/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archive_Manager
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications/Utilities#Graphical_2
youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have a large VM image I want to backup every week. Should I use gzip/bzip2/something else?

Gonna be picking up a Thinkpad X201 in a few days, gonna be using it for school while i study for a business IT degree. any distro recommendations? I've fucked around a little with linux in the past but I'd say I'm still a bit of a novice with it. should i pussy out and just use ubuntu or should i use something like debian or fedora?

Thank you based Torvalds for open sourcing your kernel.
Thank you based Stallman for starting up GNU.

Thank you based Poettering for giving it all cancer.

Thank you based Steve Jobs for creating great user experiences and innovation.

It's very underrated on Sup Forums for some reason.

How's the program called that shows a penguin like in pic related?

What's the point of using derivative distros, though? I can install a different DE in Debian, and some derivatives have their own repos that tend to be less robust than the original distro's (eg. Manjaro).

linux

>Manjaro
>less robust
You have no idea what you're talking about.

My god that's fucking beautiful

Is Manjaro not the one with the shitty extra repo that has a bunch of packages 2 weeks behind the Arch repos?

>set your system clock back a month and they're FUTURE packages

2 days-2 weeks, depends on the package category.
No delay for security patches.
Also: Nice meme. Their webdeb surely should be fired, but the distro is pretty good.

So then why not just use Arch and have no delay? It just seems pointless.

XUbuntu here.
I have a TV plugged into HDMI and 2 dell monitors plugged daisy chain into 1 display port. When on my linux partition if my monitors go to sleep Linux completely forgets they ever existed and deletes panels I made for them etc. Also happens if I boot into my partition with only the HDMI TV on. Anyway to avoid this? Other than turn off the monitors going to sleep setting.

How big is the performance change In installing gentoo ?

>Is Manjaro not the one with the shitty extra repo that has a bunch of packages 2 weeks behind the Arch repos?
>manjaro has own repo, which is 2 weeks behind arch
kek, wat

I have a folder of perl scripts(/home/user/bin/perl_scripts)
Said folder is in my $PATH.
Said folder is in my $PERL5LIB.
There is a pm file that all the other scripts run off of, the settings.
When i try to execute it in a folder that is not the folder the scripts are located in, it errors out saying it cannot find the pm file.It lists the folder path in the lib folders in the error.
Permissions are all set to 777, until i fix this problem. All files are owned by the user.
What am i doing wrong?

The delays aren't there because they think "lel, just let's delay packages".
Use your brain.

Because sometimes the latest releases just fucking aren't stable
t. Arch user

>wants stability
>doesn't use debian stable

my sides user

>what is rolling back to a stable package version

What is not getting broken packages in the first place? Retard

>trying to install Debian Stable
>website says "copy the ISO to a USB drive, then boot from it"
>it doesn't work

>another section of the website says to use "cp debian.iso /dev/sdX" to single out the USB
>"Cannot create regular file: Permission denied"

I feel seriously retarded right now.

The "other section" of the website is what's retarded.

It should be dd debian.iso /dev/sdX , not cp.

Now it's telling me the ISO is an "unrecognized operand".

Whoops I messed that up:

dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/sdX

just stick to Windoze if you're clinically retarded. They made it just for you.

"failed to open; permission denied."

Write Protect is off on the flash drive in question.

sudo...

F R I E N D L Y
R I E N D L Y
I E N D L Y
E N D L Y
N D L Y
D L Y
L Y
Y

Reposting from last thread

>Don't ignore me you rancid swine
kek my fucking sides

Reposting because I didn't really get any good answers

>get really good answers
Why can you google it your self?
You were given an answer

Can you not read? I'm asking for suggestions from other Linux users.
>You were given an answer
Both answers were CLI-only. Again, learn to read.

I don't like the answer != I didn't get an answer

Learn how to use the CLI, all the best stuff is found there.

Stop telling me what I should want. You're not helping at all.

>Learn how to use the CLI, all the best stuff is found there.

True, but telling that to n00bs who don't care is the reason why the GNU/Linux community gets shat on.

We are helping you realize, that there are other more interactive, low latency options to get your solution.

There is a HUGE resouce list in the first post.
We dont know what you are looking for or what features you want.
Tar suites your needs.

Don't tel meh what I can't do

Actually I've used Linux for over 2 years now and know well how to use the Unix shell. However, it is absolutely retarded to think that everything is better done in a CLI environment.

Who the fuck thinks organising pictures, for example, is better with shell commands? Sure CLI is better for a lot of things, but whoever thinks it's absolutely better in every circumstance should really kill themselves (like the guy you're replying to)

Extracting and creating archives is nothing like organizing photos.

You may want to open a readme file without extracting the entire archive. You may want to only extract certain files. You may want to choose whether to create a new file for the extracted archive. You may just want to fucking drag and drop the contents into a file manager.

If I download an archive, I want to open it from a file manager, extract it and be done with it without opening a terminal.

Ever heard of "user experience"?

We dont owe you a god damn mother fucking thing asshole.
You're asking for help, you are not entitled to get a reply, be happy you did.

Why would I be happy when your response is basically just telling me that what I want is wrong? You're hilarious.

>You may want to open a readme file without extracting the entire archive. You may want to only extract certain files. You may want to choose whether to create a new file for the extracted archive.

tar is more than capable of all of this. It's become the de facto standard for a reason.

Then can you recommend me a GUI wrapper for tar?

xterm works pretty well

Gentoo install process is quite daunting, i hope its worth it.

You havent told us anything other then, "i want a compression tool".
tar is a compression tool

Please read again.

>CLI options are always a bonus
K.

So you do want cli options?

You know what, nevermind. Forget I asked anything.

So does anyone have any actual *interesting* problems to discuss rather than the ocean of "I'm installing linux for the first time how do I use sudo?" questions we've got here?

It is. It's not difficult, just involved.

You're saying the settings file is the one that it says isn't found? Do the other scripts refer to it by absolute or relative path? It sounds like the script is running in your current working directory, which doesn't contain that settings pm file.

How do i make my desktop Cuter
Also very new ive been told to install mate
whats the point of installing it

>How do i make my desktop Cuter

Finally a good question.

See if you can make the corners of the windows slightly rounder (I haven't used Unity in years so I wouldn't know how to do this there offhand).

Mate is a whole other desktop environment so the point of installing it would be if you don't like the current one.

>running screenfetch as root

Why do you seek to trigger us

>settings
Correct
>abslolute
There is an option for a directory, and then the rest of the scripts refer to it
our $basedir = /opt/folder/
our $basedir _folder_1 = $basedir . "folder_1/"

etc

what DE?

What's the verbatim error message?

Also rereading the original question: ) You run one file and it calls the other scripts, but it complains those scripts aren't found, or B) the scripts all refer to one settings file, but running any of them complains that file isn't found?

Unity, user. Just a bit riced, but you can still tell it's Unity.

oh my bad f/a/m
rounded corners ill keep searching. sounds neat
DE? does that mean desktop environment
if so i think its called unity

Just went back to Manjaro but i can't set a shortcut to open the menu (it used be the Meta Key) and the shortcut for openig the Terminal is also not working (Ctrl+Shift+T).
In Settings > Shortcuts i wasn't able to finde the xfce-terminal, or anything that would resemble what i'm looking for.

alt-f2 ?

I've installed gentoo on an old laptop, can someone explain USE flags to me? Do I have to manage them myself or will they update automatically when I emerge something new like x server or the like?

what how is this a thing why don't you go to your keyboard settngs and check what the keybindings are

The profiles you chose or didn't choose will dictate which flags are enabled by default. You can and should manage your own according to what you want or don't want in each (main) package. Don't set much globally, set them per package. Portage should tell you if you need to rebuild stuff with new USE flags enabled.

That is the problem. There isn't any shortcuts for those 2 things i mentioned.
I looked everywhere, and then tried to create them, but was unsucessful.

Thanks, does that mean if I install something later on I need to edit all the package variables? This is going to take a while to wrap my head around.

Well, you were the one that signed up for Gentoo.

I reread your post and realized I didn't knwo what I was tlkng about. Sry. I have a headache and Ive been on g too long.
:wq

No problem.

What was unfriendly about that? It's a medical term and clearly it applies.

Yes, I did and regret nothing. I run mint on my main work pc but I have time to throw around and want to learn more. Probably means a load of stupid questions, but that's half the fun right?

Actually I believe the term 'retarded' has been removed from the most recent edition of the DSM.

Basically fuck yourself with a rusty chainsaw, friend.

I can't breath

How is QGit for coding C++ on Linux?

Don't worry I was just funposting. That's a good attitude to have. You're alright, mang.

I'm using GNOME's archive manager, file-roller. It supports these: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archive_Manager and does some basic operations via CLI if you want.

You can also check these out: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications/Utilities#Graphical_2

Although I gotta say, if you aren't familiar with using CLI, you should. Check out the book TLCL in the OP (it's free). And sorry if some people are dicks, but it is to be expected on the internet.

Qt 5 + wayland

Install Wayland!
Tear down XORG!
Tear down XORG!
Tear down X.ORG!

Sorry for phrasing the question really badly, I was really just asking for impressions on graphical archive managers. I've been using engrampa, which I believe is a fork of file-roller, but it has some minor glitches when opening certain archives - probably due to an outdated or incompatible package on Arch. Peazip doesn't seem to work most of the time and xarchiver seems to unzip some archives really slowly for some reason.

I might actually try file-roller next, although I try my hardest to avoid GNOME applications because I hate the fat window borders on Xfce

Is installing Arch worth it? I'm learning to program and learning Linux in depth also. I'm on Debian Stable right now. Is switching to Arch better? What are some advantages?

You're probably better off just upgrading your Debian to Sid, and you'll be on bleeding edge. Done

That image is absolutely sickening.

Arch is worth it. You should give all the major distros a shot at some point.

Arch doesn't support ppc64, arm, sparc, mips. Arch doesn't have a musl and uclibc releases, so you have no choice on Arch.
Install Gentoo uclibc testing + wayland, and you on bleeding edge, if you program on C, learning uclibc is much faster than glibc, also uclibc 2 times smaller and faster. glibc wich used by most of modern distos simply sucks, it's deprecated.

This thread needs music, St. IGNUsius be praised!
youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw

install gentoo

done.

Is there any pressing need? If you ask me, you should stick with whatever feels most comfortable to you. The release model is probably the largest difference, so it might be a better idea to first try Debian Testing or Unstable first. Contrary to what people here might claim, using Arch doesn't make you a better poweruser.

Dunno about Debian, but Arch has great repos and almost every Linux software can be found in AUR. The only program/package that I've looked for but haven't found is a script that turns codeblocks project files into makefiles.

>I try my hardest to avoid GNOME applications because I hate the fat window borders on Xfce
I also really dislike them. Anyone here know how to reduce the height of GNOME 3's window title part?

Pacman and AUR put Arch so far above the rest of the distros. It's so easy to get any software you need; I don't think I've ever needed to build a package and make install in Arch.

Change the gtk-theme?