/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s Videos
- /t/'s Videogames

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
pastebin.com/7Xzi8e2H
ubuntu.com/
pastebin.com/rVwjEX9L
youtube.com/watch?v=DzY5Y6vBo7k
github.com/attnam/ivan
youtube.com/watch?v=guMgUiqgW-w
youtube.com/watch?v=icyE-S1NKIQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Friends
Hi friend

Thoughts on KDE Neon?
Trying to figure out why this was necessary when Kubuntu exists.

Beginner distro recommendation. Mint failed to instal last time I attempted shattering much of my faith in Linux.

My old standby mandriva is long dead.

I'm afraid I've been out of the Linux game for awhile and do not have A lot of time to relearn or deal with complications these days.

So what do? Was planning on building a system based around an fx 8350 and an rx 490...what's steam like these days? Has wine improved much? What sort of complications may I encounter?

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

because kubuntu wasn't bleeding edge enough, always lagged behind

Ubuntu is the answer. It has full support for gaming, and wine is good. Look at the pasta for GNU/Linux gaming for more pastebin.com/7Xzi8e2H

How are drivers These days amd wise?

Just try in to get away from Windows and the creepy telemetry.

Is dependency he'll still a thing? Is there a copy I can buy with some customer support?

Can't tell you much about amd drivers, dependency hell is not an issue in Ubuntu and I think Canonical provides technical support.

Thx...guess I'll try installing that when I get my build finalized.

"Ubuntu: The leading OS for PC, tablet, phone and cloud" ubuntu.com/
Soon.

Eww no thanks.

Ubuntu isn't a bad distro. It works well for the average joe, comes bundled with usable software and pretty much does what 90% of all users need from an OS.

And with Valve pushing Linux support more and more, gaming on Linux isn't what it used to be. Sure, my rig still runs Win7, but the support is getting better day by day.

And if you want to get a "better" distro, feel free to play around with Debian, Arch, Gentoo or one of the 1337distros you've never heard of before.

>And if you want to get a "better" distro, feel free to play around with Debian, Arch, Gentoo or one of the 1337distros you've never heard of before.
Like devuan, support devuan.

Has anyone here ever played any of the games that are bundled with kde-full?

I'd honestly go for Ubuntu. There isn't really anything you can do wrong with the installer. In a VM, just select "Use the entire disk" and you're good to go

kek no

Go with whatever you please. I mean, that's the entire point of having like a bazillion different distros

I don't know if Battle for Wesnoth is bundled with it, but it's a genuinely good Linux game

I've gotta remember to check that out some time. I've been seeing the name for years but never gave it a shot.

I don't know about KDE, but I've played these pastebin.com/rVwjEX9L

You know how you can select a font size for XTerm by Ctrl+RMB and selecting from Tiny, Small, Medium, etc?

How do I make that setting permanent across terminal sessions? For whatever reason, Xenial upgrade made my terminal fonts MASSIVE but didn't touch ANY of the other X font settings.

Setting the font manually to "Tiny" is close to the font size I used to have before the update, but I have to do that for every session and I'd rather not do that for obvious reasons.

You should. It's a great Turn-Based strategy game, well balanced, still in active development, muliplayer playable...

Nice selection, thanks.

It's not. I tried out KAtomic for about three minutes and it reminds me of those dumb WildTangent games that came with my Windows XP computer. Battle for Wesnoth looks pretty interesting though.

Did you try changing the default profile's font?

Set your .~/Xresources, mine is
xterm*maximized: true
xterm*background: black
xterm*foreground: grey
xterm*cursorColor: green
xterm*cursorBlink: false
xterm*faceName: Tamsyn:size=14:antialias=true
xterm*faceNameDoublesize: WenQuanYi Zen Hei
xterm*termName: xterm-256color
xterm*locale: true
xterm*utf8Title: true
xterm*dynamicColors: true
xterm*borderWidth: 0
then do xrdb ~/.Xresources, maybe add that to your profile.

Those games are more designed for a slow day in the office and should be compared to minesweeper instead of Battlefield.

Yeah, the contents of both .Xresources and .Xdefaults are the same with regards to font settings:
XTerm*faceName: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
xterm*faceSize: 8
xterm*locale:true

In fact, it's the same across all of my machines. It's just the laptop with Xenial on it that's having this issue.

Mandatory youtube.com/watch?v=DzY5Y6vBo7k

What games can be compared to battlefield?

In that case, I'd recommend you posting on askubuntu.com.

Include all related config files and you should get a response within a few hours

Don't forget IVAN!

github.com/attnam/ivan

Straightforward debian installation with gnome (default selection) - no login prompt, just a grayish screen

switching to another tty, login in and running startx goes past the gray screen but just show a debian wallpaper, nothing else, no mouse, no key works.

Is this a problem with gnome?

Whats causing these?

Best pdf/documents viewer?

The one I'm using.

Chromium/Chrome. Just select them as default PDF viewer

quality shitpost

I used mupdf

Do they occur regularly/always?
If so, have you tried booting to a live distro?

If they persist, it might either be a.) a buggy driver, or b.) a hardware problem

Haven't play it, speaking of which, FreedroidRPG needs our love, just hear their tracks youtube.com/watch?v=guMgUiqgW-w

The developer also made a presentation at FOSSDEM youtube.com/watch?v=icyE-S1NKIQ

bloat 0: less
bloat 1: mupdf/zathura
bloat 2: evince/Okular
bloat 3: calibre

>quality shitpost
Nigger, what if user A enjoys reading pdfs with less, but user B want's a comfy gui? There is no such thing like "best" program.

they seem random

>not reading your pdfs in vim

>providing bloat levels

Now this is a high quality post.

>bloat 0: less
>bloat 1: mupdf/zathura
>bloat 2: evince/Okular
>bloat 3: calibre

Just realised, the laptop screen is broken so I'm using an external screen. Dumbo.

Just saying your post was useless compared to the list you just did.
Would love that kind of list for other things.

>math pdf

Remember: Anything more than a shell, an editor and gcc is just bloatware in a distro

I guess the winner is mupdf because the epub support.

Is there a way to use less for epubs too?

Why does using any sort of Live CD make your heatsink fan and exhaust fan sound like they're going to fly away

Maybe you should try running a live image entirely from RAM.

This is probably one of the better ways to use a gorillion gigabytes of memory.

vim

au BufReadCmd *.epub call zip#Browse(expand(""))

I don't think they would show images though, or do they?

Will people laugh at my screenfetch if I have two screens with different resolutions?

No.

To be honest I'd laugh if you WEREN'T using assorted $10 monitors from thrift shops.

Gamers with matching $900 monitors would be running windows anyways.

(debian gnome) Just spent two hours or so trying to switch on which monitor should the login appear. What the fuck xorg.

Xorg -configure returns "number of created screens does not match number of detected devices"

xrandr never displayed anything else than "can't open display"

I'm switching the monitor, setting the primary option on xorg.conf but nothing changes! The only change is when there's an error in the file...

Starting to think gnome don't give a fuck about xorg.conf?

arch linux user here
I'm trying to figure out how to patch my terminus font but for the life of me i can't seem to do it
i'm an xterm user, and this is for the vim powerline symbols (vim-devicons or something like that)
how do i go about doing this?

This.
People seem to hate on Ubuntu for it being easy yet they complain about not enough people using Linux... hypocrisy at it's finest...

Those are different people saying those things.

xrandr --output ${name_of_display} --primary

what is the pacman version of apt-listchanges?

Pacman/Rosetta in your search engine.

stop posting

How do I stop posting?

Now do one set nice/ionice/trickle for debian daemons? Is manualy editing init.d scripts good practice?

>xrandr never displayed anything else than "can't open display"

Already tried that command : can't open display
The name of the display are LVDS1 and VGA1.
I'm pretty sure it's just gnome fucking up something at this point.

And it says can't open display because I'm in a tty, I can't run a shell while on X, because I only have access to one of those screens.

I just installed debian 8.5 Cinammon on my laptop. I'm trying to install the nvidia driver I downloaded with sh ./ driver.run from ctrl+alt+f1 but it still says i need to stop the xserver. How do I do it?

>I'm trying to install the nvidia driver I downloaded
Stop using the Windows mindset and installing things outside of your package manager. Either use the free driver bundled with Debian or use some of those extra repositories to install the proprietary one.

Should I try the jessie-backports one then?

update: cinammon is now on fallback mode and won't start. I guess I'll reinstall and stop trying to use steam

You know, I like linux.
But this kind of shit is so annoying.

It was indeed gnome reconfiguring the x server on its own and you can't do anything about it, it's fucking sad.

Hours of searching and the issue isn't solved, I guess I'll go straight to minimal.

I'm using Debian stable on a ARM device (Novena IMX.6). I want to move to testing but the 2D acceleration vivante/armada driver is provided by the makers themselves and doesn't support the latest xorg-server. I tried the regular modesetting driver and it wasn't worth it.

How can I move to testing while keeping my current xorg-server and not ruining everything?

KDE Neon should be more stable

maybe it should be but it's not, it's buggy as fuck

How can I blacklist a package from updating (Debian)?

I'm just wondering, for a storage only disk, is partitioning actually necessary?
Is there any reason not to just format the entire block device as a single filesystem?
I do that for disk images the whole time, why not with externals?
Partitioning may be necessary on boot disks so a bios can read the boot sector, but why bother on one purely for storage?
Is there anyone here who just doesn't?

you have to have at least one partition even if it's the whole drive for an os to read data/write data, but yeah for a storage drive not only is there no need for multiple partitions, it's pants on head retarded, it's also pohr to have multiple partitions on a system disk unless you're considering the boot sector a partition. the only time it's not retarded is in the case of multiple oses on the same disk

nevermind, found it
sudo apt-mark hold
sudo apt-mark unhold

Hi Sup Forums, I'm new to linux, and I got stuck at installing xfce4. I installed arch but I think that the xfce is trying to install on my usb drive because it says that I don't have enough free disk space (the usb drive is full). How do I change the install location of xfce4?

If ATI/AMD is the enemy of freedom and so is Nvidia, what graphics card should I buy?

You find out into which directory the package's files are installed and then mount that directory on a different storage device.

Do you guys use sudo often?
Can you make a command always run as root (like apt-get) without needing a password? (And is it good practice? for apt-get?)

Wait, if I make a empty 500gb file, then format it with mkfs, would you call that partitioned? It doesn't have a partition table, but it is still one chunk.
I'd argue it's not. It's a formatted block.

>Can you make a command always run as root (like apt-get) without needing a password?
Not really, that I know of at least.
But you can still install software by either using apt-get source to get the source code and compile it yourself or just install every package with dpkg -i --force-not-root --root= if it's dependent on other packages.
Also, include the specified to your $PATH.

post your $lsblk

I forgot to mention, read through dpkg's man page BEFORE doing what I wrote. It's important to know what it does exactly.

If I compile it myself, will apt-get be able to remove it?
If not this counts as manually installing stuff, which I've seen people advise against.

Well I'll just install sudo, I'm used to it anyway.

>If I compile it myself, will apt-get be able to remove it?
No, it doesn't.

>Well I'll just install sudo, I'm used to it anyway.
What distro did you install that you don't have sudo pre-installed?

Debian minimal

Hey /fglt/, I need an imageviewer that can scroll, zoom, pan, go to the next image, with one hand, preferably the left hand

viewnior, feh if you don't use a tiling WM.

really makes you think

Is KeePassX the best password manager for linux? I don't like the idea of having all my passwords in one place, but it's a better option than only having 2-3 passwords that aren't as secure for all my accounts...

Maybe?

Better than cloud shit at least.

Yes.

But I use keepass2 cause I'm on windows too.