Building a Server - where to start?

Hi Sup Forums, I'll have some /disposableincome/ in the near future and want to set up a home server.

I primarily want to use it as a fat file storage and for backups, but also want to be able to set up neat things like a Website or E-Mail on it later - I only want to be able to do that first, going to teach myself later.

So I'd need a flexible system, most probably going to be some distribution of (GNU/)Linux.

I have no prior experience as sysadmin.
Where shall I start to learn?

Ubuntu Server

Look into making secure admin accounts
Learn about ssh and basic networking principles

>Ubuntu Server
maximum kek
Use RHEL or CentOS like a sane person OP.

Gah it's about the same, Ubuntu gets your feet wet a bit more with the community a d guides out there.

I personally like FreeBsd on my servers as well

For web hosting, just get a VPS. You can't match their internet speeds with home internet.

Op, you dont even know where to start, you should start with something smaller.

Get some kind of raspberry pi, set it up with raspbian lite, configure nfs/samba shares, email server, get two pendrives in there and play around with mdadm raid.

Once you are comfortable with it, you will have an idea how to set your main server up.

I am in did exactly that, i set up small integrated intel atom board with two raid1 hdds and right now im looking to expand.

What would be good board/server that will not ruin me, but will give me an option to connect at least 12 sata HDDs, and is relatively cheap?
What kind of hardware are Anons running for large home storage?

>relatively cheap?
*relatively quiet

I already have some Webspace somewhere, it's more for local testing and "being able to work with it", not for setting up sophisticated Web Services.

I might also want to give FTP Access out to some friends in order to share chinese cartoons, but that's about it.

I came here to get this exact discussion.
There's many a server OS out there, the only one I know from work is Windows Server 2008 (yeah.) so I'm totally blank on that. I did work with a Linux machine once, but only basic shit and some commands in bash.

What's the core difference between CentOS and RHEL? I see one is an evolution (?) of the other, why not just use RHEL?

>secure admin accounts
>ssh and basic networking principles

thanks for this, looks to be a neat starting point. On the hardware-side all I should need is a LAN Cable, a second PC stacked with drives and a networking card and I should be good to go I guess (?)

>Get some kind of raspberry pi, set it up with raspbian lite, configure nfs/samba shares, email server, get two pendrives in there and play around with mdadm raid.

To be honest, that sounds like an awesome idea. Can those things run any OS? would be inclined to just run RHEL or CentOS in order to get used to it beforehand.

>Can those things run any OS?
Any os that supports ARM processors.
I belive you can run centos on arm, but there is way more support and guides for debian and ubuntu arm flying around the internet.

Best to start with FreeNAS op.
This is a goof fs os. Teaches you a lot about file servers. Then jump into Ubuntu Desktop. Then Ubuntu Server, after that try arch

>try arch

Sup Forums taught me not to trust you people but i'll read up about FreeNAS anyways, thanks

XPEnology.

get the fuck out tripfag :^)

Just get a cheap computer (an IBM Thinkcentre will be good too), install Debian and LAMP environment, also your choice between owncloud or nextcloud and you made a web server that will serve you 24h/7

>LAMP
>P
spotted to clueless looless poofest

Install HTML

Are ready-made NAS solutions any good? Thinking of purchasing the QNAP TS-853A or Synology DS1815+, both 8-bay systems.

For cloud storage or just as its called Network Attached Storage.

They are more expensive and you get limited with their stock features and few plugins.
For 700$ you could build a system with ecc. Or get a used server if you dont mind extra noise and power consumption.
>SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-O
>E3-1225 v5
>16GB DDR4 ECC KVR21E15D8/8
>Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
>SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 32GB
>Chieftec GPM-550S
>NZXT Source 220 Black
Install wmware, freenas (with access to raw hdds), pfsense (firewall and vpn gateway), generic loonix containers for other stuff, and even windows container with gpu passthougth (you could connect to your tv or use as headless steam in-home-streamiong server)

Thanks bro, appreciate it. Putting something together myself seems to be the better option indeed.

thats much money for no storage. would be cheaper to buy some used parts from ebay and buy drives with the money saved

CentOS is the community fork of RHEL, they're essentially the same OS, but one costs money. CentOS is ridiculously easy to learn and use, along with the fact that it has an immense amount of community support. Everything you can do on RHEL you can do on CentOS, they're both bleeding edge

Get a banana pi pro, if you don't like being a sysadmin you haven't lost much money. Mine hosts my home web server. It suits my needs. I have it running "piratebox" I modified it to suit me needs.

My university uses Mint on (at least some of) their servers, so go with that.