/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
### - /t/'s GNU/Linux Vidyo Thread
### - /t/'s GNU/Linux Vidya Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

robertspahr.com/text/x201/
pastebin.com/7Xzi8e2H
files.devuan.org/devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta.torrent
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Post_Installing_Arch_on_an_X200
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
techrepublic.com/article/the-truth-about-ubuntu-unity/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Where does he live?

should i use debian testing, opensuse tumbleweed, or manjaro

Should we make this thread in 0net as well?

why does this only let me install 32bit iso's? i can't take a screenshot with that menu open for some reason.

Specs?

Just choose "other". Seriously.

thinkpad x201 4gb 2.67ghz 1.5gb gpu. guess i'll have to emulate 32bit only?
"Other Linux (32 Bit)"

Where did you get the thinkpad?

from a guy in turkey. it was $215/650 ytl.

Are you currently running a 64 bit OS? I would go for a alternative for the programm you're using.

Trying out Trisquel for the first time and want to reset my password. Literally no string that I type in, no matter how scrambled, will yield anything but "Not good enough." There's even an option to generate an acceptable password but that just immediately closes the User Accounts menu.

What the heck do I do? Should I just reinstall the whole damn thing?

yes. xubuntu x64. you mean virtualbox alternative?

I had the same issue once when I tried installing a VM on Windows, I think I had to enable hardware virtualisation in the BIOS.

Yes.

not gonna have a good time with vms with that laptop.

i've got an x200 and didn't enjoy the little time i had virtualbox installed

shit, it worked mate. thanks for helping everyone.
inb4 image.jpg

go with tumbleweed

Manjaro OpenRC

I'm getting ready to install gentoo on my thinkpad x201.

This is my first time with a source based distro, and I made this choice mostly for educational purposes (felt for the >understand linux better meme)

I'm planning to follow the handbook as much as possible and this link for the config robertspahr.com/text/x201/

Any last minute advice?

Prepare your anus?

install gentoo.

The thread's speed makes me sad.

Reminder we have two threads on /t/ - Torrents

Training videos for GNU/Linux (torrents)
Ported videogames (torrents)
We need a thread on /vg/ for gaymers because year of the GNU/Linux desktop motherfuckers, here is the pasta
pastebin.com/7Xzi8e2H

I'd like debian on a 64bit pc without a windows manager (so I can choose my own and not have too stuff installed that I'll never use)

I tried to find debian minimal but there's nothing official? I heard about a server version? Maybe I'm not searching correctly.

Download Devuan files.devuan.org/devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta.torrent

I prefer to not wander away from the mainstream stuff. I also come from archlinux so avoiding systemd now doesn't make sense.

it's called netinstall

why is gpodder so slow?

want to like it, but it's just not good enough.

Yeah but why is there no mentions of it on the site? Is it a choice you make when you use the installer?

"I don't have either the time to debug systemd nor the inclination to touch that hairball".
Eric S. Raymond.

friendly thread so i won't yell at you, but i'll just say the info is generally for new people and they wouldn't know what to do with a netinstall option.

now you know, so move on with your life and enjoy debian.

I guess I'll start the normal installation and then redo it with netinstall.

Still isn't 3.7gib quite big for the complete install?

Does RMS disapprove SystemD? Source?

Where's the trash folder?

What file manager?

Anyways if you have xdg installed,
xdg-open ~/.local/share/Trash/

I'm not using a file manager

install arch with openbox and some minimum configuration .3 Gb of ram used, install chakra ram usage on idle 1.3Gb.. Any good alternatives?

Arch lxqt

yeah, you can instead download more ram

Why are windows users so obsessed about the trash bin? Every time I see a windows screenshot, there's a least a trash icon visible.

I guess this is the end of Sup Forums. /flt/-/fglt/ was the last good thread here, but the shitposts have taken over. R.I.P.

Just ignore them and participate when possible.

How much does things change from one distro to another?
There's no specific guide for the X200 for debian, but there's one for archlinux. thinkwiki.org/wiki/Post_Installing_Arch_on_an_X200

I junt want to know where it is
I'm not using a file manage so that means I'm deleting my files forever, right?

If you're using rm, yes.

You can't remove the shortcut from the desktop.

You are not moving to ~/.local/share/Thrash/ so yeah

What exactly are you looking for?

arch needs a guide.

most other distros have guided installs

and since thinkpads are used a lot, the stuff should all work for the most part

>What exactly are you looking for?

General advice, like making the trackpoint work (this point is covered more than once, so this is ok), maybe using the led?

If something's broken I'll be able to find info, but sometimes I didn't even know I could do that stuff. (fan controll and sensors for example)

>using latest lubuntu on my x200s since 3 weeks
>everything I need just werks
>do the recommended update
>now mouse cursos get invisible after lockin in

nice """"update""""

yeah been having some invisible menus after suspending my x200 too.

already have too much stuff on this, so sticking with it for now

Why Freenode and not Rizon?

do you all have jobs or something

Same thing happens to xfce. Go to tty with cntrl.alt.f1 and come back cntrl.alt.f7

> remove light-locker
> install xscreensaver
> set it as default in lxde configuration
> ???
> profit, but have an ugly locker

man is bloat

man pages are like

$ du -sh /usr/share/man
84M /usr/share/man

i've read most of the listed resources and while this is probably one of the most asked questions, what is a very lightweight yet functional distro? got a pretty shitty notebook yesterday and i want to use it for web browsing and some programming, mostly web stuff.

TL;DR i want a lightweight distro that is functional and does not look like ass

Debian/Devuan (as long as you don't use GNOME), Arch, Void, nearly anything will work well as a web browser. Just avoid the hyper-bloated DEs and the *buntus.

I need a GNU/Linux distro to use a live CD. Is Linux mint safe to install?

Correction, is it safe to use?

I just got myself a VPS.

Setup ssh keys and then created a new user so I could deactivate root login via ssh.

Now something's wrong with that new user. There's no home directory and when I su I end up with my command line bottom prefixed with ONLY $, as if there was no user name for it. setting up a password for that uer worked though.

I have no idea what to make of this...

>You can't remove the shortcut from the desktop.
Sure you can.

useradd -m -s /bin/bash -g users -G wheel newuser

Without -m no home directory will be created. Without -s the default shell will be used, which depending on the distro may be POSIX /bin/sh rather than bash (or whatever shell you prefer).

If you prefer stability over security, yes. Mint needs to block so major updates to work.

thanks, but what's up with group "wheel"? it doesn't exist on my machine.

You won't "understand" Linux better by installing Gentoo. Installing a distribution won't teach you anything about the kernel. Reading the kernel's source and following the mailing list might.
Neither will you learn more about "Linux" that way compared to using other distributions. The very fact that you somewhat seriously use the word "meme" shows that you might be an idiot.

Cool. I just need a liveCD to test to make sure my wifi card works before installing slackware and my trust got broken after the website got hijacked.

It's free software licensed under the GNU GPLv2. He doesn't disapprove of it.

I suggest you don't use your computer at all. That way your RAM usage will be really minimal.

His only concern is if it's free software or not, he won't care about details like if it's using systemd or not.

Is Linux Mint a great option?

The trackpoint should work out of the box. Instructions how to tweak it apply to all the distributions the same.
Fan control: just leave it be. It will work automatically.
Sensors: just install lm-sensors and that's it.

You know what I implied : not in a straightforward way.

>This page was last modified on 11 November 2010, at 07:52.

Some distros name the group 'sudo' now but 'wheel' is a sexier name.

Either way with default sudo configuration that's the group of users who are allowed to use sudo.

No. Showcase distros suck and are insecure. techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

Yeah : ok

Probably not the best for a shitty netbook, but not the worst.

>implying the hordes of lusers he mentioned could find such a setting

>techrepublic
The same people who think Ubuntu Unity is cool.
techrepublic.com/article/the-truth-about-ubuntu-unity/

If all I want is a quick liveCD to use, is linux mint good?

Hey, if Hammad Rafique can find it, it can't be that difficult.

Alright, thanks.

STill got the problem that when switching to that user I get s.t. like an empty user :/ doesn't even ask me for that users' pw

Yes it works, on archlinux I just needed some scripts to make the scrolling work.

There's nothing newer anyway.

Oh man, I thought newuser was a group. So I created newuser instead of the intended name

What "scripts"?

>There's nothing newer anyway.
I didn't read everything on that page, but just seeing rc.conf made me turn it off. SysVinit isn't used in any modern distribution and certain not Arch or Debian (the ones you mentioned).

mine are 30M

Hey guys, I'm the user from yesterday that was having trouble getting SSH from a public IP working. I still haven't succeeded and wanted to repost my problem in case anybody has any ideas.

Situation: I have a desktop in my local home network and a laptop. I'm using port 7851 as my SSH port on my desktop. I have cleared the 7851/tcp port in ufw and on my modem/router (ARRIS TG862).

When SSH'ing from the local network, everything works peachy. But as soon as I put my laptop on some external network (for testing purposes, my cell phone's internet), when I try SSHing through my network's public IP (which according to the router/modem rule should be forwarded to my Desktop's local IP), it times out.

I ran nmap in my local network and saw 7851/tcp was inded open, but running nmap from the outside network the laptop's on, it says it's "Filtered".

How can I go about fixing this? It's been driving me nuts.

Thanks very much in advance for any ideas you could provide!

Ok so I've logged in via publickey multiple times to my server. It worked well so I turned off password auth.

Now I get permission denied when I try to login with the publickey.

wtf

It sounds like the router isn't forwarding the port still.

Does the router have both "virtual server" and "port forwarding options". Some routers seem to use virtual server as a synonym for port forwarding while others seem to have both options with nearly identical descriptions.

How to block internet access for a specific program? Does Linux have personal firewalls like on Windows for this job?!

i was going to install debian but it looks like shit.
as i never used linux, is there stuff i can do to make it look half decent?

This one has both a "Virtual Server" tab (which is the one in the previous screenshot, that claims it's for forwarding email ports, FTP ports, etc, so I figured SSH also went in there) and a "Port Activation" (not called forwarding for some reason) tab which only asks me for an inbound and outbound port range and whether it's TCP or UDP. I have made another rule for it there using 7851. Still shows it as filtered.

I also found these other two tabs. I don't know if they could have anything to do with it?

42M /usr/share/man

42M is nothing on a 20000G. Besides, man is comfy.

Hello user. First things first, I'd advise you take on a more friendly attitude if you wish people to help you out.

Second, you will soon realize that you can make any GNU/Linux distro look however you want it to look. And any two distros can look exactly the same if they're using the same configuration options, DE's, WM's or whatnot. So saying "Debian looks like shit" is the equivalent of saying "this motor looks like shit" when judging the beauty of a car.

>i was going to install debian but it looks like shit.
Don't worry familia, I used to think that as well, but the difference between us is that I actually searched for shit. Install qt and gtk themes to make it better.
I'm on xfce and have:
gtk2-engines-murrine
gtk2-engines-pixbuf
kde-style-oxygen-qt4
kde-style-oxygen-qt5

from the top of my head.

Would you care to show us what you saw that made you think it looked like shit?

Did you see a GNOME desktop? KDE? XFCE? LXDE? Using tiling WM's? What?

uh well sorry for being rude, definitively didn't mean it. and thanks for the help, i'll give it a try