Oh Android, what have you done?!?!

Oh Android, what have you done?!?!

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/android-and-users-freedom.html.en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fucked up?
it's so far from the vision of gnu/linux idfk why they don't just write their own shit from the ground up and get their cancer out of Stallman-domo's realm

Linux has nothing to do with GNU and can exist without it just fine.
On the other hand, GNU can't exist without Linux.

>On the other hand, GNU can't exist without Linux.
OS X is GNU without Linux

>OS X
>GNU
lol

>stallman
>ever calling it """Linux"""

fuck, I can't say anything without some bullshit. If I'd said just Linux, I'd get that damn copy paste message that I'm well aware of, and this time I get another message that I'm also fully aware of.

Well, that copy paste message is written by a self absorbed autist who insists that everyone, in the name of "freedom", must do things his way, and his way only.
Stallsham's followers aren't called freetards for no reason.

FREEDOM IS THE ONLY WAY YEAH

OS X doesn't use any of GNU at all

What is this supposed to mean?
Android is free and open source, and respects your privacy without proprietary Gapps installed

nice b8 m8

yeah i can hardly object to non-locked in distributions of android. just dont buy from a carrier, then you can actually utilize the device in any way you see fit.

sure, smartphones hurt privacy, but that is kind of the purpose of smartphones

>just dont buy from a carrier, then you can actually utilize the device in any way you see fit
Just don't willingly choose a carrier that fucks you in the ass, then you can actually utilize the device in any way you see fit.

OS X uses Bash by default, and I think has some other command line tools installed by default, but I certainly wouldn't call it GNU/Darwin.

Huh, I didn't think bash was part of GNU. My bad.

Most of the rest of the command line tools are from the BSD core utils or are Apple's own implementation though, and clang is used over gcc.

this

man -k gnu

Surprised no one posted this:

gnu.org/philosophy/android-and-users-freedom.html.en

Of course you wouldn't call it GNU/Darwin

It's GNU + Darwin

>On the other hand, GNU can't exist without Linux.
That's some bullshit and you know it.

GNU/Hurd and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD exist.

>Most of the rest of the command line tools are from the BSD core utils or are Apple's own implementation though, and clang is used over gcc.
It's definitively more FreeBSD than it is GNU

It's not GNU+Darwin, Darwin core is basically FreeBSD userland + some Apple stuff. If anything, it is FreeBSD/XNU

>Surprised no one posted this:
You're surprised no one bothered to post rms' opinions in a troll thread?

gnu/linux is nothing like android.

On android you don't fix your own problems.
You have to flash the phone if there is an error in the software and error messages are rarely showed.

The majority of the software is not free on android.
And when the software is not free, it depends on a slew of other proprietary libraries.
This means you have to go all in with proprietary stuff or none at all.
On gnu/linux, you can do a lot of things to protect yourself, you can containerize the application, you can control when it runs etc.

The interface to android is bad and it makes all applications on android bad.
Whether you prefer vi or emacs way of making hotkeys, all applications on gnu/linux is optimized for the keyboard.
You can do the task you want and it is fast and easy (sometimes you have to learn it before it gets easy, but they are generally meant to be useable).
This means people can input > 100 options and all options take the same amount of time to input.

On android you have one option.
When you want to use a keyboard for text input, you have to wait an obscene amount of time before the keyboard to show up, or you can press the huge buttons who will then do one thing.
This is why doing anything on android is horrible unless you do exactly what the programmer intended.

An example:
You are playing music.
You want to play a specific song, you click on the search icon, wait for the keyboard, type the name of the song, and then long press on the song, get the menu, select to add it to the queue and repeat.
This is so painfully stupid that people I know won't do this.
They would rather listen to spotify or the radio instead of trying to manage what music they should hear on the phones because the software is clearly not intended to be used for this.

On gnu/linux, people who use it would have fixed these things.
On gnu/linux people care much more about the user experience, some applications might be ugly, but they are at least useful.

>On android you don't fix your own problems.
Most people don't on Linux, either. Wouldn't know how.
I think you mean Android users aren't expected to.

>like linux
REEEEEEEEEE

Linux isn't free software since 1996 when Torvalds allowd the first binary blob in the distributions of Linux. This meme needs to end.

If you want a free kernel, get GNU Linux-libre.

It's not really free if it's just linux with propietary blob support ripped out tho
better go with GNU Hurd
oh wait it doesn't boot on real hardware
in 2016

RMS would say GNU, retard

Naaah Android doesn't use Linux, it totally uses some other type of Kernel, I think it was called KYS or something! No really OP is totally not a retard!

I also agree about the open and free part, how can I trust these binary blobs? I will stop using every single piece of technology from now on, which means this will be my last post here! Yeah take that NSA I know you're reading this right now!

I'm going to swim to the Amazon rain forest and live there forever. I would take a bus then a plane but they run non-free software.

goodbye cruel non-free world
(sage)

>On android you don't fix your own problems.

You are kidding right ? Unless you are not rooted, you can do pretty much everything on android, as, much as on any linux distro. Most of the gnu utils have been ported (busybox).

>error messages are rarely showed.
Ever heard of logcat and dmesg ?

Also keep in mind that pure android is open-source (aka AOSP), only some device specific binaries aren't.

And unless you don't know how to download an app, you can download open-source apps or make your own if you're not satisfied.

Android took a free kernel, built a free mobile operating system on top of it and extended that with proprietary Google additions.

Those wanting to build free mobile operating system can use the open source base of Android if they want to or they can just take the current Linux kernel that has vastly benefited from all the work done for Android and build some GNU/Linux mobile system out of that like Canoincal and Jolla are doing.

Overall great job from the Android team. It is the most free widely spread consumer operating system in history and their effort is bringing great benefits to all Linux users.

God I would love to beat his fat commie ass. I hate that fucking guy.

>Android
>Slow

That's because you're not using Rajesh Xtreme-Kustom firmware with Sayid's Nitro++ kernel

>Android
>Slow

Maybe because people use roms full of OEM crap ...

For of those who complain about the slowness, android is mostly written in java, unlike iOS which (i guess) is written in C.

But i agree with , Google made a pretty good job, even if far from perfect. Android can run on many different hardware and architectures (ARM / x86) and even if java is slower than C it's much more portable. ART still needs work for sure but can any other mobile OS run on such a wide variety of phones ?

I have a BlackBerry

Everyone in this thread can suck by blackberry-flavored dildo

Nothing good ever came form Canada.