jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/
bastian.rieck.ru/uni/bin_packing/bin_packing.pdf
arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1235679&p=26303271#p26303271
nerd-monkey.com/category-NAS
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157675
youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are there Skylake consumer boards that support ECC memory?

I'd like to build a home server that runs FreeNAS with the ZFS file system.

If i fuzz the gps data before it reaches pokemon go, will it think im walking and hatch my egg?

heh, why would you think you need ECC for that?

Everyone in the storage business seems to scream murder when you don't.

google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=zfs ecc

How do I get a job at bestbuy with

> i built my own gaymen pc

knowledge and no work experience.

Thinking of just showing up and asking for interview. Am high school senior.

Not from USA so I don't know how good BestBuy is. But if you want to become better at fixing computers stick on the SQT threads. Helping anons fix, or watching anons help fix computers helps a lot on terms of mindset.

So, Sup Forums.

Explain to me why some email provides block emails coming from dynamic IPs, even though the IP has SPF + DKIM + DMARC set up. Indeed, why does RATS Dyna blacklist exist?

have you read through that?
its mostly missinformed neckbeards screaming bloody murder about nothing

jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/

because 99.9% of the time people using dynamic IP addresses don't set up a mail server.
it's far more common that they got infected and spread their malware by sending mass mails.
so losing that tiny percentage of people doesn't matter.

if you really need one, set up a vps to relay mails for a few $ per month.

>i built my own gaymen pc

add that you intalled countless times windows
trouble shoot all your family and friends
should be enough and they will give you training anyway
go and try

SPF + DKIM + DMARC, user.

They could at least allow IPs that have their shit fully secured. Or at least send those emails to the spam folder.

so what, you are one of thousands of people wanting this.
you could go to every company and swear you aren't going to send any spam too.
what you want is insignificant.

I've read about 20 articles including that one. One tells me that I could just run without, the other one tells me I'm insane for even thinking about it.

The issue is that I don't know who has the correct answer. Yes the co-founder said something about it not being dangerous.

I'm not nearly fully knowledgeable about ZFS, but if I use ZFS raid with 2 HDDs will I be safe from HDD error rates?

You don't really need ECC if you are using ZFS, so if that is the only thing stopping you, don't worry about it.

I want to program the First Fit algorithm for the Bin-Packing problem.
It's fairly easy, here's some pseudo code
bastian.rieck.ru/uni/bin_packing/bin_packing.pdf

But I also want to output the content of every bin in a list, that has separators between each bin. And as a note, each of my item is 2-dimensional, consisting of a weight and an id.

How do

>will I be safe from HDD error rates
what in the flying jesus is that - a hdd error rate?

anyway, yes, you will be fine, ive been running ~15 nas4free machines for like 2 years, data integrity was never an issue

that article only points out that the doomsday scenario that single bit flip in memory could shit your whole pool is nonsense

arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1235679&p=26303271#p26303271

Why are original Arduinos so much expensive than clones? Are the clones bad quality? I found a few opinions stating so.

this is good advice thank you.

I installed windows more times than I can count when I was 13 because I didn't switch the mobo boot to Hdd instead of disc.

cheers

I suppose I'll consider a VPS, but it's basically paying for an iptables firewall to just redirect traffic. And I suppose I'll have to make postfix rewrite the source IP in heaaders as well, but that's trivial.

Read Error Rate I meant. They say that a single one of those could ruin your pool.

Yeah I just have to know that I can't just shrek my entire pool like that. If I lose a file idc, I always get offsite backups of my important files.

So that'll be it: No ECC memory.

Is it fine if I just use the onboard S-ATA ports?

For completeness if anyone has any remarks on my build so far (It's not only going to run FreeNAS):

Celeron G3900
MSI H110M PRO-VD
CORSAIR CMV8GX4M1A2133C15 8GB (maybe 2 of these?)
Corsair VS 350W
Western Digital Red 2TB x2
Some small SSD for the OS so the HDDs can spin down.

Research I'd say. Clones can just ctrl+c ctrl+v the schematics.

Is it fine if I just use the onboard S-ATA ports?
Yes

nerd-monkey.com/category-NAS

Some builds listed here for comparison

Will you stop posting this reddit tier show.

What's Raid and what's the point of it?

Making multiple disks work together.

It improves speed or helps to recover when a disk breaks. Depends on the configuration.

So basically combines different ssd/hdd into one? What's the downside?

you dont need SSD
freeNAS and nas4free are both build so that you boot from usb key, 4GB is enough
its to save sata ports for data drives

would up the HDDs to 2 x 3TBs
and you dont need that much ram, they often say that 1TB of data = 1GB of ram
thats for caching and performance, not for home media server, 4GB ram would be more than enough for anything and everything

Sup, what do you recommend for a future proof build?

Haswell

i7 4790 and GA-B85M-DS3H-A

or

Skylake

i5 6500 with GA-B150M-D3H GSM

the first is about 40 usd more

Been testing out different distros on virtualbox, keeping all the iso files on one flash drive. If I want to actually install one in a newly-built PC, do I need to take out all but the one I want?

It's not only going to run FreeNAS. It's going to run at least OpenVPN, DNSMasq and a LAMP stack as well. And I have 4 S-ATA ports with the H110 chipset anyway.

My plan for the whole thing is to run an ESXi and virtualize everything.

But going for Skylake is a good idea right?

Is a 650w psu enough for a 980ti gpu?

For RAID0:

You write and read the split data to 2 disks at the same time. This improves speed but causes you to lose everything when 1 disk breaks.

RAID1:
You write and read the same data to 2 disks at the same time. This gives you redundancy but you only have half the storage.

You can combine these into a RAID10 and then you have both. The only downside with this is that you need 4 disks.

outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Thanks user

If two people compiled exactly the same source code using exactly the same method, would the checksums be identical?

I'm using this command
youtube-dl -x --audio-format mp3 --embed-thumbnail
to download ASMR and convert it as MP3.
How do I increase the quality of the MP3 files?the resulting file have this ffprobe
Stream #0:0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16p, 70 kb/s
However I believe this bitrate is variable.

How do I get rid of DNS unlocker in my Chrome browser? I can't find it in control panel or extensions to uninstall it, really appreciate if anyone can help me out

Is it possible to root a 910V note 4? I keep seeing different sources with different answers.

where can i buy a cryptolocker kit to make my own?

Also a raid 1 backup is just a mirror, so if something gets corrupted or deleted on one drive, it has the same problem on the other. And sometimes certain utilities or hardware or OS's wont be compatible with raid, so it's something to be aware of. You wouldn't combine different sized disks or an ssd with an hdd either.

How do game patches work?
Let's say I missed patch 1.2, will it be included with patch 1.3 when I download it or I have to download it alongside it? If it was included with 1.3 wouldn't it make 1.3 larger?

Yes. That's how people are able to confirm nothing has been added to it.

Thank you so much

I'm using my PC for BOINC, and one project I'm part of makes my GPUs run constantly near 80 Celsius for hours. Is this acceptable or am I just wearing out my GPUs faster than normal?

Depends on the game or program in question.

It'll let the fans turn harder and make them wear out faster. But it'll probably be a worthless piece of hardware before that happens. The thing you should worry about is your power bill.

did you bother reading the help?
-x, --extract-audio Convert video files to audio-only files
(requires ffmpeg or avconv and ffprobe or
avprobe)
--audio-format FORMAT Specify audio format: "best", "aac",
"vorbis", "mp3", "m4a", "opus", or "wav";
"best" by default
--audio-quality QUALITY Specify ffmpeg/avconv audio quality, insert
a value between 0 (better) and 9 (worse)
for VBR or a specific bitrate like 128K
(default 5)

how do I make Windows alarm stop after one minute (or any other alarm sw recommendation, multiple alarms)?

I read it, but I didn't understand it.

--audio-quality 0
or any other VBR quality level

Old lady that works with me asked me to buy her a $200-300 laptop to get for her high school level son. What can I get that's decent for such a low cost and it's not used?

Nothing that isn't pure anus. If you'd pay 500 it would last a lot longer.

Let's say an OS or Torrent client etc.

That's an awfully slim budget for a laptop. You can try searching slickdeals for a while until something pops up in your price range.

Can I get a decent desktop for that? She only wants a laptop because her kids said so, but they don't plan to take it anywhere.

still depends.
some you need to update each version separately, some put everything into one huge patch, some others do delta patches that only download the bytes that changed, some download the entire program again and just install over the old one.

there's not one way to do this. it depends on whichever way the developers programmed it.

I can build a pc for 300. Without screen, keyboard, mouse and OS that is.

I want 2 1080p monitors,

Well most torrent clients would have you download a whole new copy of the client. Windows installs updates single file, sometimes certain updates have a prerequisite, and sometimes they'll roll up several updates into a service pack which then becomes a prerequisite for a lot of things. The second "service pack" for windows 7 is called a "convenience roll up" and you can choose between it and the individual updates.

+1

You can get a good chromebook or an entry level laptop for that much. Scratch and dent/refurbished/older generation helps.

buying and plugging in to my pc used sd card
is it risky?

wat

Used from where?

used by previous owner

If it's not sticky just format it and you're good

How can I display Japanese character in Bblean workplace names.

When I copy/paste I get exclamation points (see pic)

Should my CPU be hitting these temperatures? They seem unreasonably high.

It has a game running in the background, and it's not unusual for it to hit 75-76ÂșC while playing. I cleaned up my PC recently, so even if it has some dust in it, it's not that much, should be decently clean. Also reapplied thermal paste about a month ago in preparation for the summer, but it seems like it didn't change a thing. My case airflow isn't great, but still, it seems like it's going much higher than it should. Even the 390 in my case is never going up that high, it's always the CPU that's hotter.

Is it time to invest in a custom cooler? I really didn't want to have to, since it's just a shitty non-K i5, but still, these temps are seriously messing with me.

Where am I supposed to mount an additional hard drive with personal data? /home/.../xyz? /mnt/xyz?

I'm getting 40-45fps at 1080p in epic settings Ark using an i5 6600 and a msi 1070 with 16gb 2400mhz corsair vengeance ram.

This does not feel like it's supposed to happen, what could be the cause here? I'm also getting sub 60 in witcher 3 if I max both hairworks and shadows.

Card is also capping out at 100% from time to time.

Temps are fine, CPU trudging along at 30-35c with GPU hanging around 60-65, which is normal as the fans don't turn on below 60.

how about used usb flash drives? there used to be opinions that they can damage pc

Anywhere you want. I often mount it under ~/mount

why does lain look so weird?

There used to be the option that CDs and DVDs would run automatically. You could also turn that on for flash drives. And ofc automatically starting code == bad things.

To my knowledge that option is gone now.

Sli. Pardon my stupidity...

Can you run dual gpus off any lanes and still achieve the same bandwidth? For example the first and last pci slots on this motherboard, instead of the first and third.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157675

youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA

Explains it better than I can in a post.

I'm learning Java and reading the code of an image viewer application. This is a snippet from a method that sets up the GUI by hand. showAbout() is a method of this class. Now, I was just wondering if someone could clarify the syntax used in the regular AWT/Swing addActionListener() call here, because it's a lot neater than creating anonymous classes in my newbie opinion. The only thing I know is that "e" is an identifier commonly used in the actionPerformed() signature of the listener class ...

Thanks in advance!

how big is programming in cyber security? i find the networking and operational systems very nice but i hate programming, i can read programs in C and python but anyway, just wanna know if i go down on security i will have to face too much programming

Did a reinstall of Windows on my SSD, and upon a few minutes after I get this message for my secondary HDD. I ran a chkdsk and it found no errors. I am running a program to repair bad sectors, but I dont understand why Windows gives me this message, but when I check for errors it says its totally fine. I should mention that I have not yet updated my drivers and whatnot (new install) but ive never seen this before and the HDD is only a few months old and never gave me this message before i reinstalled win8.1

Would it be possible to run Onenote on Raspbian/Debian? Failing that, is there an equivalent software (the wiki doesn't point out any).

Thank you anons

>notice it's sitting at 645mhz

What

Does this mean that my card is faulty or what's going on?

I have been running my seedbox from my old laptop using windows and qbittorent since before 9/11

Now convince me to switch over to ubuntu or debian.

Run a SMART test with CrystalDiskInfo and post results. Use the portable version of the software.

>windows
So that'll be winxp then?

is it possible or just some wrong info i've heard;
one can craft a protocol packet and fill it with malware, then send it to someone's pc after doing a portscan?
it sounds too simple but i've read conflicting info

there needs to be service listening on a port that will take that packet info

How do you add several functioning case fans to a computer build? I'll see guys with the crazy 2k builds and they'll have every fan space, so like 8-9 fans generally, all working.

And yes I've youtube'd computer builds. They always gloss over how they actually power/control the fans, they just show the instructor installing it to the case.

I'm confused because there aren't that many fan headers even on high end motherboards, are there?

Is uTorrent 2.2.1 safe to use? What are possible concerns?

Why is cat getting called here?

there are some issues. enough to switch to something better like qbittorrent or deluge. i dont know much about it, do research.

you can find a page that lists all the potential issues with U 2.2.1 its basically safe if you arent an idiot and have common sense. dont click random .torrents

What happened to this? Is it not happening anymore? Have I been meemed?

So I'm looking at this mATX motherboard and it says it has 1 Chassis Fan Connector. Is this normal? Does this mean I can only connect one chassis fan? Surely that's not right. I looked at a few others and they also only had one connector (with a few boasting two).

because that's what you're doing, right? you've left the command out but you're basically just running cat /dev/random > /dev/null
zsh is using cat to do what you want

buy more expensive mobo, more fan connects will be
or buy decent case with fan controller
or buy fan controller yourself
or just connect fan to the psu directly

get a splitter or molex to 2/3pin adapters if you want more

Well yes, but i though it'd do some redirection magic
and what would it do if there won't be cat?

is there a way to play games on linux? i've got all these nice windows steam games and don't want them to go to waste.