Will integrated graphics ever be usable for gaming?

Will integrated graphics ever be usable for gaming?

The premise of low memory transfer overhead for using the same system RAM and being on the same chip as the CPU just seems so much promise on paper.

Iris is already capable of gaming modern titles at 1080p 30 FPS. AMD APUs have made a lot of progress as well, and aren't nearly expensive.

Will they ever replace dedicated GPUs? Doubt it.

I can run games on my 15 year old iGP just fine

Fuck u play on that? Tetris at 20 frames?

Yes. But not the "AAA" trash moneygrab scam gaymes but you don't play those, right?

There's barely a difference whether or not the GPU is on the chip and using system RAM is probably the biggest bottleneck it has. System RAM is slow as fuck compared to actual GPU RAM.

>System RAM is slow as fuck compared to actual GPU RAM.
Yes, if you are trying to do iGPU with 1600 MHZ DDR3 you're gonna have a bad time.

I pley geimus from time to time on my 6700K's iGPU. Last thing I played was Overwatch at 1080p; ~50FPS on medium/low settings.
I'd say we're getting close, but discrete GPUs for geimus won't die for a long time.

If you run 720p maybe

I've seen people playing the new DOOM on fucking Vulkan using Iris Pro graphics, pretty decent settings and fps so yeah, you can game with integrated graphics just fine.

About the most graphical intensive game I play is source based stuff, so the iGPU in my skylake runs it fun. I don't see myself being able to play the latest and greatest titles though.

Unreal tournament and other good games.

MY HD 530 Plays overwatch on medium at 30-40 fps. Pretty comfy senpai

> didn't mention it runs at 800x600

900p actually, windowed only due to single monitor setup.

Meant to click

AMD APU's are already better than XBone and Piss4

intel a shit

>mfw i have DC 1600 MHz DDR3 memory
even if they are in dual channel performance is still bad.

>AMD APU's are runningg XBones and Piss4's
FTFY

The top desktop variants are more powerful than the consoles.

which CPUs have Iris?

The ones which are used with a real gpu anyway

Mostly Apple MBPs or gaming laptops.