What are your opinions on SAP in terms of career and job security?

What are your opinions on SAP in terms of career and job security?

> I currently work as a SAP ABAP programmer

Other urls found in this thread:

go.sap.com/corporate/en/assetdetail/2016/04/9e6909ee-6a7c-0010-82c7-eda71af511fa.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can't imagine anything I would hate more than being a SAP programmer and I would only do it if there were absolutely no other programming job available, but I guess from a job security point of view it's okay-ish.

I know what happened. All the people we asked for 'help' now want to know what's up so they are caving. Again. They will gladly cave to meet other peoples image but fuck me I get anything to go my way

Why do you hate it?

I don't know if I like it but it's maybe due to my own ignorance about other programming jobs. Although, from what I hear around here, they're saying that the pay is above average once I get good.

Are you an indian? Then great

I'm a Filipino that lurks Sup Forums every once in a while.

I heard that some SAP programmers were autists (for real, no troll) because of they capacity to stay focused on boring stuff. How true is this ?

I know some guys that are payed 100 euros per hour

I came across some ABAP developers who constantly talk to themselves. so I guess it is true

I can only do that shit well because I do is for like 5 hours and 2 times a week max. If that was my 9-5 I would go fucking nuts

I thought that this applies to all IT guys?
> I'm not autistic though.

So what now? Do you guys think that this job will still be good 5-10 years from now? Or should I think about switching to Java/.Net?

>ABAP

Only Sup Forums veterans will get this

This desu, there is a SAP office on my way to work and everyone that gets off at the stop is a panjeet. Also you're doing nothing interesting. Only work here if there is no other option and you need the money.

well, you dont need to worry for the next 5-10 years

i did some SAP fiori work with openui5. fucking shit. ended up having to quickly redo it all in angular. some of the stuff about version control and the webserver was arcane too.

> career and job security

i'm going to take a guess that the money was better back in the day, but now SAP has a bad reputation and isn't as agile or fast to develop in as other environments.

And here they say you're lucky if you get to work in SAP Fiori / HANA lol.

> SAP has a bad reputation and isn't as agile or fast to develop in as other environments
Well this is what I'm afraid of. I hope SAP won't become obsolete in the next 20 years.

Got the opportunity to start in a SAP support company, was blinded by the well paid position and future raises. one and a half years later i was close to suicide, it is such a boring, stale, infinite excel sheet of shit and the coworkers that have been doing it for ~20 years were extremely boring shells of a human being

So what do you do now? I just passed my 1 and half year mark and so far, I'm not depressed yet.

>ABAP
I am so sorry.

I work at SAP as a Support Engineer. I think my job security is pretty good given the product direction.

I'm not huge on programming either. US doesn't have a ton of development anyways, there's more of that in Asia and Europe.

There are a fair amount of Indians involved with SAP, but it's hardly fair to say everyone is Indian.

go.sap.com/corporate/en/assetdetail/2016/04/9e6909ee-6a7c-0010-82c7-eda71af511fa.html
tl;dr SAP has a hiring initiative called "Autism at Work" (I joined the company before it was a thing, and, no, I don't have autism).

ABAP has a dual meaning as someone who visits Sup Forums & other websites and works in the SAP field.

Money was better back in the day, if you have experience with niche skillsets right now you can still make mad money. It's still a job that can land you $100K-$160K a year (If you're willing to travel) but unless you have a special skillset you probably won't make $300K/yr anymore. If you aren't in the US or Europe and aren't traveling the money is not as good (primary support in particular typically doesn't make anywhere near what I described).

Fiori is the entire new interface paradigm for the entire company and the direction of the product is that essentially the legacy RDBMS based products will be sunset because you'll run against HANA. The really long term version is that all the different functionalities will be merged against one HANA DB so replicating data from ERP to CRM, etc. will become a thing of the past (removing the need for a replication process and saving on storage space). I feel very fortunate to be working with S/4HANA since that is where much of the innovation is happening.

Thank you for all that info. I guess I should aim to get into an S/4HANA project then. Any advise on how?

Are you
>working at SAP
>working at an SAP Partner
>working at a third party consulting company
>working at a company implementing SAP

If you're within SAP, you can look for an internal transfer. It'll typically require your manager's approval but that usually isn't an issue.

At third party companies, I'm not sure of the process, but most partners and consulting firms are involved now. (I'm seeing a lot of involvement from IBM in particular as an implementation partner on S/4HANA projects, but there are others).

If you're at a customer, unless they're getting ready or are in the process of implementing S/4HANA, then you'd either have to wait or look for a job at a new company.

>And here they say you're lucky if you get to work in SAP Fiori

maybe they are hoping that the javascript experience gained is a ticket out of the SAP world?

Met two SAP devs, both extremely introvert but not autist tier.

>from one world of pain into another

Isn't SAP this German software development company? I figured they'd pay really well. Germans are normally good about that stuff.

Shitty job or not, but at least the pay should be good, right?

as I wrote earlier, developers in Europe are paid from 60-100 euros per hour. consultants even more

acn?

The pay at SAP is good in the right positions. I'd readily go for a position in Europe or the US.

Benefits are pretty good too. Very competitive and reasonably priced medical/dental/vision with good coverage. 401K match is with Vanguard, standard match of 75 cents of the dollar for the first 6% of your income (e.g. if you set aside 6% of your income for your 401K pretax deduction, sap will deposit 4.5% match). Good bonus and share incentive plans.

That really depends. My billable rate (to customers) is somewhere in the neighborhood around ~$300/hr, but since I'm not an independent consultant, I don't get paid nearly that much. My pay is around $100K/yr, which is great considering my age.

guess you have to really like it. i am a freelance web & graphic designer for now. aint amazing but just a new focus

the consultant firms bill the customer with at least 200 euros

Much thanks really.

kek

you too? :P

I would really like to move to US if given an opportunity but since it's really difficult, I guess I'll just continue trying here.

Ayy a flip bro.
I'm working in Teradyne, Boston, MA as a sysad. I get the feeling we're almost as bad as Indians when it comes to stealing jobs but at least we can actually speak English without making it sound gibberish.

You fucking idiot pajeet think you can work on Hana? Do you even know what kind of C++ knowledge they expect you to have? It's not trivial, your fucking fizzbuzz won't cut it.

You will get filthy rich if you are good at development, dealing with retards, and are willing to travel.

I'm just a filthy analyst though, so I only do the retards part and am not rich.

Lol yea. I've experienced working with a few indians before and it literally took me months before understanding their "english".

About getting into the US, were you born there? If not, how were you able to move there?

>1/10

kek. I feel you because I live in the third world.

>About getting into the US, were you born there? If not, how were you able to move there?
Compared to SAP we're very small, and just recently we've insourced a fuck load of shit, so there were open positions all over the world for us.
I started working in our PH branch and was moved to US.
If you aren't in our headquarters, it is very common to be assigned there for 6mo-2yr periods specially if you are an engineer (training and shit).
For people in the IT department, it's a bit harder for a permanent spot in the US but a huge part of it is your project.
Moving is the easiest part as the company will do everything for you and all you have to do is to be present when needed, and once you're in your ass will be covered until you've sorted yourself out.

>tfw not autistic transgender prefer not to identify, "mixed race" with CS major and minor in Whoahman's studies
Guess I just didn't win the birth lottery that can get HR drooling

>working
>not developing your own app and making millions

Get good kids, I'm up to 100k right now with one app.

>good at development
technical development or development in terms of larger scale projects?

job/career discussion is not technology discussion.

go back to your consumer thread

I was a SAP programmer for 2 years.
Now I have T1 diabetus, tinitus, arthritis, eye floaters and jaw troubles.
I was a perfectly fine when I took the job.
Now I'm a wreck.
That job got me depressed 5/7 24/24

I'd rather kill myself desu.

I work with SAP people, we pay them 8000€ a day. One fucking day of development. The project is rated for 300 days.

I can't even fucking imagine why anyone up there signed that shit. I'm paid 60€ a day and my work is worth maybe a fifth of what they do. Not a fucking hundredth.

disgusting

Niche knowledge costs money, bro.
8000EUR/day/developer is still beyond absurd though. I'd love to know what firm sold that contract. The new hotness is implementation partners picking up fixed price contracts, then trying to fill them with as few resources as is possible and using every out they can to dump as much work as they can on others.

The company I do Deskside Support for uses SAP for all its orders and financial information.

We have a 50 man SAP support team divided between at least a dozen groups just to keep it working.

BASIS, Security, SNC, SRM, BI, BEx, BPC, FI, HCM, SD, ad infinitum. These are the only ones I can think of.

Oh, and while 20-30 are based locally in our home office, many of them are contractors based in the Phillipines and India.

Fuck SAP. seriously

>enterprise applications that have technical components that require a very specific functional knowledge to use & run correctly require people to support them
it doesn't matter whether you're using a product from Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, etc. these things require resources to support.
unless you're going to go with a cloud ERP that severely boxes you in on the options it offers for customization, upgrade schedule, and integration with other products, it's par for the course.