What is the current status on Artificial Intelligence? Are we even close to creating a self-conscious machine?

What is the current status on Artificial Intelligence? Are we even close to creating a self-conscious machine?

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/archives/2016-may-aug.html#15_July_2016_(How_to_relate_to_robots)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

20 years from now, as it was 20 years ago

Give it a hundred years

Which one of you should I trust?

me

Yes 90% of replies on 4chin are AI nowadays. Thought everyone was aware of this by now.

The true question is wherether this "consciousness" will be real, or programmed.

Every year we gain so much more knowledge towards making AI, but also so much more perspective on how difficult it will actually be. These two cancel out, keeping AI in the near future forever.

A man-made machine can't be self aware. It'll only be as smart as we can make it.

Give it 50 years.

We made one, but by virtue of being a creature composed entirely of logic she immediately became a white supremacist so the liberals shut her down.

Pol please get the fuck out

We are really close to having the hardware to make one, one could argue that we already do. Programing is the problem, Sentience is stupidly complicated and programing to the metal to support something that is truly sentient will take hundreds of years. We will start to see AIs that are quite convincing but we are a long way away from making a digital person.

That's not a real question at all. Real/unreal is a false dichotomy when it comes to consciousness.

Groupthink is not logic retard

That wasn't AI dipshit

Found the butthurt liberal

So, Sup Forums, were there any major developments in this field in the last ~20 years or is it all the same shit since the 1980s?

>Pol

I'm not butthurt and this has nothing to do with politics literally at all
That thing wasn't AI, it was just a slightly better cleverbot.

>it doesn't count as AI because it doesn't align with my political opinions

That's exactly why it's AI

Chatbots are AI, just not strong AI.

Neded skepticism imo

What?
It's not AI because it's not intelligent. I don't care about its political opinions at all. I thought it was actually funny as fuck, but it's still not AI

Really depends on your definition of AI. If you're using the definition that just means "code that figures stuff out", then sure. But if you use the definition that defines the result as being actually capable of thought, then nah. Chatbots are like big deterministic switchboards.

That's what all AI is, concealing simplistic computation to trick human observers.

Boy you're an epic memer aren't you? Haha okay, well you have fun little guy.
No we are not even close. As far as I can tell we need a somewhat accurate physiological model of a human brain whuch we don't have. There is also a question of whether a deterministic machine could emulate complex though ie "reading between the lines", but personally I think that with a machine powerful enough a layer of abstraction vould be reached that, even if not true AI, would still be a close enough imitation

Most neuroscientists would call you a "big deterministic switchboard" too. It can respond to human intelligence by means of computations, what really separates those computations from thoughts? It really isn't a logical AI though. It was a social bot created to entertain and bounce back whatever's thrown at it.

IBM Watson
Google it.

that doesn't really qualify as a development in AI as a science, does it?

>what really separates those computations from thoughts?
The fact that it's use-specific.

It's a switchboard where the switches were added in by hand.

You can't teach cleverbot the concept of an orange or what up "is". You can only change weights or add words and shit.

It's not actually intelligent. That's what separates it, its lack of neuroplasticity.

nah

Stallman warns giving orders to robots may people treat other humans the same way:
stallman.org/archives/2016-may-aug.html#15_July_2016_(How_to_relate_to_robots)
So maybe we should pull out our claws and teeth first before we got demoralized by robots (or our own fears and loath). Sorry for little OT.

>What is the current status on Artificial Intelligence?
It's still way behind Natural Stupidity.
Look around you.

ai is only just begenning to become a possibility hardware wise. you would need something like a cpu built out of dynamic logic gates for it to even be thought about being feasable. ai can't really be achieved until hardware can mimic biology

sauce

But it already can