Favorite language?

Favorite language?

Other urls found in this thread:

gigamonkeys.com/book/
stackoverflow.com/questions/3345397/how-is-racket-different-from-scheme
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scala and Python.

Beginning with java. But I like python too.

GNU/Linux.

Clojure

Javascript, non-ironically.

But I program in c/c++ for work, sadly

Are you me?

c++ and python

I say French, but I only use English these days.

This. Javascript is the most powerful programming language in the world.

python and c, but im looking to learn asm, c++, and javascript

python and c

i never use them though. using php for work. fight me

MATLAB

C# All of the power of Java without having to create a new object for every fucking parameter.

where u at?

Also, C# for using closures without making a new fucking object.

Also, no Whoracle aids.

Java is pajeet tier. Fuck oracle and fuck java.

Probably C#.

I've got an unhealthy fixture on writing loads of small programs in C though.

TypeScript and Python

Rust
It's kind of fun.
Not enough lib support tho

Haskell is neat if you have a textbook on logic to work through

stupid fuckboy, only by learning perl can you become closer to god. I can do things you can only dream of in less time than it takes you to start googling whatever js framework you're using now.

Terry pls

>/thread

Scheme is the first language I ever learned, and I think C# is the most fun to work with, so probably one of those two. I also like C, Python, and Typescript, and while debugging C++ makes me want to kill myself, I've always found writing class files to be oddly gratifying.

C# - my first language so all-time favorite
Java - second
C++ - third
Plankankül - we learned for memes cause we had an acoustic idiot team member once who was edgy nazi wannabe and we taunt him with this

Rust

Rust... to such an extent being made fun of it...

Ruby

>work in C++
>prefers javascript

you lot are fucking sadists.

I like the simplicity of Go.
Rust looks cool, but I don't have any projects where it would thrive.

C++ can do everything, why would you bother with other languages?

Ruby and Lua

also, and why and what you hate about it.

mine: haskell
why: typing system, syntax, and fp
what I hate: its building systems and documentation (little to none)

pointer swizzling and general memory buffer manipulation in C gets me rock hard.
Really enjoying Clojure (and ClojureScript) at the moment though.

Javascript is good only for tiny scripts for web pages. It is being massively overused nowadays.

Kill yourself you fucking braindead pajeet.

C and emacs lisp.

C++ and Python

C#

2/10 - made me reply. Heil lisp

mein negers
hello stallman
I personally prefer clojure and other lisps. Will probably learn haskell next, aside with erlang/elixir.

You can say what you want, but Mozilla developers are really good.

>Clojure
>Running software inside of a Java vm
>infix
It's trash.

Haskell.

well, if it was for me, I'd concentrate myself onto improving SBCL by adding parallelization, polymorphism, making syntax better and other things that make clojure truly shine. But try to explain to your boss (and to a lot of customers) why aren't you using java-related ecosystem.
So, lisp in a JVM it is.

>why aren't you using java-related ecosystem
Because every JRE has different problems, and breaks in different places. Java is so shitty that it's hard to even run software that's written in it, because of compatibility problems between Java runtimes. I don't program in Java, and even then I hate it because of how hard it is to run software written in it.

Python because memes, but I'm growing to love objc and swift.

Oh well, I don't have lots of love towards JVM neither. It doesn't even have TCO, which is essential for a lisp.
This being said, it provides a "good enough" platform for a lot of multiplatform applications. It's true that it's pretty bug-ridden, but it's also true that no one bothered to develop a viable alternative to it. And no, scripting bullshit such as ruby/perl/python doesn't count - the performance is not even comparable. C/C++ do not compare either - lots and lots of differences among the libraries on the different platforms. If you wanna target multiple devices, JVM is, sadly, almost always the best bet.
Also, clojure has a lot of really useful characteristics, such as asynchronous processing with a CSP done right, Aspect Oriented in its core, polymorphism done right, hygienic macros, - and lots, lots of features derived simply from the fact of being a lisp. And this is without counting the amount of libraries one can borrow from the JVM ecosystem.
tl;dr JVM is not the platform we need, but it's the one we deserve right now. So, we deal with it and try to enjoy our stay at least by using a sane language.

I think that even asm.js would beat that.

The word you are looking for is masochist, but it's not true. The freedom of javascript makes c++ look like a prison. The real masochists are people who love and cling to c and c++

Ruby, Scheme and C#

Python and Ruby

What Pakistan?

C# and English

JS is old and busted, TS is the new hotness.

racial offence to the indian programmers and an obvious reference to the fact that this user may be employed by M$ as a promoter of its products on a notorious indonesian cooking forum

>every JRE has different problems, and breaks in different places
ah yes i'm sure your fizzbuzz research is prone to breaking whatever JRE you're working with

>perl
>Terry

>not holyC

C# hands down
Python is decent too

fizzbuzz research aside, JRE is really prone to breaking. Developed Java for 1 year, then worked 6 month as android codemonkey. It's not much, but if one likes programming there's limitless opportunity to learn more about the platform one's working on. The problem of the JRE is the fact that it's held back by the legacy shit. Like a whole, real lot of legacy. So, the current devs have to patch one workaround on another, making JVM and whatever surrounds it shittier and shittier with every release. Oracle JRE is not even the reference one anymore - its open implementation is.

JAVASCRIPT IST THE FUCKING BEST LANGUAGE THERE IS AND HERE IS WHY:

EVERYBODY USES IT!

YES THAT IS THE REASON, WE HAVE ALOT OF GREAT TOOLS, EDITORS, REFERENCES; EXTENSIONS ETC. ITS EASY TO READ AND UNDERSTAND

YOU CAN DO FUCKING ANYTHING WITH IT ON ANY DEVICE.

IF YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN MINE YOU CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF YA CUNT

>Javascript, a language used for almost anything on the web

lol he must be a Microsoft shill.

kys

Spotted the average """""code artisan""""" that writes shit such as atom and other abominions such as an operating system in node.js

>It's good because it's popular xD

Next thing you say that PHP or Java is good.

I unironically like Rust and no amount of Sup Forums memes will convince me otherwise.

Python for small scripts, because it's quick and easy to write in.

ITS THE PERFECT GATEWAY PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE, BECAUSE ITS SO FUCKING EASY. I STARTED WITH C++ AND I WAS TOO RETARDED TO UNDERSTAND IT THEN I TRIED JAVASCRIPT AND WOWWWW IT WAS GREAT I TELL YOU, NOW I WENT BACK TO C++ FOR UNI AND ITS FUCKING EASY NOW WOW HOLY SMOKES GUYS CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

weak, weak bait. Your burning hate towards JS is understandable though - usually, the more popular is the language the stupider is its average user.

But I'm serious tho

Nah, you shouldn't be. Javascript was an attempt to make the whole world use scheme bolting ontop of it the horrible java conventions and syntax. Now, it's almost the other way - it's pretty much java with some reminescence from scheme. A real, real shame.
Since you appear to be liking JS, you should try the real scheme or lisp. Try reading SICP or following some simple tutorial on lisp, like gigamonkeys.com/book/ this one.
It will absolutely make you a better programmer.

from everything I learned in Order
C++>C>Javascript>JQuery>Java>PHP

wtf why are you so nice

Am I supposed to not be?

Yes I'm acting like a retard

>>Javascript and jquery...

You wot m8?

Unpopular opinion on Sup Forums but I have a job, so... favorite is java, then c++ > Swift > python, and js can suck a bag of dicks. Fuckin firefox

Well, a lot of people are acting retard here. I, however, believe that helping someone to understand more about programming will spare me someday lots and lots less spaghetti to read and debug - be it at work or while reading FOSS.
Especially if that someone is already a programmer.

offended

Thanks user... I will check out Lisp

C#. It's like Java but not shit.

You can even see that when you're trying to play gaymen written in Java.
I have never programmed in Java, because I'm not that masochistic.

Muh niggah!

I don't know why there's so much hate towards Ruby. I think most people don't get that you can write "low level" Ruby code and "high level" Ruby code, i.e. if you really use continuations, singleton classes, open classes..

Or for example "call/cc", you have this in very few langauges like Scheme, Haskell (the continuation Monad), Racket.. and Ruby.

>Muh performance
Yes, Ruby is not meant for high-performance code, but for fast devellopment. Still there's a lot of ways to code the bottleneck snippet in C and include it into Ruby..

OK, I stop shilling now. :)

racket is scheme
btw the hate for ruby is because its community is cancerous as fuck.
beware of the lisps communities - they're pretty """exclusive""" - in the sense that they tend to exclude the new users by being elitist.

>racket is scheme

[meticulous nagging]
>stackoverflow.com/questions/3345397/how-is-racket-different-from-scheme
[/meticulous nagging]

>the hate for ruby is because its community is cancerous as fuck

B-but muh MINSWAN.. ;_;

btw the hate for ruby is because its community is cancerous as fuck.

ruby, elixir, crystal, modern pascal

>rust
had fun with .read().unwrap().parse().unwrap() ?

C#.

Malbolge of course.
Get on my level you filthy plebs.

My favorite language is the an extension of the most power language in the λ-cube: calculus of (co)inductive constructions.

It's the only language that doesn't make me feel like a code monkey.