Battery myth

>don't let your battery below 25%
>charge it slowly
>disconnect your smartphone when your battery reach 100%

Are all that things old stupid fucking myths?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rNTSBjuK_7g
youtube.com/watch?v=brdmnUBAS00
batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I bought a new battery for my N4 after 2 years and i don't feel any significant difference

Those used to be true.
Nowadays there's microcontrollers that do that for you because people kept fucking their batteries up and giving bad reviews because they don't know how to battery properly.

Laptops batteries should not be allowed to flatline regularly, you kill the life of them that way.

I always thought you're supposed to use a full cycle everytime.

Charging it slowly is not a meme.

Unplugging the phone when battery reach 100% and plugging it when it is below 25% are memes.

Source : I am an engineer.

in the same order, afaik:
>No, but don't let it completely discharge all the time
>Nope, but try not to overheat it, especially if it's a chinese knock off
>the onboard circuit in your battery leaves it at hte floatig voltage, you don't have to disconnect it
Most of the myths come from older battery types, not Li-ion

How do i charge it slowly?

Keeping a fully charged battery on charge can cause it to explode if left long enough

I find it impossible to believe that letting the battery deplete then recharging it repeatedly can possibly be better for its long-term capacity than having it sit at its full charge.

A battery operates based on a reversible oxidation-reduction reaction. As the battery discharges, oxidation frees electrons used in powering hardware. Charging the battery forces the less favorable reverse reaction in order to regenerate the chemicals required for the oxidation reaction that provides the necessary electrons. No reaction ever goes to completion, however. Each charging cycle leaves some products remaining, and fewer reactants are available to supply electrons for future discharges. Therefore, it is best to minimize the number of charge cycles. I leave my phone plugged in when I am at home or work.

>How do i charge it slowly?
Only put the plug in halfway.

That doesn't happen in modern devices.

>letting half the charge go out into the airwaves polluting them
reported to the police

Easiest way is to use the usb plug on your computer.

Using the charger that cames with the phone is also safe. Just beware when buying Chinese.

>stupid fucking myths?
My wife's son told me a way to boost my wifi speed. I told him he was full of shit.

But then I tried it, and it worked. Now I don't know what to think.

youtube.com/watch?v=rNTSBjuK_7g

This must be bullshit.

Fucking this
shit drives me crazy when I see people doing these things. There are microcontrolers that take care of all the things needed to properly condition and use the battery.
The microcontroller never lets the batter get fully to 0% hence why you can sometimes turn it back on after it shuts off...even if it wont turn on there a good chance there is still a small amount of charge, just not enough to turn on.
There is no reason to disconnect at 100%..the micro-controller lets it fall between ~95% and 100% and lets it float there, indefinitely..avoiding the issue of needing to disconnect.

Just plug your phone in whenever you feel like and dont worry about it.

Dont store battery fully discharged. You may kill it by overdischarge.
>charge it slowly
Its mot a myth.
Dont keep battery fully charged unless you need it. Optimal storage voltage for liion is about 3.8-4v, eg about 80% of charge. Anyting above shortens battery life.
Btw this do not apply to your everyday smartphones and laptops. They will last for 2-3 years anyway and then just become obsolete.

>Work at a cell store
>Coworkers always telling customers they shouldn't charge their batteries overnight because that kills it
>Have told them numerous times that's not true anymore with newer batteries
>They've received emails from other coworkers explaining it's not true
>They don't listen and go on to explain their pointless phone charging rituals that prevents their battery from being damaged by charging
>Realize the whole world is like this, filled with misinformation and people too stubborn to accept truth when presented with it
>Begin to doubt everyone
>Wonder what other stuff I'm being lied to about and don't even realize
>Start to doubt life
>Existential crisis

You should reconsider your life if you're working at a cell store.

>letting the battery deplete then recharging it repeatedly can possibly be better for its long-term capacity than having it sit at its full charge.
Who the fuck recommends that? That's retarded. If you know you're going to be using your laptop on AC power for an extended period of time, you charge the battery to ~80% and the take it out. Both leaving it at full charge and constantly discharging and recharging are horrendously bad for your battery.

Honestly, batteries aren't something that people should have to think about.

I may know how to charge and discharge my batteries properly, but I don't want to expend the effort of keeping track.

>I am an engineer
how's sucking cock for a living working for you

>>charge it slowly
this is valid

>>don't let your battery below 25%
also valid, more or less, you should just not kill it to zero, but the same could be valid (although to a lesser extent) for 100%

>>disconnect your smartphone when your battery reach 100%
this is just stupid

Well shit

not everyone has a laptop with an easily removeable battery, but I completely agree that would be the best way to keep it healthy. At least that's what I've read.

cut one of the plugs off and it will charge at 50% speed

>>don't let your battery below 25%
>>charge it slowly
This is correct for Lithium based cells.
Li-ion and Li-Po based cells only clock up charge cycles when they are discharged below ~30%. The lower the cell gets, the more wear it endures.
All batteries are susceptible to heat and heating them above ~40'C causes wear. Charging them quickly causes them to heat up, and makes them wear faster.

>>disconnect your smartphone when your battery reach 100%
This doesn't matter for Lithium based cells.

Does the first charge need to last hours and hours still?

I never let my battery drain fully in phones that don't have removable batteries.

I've seen phones refusing to turn on after being plugged in to a charger too many times after a drained battery.

His whole channel is satire and made to confuse dumb people.
>I'm a tech enthusiast who likes to make weird stuff that confuses people.

>I've seen phones refusing to turn on after being plugged in to a charger too many times after a drained battery.
This happens on a lot of battery-powered stuff. It's usually not a battery problem but a controller chip problem.
Fixing can mean removing all power and then holding the power-on for 10 sec.
Then reconnect power and try again.
YMMV

this. windows will not charge at 99 percent when plugged in. id post a pic but im on fedora right now which is horrible for laptops(i woke up and my laptop was depleted).

saying this, i purposely deplete my battery sometimes.

Theres a ted talk based around this, I think it was something about cheating, but it had a part where the guys nurse thought taking the bandages off quickly was better and refused to do anything different

Settings > Accessibilities > Enable fast charge
>nope

These are the sorts of things that were worth doing with old batteries, particularly nicad batteries, they don't apply to new lithium cells

so I should disable the asus fast charging software that came with my motherborad?

I've had my current laptop for a year now and almost every day it run two complete discharge cycles. That is completely run out, recharge, completely run out the recharge overnight. That's around 700 cycles already and the battery life is still about the same as when I got it. pretty good desu.

>all the overvoltage "quickcharging"
>non removable battery
enjoy your planned obsolence.

80% if you want longevity.

You guys are stupid as fuck

2/3 of those are completely true, and the third is partially true.

Charging below 25% degrades the cell quality and will reduce endurance in the future. it's fine to do it once, but don't always drain it completely.

Charging slowly also keeps endurance high. Rapid charging is harmful to batteries. Using high current (2A) will damage the battery quicker than using 0.5A

The third one isn't true anymore because smartphone firmwares know enough to not keep charging when it's full, so they'll let it charge up to 100%, the let it sit for a little bit, then charge it using low current until it hits almost 100 again, and so on, but you should still not keep it on a charger.

But it's not like it matters. This advice is only helpful if you plan to keep your smartphone over 3 years, which is none of you are anyway

no that's an old battery myth.

>>all the overvoltage "quickcharging"
>>non removable battery
>enjoy your planned obsolence.
overcurrent, not really an issue if the phone and battery are designed for it. also
>not having the skill to replace the battery anyways

>use electrical tape
>electrical tape conducts electricity better
stopped watching right there.

Prepare for the cringe then
youtube.com/watch?v=brdmnUBAS00

What laptop? Otherwise, calling bullshit.

Shouldn't matter much, but if you want to store lithium batteries for a longer amount of time, they should be between 40 and 80%.

lenovo 100s

I thought that laptop had good battery life with the Tablet Atom CPU. The Asus version lasts 16 hours on a charge.

this one is more like 8 hours. it's tiny.

Post your hwmonitor stats.

This is true for Lithium Ion batteries.

I bought two Galaxy Tab S. One for me, one for my girlfriend. She always runs hers down to 0%, I never let mine get below 20%.

A year or two later, the difference between them is staggering. I had to buy her a battery pack because the battery doesn't last at all.

And just to note, I use my tablet more than her, I just make sure i charge it in between.

>charge it slowly
This one is still true. If you charge it fast it'll heat up and reduce battery life. It really depends on the amps though.

>The microcontroller never lets the batter get fully to 0% hence why you can sometimes turn it back on after it shuts off...even if it wont turn on there a good chance there is still a small amount of charge, just not enough to turn on.
As long as it's above 3V per cell, it'll turn on. 3.3V is usually the voltage batteries will report empty on meaning you still have 0.3V worth of charge. This is done because once it drops below 3V the battery starts getting damaged and might die for good.

Charging it constantly means you're not using the battery dipshit. It has nothing to do with dipping below 25% or whatever magical number you people come up with.

>Using high current (2A) will damage the battery quicker than using 0.5A
What about devices that don't even start charging at low currents?

You actually shouldn't let your battery get low whenever possible. The way cell cycles work in lithium batteries, this eats more cell cycles than charging from higher percentages..

Here's a link for more technical info.

batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Maybe don't use your device while it's charging?
Although 1A seems to be the best ratio on speed and battery lifetime.

Some laptops have a BIOS option to set an upper limit to percent charged. Should be standard, especially for use with docks.

>just the tip

>use my phone like once or twice a month
>always forget to charge it
>battery is at 0 when i need to use it

fml

Full cycle was recommended for NiMH batteries.
Lithium-based batteries need to remain partially charged at all times, to avoid voltage inversion in the cells (which destroys them), aside from faster wear-out when fully cycling them.

I use two batteries, one at charger with maximum 150mA of current, the second in the device.
When the remaining capacity drops below 50%, i swap them.
I'm using this technique since 2013 and the batteries are virtually not losing any capacity by now...
I think it's the best I can do for them.
>not using the charging battery
>chaging slowly
>not dropping below 50%
>profit

>"Don't forget to let the phone charge over night before you first use it"
Never done this as of late and I notice zero difference.

Wow, with all that effort, you can use your $5 battery for 2 more years than normal! Profit Indeed!

Lol

>be me
>use provided 4.5A charger
>battery completely dead after 1.5y
>manufacturer doesn't sell replacement batteries anymore
never again.

>>use provided 4.5A charger
The battery takes the current it needs; the charger doesn't force current through the battery.
The current depends on the difference between the VOLTAGE of the charger and the VOLTAGE of the battery, and whatever internal and external reisitances exist along the charging path.
The current capacity of the charger only applies to the maximum current the battery can draw.

Fuck off reddit

Just buy a new phone every 2 years

how fucking poor are you pajeets?

I've been using my laptop with the battery in it and plugged to AC power for many years and didn't have any issues with battery life. I can still use my laptop on battery power for several hours whenever I need to.

Misinformation is spread everywhere. Many people are mentally lazy. Far too many people just assume certain things they know are true without realizing where they got their information from.