Vulkan API

What's your opinion of Vulkan?

Hopefully it will be popular and a viable alternative to dx12, sadly only on windows 10. Would be nice if Vulkan would actually (meaning for real this time) make it possible to play most games on Linux.

Its great for android too.

This will be it's saving grace

Nvidia shield sales will get a huge boost, finally a reason to use the Tegra X1 processor!

meme api.

Unless someone shoves a shitload of money into game companies to develop for that (which they won't) it will never work.

Why do you think microsoft, etc always have exclusives and shit? They may not care about the PC market as much as their console one but they sure as hell don't want competition for their shitty OS.

>inb4 Sup Forums
You guys know the great majority of average joe PC users would jump to some entry level distro like ubunto or mint if they could play games and shit.

The UI and essential programs are already there and working great compared to 10 years ago, all linux needs is that support for games and microsoft is fucked.

The API sucks. It's really not very well designed

Hope it works out well

Vulkan will be amazing for all devices, consoles will likely gain alot from it

It will never beat dx12 until it gets its own math library.

May it live long and prosper

What exactly distinguishes Vulkan from OpenGL?

Let me know when games are actually using it.

i can't wait for it to flop and see the utter butt devastation from the retard Sup Forums tools here

OK.

Hi, they are using it.

Where?

how does Vulkan really differ from DX12?

aren't they fundamentally the same thing: async job queues plus manual memory management?

Google is your friend.

>asks for an example
>'google it'

that is how you know someone is simply a tool. cannot name one game people would recognize

Kind of. Vulkan is closer to hardware than DX12. A big thing with Vulkan is also that it can be used on all platforms, mobile to Linux while DX12 is windows 10 exclusive. Literally the only reason I use windows 10. As soon as Vulkan is standard then I'll be installing a Linux distro.

So you will switch to linux, losing the ability to play anything made before today and simply just hoping that things released in the future will support it?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Sounds like a good alternative for DX12 that works on most OS's. But performs worse than DirectX. It's like OGL slightly faster but still shit. Will only help gaming in other plats. PC, Consoles, meh. It'd better for them to use DX12 or w/e.

I hope it kills off directX

Let's create a texture in OpenGL (in pseudo-code):
CreateTexture(&tex);
TextureParameters(tex);
TextureStorage(tex, pixels);
UseTexture...

Now Vulkan:
CreateSharedTexture(&tex1);
AllocMemory(tex1);
TextureStorage(tex1, pixels);

CreateDeviceOnlyTexture(&tex2);
AllocMemory(tex2);

CreateCommandBuffer(cmd);
CopyTexture(cmd, tex1, tex2);
EndCommandBuffer(cmd);

RunCommandBuffer(cmd);
WaitCommandBuffer(cmd);
DestroyCommandBuffer(cmd);

DestroyMemory(tex1);

UseTexture...

I'm not exaggerating, and I didn't apply mipmapping.

In my opinion Vulkan is superior to OpenGL in high-performance applications. But now days, (Intel) Vulkan drivers suck and nVidia did not release a driver for Fermi (fuck you nVidia).

Android will be the only place where Vulkan truly blossoms.
Desktop is already a lost cause. This extension bullshit back from OpenGL will even make it worse.

>As soon as Vulkan is standard then I'll be installing a Linux distro.
Just like what people thought about OGL
>When its the standard ill drop windows blah blah blah
its not going to happen on desktop pc's

Not that guy, dota 2 uses it now, I would assume other source games will get ported to it too.

>As soon as Vulkan is standard then I'll be installing a Linux distro
switch now. as long as people cling to Windows, Vulkan will never become a standard for gaming at least.
Windows 7 and 8 users are Windows 10 users in the making from marketing perspective. It's easier to oast on DX11 with no additional cost, while taking free help from MS to use DX12, you already have a use for in Xbone, than to disrupt your workflow just switch to a new API you have no real need to.

it has no games
/thread

>nVidia did not release a driver for Fermi (fuck you nVidia).
didn't nvidia fuck older cards owners? Last time I heard Fermi didn't get DX12 driver either

>threading yourself
Newfag
Retard
/thread

Yes, and I bought a Fermi to support Vulkan (I had an AMD card).

Valve's games, the new Doom, Ashes will switch to vulkan, UE4 and Unity support it. Pretty much everyone with exception of MS owned studios will switch to it. PS4 will have support for it too.

Wine will support DX11 in a year or so.

>Valve's games, the new Doom, Ashes will switch to vulkan
Yeah, when? Doom in particular has had that update up in the air for months with no mention of it whatsoever since the Nvidia presentation

>asking for examples for things that are common knowledge by now

This is how you know someone is simply a tool. Posting on Sup Forums without having a clue about current tech.

When it's done and fully optimized obviously

>Valve's games
Dota 2 already has its Vulkan renderer and the older games won't.

no

>will switch to it
>will
You're really confident in this. And I don't know why. Doom still lacks Vulkan, even though they promised it 2 month ago. AotS is DX12 and the devs on the bleeding edge of DX12 development. All while NIXXIES working on DX12 in RoTR, they recently implemented mGPU, DXMD is also DX12 title. Basically Square is on DX12 train. MS recently announced "improvement" to MGPU in DX12. Beth is in bed with MS, yes DOOM is Vulkan title, but id is an interesting case, they supported OpenGL for the longest time, but their other teams are working on DX12 titles, TESOnline is getting DX12. etc.
Right now Valve is the only publisher\studio that pledged allegiance to Vulkan.

There's also Epic.

Which comes to API or GPU drivers.

Wine at this point is pretty solid for DX9. I'd imagine M$ pays neckbeards over in the dev chain off to put off actual DX9 speed optimization and DX11.

Carmack is a fucking grand master wizard coder apparently hindered by his compatriots.

Even if games or other software would use vulkan that doesn't mean it will work in Linux.
Companies will continue to develop for windows only...

The way I understand it is it'd be easier to emulate/run on Linux if the graphics API is the same. E.g OpenGL on Windows is easier as OpenGl on Linux than DX9 faggotry to OpenGL.

As the linux gayming userbase grows, more devs will support it. You can already see this happening now. It even happened on macs, which cant even run games properly due to shit tier hardware.

They won't. More and more support is being released for Linux, where have you been living for the past several years?

this.

vulkan just made development harder. Since motherfucker GPU companies still didn't come up with a standard to utilize their GPUs, we deal with those detail shits. It's just difficult to adapt it to your architecture. Whole thing is a mess.

Congratulations on forgetting the Vulkan *launch fucking title* The Talos Principle and the fact Croteam is adding a Vulkan renderer to all future games.

I've bought into the hype of Vulkan, but deep down I know that it isn't going to be what I want it to be.

My delusion:
YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY NEWEST VIDEO GAMES OF 2017 ON MAX SETTINGS @ 60FPS WITH SHITTY THREE YEAR OLD VIDEO CARDS!

Reality, I'm sure:
You're still going to need at least a GTX1070 to play everything on max settings, Vulkan is just more optimized so you won't need a GTX1080 just for 60fps!

Valve will use it (because they hate MS/W10), but that's about it. Most gayman kids will move to W10 anyway.

Vulkans benefits are in cpu efficiency, that's why amd came up with it in the first place.

It's shit and meme with tons of critical bugs.
Also, the driver creators will never support it for older devices so its useless.

>A big thing with Vulkan is also that it can be used on all platforms
Right now it can't be used almost nowhere.

>while DX12 is windows 10 exclusive
For now, nobody is stopping anyone from making a GNU/Linux implementation.

>For now, nobody is stopping anyone from making a GNU/Linux implementation.
I know Salty Nutella is firing old guard and restructuring MS with some new way of handling things, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Nobody stopped people from making a free DX9 and DX11 implementation.

That's still nothing compared to the 700 loc triangle rotating example.

Games using it right now are barely dx titles wrapped on vulkan so we can't be sure it performs worse than dx12 (there's some dx12 titles that are pretty much wrappers around dx11 that doesn't achieve performance gains too).

Also drivers less mature, standard still improving.

gallium-nine, native like dx9 implementation, is way faster than wine implementation.

Except vulkan is going to make vidya on Linux viable. Great thing about cross platform means the same APIs work on multiple systems, you just have to make it compile properly.

wow
if there are so many companies behind vulkan, there must be a lot of games being made on it, right?

I think Vulkan will stay primarily Android's thing. Somehow Linux will be forgotten.

:^)

It can't be "forgotten" because it can hardly be neglected more than it has already been.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

People often forgets that Vulkan is also an OpenCL replacement.

We can build, for example, physics engines with the same API has we render graphics reducing the overhead of having multiple subsystems.

Heard this decades ago about opengl