Custom Android ROMs

What does Sup Forums have on their phones instead of stock android?

>or

Why haven't you upgraded to a more secure, private, organized and faster OS?

Don't you care that the manufacturer update system is insecure as fuck?

>inb4 appel shills
This is not your thread. This is about running a MORE open os and DEFEATING planned obsolescence.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7gukMzAQBSk
get.aospa.co/official/leo
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811
wccftech.com/how-to-update-t-mobile-galaxy-s6-to-android-6-0-1/
forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-galaxy-s6/orig-development/kernels-twisted-kernel-6-0-1-mm-5-11-16-t3377283
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2783157
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I run stock, but rooted and with a ton of xposed mods on my one m8.
The thing is that the stock is more stable with all those feutures that i use. I tried cm and some aosp based ones before but i just cant deal with the bugs.

CM12.1 with microG

Were you running a nightly or one of the more stable builds? I've never had any major bugs unless I was on the bleeding edge.

Yes, it was a nightly from the cm website and the other one was something called reconstrucion remix with it's own kernel and with a lot of features an suprisingly it worked better than the official cm

Xosp is pretty sweet

Stock on Nexus with a custom launcher.

I've done everything with custom roms, launchers, xposed modules, etc etc. It's boring and more effort than it's worth. With Nexus I get rapid updates and a smooth experience, Nova launcher gives me a bit more customisation because stock Android is slightly lacking on that front.

I'm enjoying Krexus on my moto g and nexus 7. It's basically slimmed down aosp. Nearly no apps, and only a few features, all of which are actually useful (to me). Then get xposed and mod away

Yeah the thing about nightlies is that they're basically automatically generated betas. They tend to work pretty well all in all but if you're having any problems it's usually better to go back to a stable version. Once you're running CM you can update without having to flash from recovery. If I'm gonna run a nightly I like to check with XDA to see if there are any incompatibilities.

Cant chance rom because there isnt any

What's the best system for handling app restrictions you've found? I found that xprivacy tended to crash apps without warning and the spoofing feature wasn't that helpful

So it's like the Xubuntu of android?

Running custom stock + custom kernel with xposed. Used to flash shit constantly till CM builds fucked up the data toggling.

I suppose? Except you don't have to tell people your using Ubuntu. And it's not running xfce, which I feel is the most important difference between xubuntu and Ubuntu...

CM13 right now but there is no stable build for my G3 and the nightly I'm running now has enormous battery drain issues. Must be something related to the mosem cause sometimes the cellular connection stops working and then it uses practically no battery at all.
I think I'll end up switching back to lollipop. There is no good marshmallow ROM for my phone.

Rooted OnePlus One on Cyanogenmod 13 Nightly

I'm rocking G3 too. Resurrection Remix was the only one I found was solid. (till CM fucked up) just used RR's 6/20 build + nebula kernel.

youtube.com/watch?v=7gukMzAQBSk

Using beta miui 8, it lags so bad I have to switch back to aosp

CM 13 +Xposed + microg.

Yeah I usually go one major version behind for stability's sake. The cool thing about CM vs stock is CM actually integrates security updates into the older builds. So shit like stagefright actually gets patched back to JELLYBEAN. It's fucking nice.

I'm running stock, rooted, and xposed with gravity box on my 6p. No problems at all.

Sane as few Xposed modules but nothing interesting

What do you use xposed for that CM doesn't cover?

M9, running ICE with that roms stock kernel
Think the battery is starting to give though

Not that guy but
Adblocker that actually works on YouTube and background playback without Red

Running CM13. I need some help tho. When trying to flash xposed through twrp I get ERROR: 1
Checked with online at it said that I do not have space in /system/ which I do.

Probably for FakeGapps (I also use microG)

Why not just use adaway?

MIUI gets weekly updates
Simply running the xiaomi.eu version, but not sure why.

Try using flashify instead

I just want something to escape the botnet with. I don't care about Gapps, I don't care about the Play Store, I want freedom. Does anyone have any suggestions that aren't CM?

Not sure how the youtube ads function, but Adaway doesn't work with it.

What phone do you have? You could install a decent AOSP build if you have a nexus..

What about spotify adds?

I run resurrection remix cynagenmod 13 on my Redmeme note 3 pro. It's pretty stable for me so far and battery life is about as long as MIUI.

I have a samsung galaxy s4 with and cm12.1 with the opengapps micro package. Also I replaced the aosp email app with K-9 mail and the stock camera with open camera.

moto g 2nd lte
rom: android ice cold project
kernel: halogen
has been running like total shit recently desu

There are a good dozen suggestions. What is it about CM that you don't like?

Nothing like a good indie distro

I hesitate so hard guys
Cyanogenmod 13 without xposed
Or
AOSP (i have a moto g 1st) with xposed

Official CM13 7-20-2016 + pico gapps+ SDK 26 xposed

Note 2 unlimited data verizon

I'd like to hear why people picked the distro that they did. If not CM than why something else? Was CM the first thing you tried?

CM was indeed my first dive in the custom ROM world a couple of years ago, but nowadays I'm using it because it's the only thing actively updated for my phone, and it runs well.

CM and Resurrection are pretty much the only actively developed ROMs for it, and Resurrection is a fucking bloated mess.

I'm a fan of Omni and Paranoid Android myself, by the way; if my phone had recent builds of them I'd install them without thinking.

There aren't any functional roms for my phone, so I have to run stock.
I installed Xposed today, are there any good modules for it?

What are you trying to do?
Also what is you phone?

I'm trying to get as much functionality as possible out of my phone since stock was pretty gimped. It's an Xperia M4.

Running a custom TouchWiz rom on my s7e because there aren't any aosp roms yet

Running MIUI on my LG phone

Stock supports secure boot and monthly security updates. Required to use Android Pay securely.

So yeah I run stock.

Gravitybox
Greenify
Swipeback2
Xprivacy
Complete action plus
Native Clipboard

I have rooted Z3 with locked bootloader, thinking about installing custom rom but each one over at xda seems to be some unstable rajeet crap. If anyone knows a STABLE rom for the Z3 that doesnt reboot, force close or has questionably working basic features, that would be swell.

my iphone 5 doesn't have this problem.

>This is not your thread. This is about running a MORE open os and DEFEATING planned obsolescence.

No need to say that, Apple users are more mature than that. We are don't get triggered by people buying a different brand. How pathetic would that be? lel

How are you getting monthly security updates? Are you just talking about google play services? For most android users updates come very late if ever. Android's broken update system is actually one of the biggest reasons to consider switching to a custom rom.

I only buy Nexus devices.

Just get Sailfish OS, you're one of the lucky ones whose device has a port.

But reallly , the Z3 has a decent amount of developers working on it, if CM and Paranoid Android aren't your thing, check out the Original Development section on XDA. The roms there are usually clean (no sound "boosters", placebo scripts built in, or anything like that).

CM only released nightlies for z3 and im not installing that, and paranoid android returns a blank page: get.aospa.co/official/leo

You know I really like how the nexus line fits into the ecosystem.

You have android at large which plays into the traditional carrier controlled phone system, where the carrier does whatever the hell they want in terms of customization, with the downside that they often don't bother with proper updates. Then you have Apple who creates enough demand for the iphone that they can force the carriers to take it as is with no modifications or bloat, which lets them force updates regularly with no interference. They leverage their demand in a way that android can't. Android could never enforce uniform updates across all of it's devices, but it does provide the nexus line to fill that niche for people who want it while still providing far more devices to choose from and freedom in how to use those devices than apple ever does. And if you want some specific feature or combination, you still have those hundreds of other devices to choose from, which I find pretty appealing.

And then there's windows phone :^)

I also own an xperia phone, and it has been in the nightly stage for at least a year now but don't let the "nightly" thing scare you; check the thread for the official CM version on xda and see whether people have problems with it.

But to be honest, switching to AOSP-based ROMs isn't really worth it. You'll lose your camera quality (unlocking the bootloader does that, but when you install those, it will become even shittier). The audio can also get louder and start being distorted at high volumes. For some people, even the battery life can go down.

So why exactly do people even flash custom roms to it? Don't get me wrong, I had custom rom on my previous two phones (HTC) but on Z3 it just doesn't seem to be worth it. I literally havent found a single rom that even claims to be like stock, but optimized.

One plus one on the stock COS 13.1, rooted and xposed with some plugins

How the hell does just unlocking the bootloader have any impact on camera quality? That's some dark magic right there

Camera DRM is stored on some "TA partition" that gets removed whilst unlocking bootloader.

Newish cm nightly for nexus 5

How did you get xposed and cm13? They're not compatible

That's only on sony phones - unlocking the bootloader wipes the TA partition (which has DRM keys in it).

The good news is that it can be backed up,though I don't know the exact steps for the Z3,

To the Z3? Maybe it's people who are used to the "stock Android" feel of Cyanogenmod. Or people who want more customization.

Honestly, if I had the Z3, I wouldn't touch it much besides rooting it (for AdAway). I like the stability of stock, and I wouldn't toy around with an expensive phone like that.

The only reason I'm running CM right now is for running software that requires newer Android versions (mine got abandoned at 4.2), and to avoid getting my ass hacked due to all those exploits being found recently. I don't care about "freedom" or "customization" at all.

Isn't that just a matter of flashing a .zip through your recovery and installing the app from the xda thread? I'm on CM12.1 myself, but there are also xposed builds for CM13..

I thought it wasn't compatible at all with the new framework (art is it? I forget)

Oh, that got taken care of long ago.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

I stopped caring about custom ROMs, root and all that stuff the day I got myself a Nexus 5x. Everything just works and I get updates the day they get released without having to worry about things breaking or not working perfectly.

What about all the ads?

Bone stock M9 here. Sense is an amazing Android offshoot, but I would like more control over my phone.

Recommend me a non-stock for a first time ricer? I'll be practicing on my old M8(also stock HTC sense) before I make any moves on my daily driver

I'm not sure on other phones, but it is working on my old MTKshit phone. Maybe the SuperSU issue.

Don't laugh yet, my primary phone is iPhone 6s (postpaid plan paid by the company where I work).

Now laugh.

I ran Android Revolution HD on my old One X and it was great, but that was years ago. Although it would only make sense to be better.

Firefox for Android + Adblock takes care of them whenever I'm browsing, and I pay for most my apps to both support the dev and to get rid of ads.

I actually just run a stripped down stock 5.0. It's stock in every way, it just has all the Sprint bullshit taken out of it. I never really felt the need to swap it out for CM when I got it since 5.0 is pretty comfy.

The only thing I miss is app permission management. I would kill for that in stock 5.0, I wish somebody would just write an app for it since I'm rooted, I would pay like 3 bucks for that.

Firefox runs terribly on my phone, and I prefer Google's sync functions, so I keep using Chrome on mine. As a result, I lose out on uBO.
In your case, sounds like you're fine yes.

If you can get xposed up and running xprivacy is decent

no Cyanogen for S6 T-Mobile. So I stayed on stock and rooted.

Last time I tried to get Xposed working it ended up soft-bricking my phone and I had to re-flash the whole thing.

wccftech.com/how-to-update-t-mobile-galaxy-s6-to-android-6-0-1/

forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-galaxy-s6/orig-development/kernels-twisted-kernel-6-0-1-mm-5-11-16-t3377283

I have stock android because there is no guide to root my phone (and I'm not good enough to jailbreak it myself from scratch).

my phone has better specs than any other entry phones back then (2 years ago). I will wait until my phone breaks or becomes too damaged before I buy another one but next time I will buy a phone I can unbloat.

Congratulations scout, you've earned the rank of tenderfoot. Now you get up, dust yourself off, and go look for a nice 500 page thread to find out why that happened so you can do better next time

I fell for the edge 7 meme, so stock atm. Will probably root soon though

>Custom Android ROMs
Yeah, I'd like to trust my phone with a rom some pajeet put up together.
Also, for the custom roms that aren't shit, you sacrifice your camera and I don't like that.

If it a MTKshit. Just use Kingroot, or Framaroot for really old MTKshits.

It's a huawei 302hw. It's my first smartphone and I accumulated quite a delay in knowledge over the years of having only a dumbphone.

I won't over estimate my abilities and admit I am unable to do anything "advanced" (heck, I don't even know how to uninstall google+) without a "beginner guide" Arch install tier guide.

thanks, i'll check this out.

How much was that phone? I can only find prices in yen...

If you just want root, not a custom rom, it's probably super easy. Like 3 steps in 2 minutes easy. Try going to towelroot.com and downloading the apk to see if it roots your phone.

My own flavor of omnirom

I bought it in JPY. I had a discount on it because I took a two years contract. converting to USD back then, I got it for $66.

I'll try the application you recommend. Before I do so, is there anything to worry if the process fails in the meanwhile (phone freezes or something like that)?
Should something happen, would it make my phone unusable or just as it was before I began the process?

Still hoping for CM 12 on my Elephone P4000

Atleast it comes with lollipop AOSP
Battery last for like 5 days easy

>DonĀ“t have the skill to port CM myself
>Kill me now

It comes with Mediatek, so little chance..

Yeah, I'm looking to port Sailfish OS myself, but I have never done any porting..

AOSPA bitches

No it's pretty harmless. If your phone freezes just reset it.

CM 12.1 on my s5 at the moment.

I'm considering switching back to stock though, I don't see much use CM compared to Stock aside from customization. Even then, I can just run an xposed module to redesign the shitty touchwiz dropdown.

Can you briefly explain how is this working? I am reading the thread forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2783157 as I type this reply.

I use Paranoid Android for my Xperia Z (yuga). Hopefully there will be a custom rom with Android 6 or higher that doesn't break the camera and stuff.

Kek. I had that link open in another tab. It's based off an exploitable weakness in the android kitkat kernel that affect most phones. Since most phones don't get updated very often, the crack goes unpatched. Towlroot uses that to take administrative control over your phone, and pass those privileges to whatever app you put in charge. So basically you download it, install it (enable sideloading if it's your first 3rd party app). You click the button, and in a few second's it's done it's thing. You then install the chainfire's supersu from the app store and it becomes like your phones administrator controls, and prompts you whenever an app asks for administrative privileges.

I want to root my S6 edge, but I cant find shit for it so Im stuck with botnet sprint bloatware.