By 2020 most people will use Tablets as their main computers

>by 2020 most people will use Tablets as their main computers

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/uHf2G
youtube.com/watch?v=LEgxS_vzQjU
qz.com/451844/africas-smartphone-market-is-on-the-rise-as-affordable-handsets-spur-growth/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Disgusting...

They already do.
By 2020 something else will be the hot new tech shiet.

The Tablet thing or Windows 2000 Internet connection Wizard?

The tablet thing of course

Unless you work/hobby requires a lot of processing power, there's no reason not to use tablets as the main computer.

Tablets meme have died out already, my man. They tried so hard to push it after iPad's release, but just got market oversaturated and people are still uninterested.

No but close
by 2020 every computers are just glorified remote screens, hardware are now cloud based.

screencap this

2 in 1 PCs? Possibly. Tablets with on screen keyboards only? No. Laptops are much more natural and comfortable to use.

No games.
No programs.
No keyboard.
Shitty screens.

Tablets are dead

not so much interested, they hit a parity where a new tablet every 2~ years doenst have the same feel it did from ipad 1 to 2

Tablets were always a meme.

And now that regular phones are basically tablets they're pointless.

use Sup Forums on my phone more than desktop these days.

In fact, a ot of the time the big machine only gets usedfor work or intense play, not shopping mapps or general shitposting

How do we stop the desktop menace?
Us proud mobilecucks keep trying to kill it, but it just doesn't die!

>use Sup Forums on my phone

We can tell by the quality of your typing.

tfw everyone i know that says pc are shit and uses new smarphones/tablets actually has that one shitty or/and old acer or noname laptop or a prebuild workstation. Literally noone who has a good laptop or good pc is bashing it.

It just won't go away! (by the way this article is hilarious)

forgot to link it fuck
archive.is/uHf2G

>BuzzFeed

makes sense

>2020
>tablets
people already use smartphones as their main computer, you stupid faggot

>*POST PC MARKET*

Daily reminder that 5 years ago we said desktop PCs would be a thing of the past within 5 years.

Daily reminder that tablets a SHIT for any productivity whatsoever, and are only good for consumption.

>there's no reason not to use tablets as the main computer.
Mice and keyboards are still the fastest most convenient human interface device.
/thread

Mice and keyboards require a large flat surface to use. I can use my tablet anywhere.

Press F to pay respects to the desktop.

Just like you can also shit anywhere and eat anything that fits into your mouth, I guess.

Have some standards, man. Buy a desk.

Yeah, I'll just bring my desk with me on the bus.

What kind of things are you doing on your tablet that absolutely require your tablet, rather than just using your phone, if portability is a concern to you?

The tablet craze has died down, I think most people are going with laptops for mobility and productivity.

>riding a rape culture public transit system in 2016

>by 2020 every computers are just glorified remote screens, hardware are now cloud based.
My guess is that will come a bit later. US would need to improve their internet infrastructure first, but with CPU development likely slowing down in the next decade I can see that being a thing by the mid to late 2020s. What could really make it take off is 5G wireless service, most likely with heavily subsidized by the government, due to claims I've read about it providing low latency gigabit connectivity. Corporations get more datamining ability and more control over the users, the government gets the ability to spy on basically everything, and the user who doesn't care about their privacy gets all the processing power they could ever want right in their pocket or even on their wrist most anywhere and possibly immunity to computer viruses depending on how the cloud based services are done.

No one really uses tablets. They have smart phones for the things tablets could be good for.

The only exception is maybe the Surface, but that's basically a laptop

Not until 2-in-1 machines like the Microsoft Surface that have acceptable specs aren't overpriced through the fucking roof

And it's all Microsoft's fault for making a shit OS.

I'll take things normies don't care about for 800, Alex

>no one uses tablets
they are used all the time in the medical field. my primary doctor never uses charts and carries an ipad with him all the time. he sends my prescription orders to my pharmacy on the damn thing too. in hospitals its even more used.

Back when I still had a Nexus 7 every time I would use it for anything other than watching videos, and even than I found every media player clunky I always wished I was using a desktop of laptop.

>wifi is slower
>typing is slower
>multitasking is either impossible or extremely difficult
>fuck all features
>no keyboard shortcuts
>everything has a glossy display(expensive mirror)
>ergonomics
>even emulating MAME games was suffering compared to using a keyboard

I shit you not my mom has about four tablets.

Maybe, small tablets are convenient and portable for most typical use cases. But that doesn't mean it will be their only computer, since tablets are gimped for most forms of content creation and other "productive" work by design.

Public time-sharing systems in the '70s and '80s
Diskless workstations and thin clients in the '90s
Zero clients in the '00s

These were all going to change everything, and they didn't, because network computing is garbage no matter how fat the pipe is. Nobody's going to pay a subscription for something slower, shittier, more unreliable and more expensive than what they already have, managed by a company that isn't guaranteed to survive the decade.

This.

>unity
dropped

By using computers I guess you mean dumbed down features, navigation and less control over finer details then yes, I suppose that's true.

I was looking at getting a Nexus 7 a while back for portable shitposting a while back, ended up getting an old 9" Asus EEE instead and never looked back because I wanted a keyboard and the keyboard cases available were shit. Have you looked at putting one of the full Linux distros available on it (as the primary OS, not through chroot)?

I gave it to my mom and replaced my Blackberry Bold 9900 with a Moto E a few weeks ago.

>someone is selling a laptop
>reason given: i have a tablet so i don't need it now lol
i see this all the time.

You're going to type a paper on your tablet?

can't play WoW on a tablet

You're a fucking idiot. For real.

Thread/

Are the majority of computer users doctors?

youtube.com/watch?v=LEgxS_vzQjU

god damn I'm so glad I got out of computers and into welding before it was too late. I actually fell for the sys admin meme in 2013.

same m9 i'm pretty fucking glad i dropped out of my CS course last year

Wait what?

>since tablets are gimped

And that's all it boils down to.
The smaller you go the more gimped it has to be compared to a larger form factor.
If all you constantly do is casually chat, shitpost, look some shit up, watch stuff on a tiny screen it's fine but saying the desktop or even laptop are going away is like saying mainframes and super computers should have gone away because desktops are so good now. If in 2020 tablets are running 6GHz processors, desktops will be running 12GHz processors. And software generally goes in the inefficient bloat and resource demanding direction not the other way around regardless of what hardware is doing.
The tech industry keeps pushing for this little gimped down device shit because they have more control over these devices than you do compared to a laptop or desktop AND you have to buy other devices to make up for the phone or tablet's shortcomings as a computer.
The people who are fine with just a phone or tablet aren't computer people anyway, they're causal internet people.

this this and all this. people use what there's flashy advertisements for, not what werks. my prediction is VR meme shit like glasses or something

Hell they don't even care anymore, they're cutting their losses and giving away Windows to home users so they can sell their info to third parties. Azure cloud is the only thing keeping them afloat.

>an os on your os
pretty sure they don't mean a vm on a fucking android phone either

>no games
it has
>no programs
it has
>no keyboard
you can buy one, but yeah
>shitty screens
only if you are living in 2012

kek'ed

Good. Desktops are almost dead already for normies. Traditional Windows/Linux/OS X desktop OSes are essentially going to only exist for power users, and everyone else is just going to have their phones and the fucking cloud.

at this point, you're going to lose because you admitted to going outside

>I frequently have sexual relations with females

You do know that there are more cellphones than PCs these days, right ?

a desktop requires wayy too much.
>plenty of money
>constant electricity
>tied up to one place

is it any wonder why tablets/phones have exploded in growth in developing countries ? Most of the benefits of a PC with none of those downsides.

If you were some poorish farmer or worker in some poor country, would you rather have a cellphone today OR a desktop PC years down the road ?
Eventually these people (if they become well off enough) will buy a desktop PC, but right now all the growth comes from mobile shit.

>>plenty of money
how much cheaper is your $800 iPajeet vs a $300 laptop?
>>constant electricity
how are you charging your phone?
>>tied up to one place
in what situation would you find yourself needing to do things on a computer when you aren't at home?

qz.com/451844/africas-smartphone-market-is-on-the-rise-as-affordable-handsets-spur-growth/

>how much cheaper is your $800 iPajeet vs a $300 laptop?
The sub $100 phones are cheaper than both.
When you want to take pictures do you get your laptop out ?

>how are you charging your phone?
Nig-nogs in villages will turn on some generator/some shit and let you charge up your phone for a few cents.

>in what situation would you find yourself needing to do things on a computer when you aren't at home?
this implies you have a computer in the first place, these people don't have one.
Better a $100 phone than nothing at all.

>before
>people interested in computers buy a PC
>people not interested in computers don't buy a PC because computers are for nerds
>now
>people interested in computers buy a PC
>people not interested in computers buy a cellphone to do le facebook and snapchat because it's trendy
Wtf I'm a #ShillPhone now

>decentralized internet by 2026

>in what situation would you find yourself needing to do things on a computer when you aren't at home?
Being able to collect data in the field (literally) can be very important. Also reference material for equipment and/or chemicals while farming.
There are so many uses for a tablet/phone in rural parts where even a small laptop would be overkill/cumbersome.

I know people who have never touched a desktop in their lives, can't wait to see how future generations cope with work having to be done on them(assuming people still have white-collar jobs in the future)

Japan has been using phones/tablets instead of PCs for years. Almost nobody ever owned a computer there.

I like that style where is that from?

PC.
You can't buy a phone for your kid for 'learning purposes'.

>moving the goalposts

If that was true 3D tv should be the norm but it's not

Nothing really, but I hate small screens.

I'm ok with that. better for my parents using a tablet/phone(harder to fuck the OS by browsing the web like they normally do using windows) than a desktop.

Why? Tablets fucking suck. If there is a single tech meme I'm never gonna buy in, it's tablets.

that doesn't surprise me
what surprises me is how normies are able to fuck up even a completely babby-proof closed system like iOS

Normies are catching onto Apple's closed source faggotry being a bad thing.

See: Pokemon Go and how it wasn't available in many app stores forcing you to create a new iCloud account in the US wiping out all your data on your phone that was tied to the iCloud account you normally used. Lots of people complained about that

Gee, I wonder why the two major businesses that are failing miserably at desktop computers but thriving in mobile devices would be shilling so hard to propagate the idea that desktop PCs are dead.

I wonder what Microsoft has to say about this. Will they agree or disagree? Who knows?

I can't wait to be in the future and do all my work on a tablet, in my employer's open space office with an integrated kindergarten, standing desks and $80 wood logs as office chairs.

If by "use tablet", you mean use tablet to act as primary remote touch screen terminal to my custom built mega mainframe. Then yes, I plan to move to a mostly tablet based setup by 2020.

If you mean to just use a tablet, ... why?
... Why would I subject my self to such a poorly made middle ground device that can't even handle my most computing needs.

That's because in Japan, a desktop will take up your living room and most of your kitchen. Plus a phone is more convenient for when you want to record your last moments before commiting suicide due to working on 18 hours a day, 7 days a week

I prefer my laptop, because it's just easier to type and stuff (even after considering bluetooth, infrared, mini and roll-up keyboards). But yeah eventually we'll only have a screen and other forms of input. I'm just not gonna constantly tap a screen that's sooooo unproductive.

Desktops though, they are today only for true gamers and those who need the best systems that are also modifiable.

>tfw no GNU/Linux phone
I know they can never be free in the first place, but every single phone OS out there is shit.

>but every single phone OS out there is shit
You've clearly never used BB10OS

You make a good point. Tablets make proper Facebook machines for the average user. But they could also stifle the people with the potential of being tech savvy. I don't know where I would be today if the computer I had in my room as a kid would have been a tablet.

arm devices are terrible.. they always use proprietary modules so you cant update them after a while

A kid who's interested in tech will be interested in it sooner or later, there's nothing stopping them from hacking up their own tablet or getting their own desktop because a friend told them about mods or better games or whatever.

Hell, it will probably be a better time than ever to be getting into the software side of things, thrift stores will be overflowing with so much capable hardware in the 2020s it won't even be funny.

It's like watching magazine columnists jerking it raw to the rise of RISC in the late '80s all over again, except it's somehow even dumber.

Sure, why not? We already have tablets that run desktop OSes and perform decently as laptop replacements (Surface etc.), so I don't find it hard to believe that tablets will be at least on par with laptops in a few more years.

Hell, fast forward to 2026 and I won't be surprised if we're all using smartphones as our main computers and docking them with tablet, laptop, and desktop peripherals as needed.

Baby boomers LOVE tablets. I don't know why, they just do. They never got into real computers and it's perfect for them.

Tablets are for old people and toddlers. Babies love tablets too.

as long as we have gaymer kiddies, there will be desktops

All is not lost. Single board computers are becoming cheaper to make and buy, freedom isn't dead.