/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos Thread
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Vidya Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_kjbj-Ez1vU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialog_(software)
github.com/lecram/rover
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Remember guys you have to be FRIEDLY.

We're always friedly

I don't want to be fried.
Better fry a pepper.

Oh GNU/Jesus please not another pepper-thread!

tfw .net wageslave so i can't use linux

No, this is a Broken Windows thread!

First for Green Is My Pepper.

That took a while. Very nice OP.

gnu image manipulator program

xubuntu randomly freezes for a minute, i cant even move the mouse, then just continue to work normally. where can i find logs or something to see the cause of this problem

installgentoo is down, anyone know what's up?

It's a common thing

How do I create an AP with iw, thanks for being friendly.

dmesg. It might be that you have some hardware problems.

Oh, ok then... Anyone want to recommend a terminal emulator that looks better than xterm?

urxvt

I use Konsole.

>Fuck this OS
>Please help
No, go fuck yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=_kjbj-Ez1vU

But user, why not configure xterm?
Search the Arch Wiki how to do it.

I'll look into it now, can it be made to not render fonts like it's not 1980s?
Thanks, for the replies, there are so many bloody terminal emulators.

I like Terminator

Is there a point to using tmux if you're already using i3?

Yes.

What would it be?
Pls no sarcastic responses, I'm genuinely curious

I have 2531 packages installed. Do any of you have anything to say to me?

ok

Because the work you do has nothing to do with your window manager?

Quit attention whoring

Fact: You have an odd number of packages installed

With KDE that's probably all the appendages alone, I use Xfce.

I ask because as far as I can tell tmux helps you separate your terminal into different windows of different sizes, which i3 can already do

So I wonder what other functionality apart from this it has

Are said packages free as in freedom?

It runs different jobs in the background, the window sizes are not its purpose at all.

Fact: 2531 is a prime number

Why are you using so much lib32?

low, 3108 here, but well, I'm a programmer

So it is:
user@something ~ $ factor 2531
2531: 2531

Getting rid of a DE. Which text editor, and file manager should I install? Still want a pretty GUI though.

vim/emacs, no file manager

rice out a tiling wm for prettiness

Ricing i3 atm. Wonder if I should compile i3-gaps for Debian. Never compiled anything though. Kinda lazy to read through vim/emacs info and learn the keybindings. Also need a document viewer, was thinking on Evince or Sumatra?

For vim run vimtutor and it will takes you through a short tutorial that's enough to get you started.

Nothing at all.
Most of my packages are libraries, there's nothing wrong with that when you build software.
>Packages: 2481

linux

Linux-libre

systemd-linuxd

ubuntu

OpenLinux.Org

linux-torvalds

Reminder we have two threads on /t/ - Torrents

Training videos for GNU/Linux (torrents)
Ported videogames (torrents)

Holy fuck that's a lot of
derivative projects.

>Christian edition
>Satanic edition

lelz

What should I use for locking my laptop screen when I close it? I found slim, and it's exactly what I want visually, but that's just for logging in and I can't use slimlock

Defenstration edition?

cuz it's "thrown out the windows"

>mfw Debian

Is there a minimal file manager that can give me image previews and thumbnail previews? Worker has image previews and xfe has thumbnail previews. If Worker had the directory tree view and the thumbnail I would be totally sold, but it doesn't, so sad.

Also, anyone knows if emacs can work as a file manager with thumbnails and image previews?

Seconding this questions.

Any of you guys use Tails? I had a question about it

I was messing around with it, but it turns out that when I shut it down, when the RAM wipe is taking place, it just freezes on my laptop. It doesn't go through with the procedure so I have to press the power button to shut it off.

I also can't simply reboot into it, I have to power it off, take out the USB, boot into my Debian installation, restart the computer, plug in the USB, and boot Tails up again. If I try to simply restart Tails normally, it gives me a black screen (which immediately goes away if I unplug the USB) instead of showing me the Thinkpad logo

This is all on a T420 thinkpad

This behavior doesn't happen on my normal desktop, just on my laptop. Is there any work around? I heard some laptops could be problematic for Tails

Before I just give up and try to install Arch. I currently run Debian. Fsck is done on every boot even after editing the fstab and checking with tune2fs that the max count is -1 or 0.

Is there any other way to stop fsck from running on each boot? It's slowly down my boot time.

Sakura

I'd like to make my Quitter.se (GNU Social) get all my Twitter posts. Is it possible to do with IFTTT?

I've got a running instance of urxvtd, and I accidentally ran urxvtd (again) when I meant to open a urxvtc. How can I connect to that original daemon again without having to kill it (since I have windows running within it that I don't want killed)?

In the meantime I can just keep a second urxvtd running which the clients can connect to, but that's not an ideal solution.

I really like bash but I want to make simple GUI programs for myself (Format and mkfs USB/Multiple Copy manager/Update manager etc).

Does Bash have anything like PyQt or PyGTK? I'm a complete programming newbie btw

I like bash too... How about this?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialog_(software)

946 packages here.
On my ubuntu laptop after 3 years of use I had more than 3k packages. I don't remember how many exactly.

Thanks user. I also came to know about Zenity

I'm in the middle of running ddrescue on a drive.

It goes smoothly for the first 1.5TB and then starts to have constant read i/o errors (every three seconds) from about 1.6TB.

I've put -r3 and didn't do scrape.

Is there a way to create a complete disk image that is usable without it completing? Or should I just let it go under hte impression that the disk will probably be dead afterwards?

If the disk contains readable files - will the copied disk also have those files readable?

Can you please make a ranger-like file manager? People are asking for one with thumbnails, which is theoretically possible thanks to w3mimage and fbi.

Even if is another ranger clone with ncurses, being python-less is going to attract many people.

Of course. I'lldo my best

Hello!
I've installed gentoo and don't know how to read pdfs in wayland, now I use fbpdf in tty2 to read, but there is two another solutions - install weston-view from weston 1.4.0 or use js-viewer.
I dont know how compile weston-view, it has many and I can't compile just it with gcc, I can compile full weston and install just weston-view, but why developers didn't make it as separate single pascage? This is not Unix-way!
Solution #2 - pdf.js by mozilla, online it works good, but when I had download it and open in browser in didn't work.
What to do?
I know, there is many readers for xorg, and I can use xwayland, but it will be not KISS-way.

Take a look at rover if you want a reference, is a simple ranger clone
github.com/lecram/rover

Also don't forget to post here your progress user.

you can get image previews in ranger already with w3mimage

I knew somebody was going to make this mistake, so let me remark than thumbnails are not the same as image previews. What ranger has is previews, of images, text, etc. But thumbnails are inline, not in a separate window like the previews.

Look at this xfe pic.

Deprecated pic
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

>this fonts
>this hinting shapes
>video
do you disable this shit when watch video?
Why you enable sharpness in OS not in monitor?

gotcha

>wayland

Damn that's sexy.

Many thanks senpai.

x.org deprecated, actually there is no reason to use it. 2016 already.

Wayland is still not ready.

Don't worry, Red Hat is going to shove it down our throats like pulseaudio and systemd. Not because they want to control all other distros, not-at-all.

>friendly linux thread
HOW FRIENDLY IS IT?

So anyways, I'm wondering about getting into GNU/Linux. I keep going back to my shitty laptop every summer and installing some odd distro or another on it, but every time I use it for a few days and never touch it until I feel like installing a different distro.
Am I missing something? I thought GNU/Linux was supposed to be better than Windows and OS X, but I don't see what the huge advantage is other than muh freedoms.
It's not like Windows or OS X feels any better to use, but at least they have more software support and vidya games.

So tell me why I should spend the time to convert to GNU/Linux

xorg isn't UNIX-way, just like systemd.
You can youse OpenRC or any other init system if you want, you have choice.
If you hate pulseaudio and networkmanager you can delete it.

>I don't see what the huge advantage is other than muh freedoms

Well, what do you want to use your laptop for?

Windows have games, but not freedom. Anything you do is observed by Microsoft. How about using Steam OS? Is some kind of proprietary GNU/Linux for games...

Linux is worse than other operating systems, but it has the advantage that it is free in a real sense and also free in a freetard ideological sense. Linux is used primarily by welfare cases who can't afford a real operating system, ideologues who support Stallman religiously, and professionals who are not managing desktop computers.

The best you can do is buy Elementary, which tries to replicate Apple's design work and makes freetards angry.

I can no longer differentiate bait posts from serious ones now.

I want to create a launcher for Minecraft, but for some reason I cannot click OK. What am I missing?

>command
java -Xmx6144M -Xms512M -jar /home/michael/.minecraft/Minecraf

>they have more software support

Commercial software, yes, but there's far more software available for linux than for other OSes (unless you actually count all that random broken Windows shitware that fills the internet, but if you do then just kindly end your life).

Use tiling window-manager, use console app, you can even not youse display server at all, there is browsers for framebuffer and console browsers also, mplayer for video in framebuffer, netsurf or w3m as browser...
You can install gnu/linux on all your digital devices, you can choose your C-library glibc uclibc or musl, you can youse modern filesystems, which doesn't supported by windows and mac.

85% casual browsing (watching muh anime and chatting with friends), 5% fucking around with sysadmin stuff, because I find servers interesting (but I've been using Windows Server, SQL, Wordpress, i.e. Shit that werks with Windows), and then 10% playing vidya

Linux actually runs anywhere and it's pretty much universal. My homeserver, my Desktop, Laptop and my phone all run on Linux.

However you can do the same with Apple but you have to pay extra and Apple ecosystem is going to restrict you with apple only products.

Furthermore Linux is more secure and privacy oriented. Windows and MacOS have more vulnerabilities. You can harden your security in Linux as much as you could and Linux will actually let you do it

Good luck trying to live without systemd if their developers keep demanding other sofware projects to depend on systemd.

Also, good luck trying to erase pulseaudio from Ubuntu and derivatives, all their packages are "optimized" for pulseaudio.

any gnu/linux system also have games. On GNU/Linux gaming may be more comfortable, becouse gnu/linux not have so much backward capability as windows.

>Am I missing something?
How the hell would we know? You haven't stated anything about what you've used or anything other than a few vague opinions.