2017, year of the linux desktop

2017, year of the linux desktop

Did you hear chromebook sales passed mac sales?

chromebooks are dumb they dont even have regular linux

This isn't what anyone wanted though.

dat crouton though.

Every year is the year if Linux, fuck off with your memes

A Macbook is more than just the hardware. I bought a Macbook because I love the aesthetic design. The engineering effort that goes into an Apple product is amazing, and people ignore it because it uses consumer hardware you could find in other computers. It's insane and it's ignorant.

Using OSX is part of the complete package. A beautifully designed aluminum Macbook with an esquisite operating system, that's Unix-based (and I can develop HAPPILY on) and with a UI that was made with time and care. This wasn't a rushed product made by developers contributing to some FOSS project.

That's how I feel. Take it or leave it. As for price.... Apple has an entire team for just making it look pretty. There's a lot of money that comes from the extra effort they do in this part. If you can afford a Macbook, buy it. If not, then don't. But to judge others for spending a little more on a Macbook rather than a lot less on a plastic Thinkpad that they can put Windows or Linux on is not cool. If that's what you want, then you can have it. I like Thinkpads. But I sure as hell wouldn't judge someone for buying a Macbook.

To be frank, this is the only way it will happen.

I'd rather linux be destroyed than let google have its way with it.

iknorite

chromebook flip is looking pretty nice

>entire team for taking a laptop and covering it in beveled aluminum instead of cheap plastic

What innovators.

Is this the new desktop thread

You're already too late. It's not like every other distro will go extinct or whatever though.

It's linux

thank you Rajeesh 45 rupees has been inserted into your apple account.

>Year of the Linux desktop
>Proprietary chromebook botnet trash

The sad thing is this is the only real way Linux will gain decent marketshare

>thin
>aluminum
>just werks

chromebooks r thin
alinmunim
just work

>Apple. 1.75 million macs sold times a minimum of $1000 a computer equals $1,760.000,000
>No specific company. Lets be generous and say 3 million chromebooks were sold with an average price of $250. thats $750,000,000.

apple still wins and chromebooks are still pieces of shit.

no

1337, year of the arch linux desktop

So Apple and Google managed to manufacture computers for literally zero dollars? Impressive.

Your perception of chromebooks is altered by the perception of how others view your perception of how they perceive chromebooks.

>chrome
:^)

Too bad Chrome OS is just a glorified web browser, but yes, Chromebooks are a great way to use linux without thinking about it.

were is the original quote?

So is Chrome OS GNU/Linux, or is it just using the Linux kernel like android?

It's using a linux kernel like android and you can install gnu/linux on it.

Piss off.

Google is one of the biggest contributors to the Linux kernel, and they actively support free software, with both money and code.

You need to separate their business decisions in the search and advertising sphere from the business decisions they make in other spheres, because it's a huge organisation with hugely divergent interests and goals.

Either that, or you could just disassociate yourself with every technology firm in the top 500 largest corporations, because I guarantee you every single one of them has done questionable shit, because surveillance cameras and facial recognition, CPUs/microcontrollers in bombs and drones, and meta-data/call logging/phone tracking devices don't just grow on trees.

But because these activities only impact you indirectly, you don't worry about it. Google and Facebook on the other hand are big and obvious, because it impacts people directly. You can't really not know about it, so that's the stuff you care about.

If the paradigm shifts that chromebooks are simpler computers than macs, and cheaper too, for a very similar looking aluminum design, then the perception of people will change. But it will be closer to android how there are some really high end name brand devices like the chromebook pixel, and more affordable versions such as the chromebook flip. This could be a deadly blow for macs and the BSD like systems. It would be a paradise for Linux as it is possible that if chromebooks were more desirable than macs that chromebook sales would topple pc sales and then it would be hte year of the linux desktop.

It's based on Gentoo.
GNU/linux

You served me terrible pasta. I demand a refund.

>free software

Is a meme.

The reason Google allows Chrome to be "free software" is because you only use it to interact with all their non free botnets.

isn't chromos an OS locked where you can't do anything ?
Do you have a package manager ? can you modify the DE ? can you install any linux software (like gparted, vim, icecat...) ?

I just open up ssh and then use emacs.

>isn't chromos an OS locked where you can't do anything ?

it's free software though