/pcb/ - PC Building

Rate, create builds, criticize constructively.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WwVP3F

I think my build is pretty good.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/CxWBbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/mk6gwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/hGczYr
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qFPgRB
pcpartpicker.com/list/8wk7WX
pcpartpicker.com/list/JDKQZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/mqQvnn
overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforcegtx_1070_overclocking/2.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=ux7aH7r1KoI&feature=youtu.be&t=1m17s
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=225
pcpartpicker.com/product/LPVBD3/cryorig-cpu-cooler-m9i
pcpartpicker.com/list/JKTxGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/QGrvnn
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/HWrBbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/nBzw6X
pcpartpicker.com/user/Demontous/saved/#view=Lw3nTW
pcpartpicker.com/list/T49ZRG
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9zWTBP
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fR448K
pcpartpicker.com/user/AtrusHB/saved/PWhscf
pcpartpicker.com/list/dyDWZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/2frLD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/3c9r6X
pcpartpicker.com/list/nWv7WX
pcpartpicker.com/list/VWQxGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/bwGD2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/JpwfHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/sYQzYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/yYpyf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/88NHhq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Looks good. I would go with an SSHD at least for your boot drive though.

pcpartpicker.com/list/CxWBbj

>CPU and Mainboard for OCing but a cooler to shitty for that
>16 GiB RAM
>HDD instead of SSD
>Case with WINDOW

SSHDs are fucking DOA don't listen to get this guy. SSD + HDD is the only acceptable setup unless you have shittons of cash so you can go pure SSD.

I'm guessing this is a server build judging by the Xeon, but did you make it this expensive on purpose?

>16gb ram le xd

It only costs 30 dollars more than 8GB. Also, windowed cases, doesn't matter. I give zero fucks about aesthetics, and any good mid-tower case I've came across has a window, whether I like it or not.

pcpartpicker.com/list/mk6gwV

Is it okay now?

Just because you had one bad experience doesn't mean a whole product line is shit

No, the performance of an SSHD is just unimpressive compared to what you can get with a proper SSD.

But that's not what doa means retard.

pcpartpicker.com/list/hGczYr

Get this, I5 will bottleneck the gtx 1070, search it on youtube

Nice try, faggot. The 6700k has extremely marginal performance gains over the 6600k in terms of gaming. Content creation is a different story but for my purposes the 6600k will do.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qFPgRB

any recommendations for a good laptop like a classic lenovo but not prehistoric?

pcpartpicker.com/list/8wk7WX

Aftermarket 470 and another 16GiB meme stick later

Are you literally retarded? Wait for 2 or three years, maybe the hexacores will stop being a meme for gaymen then.

Power supply is overpriced.
Refurbished HGST 2TB drives go for $30 on eBay.
That SSD is way overpriced, you should get at least a 250GB for that price.
That cooler is a meme. You don't really need it until you upgrade to something a bit better.

Look around for deals.
Otherwise the build is fine.

Well they are DOA. Nobody buys them.

That PSU isn't overpriced in any way at all. It's the same price as a semi-modular 550w 80+ Gold SeaSonic, in fact a bit cheaper. I don't buy refurb. I prefer Samsung because Kingston has done some shady shit and I don't trust Sandisk with anything that isn't flash drives.

It's funny you say that because a SSD is a bunch of flash drives in RAID.

my two cents:

pcpartpicker.com/list/JDKQZ8

firstly, one of the best things you can do to save some money is to go with a locked i5, stock cooler, $50 mobo, and 8gb ram. if you're not going to overclock that cpu, then do that.

example: pcpartpicker.com/list/mqQvnn

if you go for the oc, you've got a cheaper, larger cooler, cheaper equivalent mobo, and faster, cheaper ram.

added a good cheap ssd. it's a planar tlc drive so long sustained writes will be slow but ordinary os usage will be basically identical to a more expensive model.

that 1070 is good but also consider a 980ti. you can find them much cheaper ($360 sometimes) and they can be overclocked to the same level as a 1070, albeit with less ram and more power consumption.

much cheaper case, comes with three fans and will hold and cool all your components just as well as that more expensive one. look around at others if you don't like the look of it, but remember that it's just a box in the end.

slightly cheaper psu, seasonic gb bronze platform, same as the s12ii. it's no g2, but it's still damn good, with a ball bearing fan and 5 year warranty.

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=225

one little mistake i made, the cryorig m9i should be a slightly better deal than that silverstone cooler. either one will fit in that case despite pcpp's compatibility warning.

pcpartpicker.com/product/LPVBD3/cryorig-cpu-cooler-m9i

pcpartpicker.com/list/JKTxGf

Should I do it? What should I change?

bump

i'm missing everything but a gpu.
1060 or 480?

All is in AUD, total of $2456.00 but one guy is selling it for 1900. Good?

Is 120GB enough?

pcpartpicker.com/list/QGrvnn

Will get this as soon as I get a job

Only you can decide that fampai.

But having owned two machines with less than 200GB SSD, no, it's not. I'd say 200-300GB is the comfortable area.

i think it's a ripoff my man

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/HWrBbj

don't need a super expensive mobo or huge psu with a locked i5 and single gpu

the 6400 can be set to turbo on all cores to 3.3ghz via bios, won't need a cooler unless your room is hot as balls

980 ti is a lot cheaper than the 1070 and has equivalent performance when both cards are overclocked

the two extra fans are so you've got three total, so you can more effectively vent the hot air from your card out of the case

psu is small but well made, seasonic gb bronze with jap caps, ball bearing fan, and 5 yr warranty

wait till official reviews are out for the 1060. some leaked stuff shows that it should be slightly faster, but it'll also be more expensive. i think the $200 4gb 480 will be the better price/perf option of the two.

Thanks mate
>980 ti is a lot cheaper than the 1070 and has equivalent performance when both cards are overclocked

But everywhere I check, the Benchmark of 1070 is much better than 980ti, I would have prefer a MSI 1070 than founder.

here:

at stock speeds the 1070 beats the 980 ti handily, but the 980 ti has better overclocking headroom allowing it to catch up. the 1070 is also more power efficient and has 8gb vram vs 6gb on the 980 ti. overall i think the price premium on the 1070 over the 980 ti is kind of unjustified, but they're both good options and it's up to you.

my monitor is holding my build back, Sup Forums. does anyone have a recommendation in the $300 range?

forgot pic

Okay lets dissect that a bit.

>4770K
I don't know about those prices but I assume you can find a 4790K for about the same money

>H80i GT
Go for a H110iGT, if you plan on overclocking.

>Z97-A
This is alright.

>16GB of RAM
Falling for the meme, dudebro. I think those are XMP but if they aren't, you better change them

>120GB SSD
240. Thank me later. As for the HDD you could save a bit by buying red or even blue.

>295X2
Uhh... Are you using this computer for rendering? If you aren't, in this case you aren't getting more for your money

>Define S
Just get a normal Define R5.

>1000W PSU
You could get 750W 80+ Gold and it would be plenty enough. You don't need 1000W even with that GPU, nor will your PSU degrade any slower. You just do not have a good reason to buy it.

>W7
Well I suppose this really is for rendering/work

>60Hz screen
You're not too far from a 24" 144Hz, instead invest in that. 27" isn't really that much bigger, you don't notice the size difference unless you go to 30+" and 1440p. Trust me, been there.

>Gayman accessories
Not going to pitch in here.

Just got my build to work after a night of frustration and returning a faulty motherboard for a new one. Windows is taking a long time to boot. Its stuck on the logo screen with the spinning wheel. Been like this for about 4 minutes. Is this normal?

i'd look for a refurb/used dell s2716dg. 1440p 144hz grainy matte tn panel with gsync. not sure about used, but i've seen refurbs go for around $330-350. that's a little over your budget but it's a large step up over cheaper options, and a monitor is something that should last you a long ass time.

>overclocking
This is my first build ever, not much knowedge about OC, is it easy to fuck shit up? All I know is better cooling = better OC potential.

Overclocking isn't that difficult, you just need to be patient. You don't just pick some number and work down from there, you slowly increase the clock speeds and voltages until it starts to get unreliable. Naturally you will have to monitor temperatures while benching your rig. Just get yourself comfy with a guide which covers the basics or watch a youtube video.

Your shit will start to stall and crash before you cause any damage to your components. Usually the temperatures get out of hands after your rig has become too unstable to use.

That said, overclocking a GPU doesn't get you similar benefits than overclocking a CPU. You get some increase in performance, but there's way less headroom to increase the clock speeds. Keeping this in mind you should start slow and boost performance in small increments.

for graphics cards, no. it's easy, but can be time consuming depending on how much you want to get out of your card.

you basically download msi afterburner and a benchmark like unigine heaven, set the power target to the upper limit, and start adjusting core clock up slowly until you become unstable. you can leave it there, or you can increment the voltage upwards until you become stable again, and then keep upping core clock. once you can't get core higher, start adjusting memory.

higher clock speeds and especially higher voltages will result in increased power draw and temperatures, so you just want to make sure your temps don't get too high while you're doing all that. what temp that is depends on your card, and i'm not sure what it is for the 980 ti.

pcpartpicker.com/list/nBzw6X
Here's my build. Prices are what I purchased them for. Any suggestions? Graphics card is place holder when AiB come out

pcpartpicker.com/user/Demontous/saved/#view=Lw3nTW
debating on my video card..

^ignore
pcpartpicker.com/list/T49ZRG

Just
U
S
T

idk if this is the right thread, but do any of you have any monitor arm recommendations?
I have a 27 inch monitor and a 40 inch monitor coming in a couple weeks, and I'd like to be able to mount them in some way so I have desk room still.

Are you 15?

I wouldnt recomend 3 way crossfire my friend

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9zWTBP

My parts list so far,

>already have cpu, ssd, case
pic related, its the case

oops forgot the PSU on that list.

was thinking about an evga G2 model 750w or so
or some other decent rebrand PSU according to the list of psus

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€350 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler (€49.82 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€130.55 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€47.09 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€124.45 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€79.85 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ???
Case: BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€78.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€100 @ Amazon)

What do you think Sup Forums?
Should I go for a red or blue WD instead?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fR448K

There's my current list to add to my pc

Is the H110i GT worth it? It's only 5 degrees cooler than the H80i GT

pcpartpicker.com/user/AtrusHB/saved/PWhscf
Current build. SSD and other set of 2x4GB RAM sticks are in the mail. Thinking about swapping the R4 for a Corsair Air 540.

Would this be good enough for 1080p/1440p gaming for the next 2-3 years?

probably will get a firepro or quadro if necessary

r8

pcpartpicker.com/list/dyDWZ8

please respond.
Think I'm going to swap out the liquid cooler for a fan.

i'd just grab a dual tower air cooler like a phanteks tc14pe instead. it might not have that "whoadude" factor that a clc has, but it's considerably cheaper and quieter, only a couple degrees hotter, and less prone to failure due to only having one moving part.

pcpartpicker.com/list/2frLD8

I plan on getting a GPU after the benchmarks are solidified.

Why do you need another gtx 1080 for 1440p gaming?

Don't get the aircon case, Fractal Design cases are very good.

Red drives are good for storage and blues are the same as greens without intellipark from what I believe. Get 6700k for future proofing because intel won't be focusing on performance they'll be focusing on power consumption for the next few years.

Buy a RX 480 if you have a 1080p monitor and on a budget
Buy a 1070 if you have a 1080p monitor
Buy a 1080 if you have 1440p and bigger

Also buy 16gb of ram if you have the budget because 8gb is starting to become minimum for games.

Same applies for you.

Buy a RX 480 if you have a 1080p monitor and on a budget
Buy a 1070 if you have a 1080p monitor
Buy a 1080 if you have 1440p and bigger

Honestly mini-itx and mATX is the way to go these days. Full ATX is a waste of space unless you really need all of that space for your PC components.

Noctua D15 is good if you can handle the ugliness of it. I like the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3, it performs relatively the same and looks better. Buy SSD if you don't have one. Hitachi Deathstar idk i'd go for a WD blue or red desu.
Again going to shill mini-itx/mATX builds because they look better with it all crammed inside.

pcpartpicker.com/list/3c9r6X

Is this good for a first build? And before you ask about the power supply, I picked it in case I upgrade it in the future and so I don't spend extra money on another power supply. Also, I'm gonna use Windows 7 Pro since I have an actual product key.

What are you trying to do with this pc? gt 740 is a waste of money. Save the $ and use the iGPU until you can buy a proper GPU. With that budget i'd probably be looking at ebay or something for a used haswell/ivy bridge pc with a decent gpu in it.

Games, video editing, streaming. Might add a capture card in the future and possibly an SSD as well when they become more reliable. I also have a couple of parts that I'm gonna salvage from this PC.

>actually using gadgets

I'd honestly buy a used pc, you will get more out of your money if you were to buy new. You could always get an i3, 8gb of cheap ram, cheapest mobo, cheapest case etc and a gtx 1050 when it comes out, or rx 480 etc.

IMO better off buying used.

> (You)
OP here
I've got a 4K monitor
Scaling 1080p is ok with me, or even playing at 4K (with lowered settings and expecations is ok too)

I did want to go with a matx case but for the time being I still need an optical drive.
Couldnt find any matx cases in my budget that were not ugly as shit.

I did look at Craigslist and there's nothing of interest other than pre-builts and more expensive custom builds (some of which are at least 2 hours away). But thanks for suggestions, but I'm still thinking about buying those parts (well, maybe not the graphics card, but I'll pick a different one).

Corsair 350d is pretty nice. idk if they are still available.
4k monitor i'd go with a gtx 1080 and swap for the 6600k. idk what the price difference in Canada is for 6600k to 6700k but in Australia it's about a $150 difference. 1070 to 1080 is about $300-$500.

I think if you get rid of GPU and buy a nicer case, use stock cooler for now and 8gb of ram you should be able to work around it and get a better build. Also look for used GPUs on craigslist im sure there are gtx 780's for under $100 or a 960/970 etc, 7970, 280x, 290/x etc etc. have a look.

i am building skylake pc with intel i5 6600
which motherboard is good?

Case has already been ordered sorry mate
The 6700K i got for a great price, cheaper than a 6600

The 1080 is out of my price range, so for now I need to be content with scaling 1080p on a 4k monitor.

Any motherboard Because you won't need to overclock.

Oh right then 6700k. 1070 should play 4k at lowest of lows maybe medium. Buy it and give it a go. PC looks good as is.

cool

pcpartpicker.com/list/nWv7WX

The 480 is mostly to hold me over until higher performance cards aren't assrape expensive. Undecided on the monitor but I'd like to get one of those Dell 27" 5K displays eventually. Also not fully sold on the case but it's the only one I could find that's got decent air flow, filters, doesn't a window or lights all over the damn thing, and isn't totally ugly.

The reason I chose the case is because it looks a little like my current PC. But the only thing I don't like about it is the shape of the side window. The best GPU that I could find on Craigslist is a 2GB EVGA GTX 960 for $155, but it's in Helena.

Mini-ITX or mATX.

Sapphire RX 480 Nitro i hope.

Looks good otherwise

>Mini-ITX or mATX.
Why? I like the extra ports ATX gives me.

Dang, not him but I knew there was a reason I stuck with an ATX motherboard for my potential build. Didn't think of that, but makes a lot of sense.

What do you need them for? More than 2 way SLI/Crossfire is dead for gaming, Soundcard/PCI-E ssd only takes up 2 extra slots? mATX motherboards get what 4 or 5?

You're stupid for going ATX.

pcpartpicker.com/list/VWQxGf

Actual build I've been slowly buying the components for.

I said ports, not slots. That board has 8 USB-A ports, half of which are USB 3, and two USB-C/TB3 ports for future peripherals that can powerthemselves off the board.

I currently have a total of 6 USB things plugged into my laptop right now and it'd be great if I didn't have to use a flaky hub to do that.

pcpartpicker.com/list/bwGD2R

I'm building a pc for my dad. Any improvements to make Sup Forums?

Jesus lol. What do you use other than a keyboard/mouse?

Nah looks good. What would he do on it? browse internet and watch movies? It's probably better to go with the i3 6100 but idk up to you & depends what it's used for.

Kill me
pcpartpicker.com/list/JpwfHN

I'd get a better PSU. Take a look here, Better CPU cooler too if you got the budget.

>Jesus lol. What do you use other than a keyboard/mouse?
USB DAC+Amp (Fiio E10K), Wacom graphics tablet, external drives. I also need a powered USB port to do iOS dev + testing on my phone without it getting drained while I'm testing.

get a Pentium G3258 and a LGA1150 motherboard vs the Athlon and that board. It's a good overclocker and will provide a proper board if you upgrade to a better cpu in the future.

You are probably the one person that needs those all them USB ports. Go ATX then.

Looks good.

If you only want to install Windows on it, basically.

Bump. I was thinking of buying everything but gpu and using my gtx 660 for a few weeks until gpu prices come down and or gtx 1060 comes out/sapphire nitro etc etc.

What should my first upgrade be?

GPU obviously. Maybe 250gb ssd if you are really bothered. 1070 would good 1080 if you have the budget.

pcpartpicker.com/list/sYQzYr
is this build good?
i'm not too sure about the ram, headset and the cooling. should i get liquid cooling or is that just a meme?

What do you need 2 1080's for?

Ram speeds do not matter too much it's about capacity but 2133mhz is slow get like 2666mhz or 3000mhz.

BenQ 144hz monitors are the best out.

If you care about aesthetics don't buy notcua, buy cryorig or be quiet coolers, They perform within 1-2 degrees of eachother.

What in the fuck are you going to do with two founders edition 1080s? A single one will literally max out games in 4k or do VR.

Also get a better case and don't get liquid cooling

Why spend $1400 on graphics cards and get a 1080p monitor?

you guys get trolled easily.
Who spends 3.5K on random build and comes here for advice ?

Where do I get a Windows loader? I tried to get daz loader but all i got was a bunch of ads. Where is the original download?

pcpartpicker.com/list/yYpyf8
im going to try virtualization server meme
is this okay?

pcpartpicker.com/list/88NHhq

My entire build, minus the monitor since I can't find it anywhere. I got almost everything used, and it's pretty solid for the price.

just buy a real copy of windows you poorfag degenerate

Here.

If I get a H110i GT, will it fit with the 295x2 radiator in front?

Not sure how I would set up the fans for this.

Get it from tpb or kat.