How much better is DDR4 than DDR3?

How much better is DDR4 than DDR3?
Is DDR4 going to completely replace DDR3 very soon?

Other urls found in this thread:

eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1280577
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

evolutionary
yes, but ddr3 will be on the market for yeas to come

DDR4 has 288 pins and DDR3 only has 240 pins so it's 1.2 times as fast

Power consumption and voltages are the big draw IMO with DDR4, less stress on the CPU IMC is a good thing.

But there's DDR3 that runs at DDR4 speeds, i'm not sure of the throughput difference between them though, its probably not much.

Ddr4 will replace ddr3 since the newest CPUs work better with it

so yeah ddr3 is slowly going to phase out

I haven't seen the pinout. You sure the new 20 or so odd pins are all for data transfer.

It will take years for this to happen. Most people have DDR3 MOBOs and CPUs so the market is still there.

DDR4 is much faster, you can buy like 4000mhz ddr4 now, and pretty much fastest available ddr4 is 2400mhz. It will take years for ddr4 to replace ddr3, cuz pretty much there is really low demand for new PC's and ddr3 doesnt really bottleneck the system.

>fastest available ddr3 is 2400mhz
i mean

>tfw ddr4 sticks are cheaper than dd3 sticks

Less power for higher bandwidth, there are now tons of super low latency DIMMs available, and DIMMs will scale in density higher than DDR3 as well.
It'll replace DDR3 simply because new hardware will only feature DDR4 DIMM slots. AMD's socket AM4 and intel's new sockets will only feature DDR4.

There are dozens of 2800mhz+ DDR3 kits available, there have been for years.

This, near the end of DDR3 life we even see 3200mhz + these kits aren't even that expensive, but nether is DRR3. DRR3 and 4 are pretty close as of now.

do you need more than 3200mhz
will that increase your performance enough to justify the expenditure, more than switching to high quality SSDs

No if you dont have an SSD get one, its seriously one of the best PC purchases ive ever done. Its hard to go back to PCs with mech HDDs.

3200mhz is excessive imo, unless you want that benchmark e-peen,

2133 is perfect for my x79 rig and isnt too expensive.

I've got 1tb mech's in my desk and an SSD in my laptop which I use for software dev

>be developing with these guys
>they launch eclipse
>takes 2 minutes
>I launch eclipse
>20 seconds

I'm gonna go get an SSD atm for my desktop though. Anything I should look out for?

>There are dozens of 2800mhz+ DDR3 kits available, there have been for years.

Im a fucking retard and ordered 16GB, 2400Mhz from Ballistic until realising my Asrock B85 only has 1150 sockets ... so Im not sure if I should order a new motherboard, which is obviously more expensive, but my board is already like 3 years old or just return the wrong RAM and order the correct one this time, 1600Mhz or 2400Mhz, Im not sure.

I'm going to have to go with
>evaluate factors
>make a decision
>be an adult

Not really other than capacity. Even cheaper SSD are pretty bomb.

What cpu do you have? Because on x79 intel recommends 1600mhz but you cant use all the way to 3200mhz without issue, just needs some BIOS tweaks. Most DDR3 should work with intel cpus, the only ram compatibility issue i've ever had was on AM3+

Can use memory all the way to 3200mhz*

I have an i5-4670k - reminds me of actually trying to overclock that one aswell sometime.

>Not really other than capacity. Even cheaper SSD are pretty bomb.
what's the typical size norm for a gaming desktop, and what's the standard ratio of size to mechanical drive space

no way in hell i'm going all solid
i think 240gb should be good, ye? backed by my current 2x1tb (I'll up it later) my overall build's less than a grand

Dat Haswell, Most DDR3 should drop in, put it in and give it a try, it will probably POST.

Yeah i use a 256gb, for OS mostly and some highly played games, prices are lots cheaper than a few years ago, so a 500gb shouldn't be too expensive ether.

>Dat Haswell
Im very happy with it aswell, just not confident enough to fiddle with the BIOS configurations, despite everyone saying its easy as fuck to do.

Im also not quite sure how "big" the difference between 2400mhz and 1600mhz RAM is, over the years I was only paying attention to the amount of RAM I had and if it was single or dual channel.

Like i said, i don't see that ram not working, the IMC on Intel's newer CPUs are super, and it should just drop in and work.

As far as noticeable difference, you wont notice the change between 1600mhz in 2133 in normal applications, in benchmarks and some apps you will though.

When a new generation comes it packs more space and higher clocks.

Well ddr3 has 3 in its name and ddr4 has 4 in its name and 4 is a bigger nubmer than 3 and comes after 3 so obviously it is better and will eventually replace 3. Just as ddr5 will replace 4.

Whatever memory becomes standard after DDR4 likely won't be DDR. Totally different bus and signaling.

Where can I download DDR4 rams?

>Gaymer logic.

3 and 4 perform about the same, its not noticeable in most applications, higher density lower voltage on 4 but that's about it at current times.

ddr180 will replace ddr3 2bh

eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1280577