Ideapad 100s, HP stream 11, or macbook air?

Ideapad 100s, HP stream 11, or macbook air?

Looking for a cheap uni laptop for taking notes and web browsing.

What other options are there?

Not interested in buying used or refurbished.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Google-ChromeBook-11-Notebook-w-Exynos-5-Dual-1-7GHz-2GB-11-6-16GB-SSD-2600-/231949235191?hash=item36014073f7:g:Pz4AAOSwFMZWsiZ1
medion.com/gb/shop/cheap-laptops-medion-akoya-e6239-md-99452-30019299a1.html
medion.com/gb/shop/cheap-laptops-medion-akoya-s2217-md-99512-30019556a1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Looking for good battery life and smooth performance for basic tasks like ms office and YouTube.

Get a used Thinkpad.

Good keyboard for typing is important.

Also while money isn't an issue, I'd rather not overspend.

No.

Why not?
A decent Thinkpad checks all of your boxes.

>dirt cheap
>more than capable of running basic tasks
>great keyboard on the older models
>very decent battery life

>cheap
>Not interested in buying used

kys
High end laptop > used high end laptop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new cheap laptop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>used cheap laptop

How about a chromebook? My fave is the Acer 15", but that's a bit expensive. How about just taking notes with a pen and paper. Smart pen if necessary...

Not interested in buying used or refurbished, thanks.

macbook air, anything else is trash.

>doesn't want to spend much
>B-BUT I DON'T WANT ANY USED LAPTOPS

Kill yourself.

Budget is up to 1500 aud.

The lower it'll cost, the better it is. I need a literally facebook tier machine, no need to get cranky about that.

fucking hell
kill yourself

Get a used T60 for $60 then.

The ideapads have piteous displays. Some of the worst I've ever seen on a laptop.

Stay far away from the ideapad unless you're using it as a dirt cheap htpc or something and never plan to actually set your eyes on the screen.

Any better alternatives at 13 inches or smaller? Good battery life is definitely necessary.

Why?

Now you're just being a troll. Don't you have a bridge to stalk?

Giving you sound advice isn't a troll my dude. Small screens (especially 16:9) are shit for note taking, at least in my experience.

>macshit air
>literally the same 1366x768 TN trash screen on $200 walmart trash
>$900

Kill yourself.

Actually it's 1400x900 TN trash

I got my Ideapad 100s in the mail last week. The screen is total dogshit, but it's usable. Definitely not what I'd call good, but in the het what you pay for range, if you buy one on sale. Battery life is pretty good though, and the screen isn't an issue when I'm using the HDMI port to hook up to a TV

>Ideapad 100s, HP stream 11, or macbook air?

>macbook air
>cheap

Kill yourself OP

it's within his budget, fuck off.

his cheap of 1500 aud is not cheap
cheap is like 200 dollars 300-400 is even pushing it.

Depends on what you do in school.

In terms of screens, Macbooks can't be beat especially with OS X's perfect scaling compared to Windows. Very good color gamut as well, so good for design.

Ideapad if Macs are out of your budget or you just don't want/need OS X. Might want to look at some of the smaller Thinkpads too.

I don't recommend buying outside of Lenovo or Apple unless you want a gaming laptop.

Avoid the Stream, no matter what you are doing.

Yes. Thank you.

Shit, didn't see that you said Macbook Air. Shitty fucking bullshit screen and potato keyboard. Fuck that shit, get the 13" Macbook Pro. It's obviously bigger, but it is the most well built machine I've had the pleasure of using.

So you recommend a thinkpad t60 instead? And consider yourself not a troll?

Cheaper is better, but my budget is up to 1500 aud.

I'll give it a try at the Apple Store. Cheers mate, if I like it I'll buy it. It's mostly just for note taking, and some light web browsing.

>macshit
>color

Good joke.

>Cheap uni laptop
>Willing to spend 1500 on facebook machine
1500 isn't cheap for a laptop friend.
I've heard good things about the hp stream 11 if you want a new laptop, but I'd highly reccommend at least considering used. Most used thinkpads are in very good condition anyways

You wanted a cheap Facebook machine. The T60 is a cheap Facebook machine for $60. With a better screen for note taking, in fact. Why do you have a problem with used?

If you really don't care about spending up to $1500 AUD for a machine you will only use for taking notes, get a Surface.

86% of sRGB is good. I never said it was the best, but it's good enough for doing most design work. The display is also IPS, which is _THE_ display panel type to use in design.

Also, ignore everyone telling you to buy used. No matter what you do you will have a government backdoor, but buying used is just holding your anus wide open for people to do whatever they want to. If anybody has owned your machine except for you, it is best practice to consider it permanently compromised unless you investigate for any foreign components and hashcheck every bit of software, including device firmware.

1500 isn't cheap, I'd prefer cheap, but my budget allows for up to that much if the difference in performance, screen quality, and battery life are worth it.

Why are you so desperate to sell me on a used thinkpad that has no warranty, mediocre battery life at best, and is thick and clunky.

I want a portable note taking machine, not a workstation.

Fuck off

X205TA. Bought it on a desire for a new netbook after we had a netbook thread a week ago; I fell in love with it despite its shortcomings. All prices in USD.

Pros:
>Small, extra light
>$200 new, $140 open-box, currently on sale on Amazon for ~$168
>Decent screen
>Bluetooth
>LONG battery life for price point
>Reasonably powerful considering 2gb RAM and Atom CPU
>Runs ACTUAL old gaymes like Stronghold or gaymes like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Cons:
>32gb eMMC storage
>2gb RAM
>1366x768
>Chugs if you have a web browser open alongside anything else
>Chicklet keys
>Heats easily under program pressure
>Win10 pre-installed, spotty Linux support (power management only extremely recently supported on *ubuntu!)

It's about 11" which is what I think you're looking for.

Unless you want something with more beef, then I HIGHLY suggest a Thinkpad despite all the memes and circlejerking that surround it. Bought an X200 during college and it was a massive step up for quality of life in comparison to my 15" Asus laptop; very pleasant to type on for long periods of time, easy to navigate around while on home row, a do-whatever-you-want machine that doesn't break the bank. There are plenty of generic Asus/Acer 15" laptops that do what you want as well, just search by best rating on Amazon or something.

Another option if you want a pure note-taking/web browsing machine is a Chromebook. ChromeOS is apparently getting more on-computer features and can work with Android apps.

You are the one asking for advice. If you didn't expect me to justify my reply, you shouldn't have replied yourself.

You want a machine exclusively for notes on a desk. There is no need to buy a new or premium machine for this purpose. But as I suggested, you should get a Surface if you want these things. They are $200 on Amazon.

MacBook Pro 13.3

OP said he wanted a laptop, not to commit arson and insurance fraud.

Get a used Thinkpad and slap an SSD and new battery into it and you're all good. Too bad you won't take this advice because you're retarded.

Is that a guy?

>all these retards shilling chunky ass piece of shit chinkpads

>>all these pajeets shilling molten housefire gay ass piece of shit memebooks

Thinkpads are faggot tier pieces of shit.

dont buy it over the internet. go to a store, ask the staff to play "loud" music on laptops you like, buy the one with the "best" sound. (I know loud is not the best, but high volume is good for testing)

What are you on about?

Go to bed Tim

Surface 3

thinkpad

>ThickBads
It's a xhe, you cis shitlord

I would highly recommend a Chromebook.

imo Laptop with OS X (that isn't shitty MB air) > Chromebook > Ideapad 100s

I put OS X up there in case your needs expand (I'm assuming you're doing ComSci), however if your needs stay as there in the OP, Chromebook may be 5 times cheaper and you can easily 'dual-boot' into Linux (quote marks because you'll be running both ChromeOS and a distro at the same time and can switch between them in one button combination)

>fart app machine
>compsci

Good joke.

Also ideapad 100s comes after because I have a ideapad 305 and it is god-tier

I used Windows throughout uni, but now that I'm using a rMBP for work, it is pretty god-tier for development, 2nd to a distro in terms of capability, but 1st with user-friendliness

>making fart apps
>for work

My sincerest condolences.

It's alright, getting paid for fart apps is an easy life fampai

OP check the Dell outlet store, there were a few 13inch current gen xps on there a few days ago, 1500. Failing that look for a latitude 14 7000 series, also good.

Please allow an alternative

He can't, it's beyond his mental capabilities

Xps 13

Spectre 13

Holy fuck is that's bad
Senpai it's unacceptable when Apple, the supposedly premium brand that charges premium prices, is putting shit-tier components in their flagship models

ASUS X205TA.

Same boat as OP, I do want a 1080p screen though. Was looking at Acer Chromebook 14 but i'd really want Windows or at least Ubuntu

Can't you install Linux on a chomebook?

Crouton, though I haven't done it

Out of the super cheap laptops the x205ta is best. Had one all last year for uni, did a great job. Battery life is amazing, about 10 hours average.

13" rMBP.

The HP Steaming pile of shit 11 is of poor quality. Ideapad 100s has an Intel Atom x86 processor from what I understand. Do yourself a favor and purchase the Acer es1 131 with 14 nanometer Intel Celeron N3050. Its literally the only reasonable choice. Its BIOS is really nice and you'll have no problem installing a GNU/Linux operating system if you wanted. All ports are in the back except for the headphone jack which is really nice. Trackpad is what you would expect from a cheap notebook but the keyboard is really great. And it has a non glossy display.

You don't get a MacBook air. You get a 2016 MacBook with retina display.

>you don't get a piece of shit
>you get and even bigger pile of shit

Could you recommend me a good laptop for around 300€ for internet, excel, etc.?

Yes

Here you go senpai. Too lazy to crop the memebook out of the picture.

Just go to the store or search online for a laptop with Intel i3 processor that you like. safest bet

I have this one.
Screen is shit.
Get a tablet instead.

ebay.com/itm/Google-ChromeBook-11-Notebook-w-Exynos-5-Dual-1-7GHz-2GB-11-6-16GB-SSD-2600-/231949235191?hash=item36014073f7:g:Pz4AAOSwFMZWsiZ1

offer them 55
they always accept
I've bought 6 of these so far
>and sold on craigslist for 80 each

All those computers are shit. SHIT.
Get a used thinkpad. Don't argue. JUST GET IT.

why is windows 10 so ugly Sup Forums

How is this Facebook Tier? A Medion Netbook is facebook tier.

medion.com/gb/shop/cheap-laptops-medion-akoya-e6239-md-99452-30019299a1.html

medion.com/gb/shop/cheap-laptops-medion-akoya-s2217-md-99512-30019556a1.html

why not a macbook air instead?

Chromebook /thread

Seriously, bought one for this very purpose last year, worked out great. Battery for days, nil boot times, does the Facebook and YouTubes just fine. I went with one of the fancier models, still under 300 dollarydoos.

Only real complaint I had was it sucks for coding and SSH is a pain, but that's what my desktop is for.

Acer Chromebook 14.

facebook tier?

get a decent chromebook like the hp chromebook 13 g1 or just a regular macbook (retina display, usb-c)