Daily Gnome 3 vs. KDE Plasma 5 thread

As the latest Gnome 3 and KDE Plasma 5 are probably the best and most polished linux desktop environments in 2016, which one do you prefer and why?

>bonus points for valid arguments

Other urls found in this thread:

kubuntu.org/kubuntu-council-constitution/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use GNOME 3 because it has it's activities screen that displays all open apps and its easy to navigate and theme

KDE for features
GNOME for polish

/thread

Xfce

>no wayland

It werks though

For the next few years, yeah.

Call again when Wayland is useable

Sounds good to me

Cinnamon

I'd say xfce but the screen tearing is atrocious, not even compton fixes it

>using a DE

I prefer KDE these days. To my knowledge Gnome 3 still doesn't have a task bar and the ability to have multiple windows open at once by default.

I know there is some setting or extension I could use to remedy that but I'd rather just have a good experience out of the box and not have to worry about updates breaking my hacky setup.

When I was younger I was all about ricing and getting a sweet custom experience. Now i justice can't be fucked to do so.

Gnome hands fucking down. Look at this shit

>that much time to show a fucking window
>title bars use half of the screen
Disgusting.

>using a display server

It's a theme, on a shitty resolution and on an ancient craptop

And yet it still blows the other two out the water :^)

KDE master race. GNOME cucks can go burn in hell with their poorfaggotry

It's 2016 grandpa

tell that to the Wayland devs

Are you also one of the morons who thinks PulseAudio is bad because you used it back in Ubuntu 8.04?

At lest there are devs for wayland, unlike nonexistent and extinct Xfce. It'll die just like compiz did

Multi monitor, gnome sucks. With extensions, it's semi-useable at best.
Kwin rules.

Nice lolis

You can do all that on KDE, and that's all just one of the many options available to change screens/activities etc.

xfce is bretty good except thunar has no search option. :(

install recoll

NO THUMBNAILS

AYYYYYY

hit me up for fun 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297 4401642766297

Hi Lennart

What about gnome sucks with multi monitor?

Have 2 monitors myself with gnome and i can't find a huge problem.. only thing i can think of would be no duel dash without plugin.

You know what's even better than that?

>#systemctl is-rekt
>true

Wayland is stable and usable. You're thinking about actual implementations of the protocol, compositors.

using a Mexican DE

>it's easy to theme
You've clearly never used a different DE

Count me in as a GNOME user. GNOME Shell is better for laptops and other times where you've got a single screen, and I'm a big fan of most of the default GNOME applications.

In GNOME/GTK they allow devs to put the X button in the toolbar instead of wasting space

Guess what? Without working compositors, Wayland isn't usable!

Xfce + KWin

KDE5 Virtual desktop management masterrace, the only problem are the bugs that always appear...

>windows buttons on the left
Spotted the fag

GNOME on Wayland works fine.

KDE
* built on superior Qt technology
* powerful and customizable to no limit
* doesn't assume you're a dumb tablet user
* has thumbnails in its file picker

/thread

1. Cinnamon
1. XFCE
3. KDE
3. MATE
5. LXDE
5. Pantheon
7. GNOME
7. Unity

I'm liking KDE a lot now. I hadn't used it for a few years, but with this recent install I was confronted with xfce vs gnome3 vs KDE. xfce is fine, but it's my desktop I don't care how small the DE is/runs. Gnome 3 is frustrating IMO (based of experience with Unity). KDE just werks. It was annoying when I went to testing and it was broken, but once that got sorted out it's fucking great. Way more user friendly than WindowsDE. Runs fast and is very shiny.

Qt may be that great but w still need a good DE based on this technology. So far the only viable options are gtk-based.
KDE is still horse shit.

LXQT

I'm still on KDE4, I am looking forward to KDE5 for the new look. Hopefully they will have polished out the stability issues for 16.04.1.

How are you liking the butchered nautilus GNOMEfags?

GNOME cucks replaced nautilus with something more functional like pcmanfm

Kubuntu is fucked, now and forever. Canonical fired the head Kubuntu guy because he kept calling out Canonical for being full of shit. KDE Neon is where you need to go now if you want Ubuntu-based KDE goodness.

Also, the next version of KDE Plasma (5.8 in October) will be an LTS version, with the devs including no new features and instead focusing on bugs, performance and stability, so I guess that's what you want to wait for.

I thought Kubuntu was a completely separate entity from ubuntu now. They were supposedly owned by the German group who owns KDE.

Checked and this

Let me correct that, Canonical no longer owns Kubuntu in that whoever owns KDE is now the owner and distributor.

>typing clear + enter
>not ctl+l

I don't even have particularly bad eyesight, but this contrast ratio is just begging for eyestrain. Also missing right parenthesis.

kubuntu.org/kubuntu-council-constitution/
>Kubuntu is part of the Ubuntu project and the council will abide by legitimate decisions of the Ubuntu Community Council.

Canonical still bosses around Kubuntu.

KDE Neon is the Kubuntu-variant that's managed by the KDE project.

StumpWM. Function over form.

XFCE. Lightweight without sacrificing aesthetics (default theme is ugly as shit but whatever), and it gives you everything you need. Gnome 3 has a garbage interface and KDE is bloated as fuck.