Edward Snowden’s New Research Aims to Keep Smartphones From Betraying Their Owners

theintercept.com/2016/07/21/edward-snowdens-new-research-aims-to-keep-smartphones-from-betraying-their-owners
pastebin.com/MBg82a28

Where were you when Snowden stopped the botnet for good?

Other urls found in this thread:

bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=4782
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Good luck Snowden. There is only one phone that does this and that's the OpenMoko.

snowden please don't start shilling shit I still respect you

the only safe option is to not own a smartphone period

i thought Sup Forums knew this

The hardware hacker that's helping him is as of today suing the Feds.
bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=4782

It was really funny, I found these two articles on two different websites inside of an hour. without trying to.

Sup Forums believes that if you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide. And then they use Windows and Adobe while using Tor at the same time.

hello shill

Hello friendo. Would you care to tell me any other phone that's as friendly as the OpenMoko?

>last update was 2011
lol

OpenMoko is shit.
I owned FreeRunner 2.
It uses standard blobs in radio module.
It's not safe to use.

Cell networks are too useful. He's aiming for the journalist market.

EM shielded bags are one thing, but that doesn't prevent giving up GPS data when you're using it.

That shit is pretty useless, the phones are tracked by triangulation. Once your simcard authorizes itself in a cell you're found.

If you can prevent your phone from being identified, you can get away with a lot more.

I don't know how much identifying info it sends out, but if you can buy a prepaid sim with cash you should be completely free from tracking.

>If you can prevent your phone from being identified

You can't. The simcard has to send an id, otherwise it won't be able to identify in the network.
It's not about smartphones, a nokia 3310 works the same way. I remember people being bombed by phone triangulation since the early 90s. Israel first used it in 1993 I think.

You can still hide in the population if you're using a sim card that is from the same source as the general population.
If they don't know whose phone it is, they can't do anything.

Fuck that traitor, anyone who listens to him is a retard.

Of course, edgy anonymous is far more trustworthy than Snowden.

Well, they don't randomly pick a phone.

Here's how it goes - a list of your possible contacts and interests is created, then a phone that calls/messages these contacts is pinpointed.
Then it's captured by triangulation.

All these terrorists Israel and Russia used to bomb used anonymous simcards too.

The only way to avoid it is to have a bag full of simcards and throw them away after each call or message.

>lying to congress is okay
>telling the truth is treason
NSA pls

You can still totally use encrypted and obfuscated communication on cell phones, though. It's a pain and uses more resources, but it's perfectly doable.

>Hey, here's a guy using an encrypted connection. He's the only one is the whole area. Must be our guy.

Isn't the point of the device just to check if you're not still sending signals in airplane mode?
It doesn't try to magically make you anonymous on a cell network.

There are actually ways to obfuscate messages in plain text with dictionary words now. They aren't very secure if you have someone look at it, but for mass collection it works great.
The obfuscation of who you're sending it to is also pretty trivial. Sending it to a server to forward it to its destination is an option, and using common encryption e.g. https is also possibly enough.

How could this be used by terrorists?

P.S. I love you Snowden

Did anyone see Muinch (2005)?
It shows the paranoia you basically need to have to not be killed.

Enjoy sleeping in your closet.

>1972
things have changed a little
still sounds like a good watch

fuck whistle blowers they should be purged

>a literal nobody
>designing hardware

If you're dumb enough to put this shit on your phone then you're just giving away your info to both the NSA and Russia.

Snowden would have made a passable trap imo

>buy this product
>get sniped by a CIA nigger
Yeah, no thanks.

enjoy er kgb backdoor

How long until Russia trades him for $50 and some potatoes?

The blatant shilling in this thread is ridiculous. I see JTRIG is still alive and well.

sailfish OS => jolla ?
ubuntu touch ?

>working for the NSA
>have some concern about the mass surveillance they practice
>decide to speak about this issue with superiors
>special force come and raid your house with guns

That actually happened to some guy working for the NSA. Whatever snowden did, he was screwed anyway

so is there no fully free as in freedom phone?

The point is you will have someone looking at all the info you send if you're an actual person of interest like a journalist or a drug lord.
For example Chapo used one phone a day with pre paid simcards for years until they managed to infiltrate his inner circles, from then on even if everyone was changing their phones everyday they could still pin point them cause they knew which cell towers they were using and since they were always calling pre paid cards and one or 2 numbers which used the other identified cell towers, they correlate those numbers with the numbers they called and they get a whole contact list with cell towers.
Cell phones are bad Opsec cause you still largely depend on the other people you're contacting to keep a good Opsec.
You're better off with a laptop and a mobile satellite internet modem in those kinds of situations.

No
GSM needs blobs by design, most cellular standards need blobs to work at all

Gas yourself degenerate.

if that's the case, would it be possible to create a phone that is completely FOSS?
I'm tired of android being ios with a file browser

Snowden got legit lucky, he might be in a shithole in Russia, but at least he keeps a IT job instead of flipping burgers and wasn't tortured like all the people who did the same before him

They don't usually respond to most privacy stuff nowadays and just slide with whatever, but sometimes they do answer for old times sake

> using tor in Windows... hahaha

If it relied on WiFi to do calling/texting it should be completely possible
Just not today in a phone size, since pretty much every SoC out there needs proprietary drivers and other blobs

O fugg, that's the guy behind the open-source laptop!

Kinda wish he'd write more about that shit, like for people who aren't that good with electronics, let alone the whole not having EE PhDs from MIT.

>putting that on an iphone is a good idea
its like putting a wall around you when the enemy has air support

since it's used by most journalists
fuck you

Literally fucking snake oil. What the fuck does it do, just clip onto the phone and magically mask your location and identity?

It isn't real yet, but presumably it will detect what signals your phone is sending out at a hardware level, which is much better than relying on software switches and notifications.

Hopefully they expand it to detect NSA hardware/firmware backdoors as well as your cellphone radios. Snowden knows all about those things and they scare the shit out of me.

>only on iphone 6

Care to explain your viewpoint instead of shouting insults? Let's learn through discussion.