Windows 10

Can someone give their honest opinion on Windows 10?

shit

garbage

trash

it looks alright but i'm afraid of using it at home.

Ok if you have to use it for work, if you can though I would avoid it like the plague

i like ... better than 8 or 8.1

I didn't particularly enjoy using it since Microsoft felt the need to shove everything into the start menu and the stock applications are pretty awful.

pure crap
useless piece of shit

Its honestly not bad and way easier to use than windows 8 which is pure garbage but its just a improved windows 7 with shit cortana and if you customize settings right to your liking it wouldnt look like garbage

It's basically just an improved and better looking 7

Basically all the positive memes aren't true. There is no wonderous gaming performance gain, nothing opens faster or works better because of windows 10.
In fact, to do basic shit like searching your own fucking system, you now have to use a bloated piece of shit that is COMPLETELY SEPARATE from the main start menu. What used to take you 4 seconds in windows 7 to find, now takes minutes in windows 10, and that's if it fucking finds it. The algorithms are so fucked it will literally find everything but the fucking program you were looking for.
On top of that, you now have to go through a bunch of pathetic settings to disable shit you never were going to use, and never will use. Oh, and don't expect to do this all within one simple menu, you have to switch between their retarded tablet-style system settings and the legacy system settings because it's a Beta OS™
Then there's the driver issues. With win10, microsoft LOVES pushing their shitty fucking device installation on you, even with it turned off. Makes it easy for inbreds who will never ever think to visit nvidia/amd/intel/etc's site and download drivers, but a pain in the fucking ass for people who know wtf they're doing. YOU WILL have system fuck ups. You WILL rationalize them because you're trying to justify Windows 10.

I'm not even getting into the shit everyone has talked about like how they'll load a bunch of win 10 store apps on your system by default, put ads on the start menu, show ads on lockscreen if not disabled, etc.

Overall, if you HAVE to use it at work or some shit, you can deal. Otherwise, no need to switch away from 7. And if you're using 8/8.1, stop being a retard and go back to 7, we all know you're missing the good shit.

Verdict: windows 10 needs another 5 years in testing before it should have been released. Anyone stating opposite shouldn't even be on Sup Forums in general 2bqhwyf

>What used to take you 4 seconds in windows 7 to find, now takes minutes in windows 10, and that's if it fucking finds it.
This

Start, type in "calc", wait 10 seconds.... then it finds it, you click on it/press enter, wait another 20 until it opens...

On Win7 this stuff worked INSTANTLY

I just went from win7 to win10.

Feels a bit snappier
It's a more natural upgrade than Win8's metro shit on by default
Start menu with tiles is a bit wanky
They call applications apps... and the start menu is less practical
Settings menu are a terrible style but no worse than win7 for trying to navigate to anything useful beyond the easy mode interface for plebs.
Window snapping can now be done in any corner instead of just split screen horizontally and when you do one window it will let you select another window to fit in beside it. I really like this as its a feature I use a lot.
Can now put taskbars on other extended monitors and not just the main and assign applications to show only in the taskbar associated to that window so its a bit less cluttered.

Generally positive results so far even if it messes with layouts I've been used to in win7 for so long.

It's good if you don't mind LITERALLY being part of a botnet.

Performance is good, UI is decent, new features (not including Cortana, or as I've started calling it, NSA+Cortana) are nice.

>click on a folder on a drive that isn't my main
>wait half a minute for the contents to load

You need dx12 for gayming? No? Then stay the fuck away from it

Just tried that, took less than a second and most of that was typing "calc"

>x99 powahhh

In 7, things literally just work. Search is in a convenient place, and it actually does find shit I want it to find.
win10 is an abortion, even micro employees admit so much shit should have been opt-in and not opt-out, but alas people will try to rationalize their choices

I like it. Faster than 7, and it isn't 8.

It just works.

It's ok I saw an increase in performance on the same hardware up from win7. I'm not autistic so I don't have to complain about the privacy tracking and bs like that. Also, if you just make a competent hosts file it stops most of the traffic into a local loopback to 0.0.0.0

It's okay, there is a lot of wasted space because of the size of the Windows.

Very inconsistent with the coloring, and there are so many inconsistencies with configuration. You can tell that they just slogged this shit on top of terrible legacy code.

Block as much telementary as you can, but know that you can't completely escape it.

Garbage, broken, buggy piece of shit
Free for a reason, 10x more money to be made selling the data they harvest than selling the OS
For tech illiterate turds
Slowest performance on benchmarks compared to 7 and 8.1

>literally making up bullshit
ok kid

Win10 cuck mad because he fell for that "It's not that bad meme"

Stay cucked and fuck off to reddit pls with the rest of the "I'm the techy guy in the group" kids

It's not bad at all. Stay mad. :^)

nice one dude u showed him haha!

>Post yfw Microsoft says Windows 10 will be the last one

But it will. Deal with it.

can you even remote desktop using other 3rd party software on wibdiws 10 home? Will DX12 become relevant for the next few years or most devs will be lazy and stay at dx11?

Better than other versions of windows.

Obviously infinitely superior to any linux distribution.

But it is. I did a fresh install on two laptops and on both it shits itself when you right click in the file manager you have to restart it most of the time to get it to work again

>things that never happened

I want to upgrade to 10 because Killer Instinct interests me (played it on the bone), but my win 7 isn't exactly legit so i'm worried about using the upgrader.

True
Tried it so many times to see if it had got better
Every time either straight away or after a month it would be an issue with WiFi, accessing the hard drive, programs wouldn't load on most boots - would have to restart often to get things to work proper, and at the end of one of the times my shutdown button and restart button actually did nothing :^)
Mfw

tried it , calc open in a second..
and the system is not idle,, it has chrome with lots of tabs, edge i don't know why,, and most of all Android Studio is also active... so get your shit straight..

PS not defending win 10 though.

It's an industry standard and it's absolute dog shit at the same time.

This proves it, I've heard so many people say what he said and so many say what you've said
Why the fuck would it be so fickle, easily proof of spaghetti code

Google it lots of people with that problem.

humans are fickle, windows are doing social engineering with humans.. with there spaghetti code

windows 10 botnet user here.

i received windows 10 education from my cs departments elms account almost a year ago. its virtually a clone of 10 enterprise but under a different pricing structure. so i can natively turn off the controversial botnet shit like telemetry and control over updates.

nice upgrade from 7. very snappy and uses slightly less resources. its been pretty stable. about the same as 7 was from my experience.

only gripe i had was the shear amount of bloat it ships with by default. for enterprise / education some shit it comes with boggles my mind. maps? skype? groove music? movies & tv? wut? all can easily be removed though.

overall i like it.

Go on upgrade it, if you didn't like it.. you can always roll back

I want to just like i said, my win 7 is activated, not technically legit and i don't want to get v&, will it be fine or not?

Exactly what I'm trying to say

> new features are nice.
Can you be more specific about those? Not counting yet useless DX12.

I am very conflicted about it. Been using it for half a year and it's still very unstable. Then there is the whole cloud cancer pushing itself on you and the inconsistent UI ... but on the other side, what are the alternatives? Outdated 7 that looks like shit?

You will be fine mate. I have upgraded windows 10 from activated as well as not genuine copy(required a lot of fixes).
and both works fine..

Alright then i just don't want the pigs to kick my door in, Do you have to log in with an email like you did with 8.1 or can you do the old unplug the ethernet to make a standard windows login?

Just back up a system image of your hdd and then upgrade if it doesnt work then wipe and reload your win 7 image.

You doing official upgrade or from an image?

I use it over Linux because it's got my electrical engineering CAD and simulation software. I'd probably use Linux otherwise.

While I don't think W10 is bad, I don't care much for OS features and so it feels more bloated than W7. However, some of the stuff (bash) coming out in the anniversary update will be very nice.

There are themes for win7 you can use to make it more modern

Which linux distros do you use?

Official upgrade, from the website, as i'm going to want to use the Xbox part of win10.

Themes make your system slow as hell, one should always try to avoid them

Go ahead a login will be required (like in windows 8) at the completion of installation..

>tfw I've never used a linux distro as my primary
I'd probably try out arch, and if it got too frustrating for me i'd just go debian

is for idiots with babby duck syndrome.

This.

Besides, they won't fix the 10 year old shit underneath.

Are you aware that Aero is a theme too that is on by default?

It's good for those who refuse to engage and have any interest in technology and just want to play video games or look at Facebook

its lit, still prefer linux

>asking for Sup Forums's honest opinion
>any year

ISHYGDDT

Not really. I don't want to engage with my OS but W10 forces me to do it all the time because it's a fucking mess.

Only OSX "just works" and maybe Ubuntu if you ignore the lack of software.

Installed it first time today. Seems okay.

I have a shitload of compatability issues. But I waited longer than 30 days to come to that conclusion so I'm stuck until I can be bothered to install Windows 7 from scratch

Chrome keeps going unresponsive for 10-20 seconds. Has anyone else experienced this? I never had it on windows 7 and its really fucking annoying.

No, but today my integrated graphics drivers kept failing when i press start menu. Then pc restarted itself without asking me for permission and fixed itself. SPooky

it uninstalled my graphics drivers in an update a couple of days ago...

>Chrome keeps going unresponsive for 10-20 seconds.
u have shit board, m8

time to upgrade that fx-4130 and 4gb of ram.

Ehh my birds fine and I've got 10 gigs of ram. The problem I'd windblows

sure OP.

HyperV management support for HyperV server 2012 is nice, which both Win8.1 and 10 do. 2016 hyperV will be supported in 10 where it will not be in win8.1. Win7 cannot support either.

ODBC's to avoid flat-filing admin logins are supported in both 32/64 viewing without delving into the C:\windows and searching for odbcad32.exe like in win7. These can be readily found.

Other than that the features found in windows 10 are so bloated. I had to shut off at least 6 metrics services, delete 13 scheduled tasks, and remove a handbasket of hotfixes to have my mother's own laptop not spend half it's waking hours sending metrics to MSoft that the laptop is not in fucking use (see UEFI always on mode). IE-edge which is required in terms of TLS 1.3+ settings will not be released for windows 7.

Relative to your thread OP, I have found trouble in out-of-box linux and documentation being few and far apart for linux. Linux works great out of box for desktops but not for the vendor specific laptops. The bazaar vs the cathedral seems to be equally tied out where linux requires too much time for my needs and windows requires too much debloating.

Windows 7, pirated, seems to be the only right option here. The thing works very well out of box, and is very bread and butter. I even bought my licenses to the pirated copy to meet my own standards of decency. But this way you are forced to not update, to work on an already stable operating system. Windows 10 is not the next messiah. Stay cozy.

For those of you who say gentoo, I applaud you. I believe that Gentoo is the best theocracy for developing and contributing to operating systems...in an ideal world. Where instead we are filled in a world filled with so much chaos, the only way to obtain the best software is to pay for the service, and receive it. In today's day and age of bitching users, it is the only maxim that holds true.

I installed it yesterday on my new ssd.

Works okay, lots of initial configuring but not more so than any other windows since xp.

Only thing that's pissed me off so far is two different network adapters can't use separate dns.
So, if you use a recent openvpn without setting "block-outside-dns" you will get a leak no matter what group policy you change.

>so i can natively turn off the controversial botnet shit like telemetry and control over updates.

Not this shit again

It has DX12 which is nice if you're developing with DX12. So that's a thing.

it's alright

clunky, needs another 3 years to mature, just like vista before the service packs

Okay, heres an HONEST opinion for you, OP
Ive used Ubuntu, Arch, and almost all Windows versions so far.

Advantages of 10 over other windows operating systems:
>more than one workspace
>faster

And thats pretty much it. Now lets look at the disadvantages:
>lots of (but very limited) customisation needed before usable for a power user
>A LOT of bloatware even on official iso and clean install
>lazy OS (didnt remove IE for example)
>Ads
>maximum botnet
>shitty features that you dont need and cant be removed (Cortana, Metro etc.)
>new control pannel is shit
>loss of a lot of options over Windows 7

Advantages over Linux:
>utilized hardware best when playing games
>less customisation needed for it to werk

Disatvantages over Linux:
>literally everything besides games and configuration

Tl;dr: its shit. There is NO reason to switch from 8.1 or 7. If you are using Linux, stick with it.