/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

mocom.ru/Wallpapers/ibm.htm
kijiji.ca/v-laptops/city-of-toronto/lenovo-thinkpad-t420-i7-2-7g-1600x900-wifi-bt-fp/1183757332
tp.krelay.de/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for x230 master race.

2nd for old wallpapers.
mocom.ru/Wallpapers/ibm.htm

Third for muh T430

Do most thinkpads suffer from very dim displays? My X60t is barely visible on its brightest. Don't remember it being this dim when I put it into storage. Was thinking of getting a X201t as an upgrade.

>if i post it every thread somebody might answer

which is the best linux distro to dualboot on a thinkpad t520?
I am very new to linux and am only transfering due to w10 concerns. I am not a nerd and will need some time to adapt so don't hate pls.

anyone?

win 7

Microsoft BOB

nah, you see, I want to switch to a linux distro.

In my future work I might heavily rely on this OS so I might as well start ahead of my colleague competitors.

I will use w10 with all normie stuff on one boot and linux with all "le 1337 h4XX0r" stuff on the linux distro.

A colleague suggested linux mint. is it any good?

I can't afford this right now, but this looks like a pretty solid deal if anyone is interested in a Nvidia T420.

kijiji.ca/v-laptops/city-of-toronto/lenovo-thinkpad-t420-i7-2-7g-1600x900-wifi-bt-fp/1183757332

My x61t is a bit dim compared to my x220t
Both at max brightness, x220t on the left, x61t right

for the guy from previous thread:
sorry, went to sleep
lenovo - 9.17.10.3347
intel - 9.17.10.4229

That is a hella difference. Might actually consider getting that x201t. I I had the screen replaced anyways so don't know it that might be the problem. Thanks for sharing that photo.

The old ones do because they're CCFL backlit. They started switching to LED backlights sometime around the --00 generation.

I know I'm definitely in the minority but I actually prefer the CCFL backlights. I spend 11 hours a day working under harsh LED lights, last thing I want when I get home is to be blasted with more of that out of the one thing that brings me some amount of enjoyment in life.

Use f.lux, it really helps.

Is there any advantage having the Nvidia NVS 5400M over the Intel HD 4000 on the T430 for light gaming? Let's say Portal 2 and stuff like that.

CCFL and LED backlights ALL lose brightness over time

Performance will be slightly better. I doubt it's worth the additional heat and reduced battery life, though.

Battery life is not a concern, but I can't say the same about heat, will it be running a lot hotter?

At the moment I have a T61, that I had to buy on a budget, now I have a little more money and I'm looking at T430/T420 laptops, and I ask this because I like to play not-to-modern games, maybe the most modern would be GTA IV. Would the T420 be able to handle it, or the T430 would be a better option?

is it worth it to buy a t60 for $50 for shitposting and anime

What TrackPoint caps fit for an Elitebook 2570p?

Makes sense. i had it since 2007 so it did dim harshly.

I am Like I said, I have a T61, and I can confirm that it's enough for Sup Forums browsing. It can get a bit on my nerves when I'm trying to load flash content or browse facebook, but simple websites and videos play just fine. For 50$ go for it.

thanks for your input

Bought a """"refurbished T420"""" that turned out to be a L440 from Groupon, should I return and get a T420 instead?

what the fuck do you think? Why would you let someone pull shit like that?

yes

Just wanted to know what the difference was, I still have a week and a half and I didn't spend that much so I'll probably start the return process soon.

T420 is at the bottom of the high tier. L440 is at the bottom of the bottom tier. A budget "Thinkpad" from the worst generation of Thinkpads. Get your money back.

Alright thanks, are eBay and Amazon more trustworthy sites to buy them from?

Not sure about Amazon, but ebay will side with you and get you your money back if anything is not as listed. Make sure you buy one that has real photos and not just stock images, those are never a good sign.

Why aren't you maxing out games with your thinkpad RIGHT NOW?

Name my new T420 plz

anyone have a t440p with one of the quad core i7s? what are the temps like?

Because I'm saving for a thinkstation D30 with the dual e5-2670 meme.

Memepad

Of course. This was just an alternative to SharpKeys. It also works anywhere, in case you bought a not-ThinkPad for some reason.

how far back do i have to go for a thinkpad with a non-backdoored cpu that respects my privacies

you can shitpost, but using for anything other than 4channel is pretty painful.
just save up a bit more money and get an x201/t410.
I mean haswell is pretty nice.
too bad it's an L series that are cheapo.
>maxing out games
>laptop cpu
even with my old 4670k I was struggling to play some games without the cpu running at 60-100%
and that thing was super overclocked

>cpu
>game bottleneck
No. You might lose 5 or so fps, just that.

I gained almost 20 fps in gta 5 going from my oced 4670k to a similarly clocked i7 4790k
so yeah, there's a huge difference in the real world (not sterile benchmark land)

I've been reading the buying guides and whatnot about getting an x220. The guides I found had varying prices for one, bottoming between 150 and 300. Searching on ebay brings up dozens in the 150 range.

Any verdict on a reasonable(neither the bottom nor the top) x220 price?

CPU is definitely a game bottleneck, though it's more about threads than single core performance these days. My T601F+Advanced Dock setup chokes like a bitch in Metal Gear Rising even on the lowest possible settings. My W520 has a weaker GPU and it handles the game just fine at 1080p. Most other games perform very similarly between the two laptops, it's just a few cases where two threads is simply not enough.

That seems odd.

expect to pay between 200 and 250 for most x220s
obviously the $200 ones will be bottom of the line x220s, and the ones for ~$250 will be the higher end ones.
what's usually the best deal is to get one without ram or hard drive for $100, then buy new ram and a 256 gig ssd for ~$100-150 more and have a killer thinkpad.
that's because you are used to looking at benchmarks online where they kill all background tasks.
they don't have anything (like a youtube video or skype) in the background.

47th for one day fhd 430s. I need to be more brave

Does anyone have a genuine 9 cell battery for T420? For how long can it go?

8 hours of light use.
brand spanking new 70++

I had a brand new one for my t410
I got about 10 hours of doing light work (taking notes)
and like 6 hours of browsing the internet.
then about 3 hours under decent load (heavy multi tasking when I forgot to plug in charger)

How can I find the screen resolution of a thinkpad with the product ID?

Katyusha

tp.krelay.de/

Time to push for it to be put in the OP again.

Thank you user!

xXxW33DxXxS34LxXx5nIP3RxXx420xXx

While you're at it, name my T400

how do I get past this stupid bios password

Give it back jamal

Throw it out the window. Congrats, bios password gone.

This kills the thinkpad.

Who comfy at work here :^)

It's literally impossible to damage electronics using a method like that.

>he uses a non square thinkpad

>not using small taskbar buttons
Nigger what are you doing

Sorry bois work pc, its locked down to the shithouse

Can you boot from USB?

You can't even right click and get to the properties of the taskbar?

Tried to so I can image it and install Linux. But the BIOS is Locked down too unfortunately

Goddamn, try this method and see if you can remove the password.

>telling him to fuck around with a work laptop
that's a nice way of getting him fired.

>tfw waiting on my W520 and 2x 4337 docks

If he's a valuable asset to the company he shouldn't get in too much shit for it.

Yeh nah wouldn't risk it, thanks for the guide anyway sure it'll come in handy for some old thinkpads one day

>tfw t420 is on its way

I wonder if it is as bad as getting meme'd into doing starting strength or reading infinite jest

Where'd you order yours from? You can't trust Groupon apparently.

jewbay obviously

nah, this is like doing a PPL from the get-go
going strong for 6 months with no regrets

I know, I was just pretending I knew what I was talking about.

ebay. according to the guide i got it cheaper than the typical BIN price. And this one had a better CPU than typiically found

what's the best thinkpad i can get for $600 or less?

ebay and/or craigslist/local craigslist alternative

>can afford $600
>buying thinkpad

Thinkpads are only good because they're the only decent laptops you can get at such a dirt cheap price.

t440p with 1080p ips screen and i7-4900mq + ssd

Don't forget the keyboard swap

W520/W530

Can't keyboard swap on --40. Were you thinking of the trackpad swap?

Yes, the trackpad swap. I wouldn't wish lelnovo's *40 series clickpad even on my worst enemy

metal gear rising on a w520? really? what gpu? how many fps?

>doing a clean install of Windows 7 on my x220
>downloading and installing updates causes crazy hot temperatures and fan to go full speed

Is this normal

Post comfy memepads.

Quadro 1000m, didn't measure FPS exactly but it was playable at 1080p. Turned all the settings down though. Could likely pull 60FPS with a lower resolution, but I hate the blurriness of non-native resolutions on LCDs.

Windows update would always use 80% of my cpu no matter what.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
Install this manually, then run Windows Update again and it should actually find the updates.

Just finished updating anyway, but drivers weren't included apparently

What drivers do I download off Lenovo's website? There's a fuckton of em

cool, im looking at a w520 with

>1080p
>i7 2720qm
>4gb of ram
>1000M
>500gb HDD
>looks like new
>380usd

one w520 with
>i7 2720qm
>4gb ram
>900p with scratches
>500gb HDD
>1000M
>307usd

i mostly want to see media not much gaming is the 1080p screen is much better?

Just picked up a pretty solid looking A21m. What's something like this worth?

ill pay $10 plus shipping

Yes, the 1080p screen is great for media. Definitely get it over the 900p one.

I payed $10 for it haha. Was kinda hoping it would be worth something :/

just list it on ebay for $30