Lockpicking Sets

So Sup Forums, as you know physical security is very tantamount to digital security. So what brands of lockpicks do Sup Forumsentlemen prefer?

Other urls found in this thread:

capricorn.org/~akira/home/lockpick/mitlg-a4.pdf
capricorn.org/~akira/home/lockpick/bumping.pdf
youtu.be/tLeiPmfm-2s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Car windscreen wipers, a file, and some pliers.
Make your own.

You know discussing this shit is against the law right?

Also enjoy being put on a list.

It's not against the law. It's the same thing as penetration testing.
Lockpicking locks that you don't own, and don't have permission to pick, is illegal.
Everything else is fair game.

Talking about lock picking isn't illegal retard, actually picking locks you don't have permission to pick is.

My tiny penis can pick locks. No tools required

just as with digital security, physical security such as locks is only enough to keep out uninterested attackers.

I read that bumpkeys are really fucking handy.

bumpkeys?

Bumpkeys work suprisingly well, but you do need a small set of them to try sequentially. If you don't get it on the first few tries, it probably wont work.

capricorn.org/~akira/home/lockpick/mitlg-a4.pdf
Also, some guy from MIT wrote a handbook on lockpicking.

Thanks janitor, doing great work!

Based janitor. Keep up the good work.

What exactly are bumpkeys?

i thought this was Sup Forums - Technology not Sup Forums - Nigger Activities

>post kawaii weebshit all day long
>implying we weren't already nigger activities

Lockpicking is perfectly legal if you have permission to do so.

roughly cut keys that "bump" the pins into place, without precisely placing them.
It's sort of like a brute force lockpick.
capricorn.org/~akira/home/lockpick/bumping.pdf

ex locksmith checking in
if you dont make your own you are retarded

you insert it into the lock but not all way down and then hit in while applying angular force, so it may set some pins
repeat without realeasing angular force to possibly open lock

Keys that show most modern locks sold at hardware stores are nothing but placebo. Talk to a locksmith or invest in a $200+ lock fron Finland. Either way you might go more paranoid the more you look into locks.

Already on crazy pills prescribed by doc.

pic related

not roughly cut. theyre all cut to just below the lowest depth with sharp point after each well

A key with a spring attached to it.

You put it inside the lock, bump it a few times and voila - an open door.

>implying anything else than free rotating disc locks is worth the money

No it's not. I bet you are one of those nerds who gave a lockpicking talk at Defcon.

>rotating disc locks
>safe

Pick one. They are easily bypassed by a pocket drill.

Does it work on any door?

So wait, why even bother with a lock when anyone with a large pair of pliers or some other tool to twist the lock till it breaks?

i think you mean wa la

It can work on any door with that style of lock.
It's not a guaranteed thing, but it's surprisingly effective.

On doors with one or none security pins. Aka most modern doors.
But picking a lock with a pick is piss easy, a bumpkey is just a lazy solution.

This. I get the lock picking is hacker culture, but I don't give a shit and it has little to nothing to do with information security beyond

Bump keys aren't lazy if you're looking for a quick solution that doesn't look like you're sitting there actually picking the lock.
They're more for criminal activities, or just getting the job done.

What style?

How easy? I have never done it before.

>Why even bother owning anything when it temps someone to break in and steal while you are away/ learned your trend of being home/away at work?

I think you mean voila lower class

These are all bump keys.
Nearly every lock you see is susceptible to bumping.

They are lazy solutions that can get you in trouble by locking up the security pins.

Unless you know that exact kind of lock and what kind of security it has you should never use a bumpkey. Just raking the pins is more effective.

Do they all work for different locks?

I used to think Medeco locks were cool, until I seen someone used a credit card to open one.

Rotating pins was a nice idea though.

There are many channels on youtube teaching you how to pick a lock. There is even a guy, who collects the more secure locks and explains how to unlock them.

60 minutes of your time will teach you everything you need. Then just buy a few lock and a lockpick and try it yourself.

Yep. That's the idea.

Does that trick of using a credit card along the side of the door actually work like it does in the movies?

Is there a good kit that brings everything that I would need? I would like bump keys also.

Yet another reason why lockpicking has been irrelevant for hundreds of years I suppose

>raking pins

Yes for some room locks.

Shit you would have to learn the patterns and shit.

I mean filing it to the shape of a bump key. The only way to align/ rotate the pins to open.

Just look it up on YouTube.

The kits from aliexpress are good enough for a starter.

A bumpkey is essentially an automatic rake.

if its properly installed, no
not very stealthy tho

Ok thanks

not really m8

Most people breaking past locks illegally are not going to bother picking the lock. If they really want to get past a door, they will find another way around, or just kick it down.

Yes, because the lock on the alarm panel is worthless, or the lock on an ATM.

You're an idiot if you actually think that physical security isn't just as or morso important than cyber.

It actually does. Except the credit card only works with shitty doors, because it can't bend properly and it's not thin enough. There are special thin plastic or carbon cards for that.

Yeah m8, once you get physical access, cybersecurity doesn't mean anything anymore.

These only work for indoor doors right?

So I'm actually looking to buy a lockpicking set, because I need it for work. Any suggestions.

It all depends on how the door was installed. If the door opens outwards (or there is no flashing on the door), and the lock is a PoS, you might be able to.

No, I get it. Physical security is important. Totally valuable to a penetration test or practically and should be locked down as best as possible, but useless to me professionally or academically.

Any door, as long as it's only the latch bolt.
There are latch bolts with security pins, but there are rare as fuck, only seen them in hotels.

Mhmm useless? Have fun getting locked out of your flat, or car, or dealing with a broken lock at any point.

>but useless to me professionally or academically.

It should be.
Someone like me could break and a steal your whole server. Physically.

>rare as fuck
if you condsider 98% of locksets rare, I guess

Aren't those for just about every door in every home?

Link to card

You'd be surprised how much emphasis is put on physical and social security by infosec companies.
You can do all the pen testing that you want, but if some random guy can walk in off the street and get the keys to the server room, or an administrator password from the front secretary, there's no point in doing all of that cyber stuff.

I've never seen them where I live. Even the apartment doors don't have the latch bolt security pins, because the landlords are cheap as fuck.

Pic related.
Don't know what they are called in English. They are called "opening cards" in my language.
Sold in any locksmith/lockpick shop.

Are they very effective?

The thought doesn't bother me at all.
Doubtful. Armed guards, man traps, and RFID/biometric auth would be difficult to make it past. Look, as I said, physical security is important, just not a fascination and is over represented in hacker culture made up ~mostly~ of infosec guys.

Now, social engineering is a different thing. Definitely weaker than 'technical' physical security and highly applicable to infosec as well.

Good for opening shut doors.

Well obviously.

>Locksmith shop sells break in tools
lol, what kind of shitty country is this?

Germany. They sell car opening tools too. But these are too expensive and too specialized. A tool that opens up a single BMW model costs around 200 euros.

>Doubtful.
Right. Because bank robberies aren't a thing.

youre gonna have to change your laws with all these newfriends you've brought in. Probably not a big deal selling bmw entry tools as theyre a pain in the arse to open even with the right gear

The newfriends are too dumb to pick a lock or bruteforce a car anyway. They use the old brick technique.

Please.

Solid point desu. I dont think anyone with the agency to go down to the locksmith shop and buy tools, then learn how they work is going to be the kind of person to steal a car

the day when Sup Forums became a snitch for the authority. the wire is showing through your collar.

Addendum to the legality of owning lockpicks.
This is for MA, but most states in America have similar constraints.
It is also not illegal to discuss methods of lockpicking.

There is only one place in America where it IS illegal to own lockpicks, and I think you're all intelligent enough to figure out where.

California

It's actually DC.

>or invest in a $200+ lock fron Finland
OR just get a Gerda lock from Poland.

youtu.be/tLeiPmfm-2s

That was going to be my 2nd guess with new york as third.

>A key with a spring attached to it.
Uh no? Bump keys are made from regular blanks for whichever type of lock you're trying to break into. There are five or six spring loaded pins inside regular household locks. When you insert the right key, it pushes those pins evenly so the cylinder can turn. A bump key is bumped in the hopes that those pins will bounce upward like a newtons cradle and allow you to turn the cylinder opening the lock. It's pretty low tech.

Sound cool. Thanks for sharing.

>windscreen
What's a windscreen. lol :)

You are autistic, aren't you?

At no time does a spring touch the key.

They are called "bump keys" for a reason. Because they have a spring or a thick rubber ring at the base so you can bump them.

They don't need to be.

US locks don't work this way.

How does the key come back out then? Do you pull it back by hand? Then it's not a bump key, but a rake, that looks like a key.
The whole point of a bump key is to be springy, so you are able to hit it very fast.

The key doesn't come back out. The kinetic energy from hitting the key with something solid is what bounces the pins. You might need that high dollar shit for European locks. It isn't necessary for the crappy locks in most homes in the US.

Can I get a reference for learning to lockpick?
IE any good books/wikis/sources for learning that are reputable

Got a 20 year old DC box at work that I am pretty sure the last sysadmin took the keys to. Seems necessary to be able to unlock the same system that I employ, or at least have operable knowledge of how someone would from an infosec. standpoint.

A good resource you should look up is Bosnianbill. He has a site and multiple videos on getting into locks, and does tons of challenge locks where he unlocks super hard locks people send him.

Bump keys are kinetic attacks against the lock, they are the same as raking or using a L-rake.

MIT lockpicking guide.