/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

If I move a file from my HDD to a USB stick, can I recover my file without the USB stick, using a file recover software (undelete)?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811119265
youtu.be/DnC1mqyAXmw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

New GPU came in the mail and I'm postponing install until a new mobo comes in. I was looking at the card and found these two contact points labeled OC and OCP. What are they for? I couldn't find anything from the manual or on Gainward's site. The card is Gainward Phoenix GTX 1080.

Yes

OCP = Over Current Protection

Recommend me a e-book reading program

Why does my computer turn itself on at 4:33 P.M. everyday? When it's turned off, no matter what, it will always turn on then, if it's not turned on already. This just started happening last week. And yes, it just happened 5 minutes ago, in fact, it's what woke me up.

are there any Android browsers besides Chrome that can do that thing where your tabs are integrated with your recent apps (or whatever you call the rightmost button on the navigation panel?

How did Ulbricht get the drugs he sold on Silk Road ? Was it just an ebay-like website where independent sellers put their dope to sale ? Who was in charge of the logistics (ie, who packed the dope, shipped it, how did it go through customs ...) ?

i have wifi router thing connected to a pc. how can i slow down the internet on that pc, so that the other devices that connect to the wifi are unaffected?

What's the deal with x265 codec ?

DirectWrite is aids, what's the best competitor for chrome these days?

Extremely small file sizes for a noticeable but small tradeoff in quality.

qos

I have an ssd/hdd combo running in my pc right now.
i'm gonna be putting the ssd with another new ssd for raid 0, and putting the hard drive in a brand new pc.
do you guys recommend steps on clearing them for installing into separate PCs?
thanks

I currently run windows in a VM that uses IOMMU for PCI passthrough, which runs on a linux host.
I was wondering how exactly you hook up a VR headset to a computer. From my understanding, it has a dvi or displayport connection for video, and for motion tracking and such has a USB connection. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to have to actually install windows just to use VR.

Can you test if a psu will blow up/start a fire/create smoke etc. by just plugging it into an outlet and turning it on without any components attached? I got a smoke smell in my room and I'm trying to figure out if it's the psu but I don't want to damage my other components or start a housefire.

If you own both systems then there is no real reason to wipe it as you'll just overwrite them as you use it.

If you want you could reset the ssd to default(cell reset). DBAN the hdd if you're giving it to someone else

if there's no load on it you can't test it

Which is the best GPU i could get for $150 or less from Amazon? I was looking for a GTX 950 but i'd like to know if i can get a better alternative.

>why $150
Because it jumps to $250 with shipping and customs fees.

>why not a high-end card instead
Gonna use it for an eGPU setup so it's going to be bottlenecked by the slow expresscard lane, also shipping fees would skyrocket.

RX 480 or GTX 970?

Conditions

1. The computer is running Windows 10.
2. The cracking needs to be done remotely. No physical access.
3. The user is using only a limited user account all the time. Never logged in as an administrator.
4. The user will reject all UAC prompt windows asking to enter the admin password.

Is it possible to infect this computer without triggering the user account control (UAC) prompt window?

What's the smallest ATX case that can still fit an MSI 390?
Looking at this guy: m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811119265
I do a lot of video projection work and getting sick of lugging my fuckhuge tower out, don't wanna build a new system for a while so stuck with what I have now, Gigabyte gaming 7 mobo/4790k w 212evo cooler/MSI 390

Would testing it with anything functional be good enough to see if it's fucked or do I have to connect the mobo and cpu to get a higher, more realistic load?

you could always hook up a fuckload of delta fans, but that would only test +12V

if you think your PSU is making magic smoke, you can always remove it and smell it

Can a computer get Alzheimer's?

Calibre

When I update my Nvidia graphics drivers, the Geforce Experience window keeps popping from the background. Why the fuck is it doing this?

No, Alzheimer's is a degenerative brain disease, computers do not have brains

Not yet. They don't have neurons, yet.

It was like eBay. People would sell their own drugs, and the owners of the website took a cut of the profits.

what's a decent program for mounting disc images (windows) that isn't full of bloatware and PAY ME ads?

I just tested it and apparently the fan's dead. Off to corsair I guess

Just installed Windows 10 as a fresh install on my old laptop.

When ever I try to shutdown it would restart again.

I've tried:
1. Updating via windows update
2. typing "powercfg -h off" in cmd as admin
3. turning off fast start in the power options
4. using regedit and changing a value for

i use Daemon and I haven't been bombarded with ads or pay mes while using its freeware option

I overclocked my FX-8300 to the default turbo voltage and clock (4.2ghz 1.37v).

I ran a stress test for 10 minutes, no BSOD. Am I stable and good to go?

>10 minutes
An hour minimum

Hey guys, what's the easiest device I can buy so I can watch .avi,.mp4, .mpg, annd .mkvs that I have on my computer, on my TV without plugging an HDMI cable into my computer? Thanks.

Cool, I'll run it for another hour.

Should I be concerned with the undulating temperature readings?
The software says it's going from the 4.2ghz clock to 1.4ghz (what).

Not really use HWMonitor if you are worried.

Hey Sup Forums, I'm in the market for a new video card to shove into my toaster. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a gtx 950, but I'm wondering if I can get a good deal on cyberMonday. How were sales last year?
>amd pls go

should i be worried about the Trans-Pacific Partnership? ive seen propoganda for both sides but have yet to actually read the bill (planning on it) and i want to know if what youtu.be/DnC1mqyAXmw implicates will really come to fruition.

RX 480 is actually good, get the sappire version.
If you really want to get a old gen card get the GTX 950SE the one that uses 75W rather than 90W.

Third world country?
No.
Murrica?
Yes.

First world?
Yes.

>Third world country?
>No.
>Murrica?
>Yes.
>First world?
>Yes.
oh no. should i write letters to my congressmen? how effective can that be?

I hear a little electric squealing sound around going in and out that matches the pattern of the temperature readings.
It's coming from my PSU.

Should I be concerned? It's a 600w 80+ EVGA PSU, it was refurbished.

Wont work
Obama refuses to see that black lives matters is a terrorist organization. He lists bullshit reasons why, and basically says white people are at fault and we need to bend over to the niggers

You cannot put ANY faith in the US goverment anymore.

They dont care, they will bend over what they want and throw a NSL on those who disagree

Sup Forums please leave

If it were effective something would happened when we first found about it and everyone tried.

Yes you should be worried about it.
Why would you buy the most important part of your PC refurbished?

sounds like coil whine. it's normal when components are under full load.

I'm definitely not buying used graphics cards anymore.

I bought a used video card on eBay. The recommended power wattage needed is 500W but I have a Corsair CX430M PSU in there. Immediately upon installing it I had pic related. It's not the cables or my monitors, I checked. Very likely It isn't a driver issue as it affects the BIOS. It looks like a gpu hardware issue, but I'm not 100% sure. I bought a 500W PSU afterwards to make sure and it's coming in a few days. The seller (offering no returns)is claiming it most definitely is my psu and I'll needs "proof it's broken before I'll offer returns". I sent him pic related, but I need your thoughts. I have no friends with gaming computers so I had to buy the PSU and I'm a poorfag. I'm not knowledgeable of these problems but I really think this is a GPU issue. The bars Cary depending on what resolution I set too. I know it was a bad idea but what can I do for now to prove to eBay it is defective? Or maybe it's functional and is my PSU's fault? pls help Sup Forums. That $100 is a fuckton for me.

Is there any way to disable cache in Chrome?

another pic

>Why would you buy the most important part of your PC refurbished?
idk lads on IRC told me it was a good idea

the sound is now gone, although the CPU is still fluctuating between 7-21 overclock multiplier

Ultimately, do I run a strong risk if I'm keeping this at 4.2ghz? Otherwise so far I seem stable.

where the fuck can I find an LGA771 or LGA1366 dual cpu motherboard that supports SLI?

>I bought a used video card on eBay.
Why? for something people say "no returns".

Try using DVI if you are using HDMI.
Which card is it?

>Ultimately, do I run a strong risk if I'm keeping this at 4.2ghz

With a 600w psu, I'd only see you having trouble keeping it going if you're running multiple gpus, a shit load of peripherals (hdds, ssds, lights), or your psu is shit and not actually rated for 600w

for evga doesn't the sr-71 support dual cpu? only one I can think of that could possible do that and support sli at the same time. gl finding one for a reasonable price though

it's actually an Evga SR-2 1366 mobo

>Obama refuses to see that black lives matters is a terrorist organization.
okay what does that have to do with the creation of trade acts that potentially undermine food safety, medicine costs, and internet privacy/freedom? obama has very little to do with the cration of law and in less than a year a new shmuck will have the same very little to do. they are a speaker to the public, commander-and-cheif of the military and they sign laws into effect. hes not allowed to DO anything other than asking congress/lawyers to do something. he cant COMPELL anything. read a fucking book faggot.

what about FUPA? wasnt that trown out under similar circumstances?

take out your RAM

any syncthing users here?
I'm having a bunch of "sync conflict" files pop up and don't know why

I'm a poorfag. I wanted to give my "upgraded" old computer to my brother as a late birthday present with something not too pricey. It was a 270x for $100. I tried to save some money but yea I realize now it's not a good idea to buy used video cards with a no return policy. The two pics I listed were seperate monitor's DVI and HDMI.

The DVI screen is blinking black randomly now. Maybe it is the PSU?

>RX480
What part of poor do you not understand

A $220 videocard counts as a budget/poorman videocard.

Had laptop charging on bed, kicked it off on accident. Fell on the charger and now it won't charge at all. The plug on the end of the charger is bent to the right so im curious if anyone has any ideas on how i can fix it

Welcome to the botnet friend.

Not really, since energy supply problems only would appear when the card is under load rather than idle.

Charger is kill.

disable wake timers in your settings.

disclaimer: if you're on botnet 10, this will not prevent windows from waking itself to update, but it will prevent other programs/scheduled tasks from waking it

Go to buy something that is $100 cheaper then amazon and newegg.
click link to checkout
>LINK BLOCKED ADD TEMPORARILY OR GO BACK
>temp
>cannot find server
>hosts file blocking

Do i give up my freedoms? I mean its $100 over half of it cheaper

WinCDEmu

Should i upgrade from Win7 to Win10?

No.

I have a fucking 7200 RPM hard drive, why is this taking so long?

Because either your CPU is shit or your HDD is damaged.

My CPU is definitely NOT shit, how can I check if my HDD is damaged?

Check SMART data.
(Speccy>Storage>SMART).

Weird, everything looks fine.
Well the installation seems to have sped up, it should only be a few more minutes.

There is nothing wrong with your HDD, maybe just random stuff happening that is making the install take some time.

Can i buy a cheap camera and use it to record 24/7?

Like a cheap security camera?

my uni dreamspark account was disabled for the summer but i need a windows 10 key

where 2 cop? or which activator should i use

Does anybody have any experience with the Phanteks Eclipse P400? How is it? I've heard that the air intake is kind of bad but everything else is solid, is this true? And is the airflow a deal breaker?

How can i run vms on linux? I want to run other distros via a vm

I've got everything except the PSU , should I start to build the new rig ??

>psu might come as early as tommorow , or I will have to wait until Monday

Sure why not?

But also, you have to wait anyway, why not wait?

Are you installing the game from the same drive it is located on ? that usually causes a huge slow down.

Which one of these methods is the best one to reapply thermal paste on a laptop cpu?

Can anyone recommend a laptop as a secondary computer? I'm thinking about getting a Toshiba Chromebook 2 but I'm not sure how much I can do on it without internet access. What I would like to do on it is type up documents, light development, and watch Chinese cartoons without streaming.
I heard about someone here who bought that case and got 90°C temps on their CPU or something. When I read that, I bought the Define R5 instead.

If they're ISO, pretty sure that functionality's built into Windows since 8/8.1

help

B.

What's !1184?

C

QUICK LADS WHAT'S A GOOD AND FREE AS IN FREEDUMB EASY TO USE PROGRAM TO ADD SUBTITLES TO VIDEOS

How do I create a keyboard shortcut on mac to open the terminal?
Pic related, does not work.

Yeah, I'll pass on that. Alright, going down the list then.
What about the Phantom 410?

Off of a clean install of win 7, win updates has been scanning for updates for almost two hours now, I know it takes a long time initially but this seems very long.

Assuming it stays this way overnight what should I do?

Scanning or updating?

Launch Automator and create a service that receives no input from any application. From the Actions Library, add the 'Launch Application' action to the workflow. Select the 'Terminal' application in the drop-down list of Applications. Save your new service and then assign a keyboard shortcut to it in:
System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Services

Scanning, I'm getting about 40% cpu activity and 4ish gigs on ram so it seems to actually be doing something

I dropped my laptop and somehow damaged my HDD. Is there anything i can do to salvage my data?