the harmful "cloud" meme.
>"cloud" meme.
>meme.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid#CloudComputing
gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#System-Portability
vocaroo.com/i/s1NMYCAsVyZ3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You do know memes are an actual concept, right?

Yes. Not one that Stallman ever calls anything though.

He's always been a raging autist, now he's just a raging autist who's got with the current culture of raging autists.

Kek

In the context he said it he seems to be using the proper definition of the word, not the "internet culture" definition.

He is talking about corporations labeling their products as cloud and spreading the term around until it is a common term.

>Richard Stallman might be lurking this board right now
>He could be any user posting at this very moment
>He might even secretly be a Sup Forums regular

doubt it, Sup Forums is non-free software

inane comment

That's a buzzword, retard. Fucking neo-Sup Forums I swear.

It is a buzzword, and it is also a meme. It is a buzzword because it is a term used to sell things that has no defined meaning, and it is a meme because the term has spread around a culture and has gained wide usage.

The term “cloud computing” is a marketing buzzword with no clear meaning. It is used for a range of different activities whose only common characteristic is that they use the Internet for something beyond transmitting files. Thus, the term is a nexus of confusion. If you base your thinking on it, your thinking will be vague.

When thinking about or responding to a statement someone else has made using this term, the first step is to clarify the topic. Which kind of activity is the statement really about, and what is a good, clear term for that activity? Once the topic is clear, the discussion can head for a useful conclusion.

Curiously, Larry Ellison, a proprietary software developer, also noted the vacuity of the term “cloud computing.” He decided to use the term anyway because, as a proprietary software developer, he isn't motivated by the same ideals as we are.

One of the many meanings of “cloud computing” is storing your data in online services. That exposes you to surveillance.

Another meaning (which overlaps that but is not the same thing) is Software as a Service, which denies you control over your computing.

Another meaning is renting a remote physical server, or virtual server. These can be ok under certain circumstances.

>>>/tumblr/
And stay there.

What?

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid#CloudComputing

This guy is is such a tard. I hope he dies soon, it will be for the best for GNU

>gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid#CloudComputing

“PC”

>It's OK to use the abbreviation “PC” to refer to a certain kind of computer hardware, but please don't use it with the implication that the computer is running Microsoft Windows. If you install GNU/Linux on the same computer, it is still a PC.

>The term “WC” has been suggested for a computer running Windows

every time

Stallman is quite funny.

>Dr Richard Stallman
>Only has honorary doctorates.

I like this one: gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#System-Portability

>If you do support Windows, please do not abbreviate it as “win”. In hacker terminology, calling something a “win” is a form of praise. You’re free to praise Microsoft Windows on your own if you want, but please don’t do this in GNU packages. Instead of abbreviating “Windows” to “win”, you can write it in full or abbreviate it to “woe” or “w”.

Why is that?

even though he's using the word right, I still feel like he's shitposting by using it at all, particularly now that the word "meme" has really entered the mainstream
also, he's still Stallman:
his arguments on word choices are almost entirely all "I don't like ___ so don't do that"

there's only a handful that are well argued (actually, going through the whole list, the only one I agree with is his avoidance of "BSD-style" for licenses)

>The term “WC” has been suggested for a computer running Windows
audible kek

armin is dead

What did he mean by this?

Stallman probably masterbates to the thought of non free software since its like a forbidden fruit to him.

he's okay with using non-free SERVICES, so long as the javascript running on his computer is free
he makes this distinction in his writings

Why would he keep it secret?

Because it's inane.

Wow you showed him my dude.

The day everyone on Sup Forums died a little inside.

Why is a man who is able to eat his own foot crust in a room full of people so concerned with freedom? He's already there.

oh wow holy fuck

You can use Sup Forums without using non-free javascript. Especially with 4chanx or clover.

>Sup Forums
>mainstream
No wonder there are so many mass shootings in the US. I hate you all.

I'd rather eat his foot crust than be a living meme like all of you chan faggots. People like to throw around the term 'special snowflake' around here but you're all indistinguishable from the next chan nigger.

>"Dr" Richard Stallman
Topcuck

He's got at least 10 more doctorates than you, faggot.

All honorary doctorates so really we have the same amount of real doctorates

How many real doctors have _any_ honorary doctorates? Right. They wish they did.

>I was going to suggest another name based on what the file does.
But I can't figure out what it does.

Lolwut.pl

Memes are the dumbest thing Dawkins ever came up with and he has rightly been ridiculed for it

Sup Forums has been mainstream since 2008 it's not a secret club

How can it be dumb when his concept of meme has become a meme itself?

>rightly ridiculed for it
When? Where?

>cloud meme
Stallman posts with us. It's been confirmed.

Stallman, please update your page on Sup Forums, at the very least update it to confirm that you lurk.

You can't do this unless you buy a pass. I doubt you can buy a pass without non-free Javascript. Maybe if someone else had one for him.

There is a non-javascript capcha and you can also use the old capcha which didn't need javascript if you use 4chanx.
Javascript isn't used on the newer versions of clover, either.

if clover doesnt use JS then where is my clover cli port

I'm not sure why, but I just can't stop laughing at this. Imagining Stallman typing "harmful "cloud" meme." Imagining his mind generating that output.

What joke?

I'm not Richard Stallman but if I were I would not be frequenting a web forum running on a proprietary backend.

>Using modern terminology that people undestand is bad PR
>Using dated terminology for aging geeks is good PR

Everyone knows "cloud" means "a server somewhere else with your shit on it".

Also stallman doesn't program, he just watches over emacs and ensures that it remains unusable and retarded by default.

>he just watches over emacs and ensures that it remains unusable and retarded by default.

Yeah. I'm so glad Stefan keeps him under control, or else Emacs would be prehistoric. Stallman doesn't even like package.el or Org Mode.

>Dr Richard Stallman
This triggers me more than it should.
I'm working toward my phd while this memer calls himeself "doctor" over honorary degree from third world universities that just want their minute of fame everytime someone googles RMS educational background.

Imagine what stallman would do if the standard key layout changed by two binds

>C-s saves
>C-x C-s searches

Autistic shitfit about how it makes emacs less free by confusing "legacy" users? Some rant about how emacs' key mnenomics are somehow logical for a lisp based editor and not the result of if being teco originally?

In teco most editing commands are one letter but file/buffer commands are two

I don't get it.

I do agree with most of his lists. Like with Powerpoint, mp3 player, or Piracy.

WC means toilet in many places.
He's suggesting that you call Windows Computers = toilets

>To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email:
Stallman has completely lost it

Well, I certainly hope he finds it.

Sup Forums is free.

No, it requires nonfree javascript to use by default.

vocaroo.com/i/s1NMYCAsVyZ3

>He hasn't made anything relevant in years
>Thinks everything proprietary is a ploy by the Illuminati to steal your info
>Literally rejects any invites for "Netflix & Chill"
>Celebrated Steve Jobs death
>Wants every company or developer that wishes to make a profit via apps or some proprietary idea to fail
>He pretty much wants the tech world to be a communist state

>He hasn't made anything relevant in years
He spreads the word of freedom.

>Thinks everything proprietary is a ploy by the Illuminati to steal your info
The point he makes is that if it is proprietary, there is no way to prove that it is not, so it is safest to assume the worst.

>Literally rejects any invites for "Netflix & Chill"
He does not want to encourage the use of digital handcuffs.

>Celebrated Steve Jobs death
Who wouldn't?

>Wants every company or developer that wishes to make a profit via apps or some proprietary idea to fail
Only if the program being sold is proprietary. I have purchased free software.

>He pretty much wants the tech world to be a communist state
What?

This is amazing.

>He spreads the word of freedom.

Anyone with too much free time can do that

>The point he makes is that if it is proprietary, there is no way to prove that it is not, so it is safest to assume the worst.

Oh man this video game doesn't fall into the FSF guidelines, I bet the chinese are using my PC to farm bitcoins

>He does not want to encourage the use of digital handcuffs.

How is netflix a digital handcuff? You get what you pay for, which is being able to select from an ample selection of movies to watch without any charges other than the monthly subscription.

>Who wouldn't?

People who respect him for it's work at Apple? Remember not everything they did was iPad Plus++ or iPhone rehashes

>Only if the program being sold is proprietary. I have purchased free software.

>Free software
>For sale

Doesn't compute.

>What?

Anyone can reach that conclusion after an afternoon browsing his website and reading all his statements

Free as in freedom. Free software is often sold for a price. Red Hat sells their GNU/Linux distribution for money. Synergy sells their free software program for money.

>Oh man this video game doesn't fall into the FSF guidelines, I bet the chinese are using my PC to farm bitcoins
I hate the FSF, but game developers in the past HAVE done some shady shit using DRM.

I don't mean games with DRM but rather video games in general (Since they pretty much fall into proprietary software DRM or not).

Just stoke me
>jokingly speaks about steve jobs' death
>debunks politically correct speeches on his blog
>sees everything in black or white or at least pretends he unironically does

>Sup Forums is too inane for him

You don't need 4chanx to use the old captcha, you moron. It's in the settings.

No, it would probably be about changing common keybinds for a 40 year editor.

>You can't do this unless you buy a pass
entirely false

>unironically wanting CUA keybindings in a text editor
I guess you also think that the arrow keys are a great way to move the point?

gratis, not libre

>Fell for the cloud meme

What does your preferred keybinding scheme look like?

the backend is libre.

>Doesn't know what meme means
>Uses le maymay definition of animals with captchas and spongebob
>Calls others neo-Sup Forums

>you can also use the old capcha which didn't need javascript if you use 4chanx.
The v1 captcha needs you to allow scripts from Google, otherwise you won't get the picture of what you're supposed to type.

There's a JavaScriptless captcha too

I know that, I'm just saying that the v1 captcha doesn't work without scripts, even with Sup Forums X.

He responds to all kinds of wacky E-Mails.

>why would there be a bowling pin back stage at a speech
i'll never not laugh at this

Meme magic

as relevant as "Dr. Issac Newton"
retard.

Aaand the card

My favorite

>Lyra and Bon Bon.
CUTE!

I think rms is just downright baffled by us.

Just respond with this gif.

>And why am I standing in the middle of the Hudson River?

If done today, it would probably be full with makis.

why am I laughing so hard at this?

>sent from my ipod

fuck I lost it