/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

halioswatches.com
amazon.co.uk/Accurist-Quartz-Chronograph-Display-Leather/dp/B00CSMPNBO/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YA596SE623M4E18SB4ZV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for no trips

I like square watches. Should I bother with a midrange one or save for a Reverso/Tank?

Lovely!

I'm incredibly close to dropping $269 USD on pic related. Long Island Watch is out of stock though, can anyone recommend another place to buy?

(need online as not many brick & mortars around me here in Australia)

Seiko has something similar in the SARG/SARB lineup if you search

>Weiss Watch Company
>"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""American Watchmaking"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>Couldn't even machine the "Swiss" off the ETA barrel bridge in his promo vid

Does /wt/ think a real American made watch will ever be created?

>shinola detroit
>$550
>quartz

Jesus Burgerland get it together

To my mind sinn 356 pilot is best chronograph i could buy atm, i guess i will do it once i get my payment. It isn't to big, is automatic, doesn't look to flashy. What do you guys think?

I do not think there will ever be an affordable fully made in the USA watch again. Luxury makers like Devon, Keaton Myrick, and RGM are getting close and I think will eventually get there.

It's not a bad choice at all. You might also want to consider Damasko.

Go for it. It's the favorite and most worn of my collection by far. Perfect balance of wrist presence, subtlety, and function.

WRUW today /wt/?

why is this the meme of the week? What about the Combat Sub or something?

>be the user with the blue Ministry Amphibia
>guy comes in to have crystal polished
>watch is actually pic
>shoot the shit about how cool blue Amphibias are
>wants to buy my factory dotted bezel now since I don't need it anymore
Literally first time I've ever seen anyone else irl with an Amphibia. Still I couldn't help take a good look at him, whether the watch makes the wearer look like an autistic nerd.

It's not a meme, it's what I'm wearing.

I do wish they made a no date version. The dial would look much better.

I just meant in terms of it coming up in the last several threads, whether it was just you or a number of people talking about it I don't know.

I agree, the only thing worse than a 4 o'clock date is a framed 4 o/clock date

QUICK WRIST WATCH CHECK. Wtf is Will Farrell wearing in this movie?

Has anyone ever returned a nato? I want to but I would feel like a dick since I've already worn it for two days.

Any place I've seen doesn't allow returns of worn straps. Also why would you want to return it?

what's the point of all the useless shit added in the right picture? is it just to make it look interesting? lmao...

What would be useless?

Any recommendations for a field watch under ~$300USD?

You might be able to get a Hamilton or Marathon around that price.

SNZG15

Cute praying mantis.
Wearing my mvmt today but I've taken it off, deciding on my watch for tomorrow

Those are the bridges ... nevermind you obviously have no clue

I'm not sure why the date window isn't round, it would match the other indices better then.

Had this waiting for me when I got home

It was on sale recently, so that could be why

Awesome, what do you think of it? What is it like on the rubber strap?

See
Is beginning to become the new meme watch

Perfect size
I have small wrists so it's big enough to look good but not so big it overhangs my wrists

The rubber strap is ok, but it makes the watch sit quite high on my wrist because they're small wrists. I'm thinking after a while the rubber will become more pliable and it will sit on my wrist better. If it doesn't I'll replace it with a NATO or leather strap

It's super comfy on a nato strap, I recommend trying one out.

I was thinking NATO or Perlon
I'll try to break in the rubber one, and hen move on to a NATO or Perlon

What's the general reputation or thoughts on this company and their watches?

halioswatches.com

Anyone have experience with them?

>chinese

Pretty good microbrand from the reviews I've read.

I'm not a fan of perlons on divers, they're too dressy IMHO.

>perlon
>dressy

I preordered this Delfin from the last batch of them. There were multiple delays but Jason would very regularly send out email updates and was very honest and upfront about what was going on. Obviously not an issue when you're buying an in stock item. The watch itself is very well made and very good quality. Sorry for the crappy picture but it's the best I can do at the moment.

DAILY REMINDER:
Seiko SRP77x version is the best value for money available today.

Name an ISO certified ( diver ) automatic watch with a similar build quality for 300-350 bucks. Protip - don't even try!

Am I allowed to like this

The portofino has ETA inside

>[This] close to ordering a Stowa Antea

Help, I don't want to spend 1k on a watch

How about an SKX

All the competition it going to come from other Seikos, honestly

No day/date. For that amount of money, it should have it. Otherwise, a beautiful watch. IWC rarely does bad shit.

Does SKX have a 4r36? Nope. SKX is running on a soon to be discontinued movement. So, there you have it. Also, no hacking and manual wind.

The day and date have always been wrong on my quartzes, i dont pay attention

I would not, since they did some serious fuckery with the dial numbers. Everything else looks ok besides that autistic shit. Also no day/smdate, so in total, fuck it.

>mismatched date wheel color
I let this slide on inexpensive watches but that shit is unacceptable on watch that cost multiple thousands of dollars. To me that shows laziness, lack of thought in design, and an overall attitude of not caring.

Fuck off, connoiseur of expensive watches.

So what? Your mongrel mother let Jerome slide in a bit, and there you are.

You can get the date on it if you want, it's an optional extra. Also I'm not sure what you mean about the numbers, do you mean that they are too cartoony compared to this? (pic related)

Still a fine movement in a cheaper package.

>Help
It's not a fundamentally different watch than things 1/3rd of the price. Just an ETA dropped is a case without major care or concern for engineering.

That work?

I mean don't get me wrong I think the designs on their field watches are decent, I just dont see spending $550 on a quartz watch

I originally planned on a cool 2-3k€ automatic like the Black Bay or used similar range, but all the cooler watches are closer to 4k€

that new logo is so bad

Some quartz movements are worth it. I would guess Shinola's aren't.

>virginity shield

What alternatives are there if my criteria are automatic, clean/simple in design, and light?

Not saying it's not a fine movement, mind you. But non hacking and non manual winding kills it for me ( and other watch lovers ). Will be getting an SKX some day just for the sake of having it in my collection.

Little qtpie indeed.

Mantis love watches

I love the white Tropik.

>you have to get your 200m certified, otherwise you can't wash your hands/take a swim at the sea during summer with your watch!
Only autists or divers care. Only the second ones have a good reason to do so.

>blue on blue
White is perfect, fucboi.

I can sell you a 18 month old cream version.

I don't like the bezel but those dial and hands are great.

I don't like the short lugs, they give it a fat look. The bezel looks great, what do you dislike?

Too dressy for a diver.

Anyone living near the sea, or off the sea has to have a good water resistant watch. This Seiko fits the bill. Cheap, rugged as fuck, ISO certified, a real everyday ( beater ) tank. This come from a 35 yr old merchant mariner electrician with 8 years at sea. Hell, when I mentioned SRP came out, entire crew bought themselves one. some bought two :). And most watches crews use are Seiko divers.

I agree on that one, living next to the sea kind of requires having a decently waterproof watch.

Which is why i tend to collect divers and also getting a neo turtle next month or so. (ideally f29)

A random 100m non-iso one would do fine for just that.
Again, why care about iso 200?

Dem trips.

10Atm works fine for swimming, but better safe than sorry. Let alone they are more likely to survive longer exposure to moisture and saltwater.

Plus, i do go diving occasionally.

JLC Reverso

Nigga who the fuck goes for a swim with a watch on?

I can't believe they didn't produce more of this beauty. Does anyone know of a watch with a similar dial?

-Similar, reflective, deep blue dial.
-500 USD or less
-Not a diver
-Mechanic
-I'm not very keen on complications. The simpler the better, IMO.

Thanks in advance.
Any help is appreciated.

Anyone who wants to keep track of the time? What kind of stupid fucking question is that?

If you can stretch you budget just a little you could get a Christopher Ward.

How was your day Sup Forums? Trade any good stocks lately?

>on a yacht
>doesn't have a yachtmaster

If you can afford a reverso/tank then don't even bother with that mid range shit. It's just going to steal money away from your actual watch.

Christopher Ward watches are absolute dog shit.

Please explain why you think that. I have no first hand experience with them but from what I've read they have quality products and if something does go wrong have good customer service to back it up.

What does /wt/ think of Accurist? I got one off Amazon. The thing was on a flash deal. Worth £300, got it for £60.

Good deal or naught?

Not him but they look all like wannabes.
If you can "afford" a car, you can afford a watch. Doesn't mean you'll get one. That way of reasoning is wrong.
If you like the reverso and decide you'll get one eventually it's retarded to get something else that resembles it meanwhile, yeah.

Whatever rating you're looking at, that's a static pressure rating that the manufacturer exceeds with every non-defective example of the case.

A 100m watch (many of which don't have screw-down crowns) might be flooded if you fall out of a boat going at speed, or if you wipe out while kite-boarding, or jump into water from height.

200m watches might even flood if someone dived to 200m and waved their arms around.

The key to making sure your watch doesn't flood is redundancy. Buy something rated to survive well beyond the conditions you'll put it through.

Guy who has rubber backed leather, mind sharing your opinions and low budget research again?
I checked the archive and couldn't find it and have to admit I don't remember the brand name even if I asked for a review before you got it.

They are low end watches powered by cheap Miyota movements.

I doubt it was ever at the higher price though. Post a pic of the watch.

They are actually well made sensibly priced watches. Every review has praised them for how much watch you get for the money.

White faces are underrated.

amazon.co.uk/Accurist-Quartz-Chronograph-Display-Leather/dp/B00CSMPNBO/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YA596SE623M4E18SB4ZV

It's this one, senpai.

Nice, I like the Malvern but it seems a bit large for a dress watch. The slimline version looks nice too.

Maybe but they still don't look good to me.

That looks quite nice, as I say they use typically lower end Miyota movements. Having said that those movements are pretty reliable so the watch should last you.

Post a wrist shot when it arrives and enjoy your new watch my friend.

More pics of chick on the left

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. However just saying they are dogshit would lead people to believe they are no better than Invicta. In actual fact they are a lot better.

They have a few of their own in house movements now too including one with a 5 day power reserve.

it's just I like that Eterna, and I feel I would have to shop around for the "right" Reverso, but I might want a master control instead. if I am spending several thousand, I feel I might want a round watch. though I like square watches, they are less versatile.

I've found expired deals that put the eterna around 400$. if I ever see one of those again I'd probably go for it since that isn't outrageous for an ETA movement