ISPs using secret speed cap?

Is it possible that certain ISPs put a secret speed cap on most of their clients connection and only remove it if the clients start to submit error reports? I think it happened to me with Eastern-Euro ISPs a lot of times along the year.

Other urls found in this thread:

beta.speedtest.net
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on the country.
In portugal ISP's have to provide atleast 70% of service promised or else they have to give their customers their money back.

yes i live in 3rd world had to call them when internet slow, they always said unplugged cable modem from power source and suddenly blazing fast internetz

We have that too (altough it is set at like 10%) which probably meanst that ISPs here sold like 1000% of their real bandwith.

I like that policy. Im in Greece,and ALL ISPs put a speed cap "so there wont be any problems or dc's" - Im paying for 24 mbp/s , 1st day of use i had 12mbps MAX, after numerous phonecalls the response i took was "thats the max for your area, and we havent locked your line". After that I reported them to EETT (the head of all isp's here) and unlocked my line, got 19mbp/s, still was not happy bout that, so i modded the firmware in the shitty H108NS to get telnet (to play with the snr), put all the isp crap out of my router (THEY HAD 11 OS USERS WITH WIERD ASS PASSWORDS!!!! WTF), and changed the dns to one of my choice. Now i have 20.1 mbp/s and KINDA happy.

You won't necessarily get the maximum, because of infrastructure reasons. The isp is capable of offering that much but the path to your house might make it slower. Still, though, my isp offers 100mb/s and I get about 80-90 so I'm happy about that.

Yes thats correct, but at first wasnt happy at all with their service because my home to their center isnt even 500 meters in distance(measured by them with cable distance calc 1st day before they connect me), so i guess what im getting now is the actual max.

Looks like you guys dlike gay sex.

>tfw no speed or data caps

>tfw paying for 120mb/s
>getting 120mb/s 90% of the time
>drops max to 90mb/s

There is a stability cap that most ISPs use. Which is why your speed drops steadily if you unplug your modem on a regular basis.
You've probably been told, with a new install, that it will take 7 to 10 days to 'stabilize'? This is because the modem will ramp your speed all the way up, check for the number of errors, drop your speed way down, check for errors, compare the results then start ranging between those points and testing as it does so. After a few days it finds a sweet spot and locks it in. But if you cut the power for longer than a few minutes, you trigger this process over again.

This is why old people who switch everything off at night always have shit connections, and why everything goes to shit after a major power outage. Its also why you never get the speed you expect even on a fairly quiet line - even if you are the only user on that line, if the cabling is crap, and you have a noisy line, you will have a lower overall speed. Tends to be more noticable in rural areas where maintanance is patchy or cables run for long distances.

If you have a slow connection, and a high theoretical speed, check your wiring, filters etc, and listen to a landline phone. Get a really old analogue telephone (not cordless) and listen to the dial tone. The worse the hiss and crackle, the shitter your cabling is and therefore the slower your internet is going to work out to.
Additional users obviously increase the load on the line and slow you down too but you can be sitting on top of the exchange and have fuck all bandwidth because your wiring in the house is crap and introducing so much noise that the modem is capping you to maintain stability.

Where the hell do you live?

>no speed caps
Do you just download everything at the speed the server can upload?

I've never heard of this.
My contract is for 20Mbps but I get a tenth of that at best a lot of the time.

ISPs here in burgerland limit your speed at night because normies are at home watching Netflix and they need all your bandwidth for them.

>limit your speed at night
kek, you need a better ISP then.

That or it's not your ISP and it's at an interchange between your ISP and netflix servers.

150/150mbps for $65/month in burgerland, no data caps, and no throttling.

Ausfag here, how are my Modem stats Sup Forums ?

>$65
Our provider offers 350mbit up&down unlimited for 25€ a month

for less than 60€ we'd have a gigabit one

Why is it so damn expensive there?!

Look at the land mass of the US, then look at the Entire landmass of the EU.

Sweet

Yes.
Heavy User's bandwidth will be slowed sometimes when they are above a certain Limit.
The ISP will not tell you that if you ask.

If you take 1&1 as an example: sometimes you have to share one Internet connection with someone else and share the bandwith.
It's cheaper.

t. Former ISP 1&1 customer service guy

Canadian telecom is literally Judaism

and here i am using 2-4TB a month on 150/150mbps and it's always 150/150...

Getting 10G-PON upgrades next year and they're upgrading me to 300/300 for free.

My ISP does use a speed cap on all my internet activity, except for sites like SpeedTest. My ST will say I am downloading at 60mb/s but I have never been able to get it to download more than 5mb/s even after removing the speed cap through my router.

Did'nt said that every ISP has this jewish behavior.

I get exactly what I pay for. Pretty lucky

>Comcast

>get 30Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up
>upgrade modem
>no change in service plan
>speeds go to 180Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up
>Have seen download speed reach over 300Mb/s in short bursts while torrenting before being throttled back down to 180Mb/s
>Actually get full 180Mb/s downloads on torrents, no throttling

Feels good, I have their modem/router combo in bridge mode so the router on it is completely disabled, and it's hooked up to my TP-Link WDR4300 running OpenWrt. All cat6 ethernet cables and gigabit NICs.

What website/program is that?

I'm in the UK countryside at my parents house for the summer and we have 200 kb/s maximum speed. I can't play anything online I get ping spikes of 1000 ms that can last up to a minute, then I hover at like 200-500 ping.
Sometimes I can play at night with good ping but even then it can still lag.

They put up a fibreoptic pole in our village two weeks ago, but they haven't put the cables in or anything, haven't seen a single broadband engineer since they put the pole up. The fuck are they doing ?

In Australia at least im promised 10Mb/s but my contract says the lowest is 1Mb/s

I had a networking professor that also worked at a private ISP and his job was setting up speed caps to people who had used certain monthly limits, even when they had unlimited data plans.

beta.speedtest.net

beta.speedtest.net

Thanks m8s