Should I turn off my modem at night?

bump

Yes, most modems have a wifi network on them (e.g. Comcast modems produce XfinityWifi hotspots) so all you're doing is giving other people internet for free by leaving it on when you're not using it.

I read one user say that frequently turning a modem on and off shortens it's life span

This can be true but it means nothing if you don't have a fair idea what the expected life of your modem is. If the modem's life exceeds the technology's life it doesn't matter.

no

No. They're designed to be on 24/7.

It's a waste of an established sync and sometimes a gamble at negotiating an equally good one at the next power-up.

You're free to turn off your router's Wi-Fi at night time, though. Preferably through an OS that allows you to do so on a schedule and the option to defer turning off until the last WLAN client disconnects.

Turning anything on and off shortens its lifespan.
I just turn off the wifi, it's good for sleep.

My old modem used to overheat frequently and the only way to fix that was to give it cool-off periods.

My new one works for long amounts of time, but I just don't want this one starting to develop overheating issues too

Do it so that your neighbor can't hack your WiFi while you sleep

i live in the ghetto. nobody is smart enough to hack my WiFi

Yes. You don't want to be irradiated by the microwaves it produces while you sleep, do you?

I solved that problem.

my current router is in the cold attic now. it's naturally chilled now

So what? You're in the ghetto but would hack my WiFi if I were your neighbor.

Illusion of security is worse than no security at all.

What makes you think that you are the only tech literate hood nigga there?You yourself are an example that a Sup Forums browser from the projects exist.

>It's a waste of an established sync and sometimes a gamble at negotiating an equally good one at the next power-up.

I might as well leave in on 24/7 then

u think that some plebs will hack my WiFi for free internet? they have their own.

is the internet subsidized by the government? if yes then they won't bother but if the internet is expensive (you live in America than fuck yea it is) then a smart hood nigga will try to get into someone elses wifi connection.

how does turning off my Wi-Fi at night decrease my chances of getting my Wi-Fi hacked?

is it the IP changing?

Your opponent will just hack someone else for free internet 24/24 instead of only one weekends and nights.

good to know. thx

test

........(░(¯`:´¯)░)
......(░(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░)
....(░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░░(¯`:´¯)░)
......(░(_.·´/|\`·._)(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░)
.........(░(_.:._).░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░)
██▀║██▀▄║██║██▀║██▄║█║██▀▄║██▀▀║
██▀║██▀▄║██║██▀║██║▀█║██║█║▀▀▀█║
██║░██║█║██║███║██║░█║███▀║████║
....(░(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░░(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░)
...(░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░)
....(░(_.·´/|\`·._)░░(_.·´/|\`·._)░)
██▀║▄█▀▄║██▀▄║██▀║██║█║██▀║██▀▄║
██▀║██║█║██▀▄║██▀║██║█║██▀║██▀▄║
██║░▀██▀║██║█║███║▀██▀║███║██║█║
....(░(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░░(¯ `·.\|/.·´¯)░)
...(░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░(¯ `·.(█).·´¯)░)
....(░(_.·´/|\`·._)░░(_.·´/|\`·._)░)
.......(░(_.:._)░)...(░░(_.:._)░)...

NEVER FUCKING EVER BUY TELEWELL MODEMS

i run a game server and an http server so i cant

just unplug it and stick it in your microwave at night. safest solution.