connected repositories) that contains 99% of the packages on Earth. The way Arch works is that it has one small repository that contains 30% of the packages you want plus one community-run folder with some files that have URLs for old versions of programs /gee/ wants to use that contains 35% of the packages on Earth.

Are you the guy from the other Linux distro thread who said that gentoo was good who said "ect"? I like gentoo but I don't want you making us look bad. It's "etc", "&c", or "et cetera". Not "ect".

They would prefer CentOS over Gentoo, actually. They know full well how crucial time is, customers won't wait for their packages to recompile.

There is no reason to run a source based distro outside a VM. I've been there, done that

Ive been there done that isnt a reason why yet.

No one has ever been able to prove me wrong :)

For MOST practical use cases Arch is just better

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Common mistake you ploughin' petty faggot.
There definitely is. Compatibility, performance and freedom of choice.

>Which one should I use as a main desktop?
Neither, because you're obviously an idiot. You'll gain nothing from using either if you can't be bothered to research them yourself. Please resist the urge to inflame the fatty neckbeards. Encouraging them to rationalize their fantasy worlds is a dangerous thing.

Although the first bit is true.

depends. gentoo allows you to integrate tons of 3rd party stuff into your system and have it managed as regular packages - rebuilds when linkage breaks, updating, etc.

arch is nice is you don't rely on AUR or external repositories a lot.

As I said
>They know full well how crucial time is, customers won't wait for their packages to recompile.
>Performance
3-4% boost is negligible

>Implying this wasn't a bait thread

OSX

That's not a reason to not use it on a server or desktop. That's a reason not to use it for--

What is that a reason for? Why would customers have to wait for something to compile unless this company sells (?) the distribution (?) ?

You do have a point.

He meant people who use it in computery jobs.

Also if you have to sit there staring at your package manager while it installs everything you're autistic.

Rephrase

Why would customers have to wait for things to recompile? What sort of setting are you thinking about?

both require some pretty anal work but at least if you go with gentoo you'll have something to be proud of.

being an archfag is the lowest of the low, and pretty much everyone agrees on that.

I'm not implying that everyone has to use Gentoo. Gentoo has RPM anyway. If it's an enterprise then it makes more sense to run an enterprise machine. I'm tell you why a lot of us prefer Gentoo. People act like 90% of the experience is updating and compiling software and it's not.

what are you going to compile on a server that takes that long?

I remember I was speaking to a sys admin few years back. They fucked up some docker images in their server. By the time they figured out it was already too late. They had to re-compile a number of images and took them ~45minutes. Clients were not really happy with the downage of their data server

Wrong:
-d, --nodeps skip dependency version checks (-dd to skip all checks)

Double wrong:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System

That's what im asking in the post you quoted.

No I was talking about how many Sys admins use Gentoo on their servers

I fail to see how I was wrong once. If you're using binary packages you're stuck with what they give you, and if you're willing to compile things then why not move to Gentoo? Also, where was the double?

Once you have docker, you make images the exact same way as on other distros. This is not a gentoo problem.

So here's a challange for Gentoo fags.

Install Inox browser. It's chromium with google transmission module removed

It also has a patched gtk2 file picker.

Compile and prove how good you are at compiling packages :^)

>no foobar
>no adobe suit
>no ms office
>no games

it's like you like to suffer

Yeah, and those images were Gentoo

You forgot to add
>No ads

>a project nobody uses nor needs
>admits nobody uses nor needs it because he picked it just because it is obscure

I'll bite though. Wait until I get home from work.

Who doesn't need a chromium based browser with a proper file picker without the botnet?

>they never heard of distcc and backups.

They needed a working system, not backed up obsolete data, system environment

>gpo.zugaina.org/www-client/inox
this shitty browser of yours is in an overlay.

gentoofags don't have to do anythiing.

Ah. Well there are places for Gentoo and there are places for other distros.

You don't want to use Ubuntu with unity and Amazon botnet included on a computer from the 1980s. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a shitty distro. There are other reasons for that.

You don't want to use a BSD on a desktop if you need flash. That doesn't mean BSDs are necessarily shitty.

I wasn't trying to say Gentoo is the best absolutely everywhere if that's what you thought. Sorry about that. I'd just like to say that Arch is the best absolutely nowhere.

Been using it for years and works on my machine. I'm not the only one. If it didn't then we wouldn't use it. Some of you people are just bias against Gentoo.

Oh I thought some one said git>everything. True gentoofags never use anything but git :^)

Go ahead and compile from the git

kek

are you implying that it's hard to compile a program? are you mentally challenged?

and i bet it's not even in autotools.

Tell me. Why exactly you'd use Gentoo

Just like some people have bias against Arch

1. Compile
2. Post screenshot
Humor me

Peace... Fucking bottom of the barrel discussions and GPU threads and ugh... Screw you guys, I'm going home.

You're retarded. If something is in an overlay you don't need to download it directly from git. It's all coming from the same place, anyway. The ebuild sources git. If you don't know how portage and Gentoo work, you can never get licensed to be an anti-gentoo shitposter.

Post screenshot of the program running? Okay. Sure.

github.com/gcarq/inox-patchset

drop the patches from there into /etc/portage/patches and build chromium as normal

ayyyyy

Well, using Gentoo has advantages. Arch really doesn't.

>If something is in an overlay you don't need to download it directly from git.
if something is in an AUR package* you don't need to download it directly from git.
FTFY

>Still no screenshots
>Deflections
Every single time. I guess I'm getting to old for you kids

Actually Gentoo has no real advantages over Arch. Gentoo is just a timesink

too much of a bother. keep being an archfag if you want to.