Why didn't SoftBank buy AMD instead of ARM?

Why didn't SoftBank buy AMD instead of ARM?

They could have bought AMD 7 times over

Other urls found in this thread:

is.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pages/ISG/EURIPIDIS/documents/05.FRANDreport.pdf
mobile.twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/754987788580352000
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

more innovative intellectual property maybe?

I don't know I'm just guessing

'cause nvidia is gonna to buy AMD soon (tm).

The whole thing is very fishy.
>the deal happens in the span of about 2 weeks
>decision entirely made by the top brass without any sort of consulting or planning
>pretty much none of the employees knew what was going on and the news were leaked at 3am British time today so they had to learn from the news and the crowds of journalists at the Cambridge offices
>share price is ridiculously high, something like 50% above the market share
>ARM is nice and all, but certainly not the company that will lead the way in the IoT market
>SoftBank could have number of semiconductor companies instead
Some sort of madness, really.

AMD's x86 license from Intel is revoked when there is material change in the ownership of AMD (i.e. acquired).

Intel made sure a larger competitor couldn't just acquire one of x86 licensees and start directly competing with them.

>pretty much none of the employees knew what was going on

because it would be leaked instantly

Because AMD does not ship it's technology to almost all mobile devices.

These sort of deals are public matter, idiot. Point in case: NXP's acquisition of Freescale a couple of months ago.

because apparently brexit gave them a good discount

also nobody uses AMD shit, do you know how many phone companies rely on ARM??

It was no secret ARM's management was shopping the company around to potential acquirers.

Apple supposedly was interested, but walked away because they realized there was no way to prevent mass defection of Apple competitors such as Samsung from ARM architecture.

Face it user, AMD is a dead meme

Good question

I don't get why this would even be allowed given we need a company like arm badly rite now

>Buying AYYMD junk

TOP KEK

>good discount
they pay 41% more than ARM’s all-time high closing share price

are you retarded, the deal was made before today

>what does all-time high mean

because mobile

ARM is everywhere in mobile
everywhere

Brexit had no effect on the deal whatsoever. Dumb lefty cuck.

But ARM has solid cashflow and good IP. Also SoftBank owns most of Sprint so it will have a very vertical telecom presence.

that user has a point. this cunt pm didn't even try and stop a major British company leaving our shores. there is a brexit link, indirect at least.

>Sprint
Literally who in the IoT market.

>all-time high

ARM's all time high was $54.21 reached in March 2015.

Softbank's offer is only 25% premium over the all-time high price.

so I guess the british pound is all-time high

>Literally who in the IoT market.

Not after Sprint becomes LTE-only and switches off CDMAids later this year.

>all time low pound
>uncertain economic future
>everyone who diagerees with me is leftists
haha oh wow

What a stupid question.

Just look at the revenues for AMD. They are going donwhill.

Why buy a company that is in the doghouse ?

Pretty sure FRAND would see to that.

Maybe it is just too expensive for competitors to just jump in when they want.
It costs billions to design a chip and then success is not guaranteed.

What does that have to do with IoT, which operates in a completely different band? Have you heard of 802.15.4 or Bluetooth? Not to mention that pretty much all vendors (TI, NXP, Scilabs, etc.) offer their own gateways that have IP connectivity.

Dumb teenager, don't ever reply to me again.

because they mistakenly see arm as the future, but it's not arm or x86/x64 that's the future, but a new arch, probably something from ibm, or maybe via will get it's shit together

>the money will be wired today
Found the lefty cuck.

>FRAND

x86 licenses don't apply since x86 isn't an standard ratified by an international standardization body like ISO (C), ECMA, JEDEC (DDR memory standards, etc.), ITU (LTE, CDMA, W-CDMA, GSM), etc.

>These sort of deals are public matter, idiot.

Not if you don't annouce it, idiot.
Point in case: SoftBank's acquisition of ARM a few hours ago.

>Bluetooth

You need cellular for long-range communication.

Many IoT applications require both long-range and data throughput higher than a few kilobits per seconds, necessitating cellular data.

private business and the decisions made that go along with that are not matters of public consumption jackass, it's no ones business but the people who have the money, what they do with that money.

kek, the world is locked in the architecture, they won't rewrite everything, because some other company may have something revolutionary. It's pretty much the same as with windows, just on a lower level.
IBM is a dead meme too, they live from old mainframe vendor lock in. They try to seem innovative with all that watson shit, but no one uses it.

>can't grasp basic economics
This is 18+ site.

>watson

Watson is a nebulous mish-mash of vaporwares.

Customers can't buy Watson because there is nothing to actually buy.

why do you think windows is trying to get everyone on ten so badly, it's so they can drop legacy support and be ready to jump to a new arch seamlessly

>what is a plc
God, you teenagers are in full force today, aren't you?

That's why most device nowadays come with both BLE and 802.15.4 in one package.

Who cares anyway, even after ARM is bought, SoftBank won't open any proprietary driver

>I don't know how valuation works
>I don't know how anything works

AMD would probably be valued pretty closely to ARM, and they're not looking to be acquired by anyone. This acquisition took place because it was a financially advantageous move due to recent political events transpiring.

PLCs are not obligated to discuss private deals being negotiated by the management.

Shareholders get to vote whether to accept the deal or not.

This is the standard procedure.

Is this babby's first day of reading business news?

I disagree with you.
is.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pages/ISG/EURIPIDIS/documents/05.FRANDreport.pdf

>Some ICT specifications become de facto standards simply by widespread use and broad market
acceptance of a given proprietary technology.

>Adobe’s PDF computer file format and Microsoft’s Office Open XML format are well-known examples of
de facto standards. With the Acrobat Reader program available for free, PDF first has become the de facto
standard for printable documents. It was subsequently endorsed by the International Standardization
Organization (ISO) as a formal standard in 2005. Microsoft's Office Open XML format is a de facto
standard for MS-Windows users. It is competing with the OpenDocument format, another de facto
standard for UNIX users. In the mobile industry, Google’s Android operating system can also be seen as a
de facto standard that has been adopted by a large number of manufacturers.

if it can down the the courts I'm pretty sure the EU in this case would rule that Intel can't lock up their stuff and has to follow FRAND

publicly held corporations are not obligated to notify the public or even it's shareholders of business decisions ahead of time. that sort of thing ends with leading by committee and that's never worked for business where shit is often time critical

>new arch
what is win32 api (still in win10 you dumb shit)
they just want to drop the OS support, not the API support, which is the equivalent of the instruction set on processors
they can't drop the old API, because it would cause an enormous shitstorm.

>there's not future because the past has too strong a grip on the present
you sir are a luddite

Pro tip: You can't copyright an ISA. You can however patent the techniques you'd need to use to implement the ISA. Usually, getting around the restriction of the patent is technologically impossible with current technology or results in extremely inefficient design that will make the copycat implementation uncompetitive in the market.

good luck getting the world to rewrite every fucking software for windows you progressive shit
or embedded shit for ARM

>AMD would probably be valued pretty closely to ARM, and they're not looking to be acquired by anyone.

are you a retard ?

AMD hasn't made any money in ~4 years.
They are clawing themselves out of a hole right now and maybe next year they will make some money for once.

I'm very certain companies can't hide behind that stuff to lock competitors out.
Maybe the US doesn't seem to care much, but the EU don't fuck around

it'll happen bruh, ms ignored arm because of your line of thinking and google snapped up the opportunity and plenty of folks jumped on board to develop software for arm. they won't make that mistake again

>implying microsoft can't make win32 for ARM

>win32
more like winrt
It's already supported since windows 8

what bullshit are you talking about that you think requires companies to publicly lay out their roadmap for the future so their competitors can figure out how to profit from it.

>barely literate retard kid proving he doesn't know anything

AMD has a wealth of IP that literally no other companies in existence can match. Aside from intel there is no one who has advance X86 IP. Aside from Nvidia there is no one who has graphics IP capable of the desktop and enterprise levels of performance.
There is no one who has AMD's PowerTune IP, their fabrics, their patents. That is the value of a company.

Not that a tech illiterate 12 year old could understand any of this. Why don't you come back when you actually have a high school diploma, child.

lol, winRT failed faster than I installed it's SDK on my computer

>Implying you can run software compiled for x86
You know the only selling point of MS is legacy support and they're already fucking it with vista and especially with 10.

most of the win32 API is still the same as in windows 95

ARM stock outperformed JPY:GBP by 7% since brexit.

ARM FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH
U
I
C
I
D
E

W
A
T
C
H

Hello!!

Does that mean that all ARM chips will come with chink botnet embedded and not just Allwinners?

>AMD has a wealth of IP that literally

All that IP can't stop you from going bankrupt, just ask Nortel.

ARM now has NSA botnet. They'll just replace it with chink.

I'm sure Oracle will try their best to make ISAs copyrightable after they're done with APIs

Face it, you run AMD64

England just sold her crown jewel to the highest bidder. How humiliating for them.

ARM does not anything really innovative lately
most of their processors are literally:
-Die shrinks
-more cache
-more cores

>"oh no we must reduce power draw at low loads"
>i know, i have this brilliant idea chap
>why won't put 4 big cpus and 4 cpus switch between them and call it day
>yuo are m'genius i'll go straight to PR to think of catchy name, mate
and that's how big.LITTLE was born

ARM will be dead within 2 years after their HPC and IOT will fail

ARM doesn't make their own SoCs. They develop core IP for other people to implement.
Probably shouldn't be talking about a company when you demonstrably have no idea what they even do.

>ARM will be dead within 2 years after their HPC and IOT will fail
This is what I am worried about. SoftBank will sell ARM in a pinch. On the bright side, Fujitsu is working on an ARM based supercomputer for 2020. They can add beefier bits to the ISA and turn around and license this for profit.

>AMD would probably be valued pretty closely to ARM

HAHAHAHA

THIS LEVEL OF AMDRONE DELUSION

Ideally, Britain should be run entirely by the Japanese.

All British companies should be owned by Japan.

It would make Britain great again.

Also, Japanese Bullet Trains to replace all the current trains in Britain.

>Also, Japanese Bullet Trains to replace all the current trains in Britain.

I'd be totally fine with this.

Yea, and pay even more ludicrous prices for a ticket. No thanks. We need comrade Corbyn to nationalise the rails.

So they could provide the world with pic related

Tell that to your Dear Leader, the coward faggot.
mobile.twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/754987788580352000

>Using the "investing" word instead of "buying" because you're too coward to admit you're selling your crown jewels for peanuts
Literally a leader for retards without half a brain.

>can't refute argument
>I'll just call him a cuck

ARM is working on printing logic gates on plastic among other things.

Japan's rail ticket passes are not ludicrous at all compared to Britain's.

You are paying for speed and comfort in Japan.

The most expensive train tickets in Japan are for those super luxury trains that look like hotel rooms and are meant for pleasure rather than speed to your destination.

>printing logic
buzzword
and nanoimprint is utter shit anyways