Greetings from Sup Forums (sorry)

Greetings from Sup Forums (sorry)

I want to build something small and cheap that I can quickly hook up to any TV and start emulating, hopefully up to PS1 or GBA. I was going to make a Mini ITX computer, but someone told me that's way more work than necessary and from what I can tell the parts will cost a fortune even if I buy only outdated technology and buy used.

Is Raspberry Pi strong enough for PS1 emulation? Are there any other problems with Raspberry Pi I don't know about, or problems with Linux and emulation? Has anyone else built a portable emulating machine?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Operating_systems
hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825
gpdxd.com
lakka.tv/
retropie.org.uk/
learn.adafruit.com/pigrrl-2/overview
amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6Q2GSY/
pcpartpicker.com/list/L43LJV
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Raspberry Pi 3 works fine on PS1. Just get a case.

Do you know what OS I should be looking at? I don't know much about the Raspberry Pi but I can do most of the legwork myself. I know none of them work with Windows so I'm looking at the list of supported OSes here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Operating_systems and a few of them say Linux, I've never done anything with linux so I have no idea if I want gentoo or "puppy linux" or what the fuck but I can muscle through and learn how to set things up on it as long as I know I'm moving in the right direction.

Sorry I'm retarded.

just get the raspbian, is made for the pi anyways

okay thanks user

Raspbery PI comes with its own linux OS called Raspbian based on Debian.

To be totally fair, you could just use some PC collecting dust in your closet and it would probably run PS2/Gamecube or even Wii games just fine

Portability is a concern for me user, I know Ouya small is unrealistic but I'd hate to lug an old eMachines beast around

Orange pi pc should be fine and is only $15 from aliexpress

This.

If you want twice the oomph for twice the money then try the ODROID XU4:

hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825

literally buy a psp 2000 and the video cable for it. will emulate up to ps1 and gba.

this desu

Intel NUC

This is pretty cool

gpdxd.com

And 5x the linux knowledge needed to get a bunch of emulators up and running even with the build 1 guy is maintaining for it.

I've been researching this shit all evening, thanks guys, you can be alright

there are a few distros made for turning the Pi into an emulation machine. One is RetroPIE, which picks out all of the emulators they think are best. Another is Lakka, which only uses RetroArch (which is good enough)

lakka.tv/

retropie.org.uk/
This. Easy to setup and easy to maintain. Works up to ps1.

learn.adafruit.com/pigrrl-2/overview

OP here, everyone on Sup Forums is so helpful and nice

You're extremely lucky. I honestly opened your thread just to read the negative reactions and feed my contempt for Sup Forums's toxic culture. You must have just come at an hour where all the angry freetards are asleep.

Sup Forums gets annoyed when it's purely about games or consumerism, this thread actually has an interesting factor of technology

hey Sup Forums am I saving money on shipping getting this? Looks pretty good to me

amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6Q2GSY/

Oh shit, I had one of those a good while ago.

Pretty nice to play old games and shit but the screen lasted like a fucking year. I mean c'mon.

pcpartpicker.com/list/L43LJV
Add an Nvidia card or buy used.

I heard rpi3b overheats. Is that really an issue or are the people where it overheats just idiots.
I plan to buy one and a case (no cooling) and just set it up for webcam screenshots and recording audio every 10 sec and making a amplitude-graph. (And sometimes for browsing through ssh or xrdp from work)

Gentoo.