/mkg/ mechanical keyboard general

Mechanical Keyboard General
Ortholinear Massdrop Memefest edition
Anyone get a Planck this week?

Other urls found in this thread:

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1606
banggood.com/Anne-PRO-Blue-Red-Switch-RGB-Wireless-Bluetooth-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-p-1064055.html
massdrop.com/buy/ajazz-geeks-ak40-tkl-mechanical-keyboard
amazon.com/Aerb-Wireless-Keyboard-Multifunctional-3-Gsensor/dp/B00K768DHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469116516&sr=1-1&keywords=htpc remote
twitter.com/AnonBabble

do i need any adapters to put model m caps on a cherry?

You would need an adapter and it would make the stems super tall. Not sure where you'd get them.
Best bet is to look for a "pearl and pebble" set

For reasons unknown I thought it to be a good idea to order a CM novatouch ($133) and masterkeys pro L with brown switches ($150) at the same time.
They have yet to arrive, and I'm seriously considering cancelling one of them, question is, which one.
I like the RGB and programmability of the masterkeys, the numpad is not a necessity, but the L was the cheapest version.
The novatouch is by and large the cheapest topre keyboard available in the EU.

Any suggestions?

keep novatouch, cancel masterkeys

or just let them both arrive and return the one you don't like?

I'm only considering cancelling one to save the shipping (which is $20 bucks, as they want payment for return shipment!).

I've started to look into mechanical keyboards recently. As I understand it a USB keyboards polls the available keys to see if any have been pressed before sending anything to the pc, this limits the number of keys that can be pressed at a time and causes nkro. But a PS/2 does not poll and simply sends an interrupt.

1. Is that about right?

2. is there any difference between a keyboard with native PS/2 and a USB keyboard with an adapter?

3. Are mechanical made with PS/2 plugs or is an adapter my only opotion?

I just got a spaceFN layout set up yesterday with GMK, holy crap this is genius. Way easier than having dedicated function keys, especially if you're on a board with two spacebars already.

1. Yes
2. No, but your media keys probably won't work
3. Old ones have PS/2

There's no good reason to use PS/2 other than to free up a USB port.

>masterkeys pro L
can I open source it?

Probably not, but there's an SDK available.

>laptop keyboards for your desktop
I honestly wonder if there was some sort of concentrated effort to introduce some sort of chemical into common foods around the world to make people stupid over the last 15 years or so.

It sure would explain a lot.

EW,

>keyboard with a soc on it

i do not want to live in a world where your keyboard has a computer on it that cannot be checked to be working for me

>Anyone get a Planck this week?
still waiting on fucking DHL

Fuck massdrop for their shipping methods

Are Kailh Red's any good compared to blackwidow/cherrymx?
cherry mx red/black/blue (anything except brown) are more expensive here. Funny enough blackwidow ultimate is kinda "cheap" 2 times a G7NL tho (or 1.5x without fancy leds) but i never heard of tesoro, which is the cheaper mechanical keyboard i can find.

The comma on my current keyboard (some old rubber dome) broke an hour ago which led me to look up information about mechanical keyboards. I didnt even know the difference between the two until an hour ago, so apologies in advance.

Anyway, from my novice research I decided I should try one with cherry switches since I mainly just use my keyboard for gaming. Is there a particular switch you guys favor instead? Or a specific mechanical keyboard you enjoy for gaming the most? I was going to pick one around 60~90 bucks, but the prices on these boards are quite varied.

Which asus mech keyboard is best? I need something to hold me over until they release the Claymore

no

Go to your local electronics store that has a gaming peripherals section available for sample (best buy/fry's) i personally like the Logitech Romer G switches but quite a lot of people don't. Just do some investigating yourself rather than rely on stranger's opinions

Man go fuck you dude

no

just get any board in blues or browns
blacks are best imo but blues are a close runner up if they werent so annoying

Mine took a week from the time I got the update to ship to Tacoma WA. The top plate required a lot of touch up filing but everything else was good.
What switch did you get?
Cherry Red or Blue. Blue has clicks.
I have a razer black widow tournament edition that's affordable and I like it a lot for gaming. It has blue clones

>talk to university IT staff
>ask them if they throw out the dell keyboards that the university use
>wanted to dumpster dive and salvage one or 2 for myself
>they gave me a brand new one in box

It's not a mech but considering that I have been using a red switch for a good amount of time, I miss the clicking feedback and this dell keyboard is here to fill the gap.
I'm glad I know some IT staff and they are kind enough to give me one for free

90% mobo still have ps/2 why is that? I have them and never used them cause mouse and kb are all USB, feel like waste having the port there but not using it

Are there any TKLs with Dedicated media keys?
Poorfag here, trying to stay

They didn't all have that until mechanical keyboards became popular among gamers and they heard about PS/2. If you look at Z77 boards, only the gaming lineups have PS/2.

You seriously overestimate just how popular mechanical keyboards are.
Most better motherboards kept ps/2 connectors around, mine even has separate mouse and keyboard ports.

Just how cramped are your hands on an ortholinear? I find normal keyboards tight after using a split design and I imagine it would be even worse with straight columns, as comfortable as they are otherwise.

>Anyone get a Planck this week?
DHL has given it to USPS and USPS hasn't told me anything.

Modern mechanical keyboards use USB with NKRO. it's a solved problem. There was a brief stint where everyone cried for PS/2 but then it was discovered how to do it with USB and suddenly the connector is nowhere to be seen again.

I built it last night and have been AFK all day so I've really only got about an hour of typing time on it but it's not so bad as far as cramping. I'm used to using the wrong fingers for certain keys so it's an adjustment. I'm definitely going to move some of the modifiers around and add a capslock; those are the least intuitive part.
It's pretty comfy for Dvorak and I imagine colmak as well.
Writing on the keys with pencil helps me learn.
It's frustrating but it should be there in a week. Dang delays

s-someone?

hate to break it to you but i dont think those types of keyboards exist but i think the next best option is getting something like a qfr

Alright, thanks, user.

After finally getting media keys again, they ain't something I really want to get rid of.

That's good to hear for Dvorak, seeing as I use it too. I'm planning to pick one up in the next drop, but I have a few reservations about the design. It seems like it's begging for 13 columns rather than 12, that way I could put oft-used keys in the centre column, spread my hands out a bit more, and have return in a more standard location. I use right shift often, so your placement would not work that well. Then again, it could probably be placed on the thumb.

The ortholinear atomic might be a better fit for you then. I'm kind of wishing I'd went with that in some ways though the preonic is quite unique. The atomic is more like a standard TKL (though you can have a full 1u grid instead of having large modifiers, or any variation) but ortholinear. I'll update you as I get more familiar with it.

Has anyone ever received a reply from [email protected]? I'm beginning to think that they don't ever check that thing.

Thanks, the atomic looks glorious, a giant key matrix is exactly what I want on my desk. Hopefully it goes on sale some time soon.

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1606

yes?

>60%
>RGB
>Bluetooth
>Cheap

Why should I not order this?

banggood.com/Anne-PRO-Blue-Red-Switch-RGB-Wireless-Bluetooth-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-p-1064055.html

Took me about a week for a reply.

Ok /mkg/, should i?

>image.jpg

>60%
you answered your own question.

I need a 60% keyboard

I was going to go Pok3r 3 all pbt, but I see the RGB version is about to come out. But the RGB version has ABS keycaps. Which version to get?

>too stupid to use a function key

>needing function keys to use function keys
wew lad

no need to get so hostile when someone points out your shitty gimped keyboard is retarded, friend

what this guy said

>not owning a full size and a small size keyboard

i thought this was /mkg/

preach how poor do you have to be to not have at least 2 keyboards in your arsenal

>hasn't used a 60%

You think moving your hands to hit f keys is actually good?

Sup Forums, i need a recommendation on a small, quieter mechanical keyboard appropriate for office use

i'm coming from a daskeyboard ultimate that i cant use at work because it's simply too loud and distracting to my neighbors

please advise

more money spent on keyboards is less money spent on ammo

Who keeps a full size once they have realized better form factors exist?

i swapped out a 5pin DIN cable for a ps2 on some shitty rubber dome from 1993 (perf condition)

Everything went well but I realised an issue whilst navigating 3d environments using WASD keys:

>press and hold W to go forward
>tap D to move slightly to the right while still holding forward
>now W is not an active function, my finger is pressing the key down but i'm not moving forward

is this an old way of wiring keyboards? never knew about it

>shitty lite-on sk710-w or something

What's your budget?

anything up to 150$

I hate this keyboard so much holy shit.
My Cherry is the biggest pos. I bought a very used 7G and it's so much better.

Not even new keycaps fixed this flimsy flaming shit

Im sorry user youre too poor. Your only hope is Matias silent switches on a V80MTS or something.

Linears might be the way to go, but if you feel like your coworkers are tolerant you can try to find some good mx clear switch boards. I'd recommend the pok3r if you're going clear. For red switches there are a lot of options, so you should research that if you like the feel of them

>people actually paid 250$ for a plastic board.

kekekekekeke (anime old woman laugh)

I see wood, switches, caps and metal. Am I missing something?

I got a Vortex Pok3r a couple of days ago but the enter key is a different colour from every other key. Is there any other good mechanical keyboards at around £75 - £125 or should I just get a replacement?

The fact that it's nowhere close to $250

Probably an issue with KRO, your shitty old membrane keyboard can only handle so many simultaneous keypresses

>tfw I'll never be part of the meme because I'm too poor to justify spending hundreds for a keyboard and another hundred for a set of keycaps.

I am convincing myself that this is better than buyer's remorse.

How do I get into collecting mechanical keyboards? I have no idea where to start, or where to purchase non-gaming ones.
I currently have a blackwidow chroma which I got off a friend for $100, but it feels lacking and gimicky.

... You want to get a different keyboard because the enter key is a different color!?

I found a Cherry G80-1000 in the trash today.
near mint.
makes me happy.

Are PS/2 converters a Problem? (haven't had too many good experiences.)

Nice find!

I've never had any issues unless it's one of the shitty dual PS/2 to USB splitters

That's the only ones I ever knew

Considering getting this faggy looking thing as my first mechanical keyboard

massdrop.com/buy/ajazz-geeks-ak40-tkl-mechanical-keyboard

/mkg/'s opinion?

I want a relatively cheap, TKL/60%, ANSI keyboard in MX clears.l, with a standard bottom row. I was looking at the Ducky One TKL, which I found with 'Cherry MX Milk switches'- would it be safe to assume these are clears?

Nope, milk/white are not clears, as clears are non-clicky. Milk are clicky.

White Cherry MX (Chinese: Milk) switches

Clear Cherry MX (Chinese: White) switches

forgot this

It's not an hhkb you noob
Buy an individual keycap and be done with it
Buy a razer black widow tkl without the lights. Used ones will even have legit switches. You can get old model Ms for

Thanks guys. In that case I might have to go browns, or for a poker 3 with clears as I can't find any other UK based sellers with a clear TKL board

Given you're a britbong, the adjustment to ANSI shouldn't be too hard.
Good luck doing that if you primarily type a nordic language.

Should I order Vortex keycaps or am I going to get a box of misprints and broken keys?

If it's from corus, or corus on amazon: don't bother. They're hit and miss, with emphasis on miss.

>mechanical
>gaymen
A cheap membrane is enough for gayming.

Poker 3 MX clears

Yeah, I don't think I'll notice a difference, all I've used before is a shitty logitech iso membrane keyboard, I'll probably end up buying a brown TKL and if I don't like it I'll return it and get a poker with clears... Hopefully I will like it as the poker is like £110 over here,

What about mechanicalkeyboards.com?

> 89 posts
> no hhkb

what happened to this general

Probably one of the most legit dedicated keyboard sites there is.
I envy the english-primary speakers, who have a cornucopia of ANSI pickings.

that meme got boring

Ortho is the rising King of Memes.

yeah if i knew where the fuck mine was
DHL tracking says they gave it to USPS
USPS tracking says they didn't get it yet

I just ordered one. I'm not sure if it's going to be any good or not, but at that price point it's worth buying it just to see.

>Menards

My nigga

how's flyover life for you?

I own a home theater. I have a projector and a 90 inch screen in my basement.

Can anyone recommend a wireless mechanical keyboard that has a Trackpad or a TrackPoint built into it that could be used while sitting on a couch?

I looked on Amazon, but I couldn't find one that was mechanical.

What are you using it for?
If it's just going on your lap idk why it would need to be mechanical.
If not, get a separate mouse

initially, all I thought I would need was a simple interface to search Kodi, but now that I've had it for a few months I find myself using my projector screen to browse the internet. I have one of these:

amazon.com/Aerb-Wireless-Keyboard-Multifunctional-3-Gsensor/dp/B00K768DHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469116516&sr=1-1&keywords=htpc remote

But I'm using it to type right now. It's a pain in the ass for typing a lot of text. I guess I could use a rubber dome wireless, but those seem really cheap to me and I was hoping to find a wireless keyboard I could use while sitting on my couch. I have no desk or table to set a mouse on.

does anyone here use a full sized keyboard